Sony threatens legal action against company selling customized side panels for PS5

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By regnaston
Member since 2008 • 4681 Posts

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps5-faceplate-site-cancels-orders-after-sony-threatens-legal-action/1100-6483982/

This company which was known as PlateStation5 until Sony threatened legal action over their name changed their name to "Customize My Plates" has now said it will no longer sell the plates for the PS5 because Sony lawyers threatened action again saying the plates were the intellectual property of Sony.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61509 Posts

I saw that earlier. I can't really blame Sony, as i'll bet they've got things lined up for custom plates, as well as the fact that their initial name encroached on Sony's IP quite heavily. Definitely sucks, but I can't really fault Sony.

If this were Ninty just throwing lawyers at everyone, it may be different.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#3  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17832 Posts

Cows...

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39139 Posts

Etsy will most likely have a bunch and for cheap. No bid deal.

Avatar image for deactivated-631373f44e9fd
deactivated-631373f44e9fd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 deactivated-631373f44e9fd
Member since 2004 • 549 Posts

so just sell wraps? lol

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5267 Posts

Is the legal threat by Sony ongoing even after Customize My Plates changed its name a few days ago from PlateStation5?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#7 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69716 Posts

Makes sense to me. You can't take someone else's design and making money from it without some sort of agreement.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lundy86_4

@onesiphorus said:

Is the legal threat by Sony ongoing even after Customize My Plates changed its name a few days ago from PlateStation5?

Sony's lawyers also stated that their PS5 trademark extended to the plates, which is probably correct. Sony will likely sell plates through 3rd-party for a cut of the profits, so they may come to some kind of deal in the future.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 regnaston

@loonski said:

so just sell wraps? lol

that is what they are doing..IMO wraps will be a cheaper option anyways

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 regnaston
@onesiphorus said:

yep.. the Sony lawyers said the side plates were Sony's intellectual property

Does anyone recall if MS went after people selling the face plates for the 360? I know you can still buy them from 3rd parties now

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

Saw Xbox pope said he has some big announcements coming, wonder if he's teaming up with some publishers for custom plates on the Ps5....

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@regnaston:

Probably those pay royalties.

So they should have gone through sony.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@Pedro said:

Makes sense to me. You can't take someone else's design and making money from it without some sort of agreement.

Apparently Sony can lol.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58375 Posts

All the more reason to build a PC.

You wont have Corsair, NZXT, Phantek, or any other case manufacturer breathing down your neck for taking their panels to a paint shop or artist or welder to have them customized.

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4863 Posts

Does Sony have patents on the covers? If not, the company should be able to label them as "5th Generation P-Console covers" or something. This is as silly. Every phone case company doesn't have to licensed through Apple.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lundy86_4

@lhughey said:

Does Sony have patents on the covers? If not, the company should be able to label them as "5th Generation P-Console covers" or something. This is as silly. Every phone case company doesn't have to licensed through Apple.

Sony's lawyers argue that the faceplates are covered under the copyright.

Also, a protective case is different from the actual cover, so it wouldn't be the same.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44591 Posts

Who knows what could go wrong with covering that box with unauthorized covers, thing might go up in flames. I am worried of that happening without any third party variables.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

The good news is this probably means Sony plans to monetize different custom plates - which I know people gave been clamoring for. The bad news is they probably won't be cheap because they will be official licensed plastic plates

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4863 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:
@lhughey said:

Sony's lawyers argue that the faceplates are covered under the copyright.

Also, a protective case is different from the actual cover, so it wouldn't be the same.

Thanks for the copyright info. I just scanned the article, admittedly.

A protective case COULD be different from a console cover. But I would argue that it isn't. A phone case provides cosmetics and protection, just like this console cover does. I would also be willing to bet that cosmetics is a bigger selling point on phone cases than the degree of protection, otherwise people would be walking around with Otterbox looking bricks.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I'm filing this under don't care.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lundy86_4

@lhughey said:

Thanks for the copyright info. I just scanned the article, admittedly.

A protective case COULD be different from a console cover. But I would argue that it isn't. A phone case provides cosmetics and protection, just like this console cover does. I would also be willing to bet that cosmetics is a bigger selling point on phone cases than the degree of protection, otherwise people would be walking around with Otterbox looking bricks.

You could argue anything, but replacing a portion of the console with a 3rd-party component could well infringe on copyright.

A protective case is entirely different from the initial cover, as the protective case is designed to protect that very cover.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13668 Posts

Sony don't really have a case. The best they could do is threaten to void people's warranty for using a 3rd party mod.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13668 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

I saw that earlier. I can't really blame Sony, as i'll bet they've got things lined up for custom plates, as well as the fact that their initial name encroached on Sony's IP quite heavily. Definitely sucks, but I can't really fault Sony.

If this were Ninty just throwing lawyers at everyone, it may be different.

Doesn't really matter, unlicensed 3rd party modifications have been sold for a long time for electronics and machines. Including the faceplates for the Xbox 360. Maybe Sony want to monopolise the market, but it doesn't really hold much weight. Sony would have the harder job to prove their case.

Since when has the law been able to stop 3rd party alternatives of non invasive modifications? You could make a case against internal or external modifications which bypass anti piracy security. This is just a heavy weight corperate threat.

And they haven't really got much of a case with the name either. It could be argued either way.

"Sony's lawyers also stated that their PS5 trademark extended to the plates, which is probably correct."

They could claim the trademark extends to the electrical plug, doesn't mean it'll hold up.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9860 Posts

These should be pretty easy to make with a 3d printer, no? If so Sony won’t be able to police all the home brewers out there.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 tdkmillsy  Online
Member since 2003 • 5961 Posts

You cant blame a company for trying to ahead of the competition, but assuming there is the option to go through Sony they have done that.

But what if there isn't one because Sony haven't sorted out what they are going to do yet? At that point its a bit cruel to punish another company.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56214 Posts

Really Sony? Why not just hire these guys Sony to do the work for you and everyone wins. Including your consumers.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9407 Posts

inb4 Sony doesn't even sell different panels and only uses this feature to make custom consoles for bundles.

inb4 there are tons you can buy on ali-express and ebay.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8485 Posts

So Sony threatens legal action for trademark abused over similar sounding name but allows magazines with 'Official Playstation' in their names without having to do anything with it.

BlackShirt20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BlackShirt20
Member since 2005 • 2631 Posts

I was hoping to get a side panel that said “Sub RDNA 2 features, But Super fast loads”.

Shame.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7213 Posts

Sony so greedy. It’s a piece of plastic, so stupid.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@pc_rocks said:

So Sony threatens legal action for trademark abused over similar sounding name but allows magazines with 'Official Playstation' in their names without having to do anything with it.

The fact that they have nothing to do with them doesn't mean they didn't get permission from sony.

In fact the official PS magazine came for 10 years with a demo disk were in hell do you think those demos came from? They weren't printed by the magazine without having the help of sony.

I am sure also royalties were in place.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7712 Posts

ali express got you covered on the plates if you dont want to pay up for proprietary

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8485 Posts

@tormentos said:
@pc_rocks said:

The fact that they have nothing to do with them doesn't mean they didn't get permission from sony.

In fact the official PS magazine came for 10 years with a demo disk were in hell do you think those demos came from? They weren't printed by the magazine without having the help of sony.

I am sure also royalties were in place.

Cool you agree they are biased source who pads Sony games scores.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1351 Posts

Makes sense, Sony probably has their own plans for releasing aftermarket plates and accessories, that is ridiculous that this company thought they could come in and leech profits off Sony especially before it’s even released.

speedytimsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 speedytimsi
Member since 2003 • 1415 Posts

I don't blame Sony for doing that since they probably can milk that. But it's just 2 pieces of plastic LOL