sony really approached this gen intelligently

• 75 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

iLikeTheWoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 iLikeTheWoods
Member since 2007 • 170 Posts

something thats really come into prespective for me lately is that sony approached this gen really smartly by truly bracing for the future. i believe that they knew they'd get brutally panned initially for the high price and cell issues, but stuck to them because they knew that blu-ray would be the format of the future and that if devs got time with the celll and utilised it, amazing stuff could be done. so actually 'just wait' is very true. i personallly think that by mid 09 ps3 will be a significantly better console when better dev support for the cell has arrived, home is in full swing, and blu-ray is also in full swing, while the 360, despite being great, wont have much to expand on cos of dvds and a simpler processor.

though i do think it initially went worse then expected for sony and thats the reason for all this price drop, new-sku-being-announced-every-month business.

your thoughts

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts
Personally I think Sony made some really stupid decisions early on and now they are having to correct them.
htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 htekemerald
Member since 2004 • 7325 Posts

120F FPS and 4D graphics laugh at you

greenpyro33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 greenpyro33
Member since 2007 • 3872 Posts
please, Wii will obviously have best graphics. Not even close.
Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#5 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts

Personally I think Sony made some really stupid decisions early on and now they are having to correct them.Ibacai

However, there are quite a few mistakes they can't really correct, like Sixaxis. What if somebody wants to buy Lair (just go with it, OK?)? They're not going to know that they need Sixaxis, and its not going to be sold anymore. And if they get Sixaxis, they're gonna be thoroughly disappointed, thinking "Well, this seems kinda...tacked on." If they're gonna make a bad decision like this, they should at least go all the way with it (unless confusing the consumer is something they're into).

Gh0st_Of_0nyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Gh0st_Of_0nyx
Member since 2007 • 8992 Posts

How is:

600$ launch price

No rumble in the controller only to admit that rumble is needed a year later and screw the early adopters.

Multiplat games that look no better then there 360 countparts

Piss poor software sales

A smart way to enter this gen ?

jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts
Sony used a very intelligent move again with the PS3. But if you go back to the PS1 they did about the same thing while promoting the CD drive and then with the PS2 they did the same thing with the DVD. And then look at just how long thses systems were on the market with no changes in the technology from the time they were released, the only real changes were the basic shape and size of the consoles.
Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ibacai

[QUOTE="Ibacai"]Personally I think Sony made some really stupid decisions early on and now they are having to correct them.Video_Game_King

However, there are quite a few mistakes they can't really correct, like Sixaxis. What if somebody wants to buy Lair (just go with it, OK?)? They're not going to know that they need Sixaxis, and its not going to be sold anymore. And if they get Sixaxis, they're gonna be thoroughly disappointed, thinking "Well, this seems kinda...tacked on." If they're gonna make a bad decision like this, they should at least go all the way with it (unless confusing the consumer is something they're into).

The DS3 has the sixaxis motion sensing in it as well. Why do people think it doesn't?
tader-salad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 tader-salad
Member since 2008 • 842 Posts
Granted Sony made some bad desertions early on in this gen, but I think in the long run they will do all rite
ps3_4_eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ps3_4_eva
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Personally I think Sony made some really stupid decisions early on and now they are having to correct them.Ibacai

Blu-Ray laughes at you

Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#11 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts
[QUOTE="Video_Game_King"]

[QUOTE="Ibacai"]Personally I think Sony made some really stupid decisions early on and now they are having to correct them.Ibacai

The DS3 has the sixaxis motion sensing in it as well. Why do people think it doesn't?

It does? Do you have proof or something? And I'd think this has something to do with that.

tader-salad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 tader-salad
Member since 2008 • 842 Posts
[QUOTE="Ibacai"][QUOTE="Video_Game_King"]

[QUOTE="Ibacai"]Personally I think Sony made some really stupid decisions early on and now they are having to correct them.Video_Game_King

It does? Do you have proof or something?

Look it up man on the information highway8)
Dahaka-UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Dahaka-UK
Member since 2005 • 6915 Posts
No infact they approached this gen really badly pricing there console a rediculous amounts with hardly any games worth a damn, they've basically just slowly creeped in solely on it's name and it's big hitter rehash games are coming soon. PS3 current line up is very shallow at the moment, with mostly multiplats an hardly any exclusives.
iLikeTheWoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 iLikeTheWoods

i agree, they failed to produce big system sellers early and paid the price, but regarding what they decided to put in the ps3, they definetely made the right choice.

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ibacai

Do you have proof it doesn't?  http://gizmodo.com/375452/lightning-review-playstation-3-dualshock-3-rumble-controllerhttp://www.destructoid.com/in-wake-of-dualshock-3-release-sony-discontinues-sixaxis-79490.phtml There is mine.

[QUOTE="Ibacai"]Personally I think Sony made some really stupid decisions early on and now they are having to correct them.ps3_4_eva

Blu-Ray laughes at you

I like Blu-ray, so sue me.
ps3_4_eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ps3_4_eva

Yes it has both SIXAXIS and Dualshock in it...why in the world do so many people think it doesn't/can't handle it?

Dahaka-UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Dahaka-UK
Member since 2005 • 6915 Posts

Lots of people already have being importing the DS3 from Japan and it definitely does have six axis controls insides. Besides they wouldn't just rip it out cause motion sensing is used in MGS4 as a gameplay feature.

Firelore29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Firelore29
Member since 2007 • 4158 Posts

Anyone who thinks Sony was smart in their decisions about the PS3 is simple uneducated. Sony has gone from being market leader to struggling for second and has lost a small fortune in the process. I simply fail to understand how that can be a good thing.

jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts

They didn't remove sixaxis, instead they just added the rumble feature. Anyone that knows anything about games knows this.

iLikeTheWoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 iLikeTheWoods
i'd just like to add that if console were upgradeable like pcs i'd be the first one to say that sony are idiots as we dont need most of that stuff now, but once you configure your console upgrading is very limited so its a permanent decision, microsoft decided to put in what would be really good at the time of launch, sony decided to put in what would be really good a couple of years down the line.
ps3_4_eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ps3_4_eva
[QUOTE="Video_Game_King"][QUOTE="Ibacai"][QUOTE="Video_Game_King"]

[QUOTE="Ibacai"]Personally I think Sony made some really stupid decisions early on and now they are having to correct them.Ibacai

Do you have proof it doesn't? There is mine.

[QUOTE="Ibacai"]Personally I think Sony made some really stupid decisions early on and now they are having to correct them.ps3_4_eva

Blu-Ray laughes at you

That was an ignorant statement, I like Blu-ray.

You like Blu-Ray, doesnt mean it cant laugh at u

Pietrooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Pietrooper
Member since 2008 • 1549 Posts

What? DUALSHOCK HAS SIXAXIS. Reply to this :|

I HAVE 3 DUALSHOCK CONTROLLERS, THEY ARE ALL SIXAXIS...

I'm sorry, but your 'prove it' line was stupid :|

EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 EmperorSupreme
Member since 2006 • 7686 Posts

Anyone who thinks Sony was smart in their decisions about the PS3 is simple uneducated. Sony has gone from being market leader to struggling for second and has lost a small fortune in the process. I simply fail to understand how that can be a good thing.

Firelore29

When you say struggling for second you aren't including PS2 or PSP sales both still selling quite well for Sony. Sony's hardly struggling for #2 when compared to X360 considering it outsold X360 it's first year on the market. The only thing X360 is hanging onto is it's 1 year advantage competing without PS3 and only against PS2.

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ibacai
i'd just like to add that if console were upgradeable like pcs i'd be the first one to say that sony are idiots as we dont need most of that stuff now, but once you configure your console upgrading is very limited so its a permanent decision, microsoft decided to put in what would be really good at the time of launch, sony decided to put in what would be really good a couple of years down the line.iLikeTheWoods
What is Sony adding hardware wise in the next few years? And remember....HDMI
Vis-a-Vis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Vis-a-Vis
Member since 2006 • 1977 Posts
All three companies are making stupid decisions, it's just Sony's were laughably bad, not saying they made bigger mistakes, it's just the mistakes they made were so darn funny.
UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts
So you think Sony released the PS3 without expecting it to sell well out of the gate? :| I'm sure Sony is losing a lot of money with these price drops because the PS3 costs a lot more than 360 to produce. The only reason they're dropping the price is because sales have been beyond awful.
Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

:lol:

If you call the death of 2 SKU's, rumble, poor interface, bazzillion price drops and dead promises intelligence.

ps3_4_eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ps3_4_eva

Blu-Ray laughes at you

I like Blu-ray, so sue me.

good one *rolls eyes and leaves thread*

iLikeTheWoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 iLikeTheWoods

[QUOTE="iLikeTheWoods"]i'd just like to add that if console were upgradeable like pcs i'd be the first one to say that sony are idiots as we dont need most of that stuff now, but once you configure your console upgrading is very limited so its a permanent decision, microsoft decided to put in what would be really good at the time of launch, sony decided to put in what would be really good a couple of years down the line.Ibacai

no, what i'm saying is that its very difficult to add hardware-wise to consoles so sony were smart in making sure they put in more advanced tech then competitors so that the ps3 would grow more then its competitors

Pietrooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Pietrooper
Member since 2008 • 1549 Posts

[QUOTE="iLikeTheWoods"]i'd just like to add that if console were upgradeable like pcs i'd be the first one to say that sony are idiots as we dont need most of that stuff now, but once you configure your console upgrading is very limited so its a permanent decision, microsoft decided to put in what would be really good at the time of launch, sony decided to put in what would be really good a couple of years down the line.Ibacai

HDMI is not needed, remember what Microsoft said?

EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 EmperorSupreme

If you call the death of 2 SKU's, rumble, poor interface, bazzillion price drops and dead promises intelligence.

Truth_Hurts_U

So dropping the price from $599 and $499 to $499 and $399 = bazzillion price drops??

Increasing the drive size as harddrive prices have come down is considered bad now??

I guess a huge spike in sales also = poor intelligence

PS. They've won multiple industry awards for XMB, it's considered one of the best user interfaces ever

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ibacai

[QUOTE="Ibacai"][QUOTE="iLikeTheWoods"]i'd just like to add that if console were upgradeable like pcs i'd be the first one to say that sony are idiots as we dont need most of that stuff now, but once you configure your console upgrading is very limited so its a permanent decision, microsoft decided to put in what would be really good at the time of launch, sony decided to put in what would be really good a couple of years down the line.iLikeTheWoods

no, what i'm saying is that its very difficult to add hardware-wise to consoles so sony were smart in making sure they put in more advanced tech then competitors so that the ps3 would grow more then its competitors

That's the exact opposite of what your said. Maybe you put Sony and MS in the wrong spots of your thread.
good one *rolls eyes and leaves thread*ps3_4_eva
Yes, I though my last post to you was rather rude and changed it. I'm not perfect. *shrug*
Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Truth_Hurts_U

So dropping the price from $599 and $499 to $499 and $399 = bazzillion price drops??

Increasing the drive size as harddrive prices have come down is considered bad now??

PS. They've won multiple industry awards for XMB, it's considered one of the best user interfaces ever

EmperorSupreme

$500 to $400 20GB.

$600 to $500 60GB. Then dropped again after 80GB.

$400 40GB.

$500 80GB.

Should have been that price right out of the gate.

They did more then increase the HDD size... They also rip a million features out of the system. Yet your still paying the same price. Awesome LOL!

XMB is a joke and as Sony tweaks it maybe they will get more memory back... Not to-mention add an interface menu while you play games. So much for award wining garbage.

Ragashahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ragashahs
Member since 2005 • 8785 Posts

How is:

600$ launch price

No rumble in the controller only to admit that rumble is needed a year later and screw the early adopters.

Piss poor software sales

Gh0st_Of_0nyx
if you read the post tc is talking about how sony future proofed teh PS3 rather than just focus in teh near present like 360 did
iLikeTheWoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 iLikeTheWoods
[QUOTE="iLikeTheWoods"]

[QUOTE="Ibacai"][QUOTE="iLikeTheWoods"]i'd just like to add that if console were upgradeable like pcs i'd be the first one to say that sony are idiots as we dont need most of that stuff now, but once you configure your console upgrading is very limited so its a permanent decision, microsoft decided to put in what would be really good at the time of launch, sony decided to put in what would be really good a couple of years down the line.Ibacai

That's the exact opposite of what your said. Maybe you put Sony and MS in the wrong spots of your thread.

i guess i should explain this again,

when ms launched the 360 they focused on adding hardware that would be immediately accsesible which gave it the upper hand games wise

when sony launched the ps3 they focused on putting in unknown software that would be hated initially but would perform in the future

what i was saying in my post is that if consoles were upgradeable sony should have made a console like ms and have added all these feature like blu-ray and cell later on when they were better embraced, but since this isnt possible sony had no choice but to put in these features from the start, which came at the cost of a high priced console, but will reap its rewards in the future.

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ibacai
[QUOTE="Ibacai"][QUOTE="iLikeTheWoods"]

[QUOTE="Ibacai"][QUOTE="iLikeTheWoods"]i'd just like to add that if console were upgradeable like pcs i'd be the first one to say that sony are idiots as we dont need most of that stuff now, but once you configure your console upgrading is very limited so its a permanent decision, microsoft decided to put in what would be really good at the time of launch, sony decided to put in what would be really good a couple of years down the line.iLikeTheWoods

when ms launched the 360 they focused on adding hardware that would be immediately accsesible which gave it the upper hand games wise

when sony launched the ps3 they focused on putting in unknown software that would be hated initially but would perform in the future

what i was saying in my post is that if consoles were upgradeable sony should have made a console like ms and have added all these feature like blu-ray and cell later on when they were better embraced, but since this isnt possible sony had no choice but to put in these features from the start, which came at the cost of a high priced console, but will reap its rewards in the future.

Now I see.
UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 UssjTrunks
[QUOTE="Truth_Hurts_U"]

EmperorSupreme

They've increased harddrive spaces to accomodate installations.
EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 EmperorSupreme
[QUOTE="EmperorSupreme"][QUOTE="Truth_Hurts_U"]

UssjTrunks

Try again... Find on a reputable site like newegg a 2.5" sata 20gb drive that is less than a 40gb 2.5" sata drive. Sony did the right thing, 20gb drives have gotten more expensive than the 40gb drives it was smart of them to move to the 40gb and 80gb drives at the same prices. Of course to lemmings that's bad because they are stuck with Microsofts proprietary 20gb drive or their outrageously priced 120gb drive.

iLikeTheWoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 iLikeTheWoods
[QUOTE="iLikeTheWoods"][QUOTE="Ibacai"][QUOTE="iLikeTheWoods"]

[QUOTE="Ibacai"][QUOTE="iLikeTheWoods"]i'd just like to add that if console were upgradeable like pcs i'd be the first one to say that sony are idiots as we dont need most of that stuff now, but once you configure your console upgrading is very limited so its a permanent decision, microsoft decided to put in what would be really good at the time of launch, sony decided to put in what would be really good a couple of years down the line.Ibacai

Now I see.

so, d'you agree with the overall topic and what im trying to say?

the_h_bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 the_h_bomb
Member since 2007 • 3182 Posts

What the heck?

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Truth_Hurts_U

Try again... Find on a reputable site like newegg a 2.5" sata 20gb drive that is less than a 40gb 2.5" sata drive. Sony did the right thing, 20gb drives have gotten more expensive than the 40gb drives it was smart of them to move to the 40gb and 80gb drives at the same prices. Of course to lemmings that's bad because they are stuck with Microsofts proprietary 20gb drive or their outrageously priced 120gb drive.

EmperorSupreme

As game increase their mandatory installs on the PS3. Us 20GB's will still be trying to fill it up with useless garbage. But you have no choice on the matter. It's either install or don't play LOL. THE FUTURE IS THE NOW!!!

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 UssjTrunks
[QUOTE="UssjTrunks"][QUOTE="EmperorSupreme"][QUOTE="Truth_Hurts_U"]

EmperorSupreme

That's fine because they're not the ones installing their games.
giancarlo123x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 giancarlo123x
Member since 2008 • 166 Posts
ps3
EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 EmperorSupreme
[QUOTE="EmperorSupreme"]

Truth_Hurts_U

As game increase their mandatory installs on the PS3. Us 20GB's will still be trying to fill it up with useless garbage. But you have no choice on the matter. It's either install or don't play LOL. THE FUTURE IS THE NOW!!!

Sad when lemmings are trying to claim ownage over harddrives and installs when it was MS who started the trend last generation. Keep in mind it's Microsoft that took a step backwards this gen. With Arcade/Core that don't have a drive and Premium owners who only have 14gb of usable space. Meanwhile PS3 owners can easily upgrade at anytime they want with any size drive they want with any brand they want. Do you think I'm sweating installs?? I've got a 500gb esata drive connected to my internal PS3 Sata port and it cost me $119 and that was over a year ago.

colmusterd28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46 colmusterd28
Member since 2006 • 2854 Posts

How is:

600$ launch price

Piss poor software sales

Gh0st_Of_0nyx

thank you... saved me 5 minutes of my life and possible moderation....

Personally, this is hands down the worst thread I have ever read. Anyone with half a brain can tell you that Sony has been an absolute mess in this gen. If not for a strong foothold in Japan (as compared to MS) and the 100+ million consoles they sold with the ps2, The ps3 is nothing more than an ugly dreamcast... I defy anyone to prove me wrong...

worst thread I've ever read, I'm actually bookmarking it and then I'm gonna go throw up.

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts
[QUOTE="Video_Game_King"][QUOTE="Ibacai"][QUOTE="Video_Game_King"]

Yes it has both SIXAXIS and Dualshock in it...why in the world do so many people think it doesn't/can't handle it?

Because sony themselves said it was impossible for them to fit rumble and motion sensing in the same controller back when they were damage controlling over the lawsuit.
iLikeTheWoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 iLikeTheWoods
[QUOTE="Gh0st_Of_0nyx"]

How is:

600$ launch price

Piss poor software sales

colmusterd28

Personally, this is hands down the worst thread I have ever read. Anyone with half a brain can tell you that Sony has been an absolute mess in this gen. If not for a strong foothold in Japan (as compared to MS) and the 100+ million consoles they sold with the ps2, The ps3 is nothing more than an ugly dreamcast... I defy anyone to prove me wrong...

worst thread I've ever read, I'm actually bookmarking it and then I'm gonna go throw up.

your obviously half fanboy, half hater with no damn respect for anyone else. only a true fanboy can hate like that on someones opinion. and if you agree with the post you qouted your also either pretty dumb or very ignorant as the topic does state that the ps3 entered this gen badly. the topic is about how the ps3 will do down the line and not how it was during launch months. while i know theyres nothing i can do to convince since your an uber fanboy i just hopr you can be realistic for a moment and consider what the thread is saying.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Truth_Hurts_U

Sad when lemmings are trying to claim ownage over harddrives and installs when it was MS who started the trend last generation. Keep in mind it's Microsoft that took a step backwards this gen. With Arcade/Core that don't have a drive and Premium owners who only have 14gb of usable space. Meanwhile PS3 owners can easily upgrade at anytime they want with any size drive they want with any brand they want. Do you think I'm sweating installs?? I've got a 500gb esata drive connected to my internal PS3 Sata port and it cost me $119 and that was over a year ago.

EmperorSupreme

HAHA game installs on Xbox 1? Did you ever own an Xbox 1? The only time there was an install was to UPDATE the OS on the Xbox. 8GB's that I never got to use... Because there was nothing to use it for except saving.

While your worrying about upgrading your HDD and adding to the cost of your PS3... I'm playing games.

JB730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 JB730
Member since 2004 • 3375 Posts
[QUOTE="Gh0st_Of_0nyx"]

How is:

600$ launch price

Piss poor software sales

colmusterd28

rofl

you know what, i should listen to these experts at system wars more often

according to them, going from the most dominant console in gaming history (PS2), to last place in the console market (PS3) is a SMART way to do business!

normally, that would sound like complete idiocy to me, but these experts at system wars are so convincing!