Sony plunged $10 billion after its PS5 sales cut. But a bigger issue is its near decade low games margin

• 132 results
Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#101  Edited By Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6943 Posts
@kvallyx said:
@silentchief said:
@kvallyx said:
@silentchief said:

I expect they will lose half their install base within 5 years if they do day and date, but will see.

Sony won't lose a single console gamer with the games coming to PC day one. They didn't lose a single console owner when Helldivers came out day one on PC.

Yet they missed their sales target by 4 million. I'd say they have already lost millions of console gamers as the migration is starting.

Is that why all the gaming industry sales are down and missing targets? Sony isn't unique in the latest numbers that came out this past week.

No gamers are selling their PS5s (or NOT buying PS5s) to get PCs for Helldivers or any other Sony first party game.

Depends on the company. Nintendos sales are down because people are waiting for the Switch 2. Sony's are down because they haven't had an exclusive announced anyone cares about since Wolverine and people are moving to PC.

That's because Helldivers isn't a system seller. People bought PS5's for Spider-Man 2 but the crowd has come and gone. Sony needs some announcements or they will continue to bleed.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#102 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13038 Posts

@silentchief said:
@kvallyx said:

Is that why all the gaming industry sales are down and missing targets? Sony isn't unique in the latest numbers that came out this past week.

No gamers are selling their PS5s (or NOT buying PS5s) to get PCs for Helldivers or any other Sony first party game.

and people are moving to PC.

We will have to agree to disagree.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#103 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69856 Posts

Sony stock has been shitty for quite sometime so nothing has changed.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8176 Posts
@silentchief said:
@Antwan3K said:
@silentchief said:
@Antwan3K said:

[...]

[...]

As for " my precious old way of doing things" tell that to Nintendo who keeps breaking records, because they have something that actually matters.....exclusives.

thanks for proving my point..

Xbox is currently generating more gaming revenue than Nintendo.. that's a fact.. so you can go around celebrating "record unit sales" and "exclusives" all you want, gamers are still spending more money with Xbox than Nintendo and these companies are in the money business..

as a matter of fact, Xbox is bigger than Windows for Microsoft at this point..

So if Microsoft (with a "dead" console) can increase their revenue potential this degree by expanding to PC, cloud, and mobile, imagine what Sony could do with a dominant console and the same strategy..

it's simple math.. and the Sony CEO agrees with that math..

you might as well start shopping for that PC build now.. and PlayStation won't blink an eye as they continue to be the dominant player in console gaming along with higher software sales for their 1st party titles on PC..

Are you really that dense?

Xbox is only generating more revenue because they just bought the world's largest third party publisher and counted that revenue as their own 🤣🤣. They had to spend nearly 80 billion dollars the past three years to have a higher revenue then Nintendo as they purchased Bethesda, Minecraft and more. In other words they spent more money on game companies than what Nintendo was worth. It's why despite Microsofts higher revenue Nintendo has far higher profits. Again this isn't a strategy that will work for Sony.

It would fail miserably unless they buy up every 3rd party publisher which they won't because they can't.

If it's simple math Activision and EA would be worth more then Playstation but they are not are they?

It's a bad move to follow Microsoft into failure. Higher revenue with negative profits generally isn't a good strategy.

spoken like a true fanboy.. Sony bought insomniac and has made a ton of money off of games like Spiderman with no complaints from you.. Microsoft breaks out the adult wallet and buys ABK and it's "b bu but!!1!"..

so all I'm seeing in the above response is a moving of the goalpost to justify why "the Xbox brand is dead" yet they have more active users and are generating more revenue than Nintendo.. i'm sorry but the facts don't support your narrative and Microsoft's strategy is clearly working for Xbox..

and at the end of the day, that's all you're going to do as Sony continues down the same path as Microsoft.. move the goalpost..

and honestly, the conversation is moot.. Sony's strategy has already changed.. we'll just have to wait and see who's correct:

The multi-billion dollar company with decades of experience in the gaming industry (Sony) or the console fanboy who desperately wants to maintain ammo for a non-existent console war (You)..

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 Antwan3K
@ghostofgolden said:
@silentchief said:

A[...]

Antwan doesn’t really understand any of this stuff. Thats why PR works so well on him. He went from “revenue doesn’t matter” to “Xbox makes more revenue than Nintendo” when Xbox creeped back above them. Which Xbox has done many times before, because like you stated, they get TONS of revenue from Activision, TakeTwo and EA that Nintendo doesn’t get. But what folks like Antwan don’t understand is Nintendo gets to keep a FAR bigger portion of their revenue because it comes from their games. Which is where profit margins come in. But once you do that, Antwan gets really lost and claims you’re “moving the goal post.” It’s best to just walk away from the discussion right there.

yep, "revenue doesn't matter" to the end-user.. but revenue is clearly a conversation to be had in financial discussions (ie this thread)..

you're just butthurt because your worship of "Revenue Wars" means that Nintendo is firmly in "3rd place" with a "losing strategy"..

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Antwan3K
@Pedro said:

Revenue no longer matters again.😏

noticed that too huh.. 😉

BIOKILLER123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 BIOKILLER123
Member since 2010 • 1077 Posts

I wonder if Microsoft and Sony would consider making a Home console together? Before Microsoft made their first Home console they did try to team up with Nintendo and, Ninty told them no.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#108 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9556 Posts

@BIOKILLER123: Microsoft and Sony made home computer based video game consoles together called the MSX and the MSX2. It is the platform metal gear ran on.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#109  Edited By onesiphorus  Online
Member since 2014 • 5271 Posts

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

@BIOKILLER123: Microsoft and Sony made home computer based video game consoles together called the MSX and the MSX2. It is the platform metal gear ran on.

I am unsure many Western gamers are familiar with the MSX and MSX2 as they were available only in Japan. Not only that, they were released in an era (1980s) when PCs were like home consoles.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Silentchief
@Antwan3K said:
@ghostofgolden said:
@silentchief said:

A[...]

Antwan doesn’t really understand any of this stuff. Thats why PR works so well on him. He went from “revenue doesn’t matter” to “Xbox makes more revenue than Nintendo” when Xbox creeped back above them. Which Xbox has done many times before, because like you stated, they get TONS of revenue from Activision, TakeTwo and EA that Nintendo doesn’t get. But what folks like Antwan don’t understand is Nintendo gets to keep a FAR bigger portion of their revenue because it comes from their games. Which is where profit margins come in. But once you do that, Antwan gets really lost and claims you’re “moving the goal post.” It’s best to just walk away from the discussion right there.

yep, "revenue doesn't matter" to the end-user.. but revenue is clearly a conversation to be had in financial discussions (ie this thread)..

you're just butthurt because your worship of "Revenue Wars" means that Nintendo is firmly in "3rd place" with a "losing strategy"..

But you're not understanding that Microsoft bought their way into that. Thst isn't a strategy that will work for Sony.

Nintendo also has far larger profit margins then MS in the gaming segment.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2551 Posts

@silentchief said:
@Antwan3K said:
@ghostofgolden said:

But you're not understanding that Microsoft bought their way into that. Thst isn't a strategy that will work for Sony.

Antwan clearly doesn't get it. "A losing strategy" where Nintendo has the most money when all the bills are paid... The knock against PlayStation right now is that they are making so much revenue but have less than a 6% margin. Their spending is out of control and segments that should be making 20% margins aren't. There is some gross mismanagement going on there. While at Xbox they are spending for all their revenue, and having to put the games from the developers they bought on rival platforms to recoup the money. While they miss all their growth and revenue targets... Congrats?

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1308 Posts
Cows
Cows
Sony
Sony

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 KvallyX

@ghostofgolden said:
@silentchief said:
@Antwan3K said:
@ghostofgolden said:

Antwan clearly doesn't get it. "A losing strategy" where Nintendo has the most money when all the bills are paid... The knock against PlayStation right now is that they are making so much revenue but have less than a 6% margin. Their spending is out of control and segments that should be making 20% margins aren't. There is some gross mismanagement going on there. While at Xbox they are spending for all their revenue, and having to put the games from the developers they bought on rival platforms to recoup the money. While they miss all their growth and revenue targets... Congrats?

That’s the thing though. They don’t need to “recoup” the money. They still have the asset. And as a consumer we are not concerned about the profitability of Sony or MS.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2551 Posts

@kvallyx said:

That’s the thing though. They don’t need to “recoup” the money. They still have the asset. And as a consumer we are not concerned about the profitability of Sony or MS.

You say that until the studios get shutdown and the games you love stop coming out. Healthy profit margins mean you keep getting what you enjoy. If games don’t perform well on the balance sheet, investments in future titles start to dry up. I really don’t understand why gamers don’t get this.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 KvallyX

@ghostofgolden said:
@kvallyx said:

You say that until the studios get shutdown and the games you love stop coming out. Healthy profit margins mean you keep getting what you enjoy. If games don’t perform well on the balance sheet, investments in future titles start to dry up. I really don’t understand why gamers don’t get this.

Most gamers don't know this or care about this. Most gamers don't even know what first party is, nor do they know who publishers are. They just buy fun games. They don't care about financial statements.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44158 Posts

This thread is starting to Concern me a bit. lol :P

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Silentchief

@kvallyx said:
@ghostofgolden said:
@silentchief said:
@Antwan3K said:
@ghostofgolden said:

For me I want them to be rewarded when they make shit I like and punished when they make trash, so hopefully we will get more of what I like.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Silentchief
@ghostofgolden said:
@kvallyx said:

Well said!

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 KvallyX

@silentchief said:
@kvallyx said:

For me I want them to be rewarded when they make shit I like and punished when they make trash, so hopefully we will get more of what I like.

All I care about are games and gaming with friends. I don't care about rewards, bonuses, profits, revenue. I worry about that stuff at home and at work. PS and Xbox aren't going anywhere (nor is Nintendo), so all good here.

Remember Silent, this is SW. I am just fuckin' with ya.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#120 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12063 Posts

Just glad I can play any Sony game on my Steam Deck soon. 😘

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#121 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39250 Posts

@kuu2 said:

Permanently coping🤭And i am glad to know that you can't wait to play Sony titles, wish you thought the same about your xbox games. But since they're made for the $1 renting service, you know damn well that their quality is far behind sony's, and that's why you're glad to see one Sony title to come out on pc per year😅😅😅

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 KvallyX

@kuu2 said:

Good call!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#123 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69856 Posts

@kuu2: Multiplatform for the win

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Antwan3K

@ghostofgolden said:
[...]

[...]

"A losing strategy" where Nintendo has the most money when all the bills are paid...

[...]

Nintendo has a "losing strategy" according to your logic; not mine..

according to your "Revenue Wars" nonsense, Nintendo is 3rd place.. according to your logic, consumers are voting with thier wallets and they simply prefer PlayStation and Xbox.. 🤷‍♂️

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Antwan3K
@silentchief said:
@Antwan3K said:
@ghostofgolden said:
@silentchief said:

A[...]

i understand just fine.. what you don't understand is that it doesn't matter.. the end result is that Xbox is doing better than ever before.. Microsoft invested heavily into gaming and now their gaming division is generating more money than Windows..

and i personally don't care who's making more money.. i was just demonstrating that you can't claim "Xbox is dead" when they have more active users and are generating more revenue than Nintendo..

BIOKILLER123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 BIOKILLER123
Member since 2010 • 1077 Posts

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Thanks.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Silentchief

@Antwan3K said:
@silentchief said:
@Antwan3K said:
@ghostofgolden said:
@silentchief said:

A[...]

i understand just fine.. what you don't understand is that it doesn't matter.. the end result is that Xbox is doing better than ever before.. Microsoft invested heavily into gaming and now their gaming division is generating more money than Windows..

and i personally don't care who's making more money.. i was just demonstrating that you can't claim "Xbox is dead" when they have more active users and are generating more revenue than Nintendo..

Generating more revenue and generating more profits are not the same thing. There's a reason Microsoft hasn't posted their profit margins for their gaming divisions and that's because they are probably not very good. Buying up half the industry and praising their revenue is irrelevant. Most companies would be bankrupt if they attempted what Microsoft has done but they are a two trillion dollar company off their other businesses so its a non issue to them.

They have a loss leading strategy that neither Sony nor Nintendo could copy.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Antwan3K
@silentchief said:
[...]

Generating more revenue and generating more profits are not the same thing. There's a reason Microsoft hasn't posted their profit margins for their gaming divisions and that's because they are probably not very good. Buying up half the industry and praising their revenue is irrelevant. Most companies would be bankrupt if they attempted what Microsoft has done but they are a two trillion dollar company off their other businesses so its a non issue to them.

no one said they were.. but when these companies are compared in financial reports, revenue is typically the comparison point..

so the result is still the same: Xbox has more active users than both PlayStation and Nintendo.. Xbox generates more revenue than Nintendo.. plain facts that prove Xbox's strategy is working for them..

another fact is that PlayStation is going in the same direction.. Sony's strategy has already changed (per Jim Ryan), they changed it because the "old way" is no longer sustainable (per Shawn Layden), and the future of PlayStation is console, PC, mobile, and cloud (per the CEO)..

"console, PC, mobile, and cloud".. now, who's strategy does that sound like?.. 🤔😏

dude, you're still trying to talk in hypotheticals when this is already happening.. either accept it or go build that PC..

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Silentchief
@Antwan3K said:
@silentchief said:
[...]

no one said they were.. but when these companies are compared in financial reports, revenue is typically the comparison point..

so the result is still the same: Xbox has more active users than both PlayStation and Nintendo.. Xbox generates more revenue than Nintendo.. plain facts that prove Xbox's strategy is working for them..

another fact is that PlayStation is going in the same direction.. Sony's strategy has already changed (per Jim Ryan), they changed it because the "old way" is no longer sustainable (per Shawn Layden), and the future of PlayStation is console, PC, mobile, and cloud (per the CEO)..

"console, PC, mobile, and cloud".. now, who's strategy does that sound like?.. 🤔😏

dude, you're still trying to talk in hypotheticals when this is already happening.. either accept it or go build that PC..

More active users because they bought up half the industry and put them on a subscription service 🤣.

Sony would need to buy at least two major publishers to have the same output now. Again Somy will force themselves from 1st place platform holder to 3rd place publisher if they focused on the Day 1 strategy that lems are so desperate for them to do.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44158 Posts

@kvallyx said:
@kuu2 said:

Good call!

I'll wait to play them all on the MS X-Deck coming soon. ;o

lol :P

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Antwan3K
@silentchief said:
@Antwan3K said:
@silentchief said:
[...]

[...]

More active users because they bought up half the industry and put them on a subscription service 🤣.

Sony would need to buy at least two major publishers to have the same output now. Again Somy will force themselves from 1st place platform holder to 3rd place publisher if they focused on the Day 1 strategy that lems are so desperate for them to do.

Xbox has more active users because they have a relatively seamless ecosystem across consoles, PC, cloud, and mobile.. a strategy that Sony is aspiring to follow:

"it will be ubiquitous. Wherever there is computing, users will be able to play their favorite games, seamlessly. Gamers will be able to find a place to play in different spaces." - Kenichiro Yoshida, Sony CEO

and

"multi-platform continues to be the way forward" - Hiroki Totoki, PlayStation Chairman

don't be mad at the messenger.. this is all coming from Sony.. and Day One on PC is already here since they are focusing on live service games with no major singleplayer release until sometime in 2025~2026 (and alot can change between now and then)..

so, again, either accept it or build that PC.. PlayStation will be fine either way.. 🤷‍♂️

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16566 Posts

@ghostofgolden: most of the games coming out of AAA studios are shitty nowadays, while indies are hitting it out of the park. I mean, look at all the big studios releasing remakes and remasters. Mean while, its the indies that are making games like palworld, helldivers 2, lies of p, etc etc.