Sony Playstation 3 Sales Pass 5 Million Worldwide

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts

Vgchartz.com, the most comprehensive Videogame charts in the world has announced that lifetime sales of Sony's Playstation 3 have passed the 5 million mark on a worldwide basis as of October 13th. (*)

As VGchartz.com data shows, (**)the console, first released on November 11th 2006 in the US, six days later in Japan and on march 23rd 2007 in Europe, sold on a weekly average of 105,208 units, mainly competing with Microsoft's Xbox 360 which currently stands at 11.83 million units sold.

Life to date (LTD) sales in the 3 biggest markets are 2.13 million in the Americas, 1.24 million in Japan and 1.70 million in other regions (including Europe, Australia and a few niche markets) making for a total of 5.07 million units sold.

After having a hard time outselling its competitors in the first half of 2007 the Playstation 3´s sales (while still far below Nintendo Wii´s weekly sales) began to raise in the last weeks mainly due to a recent price drop and the launch of the 40GB Playstation 3 in Europe. The price drops impact was even strong enough to catapult PS3´s "Other/Europe" sales to a total of 80,000 units the weeks ending 13th October 2007, helping it to outsell the Wii (which sold 75,000 units during the same week) and the Xbox 360 (trailing behind at 42,000 units) in this region.

Although it is unlikely for the PS3 in Europe to keep its momentum at the same level (sales will probably settle below the 70,000 mark) the price drop is a big step for Sony to hit mass market appeal.

Feel free to visit our weekly Europe/Others sales page for more information.

Notes:

(*)Vgchartz.com tracks consoles sold to consumers and not to retailers and other outlets. This explains why numbers on the front page of VGchartz.com are always a bit lower than the numbers given by the manufacturers themselves: To Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo every console that made it to retailers is "sold". In reality these consoles may be lying in retailer warehouses and outlets for weeks until they are sold to consumers.

(**)Vgchartz.com projections are based on sampled retailer data from all over the world. Vgchartz.com collects data from a carefully selected group of retailers and determines projected sales figures for entire regions with knowledge of market size, retailer market shares, retailer bias and so forth - the same methods used by larger and more established sales tracking firms. To learn more about VGchartz´ methodology of tracking sales data,contact us (admin@vgchartz.com) or visit our website to find out more.

Source

ljlrj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#2 ljlrj
Member since 2007 • 14800 Posts
it about time
Lilac_Benjie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Lilac_Benjie
Member since 2006 • 12287 Posts

It's still selling less than the competition week after week, and more than halfway behind already.

I fail to see how Sony intend on persuading Konami to maintain Metal Gear Solid 4's continued exclusivity. Especially since only one prior game in the entire Metal Gear Solid franchise has remained Playstation exclusive.

amorbis1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 amorbis1001
Member since 2007 • 2281 Posts
bout time for real. now if only the could get a decent game worth playing on that sexy console of theres.
BreakingPoint8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 BreakingPoint8
Member since 2007 • 3347 Posts
It would be past 6-7 million if it wasn't doing so bad in America.
StryderK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 StryderK
Member since 2006 • 3189 Posts
I can't see how cows can be happy about this. Even if during the Christmas period, the PS3 sells over 2 million units (which IMO, looking less and less likely), that still means the world-wide install base is around 7 million or so. Meahwhile, with Halo 3 leading the X360 charge alongside MAss Effect, SMG leading the charge for the Wii with BWii and Fire Emblem etc, after the dust settles, I'm pinning Wii's world-wide install base = 16 million and X360 13-14 million. The PS3 gonna be left behind soon!
ljlrj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#7 ljlrj
Member since 2007 • 14800 Posts
but when u see the world wide chart is going thesame path as the 360 for now lol
StryderK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 StryderK

It would be past 6-7 million if it wasn't doing so bad in America. BreakingPoint8

It's not U.S. It's also Japan where it is being constantly being defeated 2-1 in favor of the Wii. Europe is the only place where the PS3 is moderately successful (even then it's still being constantly defeated by the Wii).

7thSIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 7thSIN
Member since 2002 • 1386 Posts
To me, the 360 is only a handfull of titles away from feeling like the PS2 of this gen.
jessie5788

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jessie5788
Member since 2007 • 972 Posts

To me, the 360 is only a handfull of titles away from feeling like the PS2 of this gen.7thSIN

i hate to break it too you but the 360 will never be the ps2. the 360 does not have world wide sales its selling very slowly (before halo and ms can't keep up the halo hype forever. ) and the ps3 is able to keep up with the 360 despite a high price and lack of games.

jessie5788

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jessie5788

It's still selling less than the competition week after week, and more than halfway behind already.

I fail to see how Sony intend on persuading Konami to maintain Metal Gear Solid 4's continued exclusivity. Especially since only one prior game in the entire Metal Gear Solid franchise has remained Playstation exclusive.

Lilac_Benjie

actually world wide the ps3 has kept up with the 360 even with a high price . and it only has sold half the sales of the 360 because the 360 been at longer.

Art_424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Art_424
Member since 2004 • 1745 Posts
but this was expected to sell this much, without any games at launch!!!, FAIL!!!!
7thSIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 7thSIN
Member since 2002 • 1386 Posts

[QUOTE="7thSIN"]To me, the 360 is only a handfull of titles away from feeling like the PS2 of this gen.jessie5788

i hate to break it too you but the 360 will never be the ps2. the 360 does not have world wide sales its selling very slowly (before halo and ms can't keep up the halo hype forever. ) and the ps3 is able to keep up with the 360 despite a high price and lack of games.

Ok, let me restate what I meant, you seem to be on the defensive for some reason. I'm talking about the games and when I had my PS2, There was always something to play and always something to buy that I missed earlier. I'm starting to get to that point with 360, I'll be able to play through the spring and summer months with games I havent played yet.

trizzle_a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 trizzle_a
Member since 2007 • 1186 Posts

Lilac_Benjie

Go to someone who cares, Sony has practically paid for MGS4, but we will never hear them say that.

BreakingPoint8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 BreakingPoint8
Member since 2007 • 3347 Posts

[QUOTE="7thSIN"]To me, the 360 is only a handfull of titles away from feeling like the PS2 of this gen.jessie5788

The Xbox 360 sold 520,698 consoles from September 8th - October 6th. The PS3 sold 168,393 in that same time frame. How is that keeping up? The Xbox 360 has a reputation for breaking and yet it still manages to outsell the all mighty Playstation brand.
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts

This is about the same time that the 360 reached 5 million last year. Well, about a month later, really. The 360 was only around 5-6 million between September and October last year, then in November it jumped to 7 million because of Gears, and in December another 1.5 million.

The PS3 should see similar jumps.

jessie5788

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jessie5788
[QUOTE="jessie5788"]

[QUOTE="7thSIN"]To me, the 360 is only a handfull of titles away from feeling like the PS2 of this gen.BreakingPoint8

The Xbox 360 sold 520,698 consoles from September 8th - October 6th. The PS3 sold 168,393 in that same time frame. How is that keeping up? The Xbox 360 has a reputation for breaking and yet it still manages to outsell the all mighty Playstation brand.

where you get that number from

StryderK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 StryderK

This is about the same time that the 360 reached 5 million last year. Well, about a month later, really. The 360 was only around 5-6 million between September and October last year, then in November it jumped to 7 million because of Gears, and in December another 1.5 million.

mjarantilla

Unfortunatly, PS3 doesn't have any games along the lines of GeoW. Rachet, GT etc are good, but not nearly as powerful as say, MGS4! Besides, the competition will far more intense than last year! This year, teh PS3 not only have to content with Halo 3 on the X360, but also SMG on the Wii. And thes two factors along side games like Mass Effect, BWii etc will syphon many would be potential candiates for the much cheaper consoles! Besides, the PS3 at $400-$500 is still much much too expensive for casuals and even some hardcores. So that may also come into play. The price drop will help. But you can't ignore the competitions either!

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50666 Posts
[QUOTE="jessie5788"]

[QUOTE="7thSIN"]To me, the 360 is only a handfull of titles away from feeling like the PS2 of this gen.BreakingPoint8

You're using that number like 360 does that on a consistant basis. You know it only sold that many units because of Halo 3.

volcus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 volcus
Member since 2006 • 311 Posts
At the end of the day if Sony can turn a profit on the ps3 than i think we can say it is a success. It is obvious by now that they have lost a fair portion of their installed base and selling 100 million like its predecessors seems very unlikely. People seem to forget that Sony computer entertainment as a whole is doing well. Sony has three computer entertainment devices out on the market and are making profit on two of them. It will be interesting to see how long it takes SCE to turn a profit after the loses due to the battery recall and PS3.
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mjarantilla
[QUOTE="mjarantilla"]

StryderK

Unfortunatly, PS3 doesn't have any games along the lines of GeoW. Rachet, GT etc are good, but not nearly as powerful as say, MGS4! Besides, the competition will far more intense than last year! This year, teh PS3 not only have to content with Halo 3 on the X360, but also SMG on the Wii. And thes two factors along side games like Mass Effect, BWii etc will syphon many would be potential candiates for the much cheaper consoles! Besides, the PS3 at $400-$500 is still much much too expensive for casuals and even some hardcores. So that may also come into play. The price drop will help. But you can't ignore the competitions either!

True, but the PS3 is selling far more in Japan than the 360, and slightly better in Europe. That is where the PS3's deficit is being made up. The amount of PS3s sold in Japan throughout the year equal the amount of 360s that were sold in NA during November and December last year, so it call comes out about equal. Otherwise, take only Europe and North America, and the PS3 would be behind by about a million or so.

Thompsonwhore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Thompsonwhore
Member since 2003 • 2059 Posts

Technically speaking, it's doing about as good as the 360 was in a similar timeline.

Personally I think the PS3 will at least tie the 360 by the end of this generation of consoles, but we shall see.

StryderK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 StryderK

Technically speaking, it's doing about as good as the 360 was in a similar timeline.

Personally I think the PS3 will at least tie the 360 by the end of this generation of consoles, but we shall see.

Thompsonwhore

Well, that depends on Japan...But right now with the PS3 performance in Japan, even that is in doubt......

But one thing is for sure though, at this current rate, both the PS3 and the X360 will be left in the dust by the Wii soon. Right now most people believe the Wii freight train will not slow down even deep into next year! That is a killer! Of course, games are another matter but since which game is good which is bad is highly dependent on personal tastes and opinions, I will leave that subject alone. But still this whole point is moot. As another poster said, the PS3 was suppose to sell 5 million at launch even without any games......They did it alright....only 8 months late!

jdang307

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jdang307
Member since 2006 • 1512 Posts

(*)Vgchartz.com tracks consoles sold to consumers and not to retailers and other outlets. This explains why numbers on the front page of VGchartz.com are always a bit lower than the numbers given by the manufacturers themselves: To Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo every console that made it to retailers is "sold". In reality these consoles may be lying in retailer warehouses and outlets for weeks until they are sold to consumers.

This statement right here kills VGCharts credibility. Go look up sony's latest earnings report, which is filed with the SEC and is as about as accurate and truthful as you are going to get from anyone (as long as no fraud is involved i.e. Enron etc.). Sony has been reporting sold through consumers numbers lately.

Gamer46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 315

#25 Gamer46
Member since 2003 • 11304 Posts
[QUOTE="Thompsonwhore"]

StryderK

Well, that depends on Japan...But right now with the PS3 performance in Japan, even that is in doubt......

But one thing is for sure though, at this current rate, both the PS3 and the X360 will be left in the dust by the Wii soon. Right now most people believe the Wii freight train will not slow down even deep into next year! That is a killer! Of course, games are another matter but since which game is good which is bad is highly dependent on personal tastes and opinions, I will leave that subject alone. But still this whole point is moot. As another poster said, the PS3 was suppose to sell 5 million at launch even without any games......They did it alright....only 8 months late!

Final Fantasy will turn the tides for PS3 in Japan, much like it did for PSP. I think PS3 will outsell the 360 by the end of this gen but by how much is the question.

tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 tango90101
Member since 2006 • 5977 Posts

5 million in a year with a supposed "100 million loyal sony customers" on board?

truly pathetic....:(

less than 1/2 of the nearest competitor can't be sitting well with Sir Howard...

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mjarantilla
[QUOTE="StryderK"][QUOTE="Thompsonwhore"]

Gamer46

Final Fantasy will turn the tides for PS3 in Japan, much like it did for PSP. I think PS3 will outsell the 360 by the end of this gen but by how much is the question.

It's too soon to say that FFVII:CC turned tides for the PSP, but I think it does look that way right now.

I don't know about the PS3 outselling the 360. It would have to outsell the 360 by 100,000 units EVERY month for five years. It might be doable, might not. Japan will be the deciding factor.

CossackNoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 CossackNoodle
Member since 2004 • 232 Posts
wow you guys believe and follow these guesstimate console sale sites?
BambooBanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BambooBanger
Member since 2007 • 1360 Posts
5 million within a year after 2 major price drops isn't good.
tman93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 tman93
Member since 2006 • 7769 Posts

Lilac_Benjie

I can post dumb pictures too:

On topic, I think that the PS3 will catch up, dont know if it will surpass the 360 or Wii for awhile though, if it does at all.

Chipp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Chipp
Member since 2003 • 1897 Posts
[QUOTE="Gamer46"][QUOTE="StryderK"][QUOTE="Thompsonwhore"]

mjarantilla

It's too soon to say that FFVII:CC turned tides for the PSP, but I think it does look that way right now.

I don't know about the PS3 outselling the 360. It would have to outsell the 360 by 100,000 units EVERY month for five years. It might be doable, might not. Japan will be the deciding factor.

FF13 will make sales jump sure, but its all about consistency. One game can't hold the weight of a system forever. If you notice the PSP the system sales spiked for that brief time when FF:CC hit and then slowly it started to go back down. I think the DS out sold it last week by a small amount. PS3 will need a lot more than FF13 and MGS4.

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts
17.3% Current Gen Console Share. This number needs to improve. Sony said they could sell 5 million by March without games. They were 7 monthes off. Hopefully they can turn things around.
GARRYTH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GARRYTH
Member since 2005 • 6870 Posts

5 million in a year with a supposed "100 million loyal sony customers" on board?

less than 1/2 of the nearest competitor can't be sitting well with Sir Howard...

tango90101
wow so a 7 year old to a 11 mouth old system = the same. how about ps 2 is still selling the same as 360 and ps 3 and how about it took halo 3 to out sell ps 2. it is pathedic that even with the great AAA games a verarity of game it still selling the same rate as xbox1. that is more pathetic.
GARRYTH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GARRYTH
Member since 2005 • 6870 Posts
[QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="Gamer46"][QUOTE="StryderK"][QUOTE="Thompsonwhore"]

Ramadear

FF13 will make sales jump sure, but its all about consistency. One game can't hold the weight of a system forever. If you notice the PSP the system sales spiked for that brief time when FF:CC hit and then slowly it started to go back down. I think the DS out sold it last week by a small amount. PS3 will need a lot more than FF13 and MGS4.

same can be said about halo also.
Nugtoka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Nugtoka
Member since 2003 • 1812 Posts

To me, the 360 is only a handfull of titles away from feeling like the PS2 of this gen.7thSIN

I agree but i don't remember the Ps2 having this many top notch titles in its second year.

Avatar image for deactivated-59603ff9b9423
deactivated-59603ff9b9423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-59603ff9b9423
Member since 2007 • 2413 Posts
Not bad.
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mjarantilla
[QUOTE="Ramadear"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="Gamer46"][QUOTE="StryderK"][QUOTE="Thompsonwhore"]

GARRYTH

same can be said about halo also.

Well, good, because I did say the same about Halo in another thread.

gromit007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 gromit007
Member since 2006 • 3024 Posts

Get back to me when they sell those 6 million consoles they shipped by March '07.

Anyone remember that?

tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 tango90101
[QUOTE="tango90101"]

GARRYTH

wow so a 7 year old to a 11 mouth old system = the same. how about ps 2 is still selling the same as 360 and ps 3 and how about it took halo 3 to out sell ps 2. it is pathedic that even with the great AAA games a verarity of game it still selling the same rate as xbox1. that is more pathetic.

1. it's more pathetic you're ignoring the self proclaimed "100 million loyal sony customers"... at this rate, the ps3 will only crack 1/4 of that base...truly pathetic..

2. the fact you had to use a ps2 at $125 to compare against the 360 at $400 is pretty pathetic, too...;)

begone fanboy...

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

it about timeljlrj

That's what I was about to say. The XBox 360and Wii will be well over 13 million sold by the end of the holiday season. The PS3 won't even be at 7 million. It's still amazing that the Wii past the XBox 360in worldwide sales inless then a year and launched AFTER the PS3. :lol:

niall077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 niall077
Member since 2006 • 1729 Posts

Lilac_Benjie

NOT AGAIN!!!

we have metal gear online, only on ps3, metal gear solid mobile.. only ona sony phone, mgs portable ops only on psp... and the mgs4+ps3+rumble bundle... and also the PES08+ps3 bundle in europe.

CLEARLY sony are keeping konami happy.... and the fact the game has been confirmed exclusive for ps3 at every possible event

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mjarantilla
[QUOTE="GARRYTH"][QUOTE="tango90101"]

tango90101

1. it's more pathetic you're ignoring the self proclaimed "100 million loyal sony customers"... at this rate, the ps3 will only crack 1/4 of that base...truly pathetic..

2. the fact you had to use a ps2 at $125 to compare against the 360 at $400 is pretty pathetic, too...;)

begone fanboy...

You know, even when the PS2 at $300, it still sold three times as good as the Xbox 360 at $400. (Well, not when Halo 3 was released, but every other month before that.)

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
yet.
[QUOTE="StryderK"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"]

mjarantilla

True, but the PS3 is selling far more in Japan than the 360, and slightly better in Europe. That is where the PS3's deficit is being made up. The amount of PS3s sold in Japan throughout the year equal the amount of 360s that were sold in NA during November and December last year, so it call comes out about equal. Otherwise, take only Europe and North America, and the PS3 would be behind by about a million or so.

No.. The Xbox 360 in the U.S. alone outsold the PS3 in Europe, Japan and U.S. combined the past 4 weeks. The PS3 finally past the XBox 360 and Wii in Europe last week because of the launch of the $400 40GB PS3. I doubt those sales figures will last long. Overall the XBox 360 has been outselling the PS3 every month since the PS3 launched. Even at launch the PS3 only sold 800,000 units while the Xbox 360 sold 1.4 million. The PS3 isn't making up ANY OF THE DIFFERENCE yet. If you are out sold every month since launch, you aren't catching up. ;)

crazegamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 crazegamez
Member since 2007 • 138 Posts
it be another 4 million or more this christmas and early 2008..
johnnieblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 johnnieblue
Member since 2006 • 78 Posts

it be another 4 million or more this christmas and early 2008..crazegamez

For the 360 or the Wii?

tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 tango90101
[QUOTE="tango90101"][QUOTE="GARRYTH"][QUOTE="tango90101"]

mjarantilla

begone fanboy...

You know, even when the PS2 at $300, it still sold three times as good as the Xbox 360 at $400. (Well, not when Halo 3 was released, but every other month before that.)

if you remember your history, you'd remember that sony was haveing MASSIVE dre problems with the ps2 at that point of their lifecycle... while sony was denying anything was wrong, causing many to buy multiple ps2....

i'm thinking that had more of an impact on the ps2's aggressive sales than anything else...

GIJames248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 GIJames248
Member since 2006 • 2176 Posts

[QUOTE="crazegamez"]it be another 4 million or more this christmas and early 2008..johnnieblue

For the 360 or the Wii?

PS3 I think is what he means.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts
The real question is whether or not they will meet than 12 or 16 million goal they set for the end of March 2008.
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mjarantilla
[QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="tango90101"][QUOTE="GARRYTH"][QUOTE="tango90101"]

tango90101

begone fanboy...

if you remember your history, you'd remember that sony was haveing MASSIVE dre problems with the ps2 at that point of their lifecycle... while sony was denying anything was wrong, causing many to buy multiple ps2....

i'm thinking that had more of an impact on the ps2's aggressive sales than anything else...

Riiiiiight. And the 360 is completely flawless, right? Come off it. It sold 8 million units in one year in the US alone, and another 9 million the year after. Even if you assume 1 in 4 of those were for DRE replacements (which is way, waaaaay too high; I'd say more like 1 in 8 were replacements at most), that's still TWICE AS FAST as the 360 managed last year (the 360 only reached about 3-4 million in NA by October).

tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 tango90101
[QUOTE="tango90101"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="tango90101"][QUOTE="GARRYTH"][QUOTE="tango90101"]

mjarantilla

begone fanboy...

Riiiiiight. And the 360 is completely flawless, right? Come off it. It sold 8 million units in one year in the US alone, and another 9 million the year after. Even if you assume 1 in 4 of those were for DRE replacements (which is way, waaaaay too high; I'd say more like 1 in 8 were replacements at most), that's still TWICE AS FAST as the 360 managed last year (the 360 only reached about 3-4 million in NA by October).

since sony has REFUSED to even acknowledge the prob with the ps2, the reality is; the replacement rate could be much higher than that....

you're also forgetting the umpteen millions of psx customers and the years of branding sony had over the 360

again, you're ignoring the price difference..