Sony is Under Pressure and the PS Vita Might Fail

• 156 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#51 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts
I think the Vita will have to be marketed heavily straight out the gate. Sony really is going to have to push the value of the system, the quality of the software, and it's capabilities.
mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

Should I really have to enlighten people? Ignorance isn't my problem. This year alone in (new) RPG goodness:

Final Fantasy Type-0

Frontier Gate

Grand Knights History

Valkyria Chronicles 3

The Legend of Heroes

Gungnir

Fate/Extra

UnchainBladesRexxx

Makai Kingdom

Radiant Mythology 3

Gloria Union

Growlanser IV

7th Dragon

The Little Battlers

Nano Diver

Ragnorak

Angelique

White Knights Chronicle

Akiba's Trip

Good enough? Like I said, I was talking about the real library, so, yes, it did help my case.

minh800

Cool beans, minh800. Showing me up and all that jazz. Now I can go and research these games and look into the possibility of imports. ;)

minh800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 minh800
Member since 2011 • 1166 Posts

[QUOTE="minh800"]

Should I really have to enlighten people? Ignorance isn't my problem. This year alone in (new) RPG goodness:

Final Fantasy Type-0

Frontier Gate

Grand Knights History

Valkyria Chronicles 3

The Legend of Heroes

Gungnir

Fate/Extra

UnchainBladesRexxx

Makai Kingdom

Radiant Mythology 3

Gloria Union

Growlanser IV

7th Dragon

The Little Battlers

Nano Diver

Ragnorak

Angelique

White Knights Chronicle

Akiba's Trip

Good enough? Like I said, I was talking about the real library, so, yes, it did help my case.

mmmwksil

Cool beans, minh800. Showing me up and all that jazz. Now I can go and research these games and look into the possibility of imports. ;)

Look into Steins;Gate, Terror of the Stratus, Tales of the Last Promise, etc too. But this is one of the reasons why I'm very excited for the Vita - we might actually get these games localized. Final Fantasy Type-0 looks miles better than XIII-2 and VC 3 looks to be one of the best SRPGs I've seen in a long time.

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 mmmwksil

Look into Steins;Gate, Terror of the Stratus, Tales of the Last Promise, etc too. But this is one of the reasons why I'm very excited for the Vita - we might actually get these games localized. Final Fantasy Type-0 looks miles better than XIII-2 and VC 3 looks to be one of the best SRPGs I've seen in a long time.

minh800

Nearly forgot this was a Vita related thread :lol: Let us both hope developers and publishers put in the effort for localization. Importing I can still enjoy the games, but it hurts mah wallet :(

minh800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 minh800

[QUOTE="minh800"]

mmmwksil

Nearly forgot this was a Vita related thread :lol: Let us both hope developers and publishers put in the effort for localization. Importing I can still enjoy the games, but it hurts mah wallet :(

Haha, another reason why I'm excited for the Vita - every playable Vita game is on PSN so I can just download the Japanese version. Oh, I would love it if they all had English subs. Publishers should start thinking about doing that.

Nozizaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#56 Nozizaki
Member since 2007 • 1471 Posts

[QUOTE="mmmwksil"]

[QUOTE="minh800"]

Anything under $200 is mass market friendly for handhelds. That's the price the Vita will eventually reach in the coming years. Mobile tech is booming, meaning that the current tech used in the Vita will become commonplace soon enough and then ancient soon after. The price will drop quickly because of that.

It needed to compete with the DS in Japan which it did very well in the last two years. Japan is way more important than the rest of the world when it comes to dedicated handhelds.

We do not know all of the launch titles. Capcom is still sitting on their's so I'm assuming they're not the only ones. Falcom is readying a RPG for the Vita's launch/window. And Japan is the king of RPGs, of course there will be something at launch since Sony is the biggest gaming company in Japan right now. I'm assuming NIS has something. In the US, developers will probably re-release their PSP games on NVG cards if companies like Xseed don't have enough time to localize real Vita games. This is especially good since the PSP is an RPG machine. Type-0, Valkyria Chronicles 3, the Tales games, etc.

McProley

I wouldn't call the PSP an "RPG Machine" when its library is made up more of ports and remakes than actual RPGs. I'd give that kind of name to the DS. That aside, it'd be nice to have some confirmation of SOME kind of RPG for Vita.

yeah, like maybe an HD remake of FF7??

Keep dreaming, Vita's resolution is 540p, which is not HD. It does look very good and is better than most standard definition.

More on topic, Sony can't cut the price, Vita is already selling at a loss, they want to sell at a VERY large loss? No. But I do thank them for essentially lowering the 3DS' price.

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 mmmwksil

[QUOTE="mmmwksil"]

[QUOTE="minh800"]

minh800

Haha, another reason why I'm excited for the Vita - every playable Vita game is on PSN so I can just download the Japanese version. Oh, I would love it if they all had English subs. Publishers should start thinking about doing that.

Now we're asking for TOO much :P What we need to ask for is Sony to remove that blasted region lockout on the PSN. Can't I just use my Visa to buy anything I want from any region :xApparently Sony doesn't watch the Visa commercials.

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

I'm sure Sony is downplaying their concerns. The handheld market is becoming increasingly small with the advent of smartphones, and the 3DS's price advantage -- while maybe not a huge factor in the home console market or with prior handhelds -- is going to be quite attractive to people who already have a smartphone and are looking for a dedicated gaming device for things like air travel or commuting to work. They're both saddled with the question of "why does someone with a half-decent smartphone need a dedicated gaming henheld?", so the 3DS's lower price should be a huge boost.

minh800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 minh800

[QUOTE="minh800"]

[QUOTE="mmmwksil"]

mmmwksil

Now we're asking for TOO much :P What we need to ask for is Sony to remove that blasted region lockout on the PSN. Can't I just use my Visa to buy anything I want from any region :xApparently Sony doesn't watch the Visa commercials.

Haha, they should consider that but I don't mind going around the system a little bit when I have to. I'm just hoping we can get more indie games on PSN. I think Bastion would look absolutely incredible on that screen.

shadowfox55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 shadowfox55
Member since 2007 • 1609 Posts

misleadinf title tc and its up to Sony. If they make games to launch with the system I think i'll be fine but i wouldn't mind paying less tbh

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#61 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]1.$250 and missing this holiday season 2.$170 direct competitor with good software releasing soon 3. smartphones are good enough for most people Vita will be DOA

It depends on when they release next year, if they can push it out in January during the sales then they have a chance, but if they launch it in March, well, look how the 3DS has been doing. It means it won't have a chance to really pick up until Christmas next year, at which point the WiiU should be coming out and the 3DS will already have a ton of games.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#62 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Stock market fell more than 500 points yesterday, job growth is non-existent and will continue to be for the foreseeable future, the US government is cutting spending big time to reduce the deficit, Europe is experiencing a credit crisis. Despite a lot of Sony fans willing to pay the high price for the system early on, lowering the price of the PS Vita might be a good idea for Sony unless things become all roses again by next year. People just aren't spending on luxury items like they used to because of the uncertainty of the current economic environment.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50587 Posts
[QUOTE="AtariKidX"][QUOTE="Morrdecai"]I don't think there's any need for a price cut, and I think the Vita will sell fine.charizard1605
I agree.PSPVita is a High Quality system and it will be the best handle system....it is very good and it is worth all the 250$.

What is a handle system?

Original. Vita's price is fine considering the hardware in it. No need to lower the price...although I wouldn't mind.
AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#65 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

[QUOTE="McProley"]

[QUOTE="mmmwksil"]

I wouldn't call the PSP an "RPG Machine" when its library is made up more of ports and remakes than actual RPGs. I'd give that kind of name to the DS. That aside, it'd be nice to have some confirmation of SOME kind of RPG for Vita.

Nozizaki

Keep dreaming, Vita's resolution is 540p, which is not HD. It does look very good and is better than most standard definition.

More on topic, Sony can't cut the price, Vita is already selling at a loss, they want to sell at a VERY large loss? No. But I do thank them for essentially lowering the 3DS' price.

The PSPVita it have a high-resolution, 5-inch OLED touchscreen (960 x 544 pixels).The resolution of the display is 960×544 pixels which is extremely bright and makes gaming possible in broad daylight. The OLED screen provides for much wider gaming angles without fadeouts.Also the PSPVita has many new features like the multi-touch pad at the back that enables touch, grab, push and pull almost like 3D experience. The presence of analog sticks means many more games in diverse genres to be played on Vita which is really exciting for the gamers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#66 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

[QUOTE="Nozizaki"]

[QUOTE="McProley"]

AtariKidX

The PSPVita it have a high-resolution, 5-inch OLED touchscreen (960 x 544 pixels).The resolution of the display is 960×544 pixels which is extremely bright and makes gaming possible in broad daylight. The OLED screen provides for much wider gaming angles without fadeouts.Also the PSPVita has many new features like the multi-touch pad at the back that enables touch, grab, push and pull almost like 3D experience. The presence of analog sticks means many more games in diverse genres to be played on Vita which is really exciting for the gamers.

...? What does any of that have to do with his post? :? And why do you sound like a Sony ad?
PA_DUTCH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#67 PA_DUTCH
Member since 2008 • 908 Posts

Sony is under pressure...still i don't mind waiting a bit to see if 3DS gets any good games before Vita comes out before i make my decision. Waiting to see how Shinobi and metal gear play out

Nozizaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Nozizaki

[QUOTE="Nozizaki"]

[QUOTE="McProley"]

AtariKidX

You just completely agreed with me 960 x 544 is essentially 540p, which is not HD, 720p is the minimum for HD. And I will be shocked if you can play Vita in broad daylight.

PA_DUTCH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 PA_DUTCH

[QUOTE="AtariKidX"]

[QUOTE="Nozizaki"]

Nozizaki

You just completely agreed with me 960 x 544 is essentially 540p, which is not HD, 720p is the minimum for HD. And I will be shocked if you can play Vita in broad daylight.

you will be shocked if you can take them fanboy goggles off, ZING! ;) JK

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

[QUOTE="AtariKidX"]

[QUOTE="Nozizaki"]

Nozizaki

PSPVita screen is a HD touchscreen.The games looks almost like the PS3 games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="Nozizaki"]

[QUOTE="AtariKidX"]

PA_DUTCH

you will be shocked if you can take them fanboy goggles off, ZING! ;)

He's, er, right, Although OLED screens are more suited to playing in daylight (and certainly more so than conventional screens, such as the one that the 3DS is employing), the PS Vita will still falter in full on sunlight.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="Nozizaki"]

[QUOTE="AtariKidX"]

AtariKidX

PSPVita screen is a HD touchscreen.The games looks almost like a PS3 games.

It's not HD. To be HD it has to e 720p. The Vita is 540p.
PA_DUTCH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 PA_DUTCH

[QUOTE="PA_DUTCH"][QUOTE="Nozizaki"]

charizard1605

you will be shocked if you can take them fanboy goggles off, ZING! ;)

He's, er, right, Although OLED screens are more suited to playing in daylight (and certainly more so than conventional screens, such as the one that the 3DS is employing), the PS Vita will still falter in full on sunlight.

yeah he is right and you are too. It will be better than the PSP and DS and 3DS but still not great for gaming under the noon sun...

Nozizaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Nozizaki

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="PA_DUTCH"] you will be shocked if you can take them fanboy goggles off, ZING! ;)PA_DUTCH

yeah he is right and you are too. It will be better than the PSP and DS and 3DS but still not great for gaming under the noon sun...

That is the first nice surprise for me, might get it later on.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
What Vita launch game could ever be worth paying $250+ for?
SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

[QUOTE="Nozizaki"]

AtariKidX

PSPVita screen is a HD touchscreen.The games looks almost like the PS3 games.

It is 'high resolution', but not HD.

Not that HD is by any means necessary in a handheld. The iPhone screen is technically sub-HD at 960x640, but that happens to be a very high resolution for a 3.5" screen. So high, in fact, that anything higher would be completely pointless -- it already has a pixel density of 326 ppi, and 300 ppi at a distance of 12 inches (305mm) is the maximum amount of detail that the human retina can perceive.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#77 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

Sony will be fine with the PS Vita, because it looks awesome and will appeal to lots and lots and lots of people. I will be getting one for my son.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts

[QUOTE="AtariKidX"][QUOTE="Nozizaki"]

charizard1605

PSPVita screen is a HD touchscreen.The games looks almost like a PS3 games.

It's qHD:P

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#79 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

What Vita launch game could ever be worth paying $250+ for?meetroid8
Some sites say these are Launch Titles but I think some of them is just wishful thinking.

• Uncharted
  • Killzone
  • Realfighters
  • Little Deviants
  • Call of Duty
  • Lumines
  • Sonic Generations
  • Hustle Kings
  • Top Darts
  • Mr. Ink Jet
  • Blazblue Continuum Shift Plus II
  • Silent Hill: Book of Memories
  • Mortal Kombat
  • Lego Harry Potter Years 5-7
  • Pro Evolution Soccer 2012
  • F1 2012
  • Hot Shots Golf
  • FIFA 2012
  • Wipeout 2048
  • Smart Ash
  • Broken
  • Super Stardust Delta
  • Sound Shapes
  • Little Big Planet
  • Dynasty Warriors
  • Gelding
  • Bioshock
  • Street Fighter Tekken X
  • Modnation Racers
  • Virtua Tennis 4
  • Ridge Racer
  • Oddworld: Munches Oddyssey
  • Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
  • Gravity
  • Dust 514
  • Micheal Jackson Experience
  • Dragon's Crown
  • Shonobido 2
  • Rugby Challenge

But if it is true I will be getting Little Deviants, Gravity, Bioshock, Dragon Crown, Modnation Racers and Little Big Planet in the launch window.

arad96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#80 arad96
Member since 2009 • 7783 Posts

I think it is fine. I am more than willing to pay 250 dollars for it.

Nozizaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Nozizaki

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="AtariKidX"] PSPVita screen is a HD touchscreen.The games looks almost like a PS3 games.MFDOOM1983

qHD?

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#82 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts

"The customers Sony is targeting with its Vita are those willing to spend a lot of money," he said. "That's a valid strategy even if the volume's low as long as it can sustain the higher price."charizard1605s article

It seems this guy does not understand a single thing about economics or consumerism. Lower-price always leads to more sales. Even if the lower price is $5 less. Gamestop built its entire empire off of a $5 discount.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 MFDOOM1983

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"] It's not HD. To be HD it has to e 720p. The Vita is 540p.Nozizaki

qHD?

qHD (960×540) qHD is a display resolution of 960×540 pixels which is exactly one quarter of a full HD 1080p and three quarters of a 720p frame, in a 16:9 aspect ratio. This resolution began to become popular for high-end smartphone displays in early 2011.

Nozizaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Nozizaki

[QUOTE="Nozizaki"]

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]It's qHD:P

MFDOOM1983

qHD?

qHD (960×540) qHD is a display resolution of 960×540 pixels which is exactly one quarter of a full HD 1080p and three quarters of a 720p frame, in a 16:9 aspect ratio. This resolution began to become popular for high-end smartphone displays in early 2011.

Okay... but what does the 'q' stand for?

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 MFDOOM1983

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]

[QUOTE="Nozizaki"]
qHD?

Nozizaki

Quarter of 1080p. Its marketing garble.

Ringx55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Ringx55
Member since 2008 • 5967 Posts
I would easily spend $300 for the PS Vita if that was it's price.
SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 SakusEnvoy

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]

[QUOTE="Nozizaki"]
qHD?

Nozizaki

I think we might run the risk of being too technical here. Many games on the HD consoles run natively at 540p but are still generally understood to be high definition games, that is, in contrast to standard definition games. So when someone proposes an HD remake of a Final Fantasy game on Vita, it should probably be understood that he meant an 'above-SD' remake.

dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 dream431ca
Member since 2003 • 10165 Posts

That's Nonsense. The Vita is at a really good price in terms of what it offers and what it's made of. The 3DS should have been cheap to begin with as it's just 3D and no real improvement over the DS. The Vita is major improvement over the PSP (from what I can see).

Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Nintendo_Ownes7

That's Nonsense. The Vita is at a really good price in terms of what it offers and what it's made of. The 3DS should have been cheap to begin with as it's just 3D and no real improvement over the DS. The Vita is major improvement over the PSP (from what I can see).

dream431ca

That is wrong. The DS is basically as powerful as an N64 the 3DS is between GCN and Wii in terms of power. That is a huge leap. The leap from the N64 to the GCN was a huge leap.

flipdc5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 flipdc5
Member since 2005 • 1312 Posts

I would easily spend $300 for the PS Vita if that was it's price.Ringx55

Too bad you will as much with just the 250 model.

Vita+game+memcard(Digital Download) = 300+

Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Nintendo_Ownes7

[QUOTE="Ringx55"]I would easily spend $300 for the PS Vita if that was it's price.flipdc5

I will probably get Vita and Memory card at first if they don't have that good of launch titles because for the PSN Welcome back program I picked to PSP games.

But that is depending on if they don't have any good launch titles. Though based on the list I posted if some of that is true it will have a lot of good launch titles.

Nozizaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Nozizaki

[QUOTE="Nozizaki"]

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"] qHD (960×540) qHD is a display resolution of 960×540 pixels which is exactly one quarter of a full HD 1080p and three quarters of a 720p frame, in a 16:9 aspect ratio. This resolution began to become popular for high-end smartphone displays in early 2011.

SakusEnvoy

I think we might run the risk of being too technical here. Many games on the HD consoles run natively at 540p but are still generally understood to be high definition games, that is, in contrast to standard definition games. So when someone proposes an HD remake of a Final Fantasy game on Vita, it should probably be understood that he meant an 'above-SD' remake.

In that case you are correct, 540p is above SD (480p). I'm not saying there is anything wrong with Vita at all, it is a graphical beast, but it technically is not HD and it annoys me to see it advertised as so, that is just complete propaganda.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 SakusEnvoy

[QUOTE="Ringx55"]I would easily spend $300 for the PS Vita if that was it's price.flipdc5

I'm still holding out, against all hope, that they support SD cards in the final model. Please, Sony.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12322 Posts

better products will sell at a higher price point. Its up to Sony to make Vita better than the 3DS.

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#95 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

I don't see why they're acting like the 3DS is a good role model to follow, it's sales have been awful. Just because the 3DS crashed and burned resulting in a last ditch effort of a whopping 1/3 price cut in order to increase sales, doesn't mean Sony has to follow suit...:| I mean consoles always vary greatly in price, I don't see hy handhelds couldn't also...

People in Japan are extremely excited for the PSVita and it just needs good advertising in other regions. It already has a great lineup of games.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

I just have one question. Does anybody actually care what aanalyst thinks? I mean it is one thing when somebody from Sony says something, but who cares what analyst think.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]

[QUOTE="Nozizaki"]
qHD?

Nozizaki

It means Quarter High Definition.

From Wiki

"qHD is a display resolution of 960×540 pixels which is exactly one quarter of a full HD 1080p and three quarters of a 720p frame, in a 16:9 aspect ratio.

This resolution began to become popular for high-end smartphone displays in early 2011."

Awesome-Possum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Awesome-Possum
Member since 2011 • 93 Posts
The vita has more power and tech than the 3DS. In my opinion it is obvious that it would be more expensive.
dovberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#99 dovberg
Member since 2009 • 3348 Posts

I think it will be just fine at $250, I think we will just see a rehash of how things went last gen except the 3ds having a large head start on the vita. I think people like to analyze things in a way to get people's attention and basically trolling the public instead of actually talking about anything that makes sense.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#100 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

I don't see why they're acting like the 3DS is a good role model to follow, it's sales have been awful. Just because the 3DS crashed and burned resulting in a last ditch effort of a whopping 1/3 price cut in order to increase sales, doesn't mean Sony has to follow suit...:| I mean consoles always vary greatly in price, I don't see hy handhelds couldn't also...

People in Japan are extremely excited for the PSVita and it just needs good advertising in other regions. It already has a great lineup of games.

StealthMonkey4

I really wish people would stop with the awful sales nonsense. It sold 3.6 million units by the end of March (which was a month and a bit in Japan and less than a week everywhere else), the Wii sold 3.19million by the end of 2006 (which was a month and a bit in America and around a month everywhere else.) The Wii launched right around Christmas, it was a brand new console with crazy controls, it got tons of advertising and spread a lot by word of mouth. The 3DS came out in March, it had very few new games that people hadn't seen elsewhere, most people though it was another DS, and yet it STILL sold more than the Wii did. The sales have slowed down yes, because it's the middle of the year, and yes there's been a price cut, but that's as much to do with the announcement of Nintendo's main freaking rivals console which shockingly is the same price, as it is the sales.

And just for fun, Nintendo DS sales: NA release-November 21st, Japanese, December 2nd, (only two territories sure but hold on), sales by end of December: 2.84 million. By the end of March (after European and Austrlian launches), 5.27 million.

And for even more fun, the sales increase between the last known sales and the sales after that second Christmas (which in 2007 is when the Wii really took off):

Wii: 30th September- 13.17 million, 31st December-20.13 million

DS: 30th September - 8.83 million, 31st December - 13.43 million.

Looks like a lot of people are looking at the final sales numbers and going "OMG 3DS hasn't sold 140 million like the DS, what a flop!!!" when those system themselves didn't take off into crazy numbers until after a few Christmases, in fact it was the 2006 Christmas where the DS went mental selling 9 million in 3 months, when it had only sold 12 million in the other 9. It was only after that that the sales really started getting bonkers and you have it almost doubling its sales in 2007, 35 to 64 million.

And yes I know what you're going to say "But Nintendo themselves have said they're dissapointed in the 3DS sales!!! The problem seems to be that Nintendo themselves have forgotten that even their crazy popular systems took a little while to get going, so releasing the 3DS in March without a killer launch line up and expecting instant uber-sales was a bit stupid.

I do agree that the Vita doesn't need a price cut though, they simply need to market it properly and make people aware of what it can do and help explain to the general public the vast amount of features it has, without doing what they did with the PSP which was "Hey look a Playstation in your pocket, remember the Playstation and how you loved it, yeah? Good well give us money. Oh and it plays movies as well or some ****"