Sony investing in external development of games in Japan - "We love our Japanese games".

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45103 Posts

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/08/sony-interactive-entertainment-investing-in-external-japanese-development

Sony Interactive Entertainment is investing in its external development team in Tokyo, according to PlayStation Studios boss Hermen Hulst.

Speaking to Game Informer, Hulst said Japanese games are core to Sony Interactive Entertainment’s identity, despite rumors otherwise.

“I will say that we are in some ways very much a Japanese company still,” Hulst said. “That’s our heritage. That’s still part of who we are. We love our Japanese games.”

Hulst also commented on the restructuring of Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan Studio, now known as Team ASOBI.

“We’re building out Team ASOBI under Nicolas Doucet, so we’re actually investing in that team,” Hulst said. “People forget sometimes that we have Polyphony Digital, which is a team in two locations.”

Hulst continued, “We are investing in our external development group out of Tokyo as well, and that’s a team that has obviously worked with the likes of FromSoftware and Kojima Productions. So we are very invested in Japanese development, and Japanese development is something that we love… I think it’s such a core part of the PlayStation identity, that I can’t ever see us shy away from Japanese or even Asian development.”

Hulst also commented on the growth of PlayStation Studios as a whole.

“We are investing in the amazing teams we have. We are signing up new developers. We continue to focus on quality. We continue to focus on experiences that in my mind are experiences that matter—that sometimes only could have been created by us. That’s what I stand for. And I will ensure that we’re going to carry on making those.”

Back in May, Hulst said Sony Interactive Entertainment has over 25 titles in development for PlayStation 5—nearly half of which are new intellectual property.

That's good to hear. Japan might be more of a mobile country now, but there's still tons of talent there and I certainly love Japanese games! What say you, SW? Do you think we'll see some good things out of this?

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

“I will say that we are in some ways very much a Japanese company still,” Hulst said.

Is he sure, he doesn't sound too convinced. :-S

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#3 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

Bloodborne 2 confirmed.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17426 Posts

"In some ways...."??

They are Japanese company, if they are only willing to own "some ways" that is worrisome.

Sure, Sony is a global brand but we have always been able to rely on the creativity coming out of Japan even if those games don't always appeal to me. It's the reason I continue to buy PS consoles.

It's like Japan is their weird cousin that they reluctantly admit they are related.

"In some ways"

Shutting down Japanese studios and investing "outside" means nothing because we don't know what that means. Someone needs to nurture those Japanese indies, Sony used to excel at that

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7201 Posts

Sure thing Ol Lyin Ryan, sure thing.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

I didn't know "Hulst" was a Japanese name :P

Kidding aside, a company like Sony is a Japanese company, and it isn't. Just like Toyota is a Japanese company and isn't because of the fact pretty much all Toyotas sold in the US are built in Indiana and Kentucky.

As for the article, sounds like they're spinning something so they can appease....someone. Who? I don't know. Maybe a US executive heard some grumbling from Japanese executives about a lack of "Japanese games" or something and this guy is saying this.

Japanese companies, especially monsters like Sony, tend to have work cultures that are quick to get rid of non-Japanese employees.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet said:

“I will say that we are in some ways very much a Japanese company still,” Hulst said.

You can't make this shit up.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

This reeks of this BS censoring Sony has tried to do to Japanese games

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

Sneak peek at the latest Sony HQ in California.
“I will say that we are in some ways very much a Japanese company still,” btw\

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

Not sure if better or for worse, but Sony's Japan studios needed a shake-up.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts

Sony is the only one getting most of the japanese and all games if you look at it still.

Switch is missing quite a lot of Japanese support and xbox is missing the most

Its weird cause switch controls 80% oof the market in japan so why is it still behind Sony in Japanese games will never know.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6865 Posts

Just buy Capcom and call it a day.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

@lebanese_boy said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

You can't make this shit up.

Just saying, usually when people from companies say something, they're very confident and focused sounding to give others confidence about where they're going and what they're trying to do. Not saying things like "in some ways" and "still"... What is that shit?

I didn't know they weren't a Japanese company, but now he's like "welllll in some ways we still are". Raises more questions than it answers imo.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#15 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

Pretty sure this is what triggered a response from Sony:

For A Second Consecutive Week, Switch Has Taken Japan's Entire Top 30 Software Chart

Sony is getting completely destroyed by Nintendo on the Japanese software charts. Nintendo has a monopoly over Japan.

Ever since PlayStation moved its headquarters to California in 2016, there's always been contention that PlayStation is no longer a Japanese brand. And this has been reinforced with the way they treat Japanese developers, forcing them to communicate in English and censoring their games even in Japan.

Most of the Japanese indie and mid-tier devs have abandoned Sony for Nintendo, while only a few elite AAA devs are still supporting Sony.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

"We love our Japanese games"

Are you sure about that Sony? Then WTF was this last month? Japan Studio Has Officially Been Removed from Sony's Website

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1853 Posts

@zerothehero said:

Sony is the only one getting most of the japanese and all games if you look at it still.

Switch is missing quite a lot of Japanese support and xbox is missing the most

Its weird cause switch controls 80% oof the market in japan so why is it still behind Sony in Japanese games will never know.

Well, some Japanese companies are looking to appeal to overseas markets. Like Capcom with Resident Evil and Monster Hunter. So even if Sony is losing Japan, Sony still has a stronghold on AAA Western markets.

As for the lack of Switch support, who knows. Like the Switch is doing well in all markets and is a huge success, yet several devs avoid it like the plague. It's not just Japan. Though luckily for Konami, Square, and Capcom, they've taken advantage of the absence of other devs on the Switch and are doing well on that platform.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Really does read like he's trying to convince himself lol.

To be fair though, the vast majority of the best Japanese titles on PS have always been third party anyways. The difference now is that

1. A lot of those franchises/genres aren't as big as they used to be and

2. Almost everything is multiplatform now. (which is great!)

Comes off looking like PS lost its identity when a lot of it really comes down to the industry landscape has changed.

Not to deny that Sonys own 1st party has completely transformed over the past couple of generations. It's a different PS brand now. But when you look at the games that really put PS1 and PS2 on the map, 1st party Japanese titles made up a tiny portion of that list. GT probably being the most noteworthy of the bunch.

PS was mainly built on 3rd party Japanese exclusives, now multiplats, a lot of them being game types that have become increasingly niche.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

You know the company isn't investing or interested in investing when the head executive has to come out and try to convince that THEY ARE. If they were already doing it they wouldn't have to ASSURE the gamers, LMAO! It's pure DC by him.

Oh and the following is pure gold:

I will say that we are in some ways very much a Japanese company still,” Hulst said.

Hulst also commented on the restructuring of Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan Studio, now known as Team ASOBI.

“We’re building out Team ASOBI under Nicolas Doucet, so we’re actually investing in that team,” Hulst said. “People forget sometimes that we have Polyphony Digital, which is a team in two locations.”

He's practically accepting that they are very much a non-Japanese company now.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts

@pc_rocks said:

You know the company isn't investing or interested in investing when the head executive has to come out and try to convince that THEY ARE. If they were already doing it they wouldn't have to ASSURE the gamers, LMAO! It's pure DC by him.

Oh and the following is pure gold:

I will say that we are in some ways very much a Japanese company still,” Hulst said.

He's practically accepting that they are very much a non-Japanese company now.

They have FF16 coming exclusive they have FF7 Remake 1-2 already year + exclusive...They have the only console version of FF14, they have the only castlevania SOTN version requiem available without emulation.

Sony has a lot of exclusive japanese stuff right now and coming out in the future and is making it hard to find stuff on other platforms imo. They aren't out of this yet. Other companies need to fire back sign deals like sony is doing or they might not get jack crap for japanese stuff.

Avatar image for Amin_and_Azizah
Amin_and_Azizah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 Amin_and_Azizah
Member since 2011 • 143 Posts

I'm happy they're building out Team ASOBI under Nicolas Doucet. I'm pretty sure he's either European or American with a name sounding like that. Its better to have him in charge of a so-called Japanese Studio.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#22 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts

@silentchief said:

Just buy Capcom and call it a day.

Nope! Losing Bethesda to XBOX was bad enough and (preps for the guns, torches and pitchforks) I sure as hell wish Nintendo didn't buy out Next Level (yes, I know, they haven't been multiplat for years, I'm sticking by my words).

babyjoker1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 babyjoker1221
Member since 2015 • 1313 Posts

Sorry, but it's obvious this is pretty run of the mill pr in reference to Sony's sinking position in Japan.

Not only does Hulst reference those "rumors", he then goes on to counter them by stating...

That they are currently "building out" Asobi under Nicolas Doucet. Hulst used the term "building out" vs "expanding" for a very specific reason. Thats because he wants readers to assume they're expanding, while they're actually not doing so. Marketing jargon 101. Also, Nicolas Doucet doesn't sound very Japanese to me, but I could be wrong.

The rest of his statements are nothing more than "We love our Japanese games" and "Don't forget Polyphony". Nothing more than attempting to placate those who are concerned over Sony's recent moves away from Japan.

Sony has bailed on Japan, and Japan has bailed on Sony. This is pr to hide this fact from those who are obsessed with Japan.... But have never even been there. Which is not an insignificant amount of people.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

The fact that Sony felt the need to damage control this with PR tells you all you need to know about new Sony.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26  Edited By Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

I just don't understand why people make such a fuss about Japan Studio.

Have people been asleep for the last 15-20 years? The best path forward really is Team Asobi + XDev in Japan.