Sony 'hopes 3DS does well'

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Kashiwaba
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts

SCEA's senior VP of marketing Peter Dille has said he hopes Nintendo does "a good job" with the 3DS because it could increase consumer interest in 3D content - which Sony is pushing heavily with PS3 and 3D Bravia TVs.

"Our perspective is they are doing something different and that's what Nintendo does," said Dille. "They've got their own view, Sony has their own view. Our hope is they do it well because we're big advocates of 3D. We need consumers to have good 3D experiences.

"I actually haven't seen much of their technology. I know people are excited about it. I've heard a little bit that if you move your head a certain way you might lose the image," he added.

"I just hope they do a great job, building a great 3D platform so people are interested in other 3D platforms. Because, collectively, we need to make sure a consumer has a good experience with 3D however they're experiencing it so they have an interest in more 3D."

Link

Seems this means PSP2 won't be a direct competitor to 3DS :P maybe PSP2 = smartphone.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

Translation: they hope its a big flop and if it isn't they will just copy it! :D

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

Thats a bit odd considering Nintendo believse that glassless 3d is the future, so Sony expects to get Nintendo fans to settle for inferior technology? I personally don't like 3d because of the glasses which is the sole reason why I will never buy a 3d device. Zero content doesn't help either.

MasterBolt360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 MasterBolt360
Member since 2009 • 5293 Posts

That's code for;

"Nintendo < Sony"

in Sony language

lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts

SCEA's senior VP of marketing Peter Dille has said he hopes Nintendo does "a good job" with the 3DS because it could increase consumer interest in 3D content - which Sony is pushing heavily with PS3 and 3D Bravia TVs.

"Our perspective is they are doing something different and that's what Nintendo does," said Dille. "They've got their own view, Sony has their own view. Our hope is they do it well because we're big advocates of 3D. We need consumers to have good 3D experiences.

"I actually haven't seen much of their technology. I know people are excited about it. I've heard a little bit that if you move your head a certain way you might lose the image," he added.

"I just hope they do a great job, building a great 3D platform so people are interested in other 3D platforms. Because, collectively, we need to make sure a consumer has a good experience with 3D however they're experiencing it so they have an interest in more 3D."

Link

Seems this means PSP2 won't be a direct competitor to 3DS :P maybe PSP2 = smartphone.

Kashiwaba

Well I hope its not a phone :P

Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Half-Way
Member since 2010 • 5001 Posts

oh you gotta love the fakeness :P but its obvious that they cant beat it, so why say something stupid? Saying something nice is the better way to go.

Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Zanoh
Member since 2006 • 6942 Posts

Wow that's the first nice comment coming from them. Hey if 3DS does sell, it would be a market advantage for Sony on the home market.

vadicta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

#8 vadicta
Member since 2007 • 4354 Posts

So, then the PSP2 isn't coming out any time soon. They don't want to try to compete after that kind of endorsement. And this would have been their perfect chance to be the under-priced, great battery life, technically weaker handheld and clean up :P

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts

oh you gotta love the fakeness :P but its obvious that they cant beat it, so why say something stupid? Saying something nice is the better way to go.

Half-Way

yeah they should come and say funny stuff for you to come and scream aganist them...:roll:

sometimes SW just amazes me, they are being nice and SW can read people's mind

you should enlist to the pokerstars tournament! stop wasting time here!

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Depending on who's talking, I've heard some nice things. Glad they are being nice.

lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lbjkurono23

So, then the PSP2 isn't coming out any time soon. They don't want to try to compete after that kind of endorsement. And this would have been their perfect chance to be the under-priced, great battery life, technically weaker handheld and clean up :P

vadicta
Well if the rumor is true( the 5" screen tablet like system) then it's not going to be competing for the same market.
Desulated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#12 Desulated
Member since 2005 • 30952 Posts

What a lie. :lol:

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

well i have to say that a very kind thing to say... its to bad Sony decided to make PSP2 a phone. probably buy it anyway considering that im looking into an android phone once my contract expires.

Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Half-Way

[QUOTE="Half-Way"]

Giancar

yeah they should come and say funny stuff for you to come and scream aganist them...:roll:

i dont scream at anyone, im always calm 8)

and besides, what did you expect? Do you want me to give them praise? For what exactly?

lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lbjkurono23

well i have to say that a very kind thing to say... its to bad Sony decided to make PSP2 a phone. probably buy it anyway considering that im looking into an android phone once my contract expires.

painguy1
Was the psp2 confirmed to be the phone device?
rcafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rcafan
Member since 2010 • 2025 Posts
nice to here someone at sony... not be ignorant.
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 painguy1

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

lbjkurono23

there was a few articles with Sony confirming the PSPish phone device. It kinda siad some stuff about pushing games on it with a completely seperate market place for games (similar to PSP GO). so im guessing that is the case. its up to interpretation i guess.

Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Kashiwaba

[QUOTE="Giancar"]

[QUOTE="Half-Way"]

Half-Way

and besides, what did you expect? Do you want me to give them praise? For what exactly?

For not being as arrogant as usual :P well if they said something bad you would have said SONY never changes they are as arrogant as usual.

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Giancar

[QUOTE="Giancar"]

[QUOTE="Half-Way"]

Half-Way

I don't expect anyone praising a companies for having good manners( a thing that everyone should have) but I've seen you tons of times calling companies arrogant or copy cats or w/e and now when they say something nice, you simply decide to go through the PR words. =/
AznKSor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AznKSor
Member since 2010 • 1400 Posts

Well thats a nice thing to say :) I do believe his statement

Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

Wow that's the first nice comment coming from them. Hey if 3DS does sell, it would be a market advantage for Sony on the home market.

Zanoh

That's exactly what Sony is hoping for- that if people like the 3DS (sans glasses), they'll buy a Sony 3D tv.

lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lbjkurono23

[QUOTE="lbjkurono23"][QUOTE="painguy1"]

painguy1

there was a few articles with Sony confirming the PSPish phone device. It kinda siad some stuff about pushing games on it with a completely seperate market place for games (similar to PSP GO). so im guessing that is the case. its up to interpretation i guess.

Way too many rumors going out. If that turns out to be the case then I will be disappointed. The battery will be dreadful and I don't want a gaming cellphone );
Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Half-Way

[QUOTE="Half-Way"]

[QUOTE="Giancar"] yeah they should come and say funny stuff for you to come and scream aganist them...:roll:

Kashiwaba

For not being as arrogant as usual :P well if they said something bad you would have said SONY never changes they are as arrogant as usual.

im like a character in "the sims" , my love for sony is currently low. 1 comment wont change that, and im not going to say anything nice until the ":)" bar is filled. So they will have to buy me some candy and flowers if they want to marry me.

;)

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Giancar

[QUOTE="Kashiwaba"]

[QUOTE="Half-Way"]

Half-Way

im like a character in "the sims" , my love for sony is currently low. 1 comment wont change that, and im not going to say anything nice until the ":)" bar is filled. So they will have to buy me some candy and flowers if they want to marry me.

;)

nobody is saying that you should love them =/
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 painguy1

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

[QUOTE="lbjkurono23"] Was the psp2 confirmed to be the phone device?lbjkurono23

Way too many rumors going out. If that turns out to be the case then I will be disappointed. The battery will be dreadful and I don't want a gaming cellphone );

lol probably will be like the PSP1 haha

shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 shinrabanshou
Member since 2009 • 8458 Posts

Thats a bit odd considering Nintendo believse that glassless 3d is the future, so Sony expects to get Nintendo fans to settle for inferior technology? I personally don't like 3d because of the glasses which is the sole reason why I will never buy a 3d device. Zero content doesn't help either.

Fizzman

Good glassless 3D in a living room setting is a very far off future.

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

[QUOTE="Fizzman"]

shinrabanshou

Which is why i don't see home 3d sets succeeding for a while.

Could be wrong, but atm the demand isn't there. Espesially if movie studios keep releasing crappy 3d movies which leaves viewers dissapointed. Im looking at you Clash of the god awful titans.

Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Kashiwaba

[QUOTE="Fizzman"]

shinrabanshou

Actually this would be a nightmare for people who wear glasses (like me) lol I don't want to switch to contacts every time I want to watch TV.

Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Half-Way

[QUOTE="Half-Way"]

[QUOTE="Kashiwaba"]

[QUOTE="Half-Way"]

Giancar

;)

nobody is saying that you should love them =/[/QUOTE

Im always skeptic when it comes to someone suddenly changing their attitude. Im going to give them praise when they have proven to me that they deserve it.

Dont get me wrong, i loved sony last gen, in fact i only had a PS2 because it satisfied my needs. But times have changed, and there is nothing wrong with that. No one will die because i dont like them anymore :P

vadicta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

#30 vadicta
Member since 2007 • 4354 Posts

[QUOTE="vadicta"]

lbjkurono23

Well if the rumor is true( the 5" screen tablet like system) then it's not going to be competing for the same market.

I guess it looks that way, hotdog man. Which is sad, I was looking for a cheap next gen handheld. But I suppose, as always, I'm out of of luck :P

SilverChimera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 SilverChimera
Member since 2009 • 9256 Posts
Woah, they didn't say something that's completely ****tarded. Sony's growing brain cells (Is that even possible? )
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

i hope 3d survives, i would love to throw some good old fashioned sw hate at it since y'know it's different and strange (and we sw people hate that lol)but i just can't

i have seen the movies and played the games and to me it is the real deal.

i am still waiting to buy the glasses that go with my tv since there is not enough software but when the library fills out a bit i am there.

AdmiralBison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 AdmiralBison
Member since 2008 • 3970 Posts

I hope Sony aren't relying on Nintendo for 3D to take off for the PS3 or something.

In the meantime i'm pretty sure Sony will continue to rag on Nintendo in some way or form.

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#34 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

Makes sense.

it might be a surprise to people but competition between companies isn't nearly as blood thirsty as fanboys make it out to appear.

if Nintendo does well with the 3DS - which it is almost guaranteed it will. It will look for Sony as well because - well they do a whole lot more then just gaming, they sell 3D TV's, and the PS3's can do 3D. so it'll increase sales on some level for their products as well.

so yeah there you go.

Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts
Nintendo is promoting 3D. Know who else has 3D? Us! By the way, apparently Nintendo's 3D no work good. Really Sony? Did you miss the bit when the Nintendo execs said. "Hey... that 3D thing that companies like Sony are doing. People would really like that if it wasn't so annoying and impractical. Lets do the same thing, but take out the annoying and impractical bit." 3DS success, if anything, will have people asking 'why do I need glasses' when they see a 3D T.V. It's not going to help Sony at all.
ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Not surprised, Sony wanted to work with nintendo to deliver the "3D is the future" message. If the 3DS sells good, customers might be interessted in Sony products like their Tvs, upcomming 3D movies or the PS3 which can play 3D games/movies. Sure it's weird to hope that the 3DS does good especially with the PSP2 around, but having a lot of customers who are interessted in 3D products would be a good thing for Sony

Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#37 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts

Translation: they hope its a big flop and if it isn't they will just copy it! :D

xhawk27
Exactly what I was thinking. :P
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Tylendal

Not surprised, Sony wanted to work with nintendo to deliver the "3D is the future" message. If the 3DS sells good, customers might be interessted in Sony products like their Tvs, upcomming 3D movies or the PS3 which can play 3D games/movies. Sure it's weird to hope that the 3DS does good especially with the PSP2 around, but having a lot of customers who are interessted in 3D products would be a good thing for Sony

ArchoNils2
No. No, that's not how it works at all. The 3DS is like tasty food. 3D T.V.s are like tasty food you can only eat if you also buy an obligatory set of automated masticators. 3DS won't make people interested in 3D T.V. It will make them wonder why it doesn't work as well.
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

Sony is probably okay with it because they're the only console with 3D. Nintendo hasn't dealt with 3D televisions yet.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

[QUOTE="ArchoNils2"]

Tylendal

No. No, that's not how it works at all. The 3DS is like tasty food. 3D T.V.s are like tasty food you can only eat if you also buy an obligatory set of automated masticators. 3DS won't make people interested in 3D T.V. It will make them wonder why it doesn't work as well.

Just because you hate the glasses doesn't mean everyone does. It doesn't take long to realise, that the effect gets drastically worse witht he angle and anyone who saw 3D usung shutter glasses would realise why this technology is more suited. Don't get me wrong, for a portable device it's nice you don't have to wear glasses, but I prefer the shutter glasses when it comes to Tvs and I don't get the hate for the wearing of shutter glasses oO Personally my eyes aren't prefect which is why I usually wear glasses whenever I do something where I need my eyes at 100% (driving, gaming). I couldn't care less to to have 2 glasses on and actually nobody who came to test 3D at my home cared for the glasses they had to wear oO

Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Tylendal

[QUOTE="Tylendal"][QUOTE="ArchoNils2"]

ArchoNils2

Just because you hate the glasses doesn't mean everyone does. It doesn't take long to realise, that the effect gets drastically worse witht he angle and anyone who saw 3D usung shutter glasses would realise why this technology is more suited. Don't get me wrong, for a portable device it's nice you don't have to wear glasses, but I prefer the shutter glasses when it comes to Tvs and I don't get the hate for the wearing of shutter glasses oO Personally my eyes aren't prefect which is why I usually wear glasses whenever I do something where I need my eyes at 100% (driving, gaming). I couldn't care less to to have 2 glasses on and actually nobody who came to test 3D at my home cared for the glasses they had to wear oO

I'm not denying what you say, but I still think Sony's logic is flawed. I'm reasonably confidant that the 3DS will have little effect on the sales of 3D televisions either way.
Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
Sony is invested in the 3D market heavilly and I would assume the 3Ds being a smash hit will help consumers into the trend of 3D entertainment "with glasses or without" and I would also be amazed if they were not allready pumping out prototype 3D TV's that don't require glasses.
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#43 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
I didn't see where sony says they want the 3DS to do well. They said they hope that nintendo does it well. There is a big difference there. They want nintendo to execute the idea well so that people don't get turned off by the 3D effect. It's a laced insult, implying that nintendo might screw it up
racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#44 racing1750
Member since 2010 • 14567 Posts
In other words "We're hoping it fails"
bowser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 63

#45 bowser3
Member since 2008 • 446 Posts

Link

Kashiwaba

UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 UCF_Knight
Member since 2010 • 6863 Posts
Sometimes it seems as if people believe everyone at each respective company wishes for the competition to completely fail.
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts

Empty PR words.

I wouldn't believe it if Nintendo hoped the PSP2 did well as well.

gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 gaming25
Member since 2010 • 6181 Posts
[QUOTE="Half-Way"]

Im always skeptic when it comes to someone suddenly changing their attitude. Im going to give them praise when they have proven to me that they deserve it.

Dont get me wrong, i loved sony last gen, in fact i only had a PS2 because it satisfied my needs. But times have changed, and there is nothing wrong with that. No one will die because i dont like them anymore :P

The thing I am wondering is, what has sony done so bad that has pissed you off that much at them?
gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 gaming25
Member since 2010 • 6181 Posts

Why cant it be that Sony wants the 3DS to do well? Is that a stretch to think such a thing?

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts

Why cant it be that Sony wants the 3DS to do well? Is that a stretch to think such a thing?

gaming25

Tell me of a company that wants to be successful that simultaneously wants their competitors to be successful.

Tell me of a company that would not LOVE to be the one in a monopoly. :P