Sony Files A New Patent For A Handheld With Clickable Analog Sticks

• 87 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Sony have filed a patent for a new portable system with clickable analog sticks. Is this a new Vita revision incoming, perhaps one that can offer better Remote Play (since the biggest issue with Vita providing Remote Play now is the lack of L2/R2/L3/R3)? Or is this something new entirely, maybe a brand new handheld that has been developed on the Vita as a base, an incremental improvement over it to ensure Sony has a signature presence in the handheld market?

What is this, and when is it going to be revealed? Also remember that Sony has registered patents for a handheld with four shoulder buttons before- so are they seriously working on a new revision/a new handheld?

At the very least, it is heartening to see that they are not giving up on the handheld market yet.

SOURCE, SOURCE

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

I will probably pass on the next Sony handheld unless they show me that they'll actually support the thing. And if it's a revision? I'm sure Japan will eat it up.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#3 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

Nice, I would like to see another handheld from Sony. I loved the PSP and I still use it from time to time, but lolvita really broke my heart with the library and the price of those cards

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Calling it now,PSP GO 2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Zassimick said:

I will probably pass on the next Sony handheld unless they show me that they'll actually support the thing. And if it's a revision? I'm sure Japan will eat it up.

You know Zass, maybe I am part of the problem, but I sure as hell will get a new Sony handheld the day I can. I adore the Vita, sure, Sony cared two shits for it, and I have no faith in their ability to support a new handheld, but I am sure it will have games worth playing regardless of Sony's lack of support, just like the PSP, just like the Vita. Plus, it'll be a marvel of engineering just like those two, too, so all of those are reasons enough for me to want one.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

*Input Method.

Dem clickable analogs, yo!!! :P

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7  Edited By bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

If there is no L2/R2 then this thing will be a disaster. It needs as many buttons as the PS4 controller. Otherwise its a waste.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@bunchanumbers said:

If there is no L2/R2 then this thing will be a disaster. It needs as many buttons as the PS4 controller. Otherwise its a waste.

Unless it's meant to be a brand new handheld?

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#9 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:

Unless its not supposed to be a glorified accessory?

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bunchanumbers

@charizard1605 said:
@bunchanumbers said:

Unless it's meant to be a brand new handheld?

@aigis said:
@bunchanumbers said:

Unless its not supposed to be a glorified accessory?

New handheld or glorified accessory it needs to happen. PS4 is king and Sony should be doing everything in their power to make sure that everything flies with it. I'm sure that this thing will be able to stream ps4 games like Vita. So it makes sense that they add enough buttons to match. Sony loves buttons! It boggles the mind that they don't add enough buttons to their handhelds.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@bunchanumbers: Yeah, I agree on that front. Especially since now that even 3DS has full input parity with the Wii U, Sony has no reason to skimp out on inputs on their handhelds.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#12  Edited By zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts
@charizard1605 said:

You know Zass, maybe I am part of the problem, but I sure as hell will get a new Sony handheld the day I can. I adore the Vita, sure, Sony cared two shits for it, and I have no faith in their ability to support a new handheld, but I am sure it will have games worth playing regardless of Sony's lack of support, just like the PSP, just like the Vita. Plus, it'll be a marvel of engineering just like those two, too, so all of those are reasons enough for me to want one.

:P Seriously, that's my problem. I love the what the Vita is in terms of hardware; absolutely love it. And I have gotten a ton of time with the thing. It's how I played Persona 4 Golden which has become a highlight in gaming memory. It's how I'm able to find the time to finally play and beat a classic like Final Fantasy IX. And I've played a number of other games that are great on it thanks to Playstation Plus; I only bought one retail game for the handheld because of PS+.

The handheld is probably one of my biggest disappointments in gaming memory, though. I mean, I only bought one retail game for it! There wasn't enough there to make me happy, and I'm so easy-to-please and the console is such a good piece of hardware that it should have been an ace with how good the thing is. A lot of people love it, like you and @Blabadon and I can see why you do like it. The Vita just didn't have enough there for me, and Sony's effort put into it paints a poor picture for a successor.

Chocobo_PS2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Chocobo_PS2
Member since 2005 • 81 Posts

Get the minimum framerate to 60 fps too!! It's such a pain fighting a boss type who can one shot/combo loop 100-0 you at 5-20 frames. lol

Btw I like my Vita better, 3DS only one game so far.

And I only one who play on Japanese games who can't read Japanese language according counting all forum users. Since all those gajins like to bully along with moderator(+expose their real life address according my Fed search) if any chance one who can't read Japanese language namely Gamefaqs users. That is why I kill all those majorly sage up+ who got invited on boat. Especially ones who running their mouth more than others. They didn't know I was playing undercover.

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#14 khoofia_pika
Member since 2006 • 16761 Posts

I don't think it's a revision. Sony have made it clear several times now that they're done with the Vita. If they aren't supporting it with games or marketing- or even simple words, for that matter- I doubt they'll support it with a revision.

This might be a new handheld. Going against all logic, at least it seems that way to me. I doubt Sony would want to return to the handheld market after the Vita's failure, but man, I so badly hope they do. The PSP was a great system, the Vita has excellent hardware (even if its library is a little iffy)... if Sony can produce a third handheld and get its right this time, they could have a winner on their hands.

And yes, I think the Vita/PS4 Remote Play might be a very important factor here. Nintendo are seemingly going down that road with the NX with its cross-compatibility and everything, after all, so why not Sony?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Zassimick said:
@charizard1605 said:

:P Seriously, that's my problem. I love the what the Vita is in terms of hardware; absolutely love it. And I have gotten a ton of time with the thing. It's how I played Persona 4 Golden which has become a highlight in gaming memory. It's how I'm able to find the time to finally play and beat a classic like Final Fantasy IX. And I've played a number of other games that are great on it thanks to Playstation Plus; I only bought one retail game for the handheld because of PS+.

The handheld is probably one of my biggest disappointments in gaming memory, though. I mean, I only bought one retail game for it! There wasn't enough there to make me happy, and I'm so easy-to-please and the console is such a good piece of hardware that it should have been an ace with how good the thing is. A lot of people love it, like you and @Blabadon and I can see why you do like it. The Vita just didn't have enough there for me, and Sony's effort put into it paints a poor picture for a successor.

No, I mean, I absolutely agree. In a very paradoxical way, my love for Vita is basically evidence of my disappointment with it. Here is what is undoubtedly the most perfectly made and engineered piece of gaming hardware of all time, for my money- it's a gorgeous system, and capable of running so many games the best. The sad part is that with so much potential and so much going for it, it's still a hard sell, because Sony really screwed up with it. They screwed up with the PSP too, but the PSP came through because it had the full backing of third parties- the Vita doesn't even have that.

It's really sad, and I don't begrudge anyone who's actually disappointed with the Vita, because there's a lot to be disappointed about. In many ways, the Vita is the reverse 3DS- the 3DS is a poorly made machine that by all accounts shouldn't be as great as it is, but Nintendo's persistent support makes it. The Vita, on the other hand, is an incredible machine that should be great, but Sony's lack of support breaks it.

But, I mean, I enjoyed mine. I loved it. Persona 4 Golden, DanganRonpa, DanganRonpa 2, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Virtue's Last Reward, plus a whole host of indie games, made my investment in it worth it. I'm going to continue to hope that Sony makes a great handheld again, and buy their next one- and I will also hope that they can actually compete the next time, because as much as I love and prefer Nintendo and their handhelds, I also don't want a market where they get no competition.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@charizard1605: Not completely, their circle pads by nature are impossible to click (though touch screen does alleviate it somewhat).

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Will they ever learn?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@hiphops_savior: Right, they don't have clickable analogs (touch screen/gyroscope shouldn't count here, since the Wii U has those exact inputs too).

Okay, almost achieved parity, then :p

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#19 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

I would be surprised if they came out with a new portable. It was a challenging market before because of Nintendo's stronghold on the market, but now it is even much worse because of smartphones.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44679 Posts

Since analog clicking seems to be the main leading culprit leading to early analog module failure, with the new analog modules everybody is using with the cheap plastic braces on the axes (thanks to the cheap Chinese manufacturing and planned obsolescence) I'd worry such a design might lead to lot of unnecessary repairs to the units.

But hey, this is good news they're not throwing in the towel with the portable systems. Like I said before, not having a new portable system might be trouble for Sony since a lot of their Japanese support seems primarily devoted to serving their handhelds and that helps the PS4 too as they get a lot of cross platform support. If they didn't have a new handheld then I think it would have been possible, especially if the NX turned out to be a hybrid device, that Nintendo might have possibly been the beneficiary of Sony's failure to release another handheld by taking much of their domestic third party support, which is a big thing to the foreign markets that want Japanese games. Nintendo's third party market would become too strong. That could potential threaten Sony's console territory. It's a good idea for Sony to invest in a new portable for no other reason than to protect its share of the market, not necessarily just to make a profit on the portable systems by itself.

I think what hurt the Vita the most was the proprietary memory cards, that was awful stuff. Though, I think their excuse of worrying about piracy was legit, after all I read that it was so easy pirate games on the PSP, like really really easy that... well, I'll just leave it at that. But that to me seemed to be a problem with their rights verification and security features and they could have strengthened that without the proprietary memory cards.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22962 Posts

Oh my god a new gen Vita would be simply marvelous for my list gaming wants. It also further cements Sony as one of the most bewildering companies around.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Those pictures seem to be like the OLED vita...which would seem odd to release

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts

Probably their new phone.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#24 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

They patented for clickable sticks on a handheld, the title is highly misleading. There's no way they're going to go back to the worse Start and Select buttons and add the mystery port again.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Blabadon said:

They patented for clickable sticks on a handheld, the title is highly misleading. There's no way they're going to go back to the worse Start and Select buttons and add the mystery port again.

Companies often use older models in patents, that's nothing new- Nintendo had the DS Lite in several 3DS patents and the Wii U Gamepad in several NX patents. Sony using a Vita 1000 form factor in a patent for future hardware isn't a flag either way.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Blabadon

@charizard1605: right, but still, misleading title bro.

madskills6117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 madskills6117
Member since 2006 • 4172 Posts

I think it would be a mistake for Sony to get back into the handheld market. The Vita was a great piece of hardware but was treated like the ugly step child to the Playstation brand.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Blabadon said:

@charizard1605: right, but still, misleading title bro.

Fixed!

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

I doubt it's a full fledged handheld, but rather something for remote play/PS now on mobile

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Blabadon

Good.

Now it's still not coming out lol, nature of patents. This likely means nothing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Blabadon said:

Good.

Now it's still not coming out lol, nature of patents. This likely means nothing.

I'm gonna continue holding out in hopes that we get a PSP3, you shut your trap

@lostrib said:

I doubt it's a full fledged handheld, but rather something for remote play/PS now on mobile

I could see it basically being a PS Classics/PS Remote Play machine, yeah. Sell it for $100, I suppose.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

I can see a case where clicky analog sticks would be useful were the device paired to something like a VR helmet.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Shewgenja said:

I can see a case where clicky analog sticks would be useful were the device paired to something like a VR helmet.

A handheld with screens being paired to a VR headset seems to be... well, very redundant.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#35 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Vita 2 plzzzzzzzzzz!

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

It will be funny if Sony copies NX (whatever NX may be) but bundles it with the PS5 and sells PS5 for $399-499. I feel releasing another standalone handheld will be automatic DoA. You dont abandon your fanbase and then get it back that easy.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@charizard1605: not at all. As a platform for game development, isolating your product to only work in VR would murder your market share. People get sick or would complain to complain. On the other hand, if you make a console and games that are VR compatible (like Gran Turismo Sport) then you open up the games to both audiences.

People thinking that there will be no cross pollination are almost missing the entire point. VR isn't going to be a separate ecosystem. They'll just be having more fun in yours.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#38 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

The PSvita has only sold 12.9 Million systems which is only comparable to the Wii U's 11.9 million systems sold. The PSvita is still actively supported in Japan and Asian region. The PSvita is a failure in North America and Europe. Every region in the world has discontinued the PSvita.

So while Sony has a new patent for a handheld System with clickable thumbsticks. There will not be another portable PlayStation System released from Sony. PlayStation portable sold an impressive 80.4 million systems from 2004-2014 but PSvita only managed 12.9 Million. While PSvita is the wolrds most advanced handheld gaming system. It failed to gain mainstream support in the western market. So Sony is unlikely to chance another portable game system.

It would like a PSvita successor, But apart from Japan Handhelds just are not popular, Plus Sony is in trouble financially so risking another portable playstation gaming system is not going to happen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Megavideogamer: 'But apart from Japan Handhelds just are not popular'

How does that explain the 3DS, then?

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@charizard1605:

Maybe a new model for Japan? Isn't vita selling alright, there? Maybe the sticks will be replaceable.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

Hate to say it, but I hope Sony is not developing another handheld. On top of PSVR and their already slow development of first party PS4 games, another handheld will just spread them way too thin.

That said, patent filing doesn't really mean much and the image in there looks an awful lot like a Vita.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

PSP had a good library. I don't get why Vita never got any support.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By bunchanumbers

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

PS3 happened. Sony lost billions on it and it made them hesitant to make anything. They were hoping that Vita would do what PS4 did, which is Sony introduces the hardware and it sells like gangbusters. Then Sony releases token support and let others make the games for it. There's no way Sony was gonna battle all odds and start devoting all their resources to making Vita games. They already did that with PS3 and it was not a profitable venture. Its easier to let the handheld languish then perish than to spend all that money again.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#44 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

The next playstation portable system need to remove that vita name.. just go old school like the consoles and name it PlayStation Portable 2

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45  Edited By hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@Shewgenja said:

A handheld with screens being paired to a VR headset seems to be... well, very redundant.

It's also literally a safety hazard if you play as you go. That's not mentioning how demanding it is on hardware.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@charizard1605: Clickable analog sticks? Count me out. After they threw the towel in on the PSP and PSVita, why even bother?

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#47 Spitfire-Six
Member since 2014 • 1378 Posts

Possibly to prevent someone else from using the technology under threat of lawsuit. Cut Nintendo off before the NX uses similar technology.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

It would make no sense to release another Vita revision at this point, though I suppose if they want to double down on the "2nd screen controller" aspect it would make some sense. But isn't it a little late for that?

I can't see them making another handheld, but maybe they will give it another go. The disagrams are all Vita though, so it might just be a "patent" for Vita that never amounts to anything.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

In in for a new PS portable. It will dominate if the memory cards are priced right.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

PS3 happened. Sony lost billions on it and it made them hesitant to make anything. They were hoping that Vita would do what PS4 did, which is Sony introduces the hardware and it sells like gangbusters. Then Sony releases token support and let others make the games for it. There's no way Sony was gonna battle all odds and start devoting all their resources to making Vita games. They already did that with PS3 and it was not a profitable venture. Its easier to let the handheld languish then perish than to spend all that money again.

This theory isn't quite correct. The PS3 was a massive money hemorrhage for Sony, yes, not in any way or shape because of the software or their support for it (1st party stuff).

The Vita unfortunately suffered from a similar WiiU trainwreck (in fact their overal LTD sales are still fairly similar, though Nintendo has end up putting more quality software on their trainwreck). Poor marketing, poor pricing by direct comparison (though mostly because Nintendo were smart as to when to cut the 3DS pricing), still expensive as hell proprietary BS, and lack of truly must own games for quite a bit. Factor in that Sony was still supporting the PS3 and the PS4 was just right around the corner, and I suppose they decided the easiest one to "let die" would be the Vita. Which is a shame, it's an amazing piece of hardware for the price point.

A Sony produced handheld hardware platform + a Nintendo expertise on handheld software would be something too epic to handle.