Sony Execs are really talking trash now. Does MS have a comeback?

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

anklebreakr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 anklebreakr
Member since 2007 • 254 Posts

Talking to Gamasutra during a one-on-one interview, Peter Dille, the new senior vice president of marketing for PlayStation maintained that the 360 cannot sustain itself over a 10 year cycle - and also stated that he believes HD DVD will be dead within months. Here's an excerpt of the conversation, which will eventually be published in full.

Gamasutra: I feel like now we're at a 10 year cycle for console profitability for everyone except Nintendo at this point...

Peter Dille: Except Microsoft too!

Gamasutra: I'm not saying they're profitable.

PD: They're also not 10 year! The first Xbox was around for 4 or 5 years, and then they stopped making software for it.

Gamasutra: I'm just saying it's a longer tail before Sony and Microsoft will make money.

PD: I don't want to be argumentative, but I take issue with Microsoft either having a long tail, or being profitable, because they've never done either. They've never made a dime in this business, number one, and number two, they've never had a tail. They've never been successful enough to have a tail! So the notion of a back half of the curve doesn't exist for them. They stopped the Xbox and I kind of feel for the guy that bought an Xbox the month before they said 'we're out of business, we're moving on.' The reason I get a little emotional about that is it's in stark contrast to our approach. If we've got something that says PlayStation, we're going to stand behind it for 10 years, and deliver games like God of War II in the 7th year of the cycle.

With the Xbox 360 you've got an inconsistent design, some have a harddrive, some don't, and none of them have Blu-Ray, and the HD DVD will be out of business in a matter of months. Is this a 10 year product? And by the way it doesn't even work. Do they want to be selling it for 10 years and refurbishing them all for 10 more years? I don't think that's a 10 year product. You could disagree with me, or they could disagree with me, but I'd put that up against the PS3 any day.

LINK

skullkrusher13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 skullkrusher13
Member since 2004 • 8629 Posts
sony makes me laugh how they never cease to say "bu bu ten year cycle". What a giant load.
Blinblingthing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Blinblingthing
Member since 2005 • 6943 Posts

sony makes me laugh how they never cease to say "bu bu ten year cycle". What a giant load.skullkrusher13

What Life cycle are you expecting. Mind you they have to recoup early loses taken. They aren't gonna make a new console this early. pS3 and 360 expect long lifes

Primevil702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Primevil702
Member since 2005 • 911 Posts

Well, he's not really pulling anything from his rear... but it is of course biased. But really, you can't refute what they did to the Xbox. They left it for dead. Yet somehow the PS2 is still the 2nd best selling console, with a few excellent and many decent games that have been coming out these last few months.

As for HD-DVD being dead in months... I think we'll see traces of HD-DVD throughout the next year. But really, as PS3 sales increase and Blu-Ray begins to catch on even more, it's just a matter of time for HD-DVD. The support behind that format is nearly non-exsistant.

theburg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 theburg
Member since 2005 • 976 Posts
I am a huge cow but this '10 year life cycle' **** has to stop.
Forza_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Forza_2
Member since 2007 • 3083 Posts
That's the same guy who said that MotorStorm was 1080p 60fps...
Avatar image for XenogearsMaster
XenogearsMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 XenogearsMaster
Member since 2007 • 3175 Posts

sony makes me laugh how they never cease to say "bu bu ten year cycle". What a giant load.skullkrusher13

They've supported the PS1... yes for 10 years.

They've supported the PS2... yes for 7 years... 3 more years to go.

Why do you think it's any difference with the PS3?

Jada_Kiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jada_Kiss
Member since 2004 • 228 Posts

I am a huge cow but this '10 year life cycle' **** has to stop.theburg

why? the PS2 is in its 7th year.

GKinnel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 GKinnel
Member since 2004 • 667 Posts

Well, he's not really pulling anything from his rear... but it is of course biased. But really, you can't refute what they did to the Xbox. They left it for dead. Yet somehow the PS2 is still the 2nd best selling console, with a few excellent and many decent games that have been coming out these last few months.

As for HD-DVD being dead in months... I think we'll see traces of HD-DVD throughout the next year. But really, as PS3 sales increase and Blu-Ray begins to catch on even more, it's just a matter of time for HD-DVD. The support behind that format is nearly non-exsistant.

Primevil702

I agree.

theburg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 theburg
Member since 2005 • 976 Posts

[QUOTE="theburg"]I am a huge cow but this '10 year life cycle' **** has to stop.Jada_Kiss

why? the PS2 is in its 7th year.

So what. Every dev except first party will have moved on by next year. There will be no AAAs for PS2 again. Just because they produce stuff for it for 10 years doenst mean its not going to be crap. They can produce stuff for PS3 for 10 years but it will be crap too and the devs will be focusing on PS4.

StryderK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 StryderK
Member since 2006 • 3189 Posts

This 10 year life cycle is bullock and Sony knows it!

Does consoles last 10 years? Yes. Check out the PS1 and soon PS2. But do they REALLY last 10 years? The answer is not just a no but a HELL no! Even if PS1 lasted 10 years and looks like PS2 will too, just how much support they recieved during those last 5 years?

I mean what would happen say in 2012 when MS or Nintendo comes out with consoles more powerful than the PS3? Will Sony be stupid and say, "Nah, we won't compete because we gotta get the PS3 through that 10 year life cycle!" Anyway, the point is, consoles last as long as developers makes games for it. If developers makes games, it will last. If they don't, then you are screwed! Now even if the PS3 is on a 10 year schedule, if at the end of 5 or 6, the avearge life span of most consoles, developers starts to concentrate on teh "Next-GEn," then the PS3 is dead no matter what and with current performance, I don't think it will even last that long!

Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Zhengi
Member since 2006 • 8479 Posts

At least he makes a good point about the 360s that continue to break down. How are they supposed to last with all the hardware failures?

And I'm also getting kind of tired of their talk about 10 year cycles. It's definitely a nice little PR spin, but they're overusing it and sounding desperate right now.

skullkrusher13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 skullkrusher13

[QUOTE="skullkrusher13"]sony makes me laugh how they never cease to say "bu bu ten year cycle". What a giant load.Blinblingthing

What Life cycle are you expecting. Mind you they have to recoup early loses taken. They aren't gonna make a new console this early. pS3 and 360 expect long lifes

MS is already working on the new xbox, and ps3 is not going to last 10 years. Please.

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lucas_kelly
Member since 2005 • 5783 Posts
That guy is a compleat moron. He is so far up Sony's ass its not funny.
Thompsonwhore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Thompsonwhore
Member since 2003 • 2059 Posts
[QUOTE="Blinblingthing"]

[QUOTE="skullkrusher13"]sony makes me laugh how they never cease to say "bu bu ten year cycle". What a giant load.skullkrusher13

MS is already working on the new xbox, and ps3 is not going to last 10 years. Please.

Maybe they're conceptualizing one, but they're certainly not developing it.

anklebreakr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 anklebreakr
[QUOTE="Blinblingthing"]

[QUOTE="skullkrusher13"]sony makes me laugh how they never cease to say "bu bu ten year cycle". What a giant load.skullkrusher13

MS is working on next gen and Sony and Nintendo aren't?

PS2 has lasted 7 years and they're still making software for them, so 10 years is very possible.

me2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 me2002
Member since 2002 • 3058 Posts
he sounds like a system wars fanboy
Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

I wouldn't expect anything less from Sony...they always talk the talk but put up the smoke and mirrors before they walk the walk.

MS shows you the games and then that's it. I'm not going to bash a company for being direct.

skullkrusher13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 skullkrusher13
[QUOTE="skullkrusher13"][QUOTE="Blinblingthing"]

[QUOTE="skullkrusher13"]sony makes me laugh how they never cease to say "bu bu ten year cycle". What a giant load.anklebreakr

PS2 has lasted 7 years and they're still making software for them, so 10 years is very possible.

1. Yes, why haven't you heard from J Allard for awhile? He said (forgot where)yes, they are working on a next gen xbox already.

2. ps2 was by far and away the winner of last gen, you think it has 3 years left? I doubt it, and even if it does, how is that relevant to the ps3, which is behind, and won't be the winner this gen unless they drop their price to $300 tommorrow.

Avatar image for XenogearsMaster
XenogearsMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 XenogearsMaster
Member since 2007 • 3175 Posts

Is the interview legit? It sounds fishy.

toxicmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 toxicmog
Member since 2006 • 6355 Posts

bleh, PS1 only had a 6 year life cycle at best o.o

PS2 had the longest because of its massive install base.....

If the current 'ps3 trend' keeps up, they wont be in for 10 years. I can bet that.

snoz_dawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 snoz_dawg
Member since 2006 • 731 Posts

he says the xbox is not profitable whilst the ps3 looses something like $200 on each console bhahahahahahahahahahahaha. this guy is mentally defective

v-vega75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 v-vega75
Member since 2006 • 414 Posts
only reason why ps2 is still kicking is becuase dev cost for the ps2 is cheaper and will sell more because of the installed base. sony has to surport it becuase it's the only thing making money for them now. ps3 will go back to $600 atfer this month when the 80gig becomes more avaliable. thus negating a price drop. when more dev start making more games for the ps3 and dev are sure they will get back there investments in the ps3. we will see the ps2 die slowly. i give it til 2008 or early 2009 when the ps2 stop sell. and by that time MS and ninty will be talking about there new system coming out in 2010. and sony will be making the ps4 at that time. killing the 10 slogan they talk about.
Pariah_001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Pariah_001
Member since 2003 • 4850 Posts

MS shows you the games and then that's it. I'm not going to bash a company for being direct. Puckhog04

Not to mention the defective consoles, which then proceed to scratch up those games they show you.

ChiefFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#27 ChiefFreeman
Member since 2005 • 5667 Posts
For the most part, I agree with him. Sony has past success in this industry, even if they have big hill to climb now. Microsoft has NEVER made profit in the video game biz. Until they do, they shouldn't be taking shots at Sony.
TREAL_Since

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TREAL_Since
Member since 2005 • 11946 Posts
[QUOTE="Primevil702"]

GKinnel

I agree.

Me too. He took the words out of my mouth...or my fingers :P.

SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SambaLele
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts

:lol:

loved the answers!

why? because yes, those are arrogant answers, but you can't deny that it's all true.

coreygames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 coreygames
Member since 2005 • 5027 Posts
I think he has an injust dislike toward Microsoft. You can't complain about your competitor not on the same time cycle as your company just because your lesser system is selling better than your newer one. It is this attitude and speaking that creates Phil Harrison's of the industry.
yoshi-lnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 yoshi-lnex
Member since 2007 • 5442 Posts
What's Sony going to do in 4-6 years when Microsoft reveals it's next system with better graphics than the ps3? Graphics are the only thing that seem to attract people and developers to the system, so when that occurs, sony's done. They're already losing record amounts of money, but I guess they aren't satisfied.
nnavidson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 nnavidson
Member since 2006 • 934 Posts

Does consoles last 10 years? Yes. Check out the PS1 and soon PS2. But do they REALLY last 10 years? The answer is not just a no but a HELL no! Even if PS1 lasted 10 years and looks like PS2 will too, just how much support they recieved during those last 5 years?

StryderK

Well last year was year 6 and was awesome for PS2 owners. This is year 7 and we got GOW2, Tomb Raider Legends and just about every 3rd party Wii game out there.

nnavidson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nnavidson
Member since 2006 • 934 Posts

What's Sony going to do in 4-6 years when Microsoft reveals it's next system with better graphics than the ps3? Graphics are the only thing that seem to attract people and developers to the system, so when that occurs, sony's done. They're already losing record amounts of money, but I guess they aren't satisfied.yoshi-lnex

I think you;ve never heard of the Nintendo Wii.

If Microsoft launches a new graphically better system, I could see Sony just dropping its PS3 to the $129 range and hold off another year or two with the purpose of blowing away the new Xbox in graphics afterward.

I think with the PS3, they're learning that if they had waited another year, they would have been ok.

jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#34 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts
That was a really short interview, and they pretty much just talked about MS. That's really wierd, I mean if you have an interview with a major media publisher like gamasutra.com (for those that don't know gamasutra is a major new source for industry "insiders") you really don't want to be on the defensive ranting about your compeditors. Imagine if the Crysis team just talked about Halo 3 all the time.
dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

well my ps2 is 7years old and still works, still play it

my dreamcast is coming up on 8 years old, still works, still play it

my n64 still works, still play it.

my 3 xbox's.....don't.

tidus222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 tidus222
Member since 2004 • 1452 Posts

the man speaks the truth

just this month im going to buy guitar hero rock the 80's exclusively for ps2

and earliar this year i bought god of war 2

as for xbox i think the last game i bought was half life 2 back in 05 LOL

l-_-l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 l-_-l
Member since 2003 • 6718 Posts

I mean what would happen say in 2012 when MS or Nintendo comes out with consoles more powerful than the PS3? Will Sony be stupid and say, "Nah, we won't compete because we gotta get the PS3 through that 10 year life cycle!" Anyway, the point is, consoles last as long as developers makes games for it. If developers makes games, it will last. If they don't, then you are screwed! Now even if the PS3 is on a 10 year schedule, if at the end of 5 or 6, the avearge life span of most consoles, developers starts to concentrate on teh "Next-GEn," then the PS3 is dead no matter what and with current performance, I don't think it will even last that long!

StryderK
I think you seriously missed the point all together. Did sony wait ten years after the release of the ps1 to release the ps2? Did sony wait ten years after the release of the ps2 before they released the ps3? I mean really dude, wake up. Are you really so shallow and blind as to not look at history? Do you really think sony is going to wait ten years before they release a new console. To say the least, you totally missed the point. They will release another system in 5 years, but continue to support the ps3. Your posted FAILED!!!!!!!!!!
Yuri_Volte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Yuri_Volte
Member since 2005 • 698 Posts

actually yes i played my PSone and ps2 to exhaustation, i belive in the ten year cicle , SNES had a similiar one ,, nes too , even more so , i they stop releasing games in the next year with the humongous amount of game i haven`t played i think i can pull 1 or 2 years more :S

PD: i want my PS2 back T_T
Rosencrantz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Rosencrantz
Member since 2003 • 8148 Posts

First off, this has already been posted...just like 5 minutes ago. Take a second to scan the front page before just making another thread to up your own post count.

Second, if MS is smart they will keep their mouth shut. Sony has been taking a beating over the last year or so and now that they've gotten people's attention again, they are going to start doing what they can to cash in WHILE they can. But in a couple months, nothing will have changed and MS will still have more games and better sales.

MS saying something now would simply put them in a defensive position.

CajunShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 CajunShooter
Member since 2006 • 5276 Posts

MS shows you the games and then that's it. I'm not going to bash a company for being direct.

Puckhog04

They also abandoned their 20 million Xbox owners and forced anyone who wanted to continue playing quality MS games to upgrade their systems to a 360.

Developer and publishers know that there are 100+ million PS2s out there so there will still be some decent games coming out for the system for the next 2 to 3 years.

LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#41 LosDaddie
Member since 2006 • 10318 Posts

Sony likes to talk about 10yr console cycles, but they release new consoles every 6yrs.

"but....but....bu...but TEH DECADE LiFECYCLE....."

Rosencrantz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Rosencrantz
Member since 2003 • 8148 Posts

Sony likes to talk about 10yr console cycles, but they release new consoles every 6yrs.

LosDaddie

And then they support the olderconsole with games for 2+ years after that. Unlike MS who releases a new console every 4 years and then completely kills support to force people to buy their new console. Oh, and how's that backwards compatibility support coming along?

LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#44 LosDaddie
Member since 2006 • 10318 Posts
[QUOTE="LosDaddie"]

Rosencrantz

And then they support the olderconsole with games for 2+ years after that. Unlike MS who releases a new console every 4 years and then completely kills support to force people to buy their new console. Oh, and how's that backwards compatibility support coming along?

You again? :lol: :lol: You've got to be my favorite cow!:)

Yeah, 2+ extra years of support. :roll: GOWII is the last PS2 game I'll buy. I'm fully into the next gen.

oh and BC is coming along nicely. New BC update released. However, BC is a non-issue for me. Halo2 is the only Xbox game I've played on my x360 and GOWII is the only game I've played on my PS3.

I don't care about BC.

no_submission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 no_submission
Member since 2007 • 961 Posts

I think M$ should try to make the 360 last as long as the PS3, I don't know about you guys but I don't feel like dropping $400+ on a new system anytime soon.

The 360 can last 10 years too.

phantas777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 phantas777
Member since 2005 • 439 Posts
i'm certainly not going to deny how good of a system the ps2 was for most people.  i bought mine a year after launch and it ran perfectly all this time.  a great deal of people had problems with them, but it still was a system so many of us owned and clearly the most successful of all.

the ps3 lasting 10 years?  ROFLMAO.

i'm sorry, but the guy lost me when he started talking blu-ray.  sony fans, don't get me wrong - blu-ray is great, but it's not going to benefit the ps3 in the way you think.  you can store more information on them, no doubt - but right now all that means is uncompressed data.  dvd is still a perfect size for games - see oblivion, see mass effect, see crysis.  and the last one is the key to me.  crysis is a game that is already outperforming what you see on the ps3 and 360, and in the ps3's case - it's coming out less than 1 year after the systems launch.  if the ps3 was meant to be the system of tomorrow, i would expect a blu-ray drive but i'd also anticipate a graphics card that wasn't old by the time the system came around.  what we got instead was a system that was right on par of the 360, with a blu-ray player.  

again i'm not going to knock the ps2, but those of you who are living in the past age of systems really need to start realizing things don't always repeat themselves.  sony certainly isn't displaying dominance this time around and they certainly didn't build a 10 year lasting machine.  they can go ahead and say whatever they want right now, but they're currently in dead last 3rd and it will take a couple years before they can actually catch up with the competition.

if this were the NBA, sony would be the lakers - full of themselves from their old accomplishments when they had shaq and now they're just dwindling at the bottom, talking trash while they're really just waiting for something to go their way.  nintendo would the spurs, you're not exactly sure when their time will come but don't forget this group has been around longer than anyone else and can still make the run and be champs one season when they weren't close the year before.  microsoft would be the cavs, they're on their way and they look destined for greatness but are still just missing a few key elements and need to make some adjustments before fully accomplishing it.  sorry for the sports analogy, but i found it somewhat appropriate.
3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 3picuri3
Member since 2006 • 9618 Posts

hahaha.

10 year cycle.

MS is already working on the next xbox. it'll come out and beat the PS3 to death when it's in it's 5th year and FINALLY seeing some decent games, and maybe caught up to the 360 or Wii.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#48 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts
It can be 30 years, I dont care. I'll always want the newest hardware, thats not going to change.
3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 3picuri3
Member since 2006 • 9618 Posts

I think M$ should try to make the 360 last as long as the PS3, I don't know about you guys but I don't feel like dropping $400+ on a new system anytime soon.

The 360 can last 10 years too.

no_submission

if i have to wait 10 years for the next gen i think i'll be done with console gaming. technology moves way too quick these days, personally i'd like to have a new xbox next year, or the year after at the latest.

anklebreakr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 anklebreakr
[QUOTE="anklebreakr"]

PS2 has lasted 7 years and they're still making software for them, so 10 years is very possible. skullkrusher13

1. Yes, why haven't you heard from J Allard for awhile? He said (forgot where)yes, they are working on a next gen xbox already.

2. ps2 was by far and away the winner of last gen, you think it has 3 years left? I doubt it, and even if it does, how is that relevant to the ps3, which is behind, and won't be the winner this gen unless they drop their price to $300 tommorrow.

1. Trust me, all 3 companies are working on next gen, not just MS.

2. The PS2 is the #2 selling console, so there are a lot of people that still haven't played single PS2 game. Also, don't forget that there are a lot of games in Asia and Europe that never make it here to the U.S. Like I said 3 years is very possible.