Sony defends LBP's sales,campaign to roll out starting Decemeber.

• 86 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gun-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Gun-Unit
Member since 2003 • 9866 Posts

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=308728

Sony believes that LBP is going to sell by word of mouth.

spinecaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 spinecaton
Member since 2003 • 8986 Posts

In other words...

Sony "Here's to hoping!"

MarloStanfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 MarloStanfield
Member since 2008 • 2409 Posts

Sony also believes that the PS3 is a success

neither of these things is true

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#4 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts
It'd be nice if sales were to pick up during the holiday season. Here's to hoping.
Gun-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Gun-Unit

MarloStanfield

How isn't it?PS3 sales are ahead of PSOne and alittle under PS2's sales at this point into the gen.

NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NinjaMunkey01
Member since 2007 • 7485 Posts

Word and mouth is not enough sony.

Its good they are doing an ad campaign, but c'mon its pretty late, many people have bought the christmas presents!!!!

LBP is brilliant though and its the sort of game that should keep on selling fpr a long time as levels get better.

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts
i thought PS3 sales were on pace with gamecube sales rate. so thats pretty massive failure right there.
Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lionheart08

i thought PS3 sales were on pace with gamecube sales rate. so thats pretty massive failure right there.Fizzman

I'm pretty sure it'll sell alot more than 20 million units before the end of the gen though. :P

W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

Gun-Unit

That's EXACTLY what I said about LBP before it was released....it's just one of those games that will sell by word of mouth. It's a new IP, pretty new concept to console gamers, and I think LBP will gradually become a huge hit by people expressing how awesome the game really is.

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Fizzman

[QUOTE="Fizzman"]i thought PS3 sales were on pace with gamecube sales rate. so thats pretty massive failure right there.Lionheart08

I'm pretty sure it'll sell alot more than 20 million units before the end of the gen though. :P

ohh no doubt in that, but if it only manages to sell 25-30million units thats a massive decline from PSX-PS2 market share, and then when the new consoles come out it wont have the luxury of people buying the PS4 just because the Playstation name.

DonPerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DonPerian
Member since 2005 • 3773 Posts
I really need to get back to playing this game. It got quickly overshadowed by a lot of other titles out there. Thanksgiving is going to be pure gaming for me. =)
Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts
my nephew saw that I bought it and asked is it good? and the only thing I could say was "it's cute"
John_McFail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 John_McFail
Member since 2008 • 121 Posts
Hope they advertise it. Yaaaaaaaay
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts
[QUOTE="MarloStanfield"]

Gun-Unit

How isn't it?PS3 sales are ahead of PSOne and alittle under PS2's sales at this point into the gen.

You realize the market has expanded greatly each and every generation right? 

yoyo462001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 yoyo462001
Member since 2005 • 7535 Posts
If you think word of mouth will sell you 4+million copies then you are delusional, this statement is pretty desperate from sony, how many other games which scored so high, new ip, have sold bad..where was word of mouth. im not hating on Sony but they cannot honestly think that.
NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 NinjaMunkey01
[QUOTE="Gun-Unit"]

W1NGMAN-

That's EXACTLY what I said about LBP before it was released....it's just one of those games that will sell by word of mouth. It's a new IP, pretty new concept to console gamers, and I think LBP will gradually become a huge hit by people expressing how awesome the game really is.

This game really is for console players, many PC gamers I know say LBP is a glorified platformer, I personally heavily disagree, but then they have been playing games like this for years and years.

Sony just has to do more ads, and change thwe one for LBP they have at the moment it sucks.

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts

They need to advertise it and what it is exactly the game is about. In all seroiusness my friends are afraid of the sackboy in that Christmas commerical. Yes they are girls but it is freaking creepy with those big eyes and its tongue hanging out shaking his head.

If more people actually knew what the game did then maybe it would sell more. I mean all you see is a things hopping around and explanations about fun. Show off the level maker ect.

Gears of War 2 probably has the best commerical I've seen in a while. When I first saw that it was like wow I want that game and when anyone else sees it, that music just gets to to them I don't know.

Fallout 3 gets the job done as well. Guy in armor, desolate world, and comments on War lol. I mean while I don't like the Fallout Commerical from an adversisting point it gets the job done. 

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lionheart08
[QUOTE="Lionheart08"]

[QUOTE="Fizzman"]i thought PS3 sales were on pace with gamecube sales rate. so thats pretty massive failure right there.Fizzman

ohh no doubt in that, but if it only manages to sell 25-30million units thats a massive decline from PSX-PS2 market share, and then when the new consoles come out it wont have the luxury of people buying the PS4 just because the Playstation name.

Personally, I think Sony should go back to basics with their next hand held. There focus on multimedia, while having it's benefits, ended being a hinderance as well for both the PS3 and PSP.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lionheart08

They need to advertise it and what it is exactly the game is about. In all seroiusness my friends are afraid of the sackboy in that Christmas commerical. Yes they are girls but it is freaking creepy with those big eyes and its tongue hanging out shaking his head

Blackbond

Seriously? I figured girls would think Sackboy was cute. :lol:

Gun-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Gun-Unit
[QUOTE="Gun-Unit"][QUOTE="MarloStanfield"]

Blackbond

You realize the market has expanded greatly each and every generation right?

I know the market is huge compared to last gen which is why people think PS3 sales are bad which isn't true at all,its overlooked as being bad because other consoles are selling well.Its not like last gen when PS2 would be the highest selling console on north american sales with about 280k and GC and Xbox always selling under 200k.

Czenkus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 Czenkus
Member since 2003 • 667 Posts
I already traded my copy in and the gamestop guy was like "oh my, Another one already" So I'm guessing I'm not in that small of a minority, I do not think word of mouth is the way to go to handle the weak sales.
Heydanbud92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Heydanbud92
Member since 2007 • 4464 Posts

SONY LBP marketing strategy:

release game

hope word-of-mouth advertises for us

?????

profit.

NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NinjaMunkey01
[QUOTE="Gun-Unit"]

MarloStanfield

Well

• It has lost Sony all of the profit they made from the PS2 and PSP
  • SCE continues to lose money on the PS3
  • It is the most expensive console and there is no chance of a price cut in the near future due to high manufacturing costs
  • Poor software sales
  • It's tracking behind the gamecube in Japan
  • It's in last place and will remain there for the forseeable future
  • Third party support has dropped off the map
  • Highest development costs
  • Still getting the worst of multiplatform releases

But hey if it's performing slightly better than the Sonys first home consolle 15 years ago then I guess everything's fine

The price will come down sooner than we all think.

On GS they reported that PSN has as many users as XBL. So they are making lots of money from people downloading stuff, plus deve3lopment costs are coming down on the console.

MarloStanfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MarloStanfield

I know the market is huge compared to last gen which is why people think PS3 sales are bad which isn't true at all,its overlooked as being bad because other consoles are selling well.Its not like last gen when PS2 would be the highest selling console on north american sales with about 280k and GC and Xbox always selling under 200k.

Gun-Unit

That's the thing, the PS3 does not exist in a vacuum and it's completely different from the PS1 or  PS2.

The PS1 and Ps2 took of when it reached a mass market price which wont happen for a looooooooooong time with the PS3 . The PS1 had no decent competition. Support for the PS1 improved as time went on. The PS1 was Sony's first foray into the home console market when they were trying to establish themselves. PS1 and PS2 software sold well. The PS1 and PS2 were on top from day one. 

Gun-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Gun-Unit
[QUOTE="Gun-Unit"]

MarloStanfield

Well

• It is the most expensive console and there is no chance of a price cut in the near future due to high manufacturing costs
  • Poor software sales

But hey if it's performing slightly better than the Sonys first home consolle 15 years ago then I guess everything's fine

You also forget that Sony lost 1 billion on PS2 before starting to make money,which didn't start making money to about this time into the gen which PS3 is starting to now.With inflation 1 billion in 2002 is worth alot today then it does today.Software sales of PS3 is 5 to 1 which is about the same of Ps2 if not more.Ps2 didn't get a high ratio of about 7 to 1 to 8 to 1 till late in the gen.5 to 1 ratio is actually pretty good.Japans lack of sales are made up with stronger PS sales in Europe.Sony is having stronger sales in Europe with Ps3 then Ps2 had.

KinderChimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KinderChimp
Member since 2008 • 238 Posts

If LBP goes without a campaign then most people will think it is a childs game. I've seen many 'casuals' call it a kids game and that they'd rather prefer COD on Ps3. Word of mouth ain't gonna do anything for you Sony. Just get your arse off the couch and start advertising.

MarloStanfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MarloStanfield

NinjaMunkey01

Contrary to Sony's own statements and in spite of them haemorrhaging money on the system? I doubt it

On GS they reported that PSN has as many users as XBL. So they are making lots of money from people downloading stuff, plus deve3lopment costs are coming down on the console.

NinjaMunkey01

That's because live is a rip designed to trick uninformed 360 owners and a lot of people have 2-3 PSN accounts (I do)

johnnyblazed88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 johnnyblazed88
Member since 2008 • 4240 Posts
if the sony gotta make a statement defending its sales you know its a big flop
dr_jashugan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 dr_jashugan
Member since 2006 • 2665 Posts
[QUOTE="MarloStanfield"][QUOTE="Gun-Unit"]

NinjaMunkey01

Well

• Poor software sales

Sony have already stated that they are NOT going to cut the PS3 price.
At least not for this Christmas. :|
DavidooThe3rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DavidooThe3rd
Member since 2004 • 396 Posts

i thought PS3 sales were on pace with gamecube sales rate. so thats pretty massive failure right there.Fizzman

Oh damn so then where does that put the 360? Seeing as right now the Ps3 is outselling it..

Gun-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Gun-Unit
[QUOTE="Gun-Unit"]

MarloStanfield

That's the thing, the PS3 does not exist in a vacuum and it's completely different from the PS1 or PS2.

The PS1 and Ps2 took of when it reached a mass market price which wont happen for a looooooooooong time with the PS3 . The PS1 had no decent competition. Support for the PS1 improved as time went on. The PS1 was Sony's first foray into the home console market when they were trying to establish themselves. PS1 and PS2 software sold well. The PS1 and PS2 were on top from day one.

Thats a stupid arguement PS1 had to put up with N64 and saturn and they came off of very strong sales of mastersystem and snes.To think they were not competition you gotta be in a different world.PS1 won because of mistakes made by there competition,like saturn being overpriced and N64 losing 3rd party because of not going to disc based.PS3 is selling very well and surprising for its price,every other console that was overpriced failed.It don't matter how long it takes Ps3 to hit mass market price,when it does it'll probabley have the same affect that Ps2 had when it hit mass market sale point.If it doesn't,it doesn't but my point is that it isn't selling as bad as people think it is and i been around a long time and seen sale numbers for years now.

Citan_Uzuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Citan_Uzuki
Member since 2002 • 1865 Posts

If anybody expected LBP to come out the gates to huge sales they were being naieve. LBP on its surface is a game casuals will reject based on its look, although many would probably enjoy the game if they gave it a chance. It may be a bit of damage control but I think Sony is accurate when they say LBP will sell on word of mouth and it wll be a failure/hit based on how many people can be exposed to it. Not everyone is up on the various reviews and praise game's get like us sw regulars so most people judging a game solely on its appearance will probably be turned off by its strange kid-friendly graphics as well as the basically 2d sidescrolling in a 3d environment. Unless you can sit people down and make them play the game an advertising blitz would have very little help on its overall sales(although thy should be at least promoting its high ratings, people are suckers for critical acclaim)

Honestly you cannot "get" what LBP is doing in a commercial really its a game you have to play or at least be highly recommended to give it a shot if you have never heard of it before. I feel it will get very good sales but unfortunaltely its not the type of game that is a instant hit because of its uniqueness, and genre not to mention being a new ip. I will say it will probably sell between 2.5 and 3 million from its launch to the end of christmas next year which is good sales (not halo, geow, mgs status) but enough for sony to justify the purchase of media molecule make some money and hopefully give the company a chance to make a sequel or similar creation oriented game or at least keep pumping out content to prolong the sales of the original.

MarloStanfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MarloStanfield

Thats a stupid arguement PS1 had to put up with N64 and saturn and they came off of very strong sales of mastersystem and snes.

Gun-Unit

You're comparing the N64 and the Saturn to what the PS3 is facing? :roll:

The N64 and Saturn weren't outselling the PS1. The N64 and Saturn weren't stealing all the PS1's big third party exclusives

Say your magical fantasy comes true. Say that the PS3 comes down to a mass market price soon despite the fact SCE is losing a ton of money and Sony said it isn't happening. Say third parties desice to make a ton of PS3 exclusive games despite the fact they are prohibitively expensive to make and wont sell much.

There's still the fact that the Wii exists which as a far more popular system than the PS3 with far more mindshare. So does the 360, a more competitively priced system with the same power, a higher rated games and a 5 million lead

The PS3 is still going to continue to languish in third place

naruto7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 naruto7777
Member since 2007 • 8059 Posts
no i think it wont sell
IIJuggaNottII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 IIJuggaNottII
Member since 2008 • 1907 Posts
To say that LBP isnt selling because its "Casual" doesnt seem right. What about Wii Fit and the rest of the Wii games. They tend to sell and are casual too. They messed up period. I was wondering why sony fanboys were going off about the game before it was released. Sony almost won....they had everyone hyped over a kids game. For it to sell what it did on the PS3 is still remarkable. lol.
yoyo462001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 yoyo462001
Member since 2005 • 7535 Posts
if your releasing a casual game on an expensive system, dont you think they exist in two different markets. we all know that if it was on the wii it would of sold tones more and not just because of user-base but because wii is inexpensive system casual console which is what the ps3 is not.
Gun-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Gun-Unit

You're comparing the N64 and the Saturn to what the PS3 is facing? :roll:

The N64 and Saturn weren't outselling the PS1. The N64 and Saturn weren't stealing all the PS1's big third party exclusives

Say your magical fantasy comes true. Say that the PS3 comes down to a mass market price soon despite the fact SCE is losing a ton of money and Sony said it isn't happening. Say third parties desice to make a ton of PS3 exclusive games despite the fact they are prohibitively expensive to make and wont sell much.

There's still the fact that the Wii exists which as a far more popular system than the PS3 with far more mindshare. So does the 360, a more competitively priced system with the same power, a higher rated games and a 5 million lead

The PS3 is still going to continue to languish in third place

MarloStanfield

Saturn and N64 did outsell PsOne at first and PSOne made a huge come back,saying they weren't competition is stupid.No,Wii and Xbox360 isn't stealing PS3's exclusives,this day and age is different and gone are the 3rd party exclusives with exception of few.It's not like PS3 stole Bioshock,Oblivion or even Saint Row 2,there still there on Xbox360.Difference between systems now days is 1st/2nd party games.However N64 lost 3rd party support,as it went PS exclusive which is a huge lose,while PS3 still gets 3rd party support.You really can't compare Wii to PS3 and Xbox36,it lacks good games but is only selling for one reason and one reason only,its different,brings new motion controls and ways to play games,sadly barely any games take advantage of it.

I beleive Ps3 might take off like Ps2 at mass market price because last price drop has proven to boost PS3's sales year over year for a long time now while so far Xbox360 price cuts have only lasted short periods of time,we will not know how well this price cut fairs for Xbox360 till after christmas or what not.But anyways this is my last time argueing because this is off topic and shouldn't even be in this topic.

mhsdrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mhsdrake
Member since 2007 • 3091 Posts
Great article! I was saying this even before LBP's lauch- the game will take a while to sell well:

- Firstly because its a new franchise, any new franchise relies on a bit of word of mouth over time
- Secondly because it is critically acclaimed and has a very wide audience appeal
- Thirdly because of this campaign Sony is having in December to spread the game's identity.

In the long run this game will sell very well.
Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Fizzman

[QUOTE="Fizzman"]i thought PS3 sales were on pace with gamecube sales rate. so thats pretty massive failure right there.DavidooThe3rd

Oh damn so then where does that put the 360? Seeing as right now the Ps3 is outselling it..

yeah thats true so the PS3 will outsell the 360 in terms of worldwide sales by 2030. victory for sony.

twopistols3k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 twopistols3k
Member since 2008 • 51 Posts

MarloStanfield

Have fun playing with your little Wii fanboy.

MarloStanfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MarloStanfield

Saturn and N64 did outsell PsOne

Gun-Unit

:| no they didn't. The Saturn sold at similar levels to the PS1 before the Ps1 took off.  The N64 never came close because it came out much later

Your initial argument was thhat Ps3 was successful. I pointed out that SCE have so far lost all their PS2/PSP profits (whcih they wont make back with PS3).They continue to lose money.They have the most expensive console which by their own accounts wont be comingdown in priceany time soon. They have the worst software sales. They have the highest dev costs and most difficult architecture to workwith. Third party exclusive support has dropped off the map and it's in last place and will remain there for the forseeable future

so no it is not a success and no none of your hypothetical (and highly unlikely) future scenarios make it a success

I beleive Ps3 might take off like Ps2

Gun-Unit

you believe wrong

Gun-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Gun-Unit
[QUOTE="Gun-Unit"]

Saturn and N64 did outsell PsOne

MarloStanfield

:| no they didn't. The Saturn sold at similar levels to the PS1 before the Ps1 took off. The N64 never came close because it came out much later

Your initial argument was thhat Ps3 was successful. I pointed out that SCE have so far lost all their PS2/PSP profits (whcih they wont make back with PS3).They continue to lose money.They have the most expensive console which by their own accounts wont be comingdown in priceany time soon. They have the worst software sales. They have the highest dev costs and most difficult architecture to workwith. Third party exclusive support has dropped off the map and it's in last place and will remain there for the forseeable future

so no it is not a success and no none of your hypothetical (and highly unlikely) future scenarios make it a success

I beleive Ps3 might take off like Ps2

Gun-Unit

you believe wrong

No Saturn had outsold Psone for abit fell off then started getting outsold by Playstation by a large amount,PSOne wasn't popular at all and took awhile to take off and Nintendo had good launch numbers and good consisant sales for the first bit of the gen,still you trying to argue that PSOne had no competition is completely untrue.When PSOne was first announced people treat it exactly like the first xbox putting it down saying stuff like it'll never be successful.Why isn't PS3 successful its on the same pace both software and hardware wise as Ps2 and PSOne,like i said at this time and point PS2 was still losing money.Your too much of a blind fanboy to understand that the market is much larger and because PS3 doesn't have the sales of Wii that its not successful is completely false.Saying PS3 isn't successful is like saying PS2 wasn't because of the fanbase and not making money at this point in the gen also.

ExtremeOne316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ExtremeOne316
Member since 2008 • 742 Posts

Sony is a complete joke during this gen .  

Avatar image for blazinpuertoroc
blazinpuertoroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 blazinpuertoroc
Member since 2004 • 12245 Posts
the game isnt selling bad :|
imapieceofwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 imapieceofwood
Member since 2006 • 1855 Posts

Hope they advertise it. YaaaaaaaayJohn_McFail

they are already started advertizing lbp. i saw several commercials already for lbp

MarloStanfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 MarloStanfield

No Saturn had outsold Psone for abit fell off then started getting outsold by Playstation by a large amount,

Gun-Unit

No if you'll check the Japanese figures you'll see that the PS1 and Saturn sold around the same level with each having a lead at different times, until the point at which the PS1 took off.  Which Is exactly what I said. In North America the PS1 dominated the saturn from day one and in Europe it wasnt ever close

I also said that the PS1 didnt have the competition of the PS3, which is also true. the PS1 never fell 5+ million behind any of its competitors

so basically everything I said was right and everything you said was wrong.

Your too much of a blind fanboy to understand that the market is much larger and because PS3 doesn't have the sales of Wii that its not successful is completely false.Saying PS3 isn't successful is like saying PS2 wasn't because of the fanbase and not making money at this point in the gen also.

Gun-Unit

Wait, I'm the fanboy?

You're the one who's stupid assed claims about the future of a plastic box in a vain attempt at damage control. There's only one fanboy here and it sure as hell isn't me

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 dreman999
Member since 2004 • 11514 Posts
[QUOTE="MarloStanfield"][QUOTE="Gun-Unit"]

Gun-Unit

Well

• Poor software sales

You also forget that Sony lost 1 billion on PS2 before starting to make money,which didn't start making money to about this time into the gen which PS3 is starting to now.With inflation 1 billion in 2002 is worth alot today then it does today.Software sales of PS3 is 5 to 1 which is about the same of Ps2 if not more.Ps2 didn't get a high ratio of about 7 to 1 to 8 to 1 till late in the gen.5 to 1 ratio is actually pretty good.Japans lack of sales are made up with stronger PS sales in Europe.Sony is having stronger sales in Europe with Ps3 then Ps2 had.

You forgot that the ps2 was by it self for a full year with the most game with a rival with an unknown system like the xbox and a system branded with the name "kiddy" that delay sales.

So last gen was way different than this gen. The samething can't happen.