SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45108 Posts

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/sony-could-introduce-psn-account-linking-for-pc-games-and-rewards-files-suggest/

Evidence has been discovered that Sony could be planning to introduce PlayStation Network integration to its PC games.

Since its release on PC last week, fans have been digging through the game files of PlayStation’s latest port, Marvel’s Spider-Man, and discovered references to PlayStation Network integration within its code.

According to the game files – which have been viewed by VGC – Sony could be planning to allow PC players to link their PlayStation Network accounts to specific games and offer in-game bonuses as a reward for doing so.

While neither Marvel’s Spider-Man nor any other PlayStation Studios PC game currently allows connectivity with PSN accounts, Spider-Man’s files contain multiple references to “PSNAccountLinked” and “PSNLinkingEntitlements”.

Furthermore, references in Spider-Man’s files to “LevelCapExtras” in relation to “PSN Linking bonuses” appears to suggest that developer Insomniac was either experimenting or planning to give players extra skill points for linking their accounts.

Before this discovery, PlayStation launched a new section on its site specifically about PlayStation Games for PC last week.

One of the questions within the site’s FAQ asked if a PSN account was needed to play PlayStation games on PC, with Sony responding: “No, you currently do not need a PSN account to enjoy PlayStation Studios games on PC.”

These recent findings could indicate that PlayStation Network Integration could indeed arrive in the future, but as an optional feature for players who choose to integrate with the service.

While PlayStation Studios games on PC – such as God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Days Gone and Spider-Man Remastered – can be played without the need to sign up for a PSN account, this isn’t necessarily the case with Xbox Game Studios titles, which requires an Xbox Live account for some games on Steam.

While some titles (such as Minecraft Dungeons, Ori and the Will of the Wispsand Psychonauts 2) don’t need players to create an Xbox Live account, other notable Xbox Game Studios titles do.

Thoughts, SW? Do you think it'll happen? Would be cool if you own the game on PS5, have a copy on PC as well.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2251 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: yeah more launchers…. And probably zero chance of Uber greedy Sony allowing a game bought on ps5 to be played for free on pc😂😂

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3  Edited By iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

Let me know when they allow me to play the PC version by buying the PS4/PS5 version. This is what I want to happen. I know it won't, but MS has spoiled me with their play anywhere initiative. Having both versions would be amazingly pro-consumer.

I think Sony views PC as extra money not losing money to port and give away free. Unfortunately.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11090 Posts

Sony might as well put PSN on PC. Pull the trigger, Jimbo. Do it!

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@djoffer123 said:

@SolidGame_basic: yeah more launchers…. And probably zero chance of Uber greedy Sony allowing a game bought on ps5 to be played for free on pc😂😂

It's not a launcher. Just account linking like those Microsoft games on Steam.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Antwan3K  Online
Member since 2005 • 8061 Posts

linking PSN accounts to Steam games would be a smart move by Sony.. Microsoft already does it and it helps to increase their monthly-active-users..

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

"PlayStation games will never go to pc"

Every cow 🤣🤣🤣

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12954 Posts
@simple-facts said:

"PlayStation games will never go to pc"

Every cow 🤣🤣🤣

Reminds me of when Insomniac was asked if SpiderMan was coming to PC

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

If it bridges entitlements and achievements and gameplay progress, great. If you still have to buy the PC version and it just helps transfer game save progress between games, it's an effing joke.

Things I imagine need ironing out, because Sony has evaded any kind of Smart Delivery like feature and instead opted for more expensive versions of 9th gen games and upgrade fees, how well will it bridge entitlements on PC if that is what they are going for? If you digitally own Spider-Man on PS4 but not PS5 will entitlements not bridge to Steam; those kind of considerations. This whole treating 8th/9th gen versions as different games without automatic upgrade to entitlements or any progression cross over, abandoning that for something like Smart Delivery would go a long way to help make a more cohesive ecosystem to bridge the consoles-PC experience.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

In order for me to take the PS platform serious, Sony needs:

• PSN app or whatever the heck for PC. Yes, a new launcher. Something to facilitate my following requirements. Ideally not super broken. I'd love to see it integrated directly into Steam or something, but I think that's asking for a bit too much cooperation between companies than is reasonable.
  • Cross-buy for all first-party and cross-platform games.
  • Cross-save for all games (don't leave it up to the dev! If the save file is the same between different platforms, it should just work)
  • No timed exclusivity bullshit
PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8471 Posts

Why would it needs PSN when they have no MP games? Either way, more bad news for cows.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lamprey263

Destin reported months back that Steam would be willing to allow Microsoft to bridge Game Pass onto the service. Currently revenue sharing is likely going to hold it up, but they might be in negotiations over it.

Could be Valve is working something on their end with Sony too. If it doesn't just bridge entitlements but also makes the subscription service available on PC as well, that could be a major jump in Sony expanding the ecosystem for their subscription service.

Though MS might always decline to reach agreement with Valve, if Sony strikes a deal, I think that would pressure MS too as well, as long as a Sony Valve deal doesn't mandate Xbox support not be allowed.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#14 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

Damn! Sony is going full out on PC support. This is a megalithic blow to Sony fannies. After all, exclusives were SOLE reason to own a PS5.🤣

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9547 Posts

It's almost inevitable at this point that playstation will be fully on PC in the coming years. As I've said several times in the past just make crossplay the norm, but put the same devices in the same matchmaking. Mouse with mouse, controller with controller.. problem solved.

mazuiface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mazuiface
Member since 2016 • 1604 Posts

They should absolutely do this.
And while they are at it, bring Gran Turismo 7 to PC and make it cross play compatible.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

@Pedro said:

Damn! Sony is going full out on PC support. This is a megalithic blow to Sony fannies. After all, exclusives were SOLE reason to own a PS5.🤣

It's amazing that cows are pretending not to care that the only things they have left are sales... And timed exclusives. The PS5 is a console of pure hype.

I could never imagine hyping the fact that a game is timed exclusive... It's just so pathetic. :-(

PCLover1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PCLover1980
Member since 2022 • 1244 Posts

Nice, more reason not to get the PS5 for me.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58306 Posts

They're just doing it because a.) everyone has their own launcher/app these days, and b.) they probably don't see Steam as a long-term viable solution.

Of course they're going to make the same mistake Tencent-Epic did and withhold games from Steam and their sales will suffer, but they won't admit that's the reason they'll just cite a study saying "Gamers are fickle fucks and it's not our fault sales are down"

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12304 Posts

@pc_rocks: Because they're planning on releasing 12 live service games by FY 2025. Some, if not all, of them will be released on PC.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8219 Posts

Copying MS to a T.

Obvious who caught on first. Winning strategy.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lamprey263

@sargentd: MS still hasn't brokered a deal to get Game Pass bridged to the Steam service, something Sony could potentially beat MS too first possibly, and if they do hopefully they don't make a deal that would prohibit Game Pass bridging to go to Steam.

I think there's still plenty of people of room for Game Pass to grow on PC if it can bridge support to Steam functionality, being as lots of people have an aversion to using the Windows Store in any capacity, like it's a red line they won't cross.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Antwan3K  Online
Member since 2005 • 8061 Posts
@lamprey263 said:

@sargentd: MS still hasn't brokered a deal to get Game Pass bridged to the Steam service, something Sony could potentially beat MS too first possibly, and if they do hopefully they don't make a deal that would prohibit Game Pass bridging to go to Steam.

I think there's still plenty of people of room for Game Pass to grow on PC if it can bridge support to Steam functionality, being as lots of people have an aversion to using the Windows Store in any capacity, like it's a red line they won't cross.

a Game Pass option with Steam does make some sense.. but, in my opinion, the folks who simply won't use any launcher other than Steam can just keep buying Xbox Game Studios titles on Steam for full price.. 🤷🏽‍♂️

I don't think Sony will be doing a deal to get PS Now/+ on Steam anytime soon since, like Microsoft, they'll likely try to use that to push people toward their own PlayStation PC launcher..

but in the end, the all-mighty Steam will likely consume all in the long-term..

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

@x_hedon:

Nobody trolls cows like Sony🤣

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

Makes a lot of sense, especially if you can link PSN to something like Steam.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17426 Posts

Yea, Sony's not giving away anything for free.

It makes sense to link to PSN to increase active users but I can't imagine Sony ever enabling cross buy even if they have their own launcher.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8219 Posts

@lamprey263: game pass doesn't need to be abridged to steam imo. I use it on PC and have no need to have it connected to my steam account.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lamprey263

@sargentd: you're just being too practical in this regard, some people just don't want to be as practical

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

I hate when games on Steam require additional accounts/launchers but hey nothing's stopping Sony.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

That seems awesome, till PC players destroy PS5 gamers in FPS's..lol