Sony building a new 1st party team, Collaborating with 1st party studio on unannounced game

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BIack_Goku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BIack_Goku
Member since 2016 • 724 Posts

Credit goes to ResetEra

https://www.resetera.com/threads/job-listings-sie-building-a-new-development-team-to-collaborate-with-vasg-a-major-sony-studio.35672/

Job listings indicate that Sony Interactive Entertainment is building a new team in San Diego to make a game in collaboration with Visual Arts Serice Group (Sony's motion capture and animation group housed on the same place as SIE San Diego) and a ''major Sony studio''. The way they worded the listing its probably for a 3rd person, Action/Adventure game

https://boards.greenhouse.io/sonyinteractiveentertainmentplaystation/jobs/1072774#.Ws-mhJch0aF

It's nice to see that Sony is expanding their 1st party studios to be able to pump out more exclusives, I know another company that could really benefit from doing this.

This will most likely be a PS5 game. Do you expect it to be an existing IP or a new IP? What do you hope for this game to be?

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Oh wow, my poor wallet, calm down Sony!

Sounds like a new IP? I'm hoping it's not open world, because market needs to be balanced out a bit.

Avatar image for GiveMeSomething
GiveMeSomething

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 GiveMeSomething
Member since 2007 • 1323 Posts

well honestly I dont blame Sony, they were (or are?) near bankrupcy, and PS4 is the only thing saving them. Makes sense to keep investing.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

Seems like they're just re-purposing something from one of their movie studio assets and use it to make games, makes sense, they are known for their "movie games" and motion capture will go well to make games with high production values in character animation and such. Not like they've had huge success these last few years with their motion pictures so re-purposing this for their games makes... well, so much sense.

At some point, it's not going to be Microsoft that should be scared of Sony but third parties. I remember last gen after the original Uncharted released how people looked down on third party games that could barely keep up. That's why games started costing more to make, they had to compete. Wonder if we'll have another spending war on our hands among developers and publishers.

BIack_Goku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BIack_Goku

@lamprey263 said:

Seems like they're just re-purposing something from one of their movie studio assets and use it to make games, makes sense, they are known for their "movie games" and motion capture will go well to make games with high production values in character animation and such. Not like they've had huge success these last few years with their motion pictures so re-purposing this for their games makes... well, so much sense.

This doesn't have anything to do with their movie studio assets. VASG is just where they do motion capture for a lot of their games, including Uncharted 4, Death Stranding, and God of War. It just tells us the game will have motion capture (like most of Sony's 1st party games) and will most likely be 3rd person given the job description.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts
@GiveMeSomething said:

well honestly I dont blame Sony, they were (or are?) near bankrupcy, and PS4 is the only thing saving them. Makes sense to keep investing.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/28/sony-earnings-fy-17.html

Sony expects 73.2 percent annual profit jump near a level it hasn't seen since 1998

Might I suggest picking up a new hobby? Like, talking about shit you know about.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Seeing Naughty Dog I can't help but hope to see Uncharted continue as it's my favorite series.

That said, I know that Naughty Dog is talented enough to come up with something new and have it be awesome. Assuming this is an addition to the Naughty Dog studio in some way.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@Telekill said:

Seeing Naughty Dog I can't help but hope to see Uncharted continue as it's my favorite series.

That said, I know that Naughty Dog is talented enough to come up with something new and have it be awesome. Assuming this is an addition to the Naughty Dog studio in some way.

I am rather looking forward to seeing the space game, finally. I guess TLOU2 will need to hit first before they talk about the new stuff.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Telekill

@Shewgenja: Huh? What space game?

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

@Telekill said:

Naughty Dog talk about Space game before.. I hope they actually work on it!

BIack_Goku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BIack_Goku

@ni6htmare01 said:
@Telekill said:

Naughty Dog talk about Space game before.. I hope they actually work on it!

Yup, before the announcement of The Last of Us Part 2 Neil Druckmann said one of the concepts they have is for a sci-fi game. There's also the Savage Starlight comic in The Last of Us and we know about Naughty Dog employees visiting SpaceX as well. This should be their first game for PS5.

As for @Telekill's other question, this new team they're building is based in San Diego so it's most likely an expansion of Sony San Diego (the MLB team) into a full AAA studio besides making MLB The Show games. They're also working with another Sony 1st party studio on their new game and it's a good chance it's Naughty Dog so it could turn out to be Uncharted.

If it it Uncharted I hope they take it in a new direction. Have us play as Sully with more focus on challenging puzzles and exploration, combat can mostly stay the same since it was pretty good in 4. I also want to see a return of supernatural elements, even more inspired by Indiana Jones than it already is.

But I'd rather have either a new IP or a revival of Syphon Filter or Jak and Daxter.

Lilseb93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Lilseb93
Member since 2015 • 392 Posts

Sounds cool. I wonder what it will be.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Telekill

@biack_goku: I'm intrigued by the space game idea coming from Naughty Dog.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@Telekill: Naughty Dog is in Santa Monica though not San Diego

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

Sony just keeps on embarrassing Microsoft with their 1st party investments it’s incredible. MS this e3 will say they don’t wanna announce anything too soon, so expect another 2-3 years away lol.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

:P Sony is ruthless lol

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

@Shewgenja said:
@GiveMeSomething said:

Sony expects 73.2 percent annual profit jump near a level it hasn't seen since 1998

Might I suggest picking up a new hobby? Like, talking about shit you know about.

Came in here to say something else, but the thorough burn made me lose focus. Bravo.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

My Goodness, recent moves by MS/Xbox, sure has Phony, and their fans shook to the core, shaking in their boots. lol.

Eh, can't say I really blame'em tho. :P

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15916 Posts

@Shewgenja said:
@GiveMeSomething said:

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15916 Posts

Aside from that, I am glad sony choose to build yet another studio instead of buying independent studios. Sony and Nintendo are great at nurturing talents woth their own system, I am sure this studio will have good success

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

Old thread is old.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

I hope it's anything other than another movie-game. Anything, just do something different.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50558 Posts

@SecretPolice: check the date of thread broseph lol

Zappat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Zappat
Member since 2018 • 1592 Posts
@storm_of_swords said:

I hope it's anything other than another movie-game. Anything, just do something different.

Like Dreams, Concrete Genie, Ghosts of Tsushima? Guerrilla Games multiplayer shooter? A bunch of PSVR games? Those are all games Sony studios are working on right now. The idea that Sony doesn't do different stuff is all in your head and it's based on ignorance.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

@Shewgenja said:
@GiveMeSomething said:

That ownage with proof, though lmao

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

I'm sick of action adventures

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12304 Posts

It's Quentin Cobb's team.

He's back, and working for "Sony" in San Diego. The fact that he isn't sharing which studio he's at suggests either a new studio, or at least new dev team.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19571 Posts

I guess Sony is looking for more third person action adventure titles for the PS5?

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

Necro bumped thread lol. Look at the responses though. I guess fanboys can complain about anything

EG101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 EG101
Member since 2007 • 2091 Posts

Next Gen is going to be Lit

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points