Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 WhatAFailure
Member since 2017 • 608 Posts

Still at the rumor stage though, but sounds credible:

https://uploadvr.com/assassins-creed-vr-oculus/

The article from The Information cites “two people familiar with the matter” in saying Oculus is looking to outright buy game studios and sign exclusive deals. One of these sources reportedly revealed that the company has already signed deals for Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell and Assassin’s Creed in VR. The article does not confirm if these games will be made for Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest, or both.

Facebook will not confirm nor deny:

A Facebook spokesperson provided us with the same statement given to The Information: “The response to Oculus Quest and Rift S gaming have been incredible. We cannot comment on specific partnerships, but we will continue to focus on expanding our library and reaching broader gaming audiences for years to come.”

The article also states that early sales of Quest, which launched in May 2019, have “substantially exceeded Facebook’s internal sales projections.”

I don't think this means "no Splinter Cell forever" for 2D gamers. This AC and Splinter Cell VR will likely be a separate thing.

There's no way Ubisoft stops making Assassins Creed games for traditional platforms with how well Origins and Odyssey have been received. But this VR news has some at Resetera mad because they wanted Splinter Cell, but not this way.

Btw, before I hear the expected complaints about VR...it's 2019. If you haven't at least tried VR in some form by now (not buy, but try it out somewhere), you can't really complain about it. That's like saying the Marvel, Star Wars or LOTR movies are not good at all, but not even seeing a single one.

VR is on a whole other level. Try it before bagging it. And with that, I'm out

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#2 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

Series is dead.

there wont be any splinter cell because open world killed it. well it was killed long ago when double agent released. chaos theory was last great game.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

All your favourite games are coming back...

as VR and mobile games.

FML

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
Member since 2018 • 2683 Posts

Good VR is freakin' amazing, and Splinter Cell is a perfect match. Should be awesome if it happens.

Aside from that, to those sitting on the sidelines criticizing VR when you've never tried it yourself, it's time to grow a backbone, stop being scared and actually get a headset on your head and play some good VR. You'll be blown away, guaranteed.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

Assassin Creed VR lol

How will that even work? It will be like playing Dying Light but 100% worse.

BaelNergal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BaelNergal
Member since 2019 • 570 Posts

If it's anything like the other VR offerings, it'll eventually crash and burn.

It's not that VR can't have good games; it can. It's that most developers don't know how to make good VR games. Plus, there's the segment of the population, like myself, who cannot use VR technology as it currently exists.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
Member since 2018 • 2683 Posts

@watercrack445 said:

Assassin Creed VR lol

Um...have you ever played VR? There are a bunch of climbing games out there that show you exactly how it could work. As for the stealth aspects, well, that is where VR really shines.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

enjoy those 10k sales

unless its just splinter cell blacklist with a VR patch. like all other VR games lol

WhatAFailure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 WhatAFailure
@baelnergal said:

It's not that VR can't have good games; it can. It's that most developers don't know how to make good VR games. Plus, there's the segment of the population, like myself, who cannot use VR technology as it currently exists.

Why can't you use it, if I may ask? Eye condition? IPD (interpupillary distance) outside of range?

WhatAFailure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By WhatAFailure
@subspecies said:
@watercrack445 said:

Assassin Creed VR lol

Um...have you ever played VR? There are a bunch of climbing games out there that show you exactly how it could work. As for the stealth aspects, well, that is where VR really shines.

And two upcoming games that won "Best of E3 VR" awards were also stealth games. Espire.1 and Phantom: Covert Ops.

VR developers are getting much better at figuring out what works and feels great in VR. I think the AC and Splinter Cell games can be really great VR experiences if done right.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

For those who haven't tried VR, you might be wondering "What's the big deal with those games? Graphics aren't even that great."

You gotta be in VR to understand. If feels like you are there. I know it sounds like a line pulled from a box, but there's no other way to explain it. 3D, head tracking, freedom of hands, larger FOV, massive 1:1 scale -- when it's all combined, it's way more immersive than any television or monitor. Stuff just feels like it's right in front of you and you keep staring at it in amazement.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I love VR and I'm excited to see what the future holds for it but.... I still want my traditional SC game.

BaelNergal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BaelNergal
Member since 2019 • 570 Posts

@whatafailure said:
@baelnergal said:

Why can't you use it, if I may ask? Eye condition? IPD (interpupillary distance) outside of range?

I think it's the second. I know I can't see certain implementations of 3D as well either or am very quickly bothered by them (the 3DS's 3D option gives me a headache quickly).

So, I'm probably going to have to wait three or four gens for the technology to counter that.

DarthBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DarthBuzzard
Member since 2019 • 360 Posts

@watercrack445 said:

Assassin Creed VR lol

Boneworks.

Sprint Vector.

Blade and Sorcery:

Loading Video...

Parkour works very well in VR. Nay, I say it works best in VR because it's not mostly automated like Assassin's Creed or BOTW, and you have much more precision and can climb in basically unlimited ways.

You don't even need to use your hands. You could use two daggers as makeshift icepicks, or create extra holds by stabbing a weapon through a building. It's much closer to real life where anything goes.

DarthBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DarthBuzzard

@baelnergal said:
@whatafailure said:
@baelnergal said:

I think it's the second. I know I can't see certain implementations of 3D as well either or am very quickly bothered by them (the 3DS's 3D option gives me a headache quickly).

So, I'm probably going to have to wait three or four gens for the technology to counter that.

If you get headaches or eye strain, that will be fixed next generation with varifocal displays. Read up on that here. https://uploadvr.com/facebook-jon-lax-next-gen-vr-quote/

Quoted from the article:

Why it matters: varifocal headsets with realistic blur could allow for extremely long VR sessions without eye strain or visual discomfort, and make VR feel more real.

That's what Oculus are targeting for 2nd gen. We don't know what Sony or others will do yet.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

@darthbuzzard: After a play session the player is going to be really tipsy from all the vertigo.

Avatar image for needdistraction
NeedDistraction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NeedDistraction
Member since 2019 • 38 Posts
@ghosts4ever said:

Series is dead.

there wont be any splinter cell because open world killed it. well it was killed long ago when double agent released. chaos theory was last great game.

You never played the original xbox version of DA? It was just as good if not better than CT.

DarthBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DarthBuzzard

@watercrack445 said:

@darthbuzzard: After a play session the player is going to be really tipsy from all the vertigo.

Most people don't have issues from climbing in VR or from the locomotion of Sprint Vector, because they involve physical movement which creates a greater link between what your eyes are seeing and what your brain expects.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
Member since 2017 • 2335 Posts

Walking in VR is the problem. Thats the disconnects. At the point the visual tech reaches full scale, you might as well do the real thing.

Personally i see VR as more as an educational tool down the road, for example as history preservation.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

That reminds me Thief should work really well in VR provided it's not half assed.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10436 Posts
@needdistraction said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Series is dead.

You never played the original xbox version of DA? It was just as good if not better than CT.

wow wow wow. just slow down there a little there my friend. let's not say anything rash.

it was good. i'll give you that. mainly because it was so reminiscent of chaos theory in feel and style, but in a straight level by level comparison with chaos theory it just doesn't come close. and lest we forget, just like its next gen equivalent, its plot spelt the end of splinter cell as we knew it, turning the unflappable ice cool, dry witted super spy we knew and loved into pitiful drunk, unemployed father in mourning, and breaking up forever the great triumvirate of fisher, grimsdottr and lambert. and that is unforgivable.

if the pc (or 360/ps3) version didn't have you revisit the jba headquarters umpteen times for different levels with those crappy mini games, and wasn't riddled with bugs, it could (and should) have been better than it's pre-gen equivalent