Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3418 Posts

Noticing that RDR series has plenty of "hand holding" and "cinematic moments". Is RDR a movie game as well. Fanboys seem to have no issue with narrative driven games as long as it's not made by a Sony dev. Did I tell a lie? So define what a movie game is?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44423 Posts

Good grief man. 😅

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61525 Posts

What's with your obsession?

@Sagemode87 said:

So I notice Playstation haters like to bash good narrative and production values by labeling high rated Sony games as movie game. A movie game is Detroit become human, Beyond 2 Souls, Heavy Rain, Until the Dawn, The Dark Pictures franchise. That term is being used for games crammed with gameplay like Uncharted and GOW. Throwing around terms with no definition is BS so I challenge the haters to define what a movie game. A movie game is on rails throughout, not something you explore in.

Let it go...

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39644 Posts

Its only a movie game when its a Sony EXCLUSIVE. Its very difficult for haters to find something to bitch about GOTY winners this company is constantly showering us, so lets pretend that its a movie because we have nothing else to moan about. Be in their shoes for a second, its a difficult situation they're in, so we must understand their point of view. This is especially true when you have nothing this whole year, and haven't won any awards at all, its as if MS didn't exist.

Its a sad situation, but i understand.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25011 Posts

RDR2 is definitely a.movie game.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lundy86_4  Online

@Sagemode87 has the memory of a sieve.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sagemode87

@lundy86_4: you have a problem with me calling out garbage logic? This thread is to show the hypocrisy of posters that call certain games movie games. Slightly different from last thread. Let's not pretend other fanbases don't beat dead horses as well.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lundy86_4  Online

@Sagemode87 said:

@lundy86_4: you have a problem with me calling out garbage logic? This thread is to show the hypocrisy of posters that call certain games movie games. Slightly different from last thread. Let's not pretend other fanbases don't beat dead horses as well.

Nah, just a problem with you regurgitating the same question in a different thread.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11687 Posts

Yes

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jaydan  Online
Member since 2015 • 8457 Posts

It is a movie game. Probably why I have no interest in it. I'm just glad the hype is over finally. RDR shills literally would not stfu about the most recent game for years.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#11 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

The best movie game was quantum break, lems loved that.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sagemode87

@lundy86_4: you're free to go to other threads.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By lundy86_4  Online

@Sagemode87 said:

@lundy86_4: you're free to go to other threads.

I'm also free to remind you that you've made the same thread prior.

palasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14 palasta
Member since 2017 • 1409 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

What's with your obsession?

What's with the obsession shitting on 0.02% of games released? Are the 10.000 games releases annually not enoughto satisfy your gaming needs? Does everything has to be the trash you gobble up so eagerly?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/552623/number-games-released-steam/

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56318 Posts

It's a Western game that's done right and no, I don't like using the term "movie game" just say "cinematic driven game"

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#16 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 70162 Posts

Yes! 😎

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Sagemode87

@lundy86_4: was my last topic about RDR2 and the fact that it shares similar traits of games called movie games on these boards? No? Well your input has been noted, thanks.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22407 Posts

Yeah it probably is, but I don't think you can compare it to something like LOU which is mostly cutscenes.

But yeah, RDR is cinematic too.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2478 Posts

Never mind the abundance of cutscenes. Look at the animations. How long it takes the character to do anything for that "immersion," how inefficiently he moves. Rockstar cares about the production values and "realism" above everything else. They don't design good gameplay, haven't in years and years. Yes, it's a movie game.

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

Sony first party are known as movie games crying on SW won't change that.

It's a bit like when cows say Xbox has no games,but It does have games, except when people call Sony games,movie games...they are right 🤣

Oof85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Oof85
Member since 2021 • 78 Posts

Wtf is this supposed to be? A gotcha?

Yeah it's a movie game. They sacrificed game feel for cinematic realism.

That's movie game 101.

Then look at the rigid mission structure. Forcing you to do it the way THEY THE DEVELOPERS wanted?

That's movie game 102.

What makes it unforgivable is the gameplay system intricacies and layers present when you're not doing missions.

That means they've got the design chops, they just sacrificed it on the altar of their "cinematic art".

Which makes them(Rockstar) worse than the SIE studios that usually get hit with the movie game brush, since none of them have ever shown the ability to design game systems as dense and layered as Rockstar has.

If you're limited and doing what works for you, do so. It irks but you're doing your best so happy for ya little fella.

If you're able to do better but choose to do worse though....screw you and shame on you too, you're wasting your time and worse, ours too.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46525 Posts

I shared my experiences in RDR2 with my brother and with a friend:

I did all the side characters, and the main missions; my brother went out exploring and hunting to get better gear; my friend explored the entire map on horseback before starting the first mission, which he later admitted was a mistake. All three of us had a different experience.

A movie game forces you to play a certain way, and will actively punish the player for not going into a completely linear direction.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@R4gn4r0k said:

I shared my experiences in RDR2 with my brother and with a friend:

I did all the side characters, and the main missions; my brother went out exploring and hunting to get better gear; my friend explored the entire map on horseback before starting the first mission, which he later admitted was a mistake. All three of us had a different experience.

A movie game forces you to play a certain way, and will actively punish the player for not going into a completely linear direction.

when you are in mission. game is complete linear and devoid of any freedom. also slow walking in camp.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3473 Posts

I don't know or care if it's a movie game, but it's absolutely better than anything from Sony.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ghosts4ever

@kathaariancode said:

I don't know or care if it's a movie game, but it's absolutely better than anything from Sony.

Thats not saying much. sure its far better than GOW or uncharted or crap like that.

PCLover1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PCLover1980
Member since 2022 • 1276 Posts

The main story is, but the rest isn't. Unlike Sony's offering where your choices aren't really that diverse.

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 3045 Posts

Movie games are David Cage type games. Or life is strange type games. Wtf is wrong with yall?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#28 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@uitravioience said:

Movie games are David Cage type games. Or life is strange type games. Wtf is wrong with yall?

Agree, the other games are just over scripted but there is actually combat so it's not like watching a movie.

For me I like both types of games I have no fanboy allegiance to any of these companies.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ghosts4ever

@warmblur said:
@uitravioience said:

Agree, the other games are just over scripted but there is actually combat so it's not like watching a movie.

For me I like both types of games I have no fanboy allegiance to any of these companies.

David cage games market as movie games.

Uncharted, God of war, last of us are movie games market as action games.

played Uncharted 4. first 3 hours you are doing nothing. in GOW, same. walking walking walking talking. with few combat sequence. terrible game.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Wouldn’t matter either way. It’s an awful game.

Incredible graphics and production values though.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10520 Posts
@ghosts4ever said:

when you are in mission. game is complete linear and devoid of any freedom. also slow walking in camp.

yep, the open world really was frustratingly contrary to the tightly constrained linearity of missions.

i'm all for games going for realism, and few do it as impressively as rdr2. but the line needs to stop at applying that realism to player control.

relax those rigidly constrained mission guard rails, incorporate more traditional video game movement for arthur without the convoluted control scheme, and rdr2 is elevated into one of the all time great games. but, as is, it's more good "experience" than game

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ghosts4ever

@Juub1990 said:

Wouldn’t matter either way. It’s an awful game.

Incredible graphics and production values though.

Its awful "video game" but incredible experience.

Fantastic story, charactrers, graphics, wild west setting, the world. but sadly the playing part suck.

should have been Amazon prime TV series.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34726 Posts

LOL

Is this keeping you up at night?

Yes, it's a movie game. Slow, boring, focuses on cinematic presentation over gameplay.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34726 Posts
@hardwenzen said:

Its only a movie game when its a Sony EXCLUSIVE.

Not at all, it just feels that way for butthurt Sony fans.

Plague Tale, Hellblade, Heavy Rain, Uncharted, God of War.. there's lots of multiplat movie games.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Sagemode87

@oof85 said:

Wtf is this supposed to be? A gotcha?

Yeah it's a movie game. They sacrificed game feel for cinematic realism.

That's movie game 101.

Then look at the rigid mission structure. Forcing you to do it the way THEY THE DEVELOPERS wanted?

That's movie game 102.

What makes it unforgivable is the gameplay system intricacies and layers present when you're not doing missions.

That means they've got the design chops, they just sacrificed it on the altar of their "cinematic art".

Which makes them(Rockstar) worse than the SIE studios that usually get hit with the movie game brush, since none of them have ever shown the ability to design game systems as dense and layered as Rockstar has.

If you're limited and doing what works for you, do so. It irks but you're doing your best so happy for ya little fella.

If you're able to do better but choose to do worse though....screw you and shame on you too, you're wasting your time and worse, ours too.

Yes, it is a gotcha. People only called David Gage type games movie games before Sony started knocking it out of the park with over the shoulder games with high presentation and strong narrative, nevermind the 40 + hours of gameplay. Since those games started being successful, they started labeling them movie games as a knock. Only real difference from RDR2 and those is open world. Guessing every game has to be open world. Even that's not good enough as I've seen Ghosts of Tsushima labeled a movie game. Come to the conclusion that movie games are games made by Sony that haters refuse to give props to. Sorry, a game shouldn't have to be like MGS5 or Skyrim to avoid the movie game label. By your logic Resident Evil Village is a movie game.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Sagemode87
@uitravioience said:

Agreed. Same for games like Until Dawn or The Dark Pictures titles. Calling games like Uncharted 4, TLOU, and GOW movie games is a lazy knock. Good thing people outside these boards aren't so desperate trash good production values not on their platform of choice. This is the only place I've even seen Ghosts of Tsushima labeled a movie game, it's obvious why now.

Worlds_Apart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37 Worlds_Apart
Member since 2017 • 506 Posts

I don't know one person that hasn't called RDR2 a movie game. I'm not sure what the point of this thread is unless it's to defend Sony games which it probably is. Me myself I don't mind movie games.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Ghosts4ever

@Macutchi said:
@ghosts4ever said:

yep, the open world really was frustratingly contrary to the tightly constrained linearity of missions.

i'm all for games going for realism, and few do it as impressively as rdr2. but the line needs to stop at applying that realism to player control.

relax those rigidly constrained mission guard rails, incorporate more traditional video game movement for arthur without the convoluted control scheme, and rdr2 is elevated into one of the all time great games. but, as is, it's more good "experience" than game

RDR2 is better as Amazon prime series or Netflix series instead of video game.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Sagemode87

Hilarious that people are willing to tear town RDR2 just to continue a narrative 😂 Have never seen anyone go as far as to call RDR a movie game until today. If games have to become soulless like MGS5 or Skyrim, will take a movie game anyday. Can we agree it's no longer a knock considering the ridiculous credentials it takes to not be one?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Pedro  Online

@Sagemode87: Funny seeing you trying divert the movie game title from Sony games by picking another movie game. Now you are upset that your plan backfired.😂

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9885 Posts

R* has the worst mission design of all top studios imo. And it's going in the wrong direction. Basic premise is: "Follow the script or you will fail the mission!". Really boring design in a supposedly interactive medium.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Pedro  Online

@Sushiglutton: Following the script sounds like a movie game.😅

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Sushiglutton

@Pedro: Oh yeah, the main missions in a R* game are the very definition of "movie game" imo.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Pedro  Online

@Sushiglutton: I guess that makes you a fanboy.😝

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Sushiglutton

@Pedro said:

@Sushiglutton: I guess that makes you a fanboy.😝

I guess I shouldn't ruin my good Sunday-mood by asking what you mean lol 😅. You do know how to push peoples buttons, I give you that Pedro!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Pedro  Online

@Sushiglutton: I was actually making fun of the OP. You will see my angle.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Sushiglutton

@Pedro said:

@Sushiglutton: I was actually making fun of the OP. You will see my angle.

I see, will follow the drama 🍿🍿🍿!

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Sagemode87
@Pedro said:

@Sagemode87: Funny seeing you trying divert the movie game title from Sony games by picking another movie game. Now you are upset that your plan backfired.😂

Funny seeing haters have to expand the definition of movie game to downplay brands they don't like. My plan backfired? because of a Lem /Herm circle jerk? Naw. Show me two threads calling RDR a movie game when it released, I'll wait. Lems were bragging about it running better on One X, no complaining about it being a movie game. Should've known better than to expect anything but disingenuous conversation on this topic.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11808 Posts

Cows: Playstation games aren't movie games!!!!

Sony since the PS3:

Loading Video...

Oof85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Oof85
Member since 2021 • 78 Posts

@NoodleFighter: biggest oof I've seen all weekend.

People not wanting to acknowledge the truism of movie games is crazy funny to me.

Its like Nintendo fans trying to deny that they're mechanics first for the most part like...why?