So is Civ Beyond Earth a flop?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

Angry Joe review - 6/10

Metacritic: critic score 81 / User score 5.9

So, theres hardly any PC hype threads on this forum...we can all speculate as to why and throw around insults....truth is....thats not the point. So there was little to no hype for this game...yet, it's a flagship game on PC.

Usually these games are recieved well from gamers....but this one is not.

Take what metacritic looks at: Critics are giving it decent scores it seems....but gamers are giving it shit scores.

So...is it a flop?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52427 Posts

Sure.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#3 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Yes. Super flop.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Angry Joe review - 6/10

Metacritic: critic score 81 / User score 5.9

So, theres hardly any PC hype threads on this forum...we can all speculate as to why and throw around insults....truth is....thats not the point. So there was little to no hype for this game...yet, it's a flagship game on PC.

Usually these games are recieved well from gamers....but this one is not.

Take what metacritic looks at: Critics are giving it decent scores it seems....but gamers are giving it shit scores.

So...is it a flop?

looking metacritic user score is hardly any indication how good a game is. Having said that the game is indeed a flop ( still good game though ) but i have no doubt after a couple of major expansions it will be up to the standards of previous Civ games.

The game has some shortcomings that truly hold it from been great ( atrocious trade route system that ends up been a chore , some bad UI choices and lack of content ). Those though are thinks that can easily get fixed with patches and updates and hopefully ( and most likely ) that will be the case ( i do hope though this time Firaxis wont charge 30euros for the expansions )

Avatar image for deactivated-5f768591970d3
deactivated-5f768591970d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5f768591970d3
Member since 2004 • 1255 Posts

Civ games are always a slow burn. They launch and are pretty good, but after expansions become great. Civ5 was amazing post expansion. 81 meta seems about right

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Nope. Not according to the SW game.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

Yup, don't know if it had a hype thread, but hype was certainly above A. (Metacritic has nothing to do with SW flops)

REKThard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 REKThard
Member since 2014 • 479 Posts

yes but it's still great

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

i mean, its still a good game and firaxis is pretty good at supporting a game and improving it with expansions.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Not in SW land

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I don't recall seeing a hype thread.

CloudStrife213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CloudStrife213
Member since 2006 • 430 Posts

Steam Activity on the first day/second day of the game showed it's peak at 85,000+ people playing, now its peak is only at 33,000+ people playing, even less than Civ 5 which has 45,000+ people playing at it's peak. People are abandoning this game fast.

Source: Civ Beyond Earth Steam Activity

I bought this game first day and I regret buying it, played it for only 17 hours and I'm done with it.

It's basically just a reskin of Civ 5, with the same AI mechanics and dialogue (exactly the same, they didn't even bother to change the dialogue up and to create personalities for AIs). It has bland environments and wonders, bland building/unit/wonder artworks, a complicated tech tree, and an unrewarding victory(all you get is a picture saying that you won, and that's it, even though Civ 5 is like this, I thought they would have at least improved and changed the flaws of Civ 5, but they haven't).

It is Civ 5 without Civ 5's charm and the content is definitely lacking and is a lot less compared to Civ 5(they didn't even bother to add a sh*tload of content at launch and will most probably release it at a later date, this reinforces my resolve to not purchase a civ game at launch in the future).

The game is fun and all, but it definitely does not warrant a purchase if one is looking for more content or something different.

All in all, the game is a disappointment and I'm going back to playing Civ 5.

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Roler42
Member since 2013 • 1067 Posts

Unfortunately, it looks like it is

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 adamosmaki

@CloudStrife213 said:

Steam Activity on the first day/second day of the game showed it's peak at 85,000+ people playing, now its peak is only at 33,000+ people playing, even less than Civ 5 which has 45,000+ people playing at it's peak. People are abandoning this game fast.

I bought this game first day and I regret buying it, played it for only 17 hours and I'm done with it.

It's basically just a reskin of Civ 5, with the same AI mechanics and dialogue (exactly the same, they didn't even bother to change the dialogue up and to create personalities for AIs). It has bland environments and wonders, bland building/unit/wonder artworks, a complicated tech tree, and an unrewarding victory(all you get is a picture saying that you won, and that's it).

It is Civ 5 without Civ 5's charm and the content is definitely lacking and is a lot less compared to Civ 5.

Well Firaxis never said this is a new Alpha centauri . Its just people assumed that . I actually like it that is more of a civ V in space .

As for the lack of content that was the case with Civ V so i'm sure that will be fixed .

As for enviroments imo i liked them and did like the tech tree as well ( and is easy to know what to research next as long as you follow 1 affinity and dont try and do all 3 )

Of course having said that i also stoped the game after 25 hours and i dont see me getting back at least after the first major expansion and hopefully a few fixes ( my main gripes are trade routes and some UI fixes such as minimap )

Raptor_Herc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Raptor_Herc
Member since 2013 • 330 Posts

It has lived up to the hype, imo. Some things need to be fixed/re-balanced, but overall the game is quite good. I wonder how much more time and effort Firaxis will put into this game, however, as it is an offshoot of their main franchise.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

Keep grasping at straws Huggles.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

I care not at all, I'm enjoying it and as far as I'm concerned that's all that matters. It plays well, is easy to get into, like most civ games, but will take time to master.

At least it isn't a broken mess like Drive Club or stripped to the bare essentials like Destiny.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Well for System War Standards. What was the Hype and what did Gamespot give it?

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

@bldgirsh said:

Keep grasping at straws Huggles.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BldgIrsh

@LegatoSkyheart:

Hype = None.

Gamespot = 7.

According to Huggles logic that's a super flop.

The main reason there was never a hype thread is due to the fact that theses devs are committed to civilization. The game today will be completely different within mere months.

Destiny in the other hand has shown the lack of inconpetence the bungie team has in creating games. 20$ for a DLC that contains less content than 1/3rd of the base game? (Considering there was no content to begin with in the base game.) Lol.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

PC had a better year than consoles by far. Wii U is the only one that came close. Obvious DC is obvious.

That said, yes Civ: BE was a flop unofficially. Lots of people were expecting at least AA from this franchise, and said as much in other threads.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

So....there was no hype...but yet one person even said "it lived up to the hype."

Then....I ask a question....and according to the geniuses on this board....that means I'm making a statement.

There were like 20 posts....and the usual suspects came in and made this about me.

This thread was going so pleasantly.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#23 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

Sure.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BldgIrsh

@mr_huggles_dog: See the problem is, you are asking if it's a flop and using metacritc. In SW's the score that only matters is gamespots and there must have been an official hype thread that hyped a score higher than a 7. You should have known this.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Vaasman

@mr_huggles_dog said:

So....there was no hype...but yet one person even said "it lived up to the hype."

Then....I ask a question....and according to the geniuses on this board....that means I'm making a statement.

There were like 20 posts....and the usual suspects came in and made this about me.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Vaasman

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@Vaasman said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

HA....ok....you make it sound like a chore.

I really don't care.

But I guess that pic makes you cool.

Fucking dork.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mikhail

Less than one page in and Mr_Huggles_Troll is already resorting to namecalling and moving the goal posts. At least nothing has changed since...yesterday.

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#29 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@CloudStrife213 said:

It's basically just a reskin of Civ 5, with the same AI mechanics and dialogue (exactly the same, they didn't even bother to change the dialogue up and to create personalities for AIs). It has bland environments and wonders, bland building/unit/wonder artworks, a complicated tech tree, and an unrewarding victory(all you get is a picture saying that you won, and that's it, even though Civ 5 is like this, I thought they would have at least improved and changed the flaws of Civ 5, but they haven't).

It is Civ 5 without Civ 5's charm and the content is definitely lacking and is a lot less compared to Civ 5(they didn't even bother to add a sh*tload of content at launch and will most probably release it at a later date, this reinforces my resolve to not purchase a civ game at launch in the future).

The game is fun and all, but it definitely does not warrant a purchase if one is looking for more content or something different.

So let me get this straight, you are complaining that a a game with "Civilization" in the title on a space colony plays like civ5 with space colony stuff.... wow... who would of thought. Did you expect a different game? I sure didn't. I knew what i was getting into and that is a fun civ game. I love tbs strategy and this game is great! Will they add more, sure they always do, it's civ and the base game is fun. If this game wasn't called "CIV" beyond earth, than I would expected something different, xcom was different, but this game is CIV... Why would you expect it to be totally different?

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

No hype = no flop. it's a good game, not great, but it's fun

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts
@bldgirsh said:

Keep grasping at straws Cranler.

fixed

btw, why doen't Cranler wanna talk about Legend of Grimlock 2 getting a 9 on GS, and 86 on MC?

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mikhail

@deadline-zero0 said:
@bldgirsh said:

fixed

btw, why doen't Cranler wanna talk about Legend of Grimlock 2 getting a 9 on GS, and 86 on MC?

Don't you know this by now, "indie trash" and RTS/mobas/strategy games don't count.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By adamosmaki

@mikhail said:

@deadline-zero0 said:
@bldgirsh said:

fixed

Don't you know this by now, "indie trash" and RTS/mobas/strategy games don't count.

dont forget " if there is no ad on tv then it doesnt count "

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#35  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I played one game of it so far. I liked it. Not blown away by it or anything but it's more civ and at the difficulty and skill level that I play at it works well.
I'm disappointed by the lack of victory conditions. You may think there are quite a few but most are ruled out within the first quarter of a game because they are specific to the affinities.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#36 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

It got 7/10 from gamespot which isn't bad score in most cases but for a Civilization game , it is a bad score . I think it'll become a true 9/10 game after a major expansion pack . Hopefully Total War : Attila won't end up like this . I'm extremely pumped for that game .

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#37 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts
@Vaasman said:

PC had a better year than consoles by far. Wii U is the only one that came close. Obvious DC is obvious.

That said, yes Civ: BE was a flop unofficially. Lots of people were expecting at least AA from this franchise, and said as much in other threads.

Agreed . However , I don't think there was a hype thread for Civ : Beyond Earth (so not a flop by SW standards) . That said, I expected it to score AAA and sadly that didn't happen. I think they reserved a lot of stuff for expansion pack (terrible new tradition of game industry) . I'm currently back on playing Divinity : Original Sin and that game alone is better than anything I've seen or played this year so far. The only thing that comes close is Black Flag but it is 2013 game, that I played this year. So yeah , this year was best for PC and then there is Wii U .

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@adamosmaki said:

@mikhail said:

@deadline-zero0 said:
@bldgirsh said:

fixed

dont forget " if there is no ad on tv then it doesnt count "

Guess they needed to lock it at 30fps, with mandatory black bars, and QTE events. You know, for that cinematic feel consoles are so fond of.

CloudStrife213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By CloudStrife213
Member since 2006 • 430 Posts

@Midnightshade29 said:

@CloudStrife213 said:

So let me get this straight, you are complaining that a a game with "Civilization" in the title on a space colony plays like civ5 with space colony stuff.... wow... who would of thought. Did you expect a different game? I sure didn't. I knew what i was getting into and that is a fun civ game. I love tbs strategy and this game is great! Will they add more, sure they always do, it's civ and the base game is fun. If this game wasn't called "CIV" beyond earth, than I would expected something different, xcom was different, but this game is CIV... Why would you expect it to be totally different?

I never said that I was expecting something totally different from Civ 5. Improving upon past games substantially and adding fresh content is essential if any game series ever wants to move forward, else it will suffer from stagnation and lack of innovation.

Having something that offers something interestingly unique and satisfyingly different from a past game is important, else why purchase the game when you can just buy the same game with more content, minus the space setting, building/unit/wonder/victory reskins made for space? If one is really into the space setting, then good, but if not, then the game generally has limited new content aside from affinities(military,unit, and resource upgrades), covert ops(spying with more options), quests(diplomacy made easier), and aliens(tougher reskinned barbarians). Making it to me; and many others not worth a $50 purchase.

The game is fun and all, but it definitely does not warrant a purchase if one is looking for more content or something different. This game is not different enough from Civ 5 to warrant a $50 purchase, in fact, buying Civ 5 now is better because it has more content. But hey, maybe the content is good enough for you and you found the purchase worth your money.

All in all, your opinion is your opinion. As I have said, the game is fun, but it does not offer anything substantially unique to warrant a purchase for me.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#40 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

This didn't get a hype thread? SWs used to be a lot more popular and chaotic before the site change.