So i'm guessing Metroid Prime 4 will look no better than Doom on Switch.....

• 57 results
soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By soapandbubbles
Member since 2010 • 3412 Posts

Knowing how the switch is basically a handheld with unimpressive hardware, one can imagine after seeing what Doom runs like on the Switch, we can expect the next metroid switch game to somewhat resemble it in graphically fidelity. I mean seriously Doom on switch is already maxing out the hardware, anything better looking will suffer dearly. I think Doom on switch is the best we are going to get concerning a high end FPS graphical game. Thoughts?

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#2  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I wouldn't have much of a problem with that. The original MP is visually still OK today. Of course you can tell it's older now, but it still manages to set the tone, and it still manages to look appealing overall.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23718 Posts

Nah.

Even now the Prime games still hold up well enough. Between Prime 4 being developed from the ground up with Switch as the target, and hopefully having a nice art style to go along with it, it should look and run nicely.

Down porting Doom, or just about any other modern AAA multiplat for that matter, is never going to be a good look on Switch.

Of course this is all "no shit?" territory, but just in case you were being serious lol.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5559 Posts

Definitive edition on Switch... clearly

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56219 Posts

I still say all the Prime games are still fun to play on a Nintendo console since hey, there were build from the ground up right?

Well in any case, I expect Metroid Prime 4 to do it's own thing and nothing like Doom 2016 and let's be real, Prime 4 is going to be build from the ground up for Switch vs Doom 2016 port and so with that, apple/orange here.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7712 Posts
@enzyme36 said:

Definitive edition on Switch... clearly

well it's only a matter of time

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Killzone on Vita>Metroid Prime 4. Fact.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#9 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17834 Posts

It will look decent, but will not be a graphical showcase like the original game was back on Gamecube. Gamecube was powerful for its time, the Switch is not.

p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6610 Posts

Prime 4 is being built from the ground up for the Switch, it's not a port like Doom. The first 3 Prime games still hold up to this day. I have no concerns on how the game will look, it will look great.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7314 Posts

It's rare that the best looking game on any system is a port.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

You guys shouldnt get upset or find surprising about the graphical capabilities of Switch. Besides Nintendo 1st parties, except few , aging very well which is a sign that games looks good or pleasing , with one way or another so i think so will Prime 4. No , it wont be photorealistic with high end textures blabla , but if its pleasing to watch and great game to play with who cares.

Also i like that TC understands what Switch really is and what he should expect from it.

I dont know a single guy yet that bought Switch and was waiting for good high end graphics.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

Porting a game is significantly different than making an exclusive from the ground up. Plus, Prime 4 will be 60FPS. Don't worry.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

Metroid Prime 4 won't be a port, and Doom looks fine considering the Switch hardware.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44605 Posts

you don't really have to push a hardware's limits to make a game look nice, art direction can go a long way

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AzatiS

@Sgt_Crow said:

Metroid Prime 4 won't be a port, and Doom looks fine considering the Switch hardware.

Next to other consoles will not , for handheld purposes will be great . Thats what i thought when i learned about res/fps etc Because i think we gonna see more graphical differences in the end when it comes to lighting and various other things. We will see how the end product will look like

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

@judaspete said:

It's rare that the best looking game on any system is a port.

This^^

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
Member since 2017 • 2335 Posts

Nintendos art direction will prove otherwise.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

I could care less if they released it on the gamecube.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Doom running on a handheld in the first place is mighty impressive. Considering the only major difference between it and the other console versions is essentially texture resolution and some shaders, I don't see how this in any way indicates that the new Metroid Prime game is going to suffer graphically at all.

And why would that even matter? People didn't buy the Switch for it's graphical ability.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 foxhound_fox

@jdc6305 said:

How much could you care less?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

I think it will turn out just fine. The series has always looked pretty and achieved 60fps. I'm expecting they'll do the same with Metroid Prime 4.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56219 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

And why would that even matter? People didn't buy the Switch for it's graphical ability.

I just brought it to play the games it has on the Switch and I couldn't be more satisfied with my purchase. Plus, I'm just glad the Switch isn't nothing like the other guys.

If I want raw graphics to play a game on, my PC is the only machine that can give me what I crave for.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TheEroica  Moderator  Online
Member since 2009 • 22777 Posts

Both Mario and Zelda look gorgeous, why wouldn't Metroid?

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:
@jdc6305 said:

What I meant is I'd still buy it. If I cared about graphics I'd have a high end pc.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

How do you know that Doom is already maxing the Switch?

PopGotcha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 PopGotcha
Member since 2016 • 716 Posts

Oh no it will, and be 60FPS at that too. BOTW, Odyssey look gorgeous. Hell even MK8 looks bloody nice

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

@davillain-: word!!

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By foxhound_fox

@jdc6305 said:
@foxhound_fox said:
@jdc6305 said:

What I meant is I'd still buy it. If I cared about graphics I'd have a high end pc.

mgools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30  Edited By mgools
Member since 2005 • 1301 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:
@jdc6305 said:
@foxhound_fox said:
@jdc6305 said:

Don't think he noticed what he typed. I too was wondering how much more he could care less :). Maybe 50% more?

ForzaWetTrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ForzaWetTrack
Member since 2017 • 14 Posts

@soapandbubbles:

256 CUDA cores at 921 Mhz yields about 471 GFLOPS 32bit FP.

Nintendo Switch being under XBO.

Snapdragon 820/820A ranges from 407.4 to 498.5 GFLOPS

Snapdragon 821's GPU has about 519.2 GFLOPS 32bit FP.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#32 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

you don't really have to push a hardware's limits to make a game look nice, art direction can go a long way

yes this x100. Metroid is a visually interesting series. It can still be visually striking even if it lags in pixels and frames

Also, gameplay trumps all. Hardly anyone out there dismisses Zelda because it lags behind other console games graphically, because the game is too good. Nintendo's main focus has to be to try to duplicate BotW's success by recognizing what makes it appealing. That is, western style non-linear gameplay.

p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6610 Posts

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

Metroid Prime 4 could be made with Gamecube graphics and it would not make a damn bit of difference to me. A great game is great has not that much to do with graphics to me.

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

i love good graphics, but even if metroid isn't the top of the line its still going to be the best looking metroid to date and the old ones still hold up fairly well

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts

@schu said:

i love good graphics, but even if metroid isn't the top of the line its still going to be the best looking metroid to date and the old ones still hold up fairly well

you got federation force whats the issue haha

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34670 Posts

DOOM is a downgraded port by a team named Panic Button. I'm guessing MP4 will be a bit more impressive looking, being designed for Switch hardware only by Nintendo themselves.

But.. who gives a shit?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

exactly

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44301 Posts

Doom is a port and Metroid Prime 4 won't be and art style can really differentiate things as well.

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Aki2017
Member since 2017 • 817 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

Nah.

Even now the Prime games still hold up well enough. Between Prime 4 being developed from the ground up with Switch as the target, and hopefully having a nice art style to go along with it, it should look and run nicely.

Down porting Doom, or just about any other modern AAA multiplat for that matter, is never going to be a good look on Switch.

Of course this is all "no shit?" territory, but just in case you were being serious lol.

What you said, lol. Saved me the effort

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#41 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts

@metalboi said:

Is that all you people think about?

Seriously, I'm surprised computer graphics isn't some sort of drug yet, considering the addiction.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By AzatiS

@nintendoboy16 said:
@metalboi said:

Seriously, I'm surprised computer graphics isn't some sort of drug yet, considering the addiction.

I understand what you trying to say but dont tell me you wouldnt shit your pants hard if there was a BOTW version of the game with high end photorealistic graphics and everything in the world was as alive as it could get. Nor if someone could choose over 2 different versions of BOTW there would be too many choose the low end , cartoony style version.

Because i remember in the past when the first glimpses of new ZELDA pop up , and we talking about screenshots here, everyone was talking about ... how great it looks and screenshots alone created alot of buzz. Wasnt gameplay , wasnt any info about the world or story etc .. Was about graphics and that alone.

You remember this and how every single sheep around net got excited ?

I dont mind cartoony style , wind waker was my best Zelda personally and was as cartoony as could get but lets be honest that in some genres graphics are great to have including Zelda or Metroid Prime etc.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17838 Posts

metroid primes art direction combined with tech the likes of that seen in doom....yeah. id be happy with that. thats going to be a great looking game. metroid prime has actually aged pretty well.

imho, i think we are at a point now where every console is capable of delivering great looking games. they may not be ultra settings and some versions will look better than others but at the same time all currently abvailable hardware in any console is capable of delivering a great looking game. i mean you can say forza 7 looks better than fast racing RMX sure. but does that make Fast an ugly looking game? its still a great looking game (i stuck it on a 4K telly even and it was quite nice to look at).

on a side note...who is working on metroid prime 4? as i understand it its not retro anyway (and what are they up to?).

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By AzatiS

@metalboi said:
@AzatiS said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@metalboi said:

I understand what you trying to say but dont tell me you wouldnt shit your pants hard if there was a BOTW version of the game with high end photorealistic graphics and everything in the world was as alive as it could get. Nor if someone could choose over 2 different versions of BOTW there would be too many choose the low end , cartoony style version.

Because i remember in the past when the first glimpses of new ZELDA pop up , and we talking about screenshots here, everyone was talking about ... how great it looks and screenshots alone created alot of buzz. Wasnt gameplay , wasnt any info about the world or story etc .. Was about graphics and that alone.

I dont mind cartoony style , wind waker was my best Zelda personally and was as cartoony as could get but lets be honest that in some genres graphics are great to have including Zelda or Metroid Prime etc.

Honestly? No. Prime graphics give me the fucking creeps sometimes, and they've never enhanced my gaming experience. For instance, I've been trying my best to get in to Horizon: Zero Dawn, but as of yet I just can't. Something about those uncanny faces that nod constantly like bobble head dolls you see at baseball games is just annoying.

I'd rather have cartoony graphics, personally.

Well yeah ok , i wont say this is the rule for every single guy on earth but lets not pretend that great , shiny graphics have not an impact how games feel. Almost like a drug if you ask me.

The moment first images of new Zelda ( one of those is the one i posted ) released few years back and every single Nintendo fan was talking how great it looks and how excited everyone were blabla. You get the grip. All that happened because of ... shiny graphics screenshots.

So lets not pretend because Switch is really weak and having cel shaded graphics is one-way road for most of games that suddenly graphics dont matter or noone gives a shit blabla ... Everyone do , more or less , and the above example is a fine one.

Now dont take me wrong , i like too cartoony styles and all but it really depends what im playing. Cant imagine a Resident Evil 7 with either cartoon style nor Wii U like graphics that would have compromised the whole atmosphere and the whole experience.

So we can debate all day long if graphics matter but in the end of the day ... they do. For some more than others.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By AzatiS

@metalboi said:
@AzatiS said:
@metalboi said:
@AzatiS said:

Honestly? No. Prime graphics give me the fucking creeps sometimes, and they've never enhanced my gaming experience. For instance, I've been trying my best to get in to Horizon: Zero Dawn, but as of yet I just can't. Something about those uncanny faces that nod constantly like bobble head dolls you see at baseball games is just annoying.

I'd rather have cartoony graphics, personally.

Well yeah ok , i wont say this is the rule for every single guy on earth but lets not pretend that great , shiny graphics have not an impact how games feel. Almost like a drug if you ask me.

The moment first images of new Zelda ( one of those is the one i posted ) released few years back and every single Nintendo fan was talking how great it looks and how excited everyone were blabla. You get the grip. All that happened because of ... shiny graphics screenshots.

So lets not pretend because Switch is really weak and having cel shaded graphics is one-way road for most of games that suddenly graphics dont matter or noone gives a shit blabla ... Everyone do , more or less , and the above example is a fine one.

Now dont take me wrong , i like too cartoony styles and all but it really depends what im playing. Cant imagine a Resident Evil 7 with either cartoon style nor Wii U like graphics that would have compromised the whole atmosphere and the whole experience.

So we can debate all day long if graphics matter but in the end of the day ... they do. For some more than others.

It's all just preference at the end of the day, and I agree that a lot of people love, and prefer high end graphics. Luckily for them, there is a strong market that caters to them. Luckily for people like me, we have things like Switch, Vita, PSP, 3DS and so on.

Gaming is always going to be at its best with multiple ways to play, and a good variety of options for the players.

It is. What im trying to say is that even nintendo fans are into great graphics with the above example, everyone is actually if you think about it.

I agree ,variety is a great thing but between us , i would love to have a Zelda with a serious tone and high end graphics for once. For games like Mario , Kart , Smash and various other "kid" image games i wouldnt mind to keep them like that like forever.

But thats my personal taste i guess.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#48  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

If Nintendo wants the Metroid series to keep being relevant it must not be lower than 60fps, POINT.

Any FPS lower than 60fps at this day and age is unexcusable

I would prefer games like Destiny to pay less attention to graphics and rather have 60fps gameplay

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Doom looks terrific. Just stop with this side by side nonsense.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

How can you look at Retro's history with Metroid Prime and Donkey Kong Country Returns and say that Prime 4 is going to look bad?

I'm sure they'll use their skills and techniques to make Prime 4's atmosphere look great.

Doom is simply a port. I'm sure if they were remaking the game from the ground up to play on Switch it would look a lot better, but what's the point? It would take so much more time and money to do that.