So if these console classic minis are a thing these days, why not an Arcade Mini?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

slaveknight09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By slaveknight09
Member since 2017 • 119 Posts

What I'm trying to say, is what if we got a collection of Arcade games in the 90's and in the late 90s. Those are fun especially those fun beat em ups such as X-Men, TMNT Turtles in time, Street Rage 2, Sengoku like all of em, Aliens Vs. Predator etc.. And fighting games such as Mortal Kombat and all SF II games. I know this possible of course through emulators and stuff. But I'm saying a portable arcade mini for everyone. And those Arcade visuals are fantastic tbh back in the days. I love large sprites and beautiful landscapes of side scrolling technique.

What do you guys think?

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts

I like the idea. Get Capcom and Namco to spearhead this and I'm sure Konami would allow some games on it too.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

I'd love to see older arcade games make a return, unfortunately I imagine the biggest obstacle to many of the games I'd want to play is rights related.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Yeah, there might be a market for that.

A lot of people I know do have custom cabs with PCs inside, running stuff like Mame, Naomi, Fightcade, etc. But of course those things are both massive and pricey, really more enthusiast level stuff.

Guess it depends on how "mini" we're talking though. They do make table top arcade machines, but they're a bit pricey and have to be bulky enough to accommodate two player layouts and a decent sized screen.

And of course they do make them smaller, with only one player layouts, but then it's kinda defeating the purpose.

Are you just talking about a console form factor with preloaded arcade roms and controllers though? Beccause yeah, they could probably make those for next to nothing.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

too many licensing fees and rights.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

There'd probably be more support for porting arcade games if people bothered to buy them on XBLA or PSN, even though they released tons for a few bucks a piece, people didn't show enough love.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56103 Posts

I like the idea but, is there a demanding Sega Dreamcast Mini Classic? That console had lots of awesome arcade games and would hope one day Sega makes a Dreamcast Mini.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44169 Posts

That would be pretty cool and I would definitely buy something like that from Capcom or Konami although licensed games like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and X-Men would have to be reacquired. Also it would probably be more cost effective just to port them to consoles.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
Member since 2017 • 2335 Posts

Gameboy Advance Micro Mini. Da fuuuuuuuq? Lol

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

I actually used to love the arcade thing MS used to have going on in the 360 days. I had a heap of games in my little arcade, set to my themes for each room.

Only problem was they promised X amount of games at regular intervals, but it wasn't long and they abandoned that idea, effectively burning those of us that purchased all the packs.

That was the first major disappointment for me on 360, then not long after the 360 became Kinect driven, and that was enough to turn my attention more to my PS3, and ultimately make it my main system.

But back to the topic, I would love something that played some of the Arcade classics.