So apparently the Sony Video Download Store is official now

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts
How amusing. :D But Microsoft still has a few moves up their sleeves when it comes to digital media. It'll be interesting to see what Sony plans to offer with their store. Since they own their own movie studios and TV production studios and whatnot, will their competitors allow their content to be sold through the PS3, or will they side with Microsoft against Sony? More importantly, will Sony's Video Download service be anywhere near as seamless as the XBL Video Marketplace, or will it just be a simple webpage embedded in the browser that has to be navigated by mouse and keyboard?
Me-Ur-Daddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Me-Ur-Daddy
Member since 2007 • 547 Posts
its been announced and so is a tivo service for ps3
DaysAirlines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DaysAirlines
Member since 2006 • 9537 Posts
Sony owns Columbia Pictures, they have better movies.
Blinblingthing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Blinblingthing
Member since 2005 • 6943 Posts
Well Sony Does Movies, TV  shows and what not, Am expecting the better content on the PS3 store
GazzaB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#5 GazzaB
Member since 2004 • 27139 Posts
Sony owns Columbia Pictures, they have better movies.DaysAirlines

:roll: of course they do
Me-Ur-Daddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Me-Ur-Daddy
when spider-man 3 hits and comes to blu-ray also the war is ovar !!!!!! j/k but for real its gonna do some damage
Guess_With_ReX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Guess_With_ReX
Member since 2007 • 1191 Posts
I backup >_> my movies.
GsSanAndreas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GsSanAndreas
Member since 2004 • 3075 Posts
Sony is in the movie buisness, Microsoft is in the Pc buisness,  i think sony will do better with the videos
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mjarantilla
This'll be an interesting war to watch, at least. It's not even BluRay-vs-HD-DVD. It's still PS3-vs-360.
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mjarantilla
Sony is in the movie buisness, Microsoft is in the Pc buisness, i think sony will do better with the videosGsSanAndreas
Have you ever tried using Sony's music player? This isn't about movies, this is about digital media technologies, and THAT is Microsoft's forte. (Or one of them, at least.)
Avatar image for thirstychainsaw
thirstychainsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 thirstychainsaw
Member since 2007 • 3761 Posts
Sony is in the movie buisness, Microsoft is in the Pc buisness, i think sony will do better with the videosGsSanAndreas

Microsoft is in the software business, therefore I think Microsoft will always have better games...:|
InfamousC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 InfamousC
Member since 2006 • 2389 Posts
Yes we get Tekken 5: Dark Ressurection this month. :D
Me-Ur-Daddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Me-Ur-Daddy
[QUOTE="GsSanAndreas"]Sony is in the movie buisness, Microsoft is in the Pc buisness, i think sony will do better with the videosmjarantilla
Have you ever tried using Sony's music player? This isn't about movies, this is about digital media technologies, and THAT is Microsoft's forte. (Or one of them, at least.)

yeah they are crushing ipod with zune, or not.
Me-Ur-Daddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Me-Ur-Daddy
[QUOTE="DaysAirlines"]Sony owns Columbia Pictures, they have better movies.R-Dot-Yung
yup, Ghost Rider sucked though, jesus what an abomination

it got 40 mill though, sony has broken records with profits in 2006 and the most #1 movies and seem to be continuing the trend.
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mjarantilla
[QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="GsSanAndreas"]Sony is in the movie buisness, Microsoft is in the Pc buisness, i think sony will do better with the videosMe-Ur-Daddy

Yeah, and how's Sony's MP3 player doing, hm? Come off it. Everything falls before the iPod.
Acenso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Acenso
Member since 2006 • 2355 Posts
[QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="GsSanAndreas"]Sony is in the movie buisness, Microsoft is in the Pc buisness, i think sony will do better with the videosMe-Ur-Daddy

It is actually the first MP3 to actually put a dent into Ipods market.
Do we need to recall the Sony MP3 player that did not even last a month?

Also it does not matter who owns more movies if One can not deliver them!!!
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mjarantilla
What other movie and TV studios does Sony own?
CJL13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 CJL13
Member since 2005 • 19137 Posts

What other movie and TV studios does Sony own?mjarantilla

MGM, UA, Orion, Polygram, Tristar, Columbia, Republic I think.

asdasd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 asdasd
Member since 2005 • 4464 Posts
[QUOTE="Me-Ur-Daddy"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="GsSanAndreas"]Sony is in the movie buisness, Microsoft is in the Pc buisness, i think sony will do better with the videosAcenso

The zune !@#$ing sucks... I know because I got one for christmas. It is such a pain in the ass to use.
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mjarantilla

[QUOTE="mjarantilla"]What other movie and TV studios does Sony own?CJL13

MGM, UA, Orion, Polygram, Tristar, Columbia, Republic I think.

What about TV studios? MGM has its own television division. Columbia Broadcasting (CBS) is definitely not a part of Sony.
giantsfan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 giantsfan91
Member since 2004 • 199 Posts

What about TV studios? MGM has its own television division. Columbia Broadcasting (CBS) is definitely not a part of Sony.

They produce T.V. Shows such as Wheel of Fortune, King of Queens, Married with Children, Sienfeld, Jeopardy, the Boondocks and God knows what else. Those are a few of the shows made at their studios.
Haseokicksass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#23 Haseokicksass
Member since 2006 • 4604 Posts

What about TV studios? MGM has its own television division. Columbia Broadcasting (CBS) is definitely not a part of Sony.giantsfan91

They produce T.V. Shows such as Wheel of Fortune, King of Queens, Married with Children, Sienfeld, Jeopardy, the Boondocks and God knows what else. Those are a few of the shows made at their studios.

I LOVE THE BOONDOCKS!

sainraja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 sainraja
Member since 2006 • 1956 Posts
[QUOTE="Me-Ur-Daddy"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="GsSanAndreas"]Sony is in the movie buisness, Microsoft is in the Pc buisness, i think sony will do better with the videosAcenso

With it's 2% marketshare? lol The only advantage Microsoft has is with it's software but that still isn't saying much, just look at Windows (I don't think I need to explain this one.) Apple is a better software company but they need to be more open with their OS. The only company that did some denting is Apple's iPod to Sony's Walkman. Ipod is the new Walkman....zune was never anything.

Did Microsoft deliver these television shows on day one the 360 released? No, didn't think so. They delivered recently. Sony has an advantage when it comes to content that they can deliver.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts
Did Microsoft deliver these television shows on day one the 360 released? No, didn't think so. They delivered recently. Sony has an advantage when it comes to content that they can deliver.sainraja
The only way Sony could've edged out Microsoft is to have launched with the service built-in, but they didn't. True, Sony Pictures and Sony Pictures Television has a number of television resources (anything from Columbia Pictures Television, for example), but a number of them are already contracted to third parties (like Time Warner).
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts

But if I remember correctly, you are a bit biased in this topic. I would go so far as to say conflict of interest...:)
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mjarantilla
[quote="sainraja"]With it's 2% marketshare? lol The only advantage Microsoft has is with it's software but that still isn't saying much, just look at Windows (I don't think I need to explain this one.) Apple is a better software company but they need to be more open with their OS. The only company that did some denting is Apple's iPod to Sony's Walkman. Ipod is the new Walkman....zune was never anything.

You DO realize that even though the ZUNE may have only 2% marketshare against Apple, the WINDOWS MEDIA PLATFORM itself has around 30% marketshare against Apple's AAC format, right? And you do know that beyond the limited download-to-own music store model, WMA and WMV are the chosen standard media formats for embedded media, right? Where's Sony's ATRAC3 format? What happened to Sony's CONNECT Player? Have you used Sony's SonicStage? Sony's displayed a TERRIBLE history when it comes to handling digital media. They still have strong HARDWARE sales, but like I said, this will be a competition of DIGITAL MEDIA, not HARDWARE. Like Jason Rubin said, Sony's a great hardware company, but for this generation I think it'll be the software that settles everything.
Did Microsoft deliver these television shows on day one the 360 released? No, didn't think so. They delivered recently. Sony has an advantage when it comes to content that they can deliver. sainraja
Sony still needs to actually transcode all of its shows and movies into a format viable for digital distribution. I should say that Microsoft reached a thousand hours of hosted, unique content much faster than ANY other video service, including Amazon Unbox and iTunes. That's a thousand hours of UNIQUE content, a large bulk of which were available in HD. It can take a whole DAY for just one hour of HD video to be transcoded from the source mezzanine file, not to mention the number of times a video may have to go back to be re-encoded, etc., and Microsoft STILL managed to get all that content up faster than iTunes AND Unbox, so the accomplishment is nothing to laugh at. They can't use their old content immediately, because it's all on tape, and many of THOSE need remastering. They can't use their DVD content immediately, because those are in MPEG-2. They can't even use their BluRay HD movies immediately, because their BluRay movies are encoded in codecs that can't be secured with the DRM that a download service would require. They'd need to transcode their entire library first before they can put all that up, and that itself is a huge chore.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 HuusAsking
Sony still needs to actually transcode all of its shows and movies into a format viable for digital distribution. I should say that Microsoft reached a thousand hours of hosted, unique content much faster than ANY other video service, including Amazon Unbox and iTunes. That's a thousand hours of UNIQUE content, a large bulk of which were available in HD. It can take a whole DAY for just one hour of HD video to be transcoded from the source mezzanine file, not to mention the number of times a video may have to go back to be re-encoded, etc., and Microsoft STILL managed to get all that content up faster than iTunes AND Unbox, so the accomplishment is nothing to laugh at.mjarantilla
But what's to say Sony hasn't already done all the transcoding and is now simply waiting for the legal green light?
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="Acenso"][QUOTE="Me-Ur-Daddy"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="GsSanAndreas"]Sony is in the movie buisness, Microsoft is in the Pc buisness, i think sony will do better with the videossainraja

With it's 2% marketshare? lol The only advantage Microsoft has is with it's software but that still isn't saying much, just look at Windows (I don't think I need to explain this one.) Apple is a better software company but they need to be more open with their OS. The only company that did some denting is Apple's iPod to Sony's Walkman. Ipod is the new Walkman....zune was never anything.

Wow, someone else with the standard Microsoft stole from Apple thing. Look, there is a reason Windows is on over 95% of PCs. Its because it has done things better than Apple in terms of openess, ease of use, and recognizability.
    iPod is winning because it built itself up as the Q-Tip of the MP3 world. Not that that status is permanent, but it will take many years to take iPod down, if ever, but the Zune is off to a decent start.
    As for the marketplace, Xbox has the online experience and the Hardware (servers). Sony has its own studios properties. It would seem to be a draw, but since that will satisfy none of you fan-peoples, I'll just say that the Wii will win in the video downloads.
    In actuality, I doubt it will matter much, as PC-console interactivity will improve, and places like Amazon and other digital download places will fragment the market to the point where there is not a whole lot of "ownage" to go around.
Blinblingthing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Blinblingthing
Member since 2005 • 6943 Posts

[QUOTE="GsSanAndreas"]Sony is in the movie buisness, Microsoft is in the Pc buisness, i think sony will do better with the videosthirstychainsaw

Microsoft is in the software business, therefore I think Microsoft will always have better games...:|

Microsoft = PC Applications and OSs,

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mjarantilla
[QUOTE="mjarantilla"]Sony still needs to actually transcode all of its shows and movies into a format viable for digital distribution. I should say that Microsoft reached a thousand hours of hosted, unique content much faster than ANY other video service, including Amazon Unbox and iTunes. That's a thousand hours of UNIQUE content, a large bulk of which were available in HD. It can take a whole DAY for just one hour of HD video to be transcoded from the source mezzanine file, not to mention the number of times a video may have to go back to be re-encoded, etc., and Microsoft STILL managed to get all that content up faster than iTunes AND Unbox, so the accomplishment is nothing to laugh at.HuusAsking
But what's to say Sony hasn't already done all the transcoding and is now simply waiting for the legal green light?

I can almost guarantee you that they haven't. NONE of the movie studios I've worked with have had pre-prepared encoded files ready to roll out, even though video download services have existed for years. This is the BIG weakness of movie studios compared to music labels. Music labels have a very streamlined, automated system of getting their music out to distributors and retailers. Movie studios do not. Movie studios exist to do one thing: make movies for theatrical release. Everything else is secondary. They rely on third-party encoding houses to digitize and process their videos; very rarely do they do the processing themselves.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SpruceCaboose
    Seriously, all this Sony wins/Microsoft wins stuff is just junk.
    Honestly, do you argue if Amazon sells more DVDs to people that Best Buy?
    Look, if you are woried about getting the best service for movies, but a dual Blu-Ray/HD-DVD player. That way you can have either HD format, and DVD, all in one, and no worries about transcoding, download time, studio support, etc.
    The video downloads are supposed to be nice add-ons to the online environment, not the meat & potatoes of the systems. They still play games, which is the most important thing.
cterry04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 cterry04
Member since 2005 • 2244 Posts

Can't Sony think of anything on their own anymore?

Avatar image for Runningflame570
Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Runningflame570
Member since 2005 • 10388 Posts
[QUOTE="mjarantilla"] Have you ever tried using Sony's music player? This isn't about movies, this is about digital media technologies, and THAT is Microsoft's forte. (Or one of them, at least.)

Feh, neither of their formats touch Ogg Vorbis and in all probably Theora will end up better than WMV.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 HuusAsking
Look, if you are woried about getting the best service for movies, but a dual Blu-Ray/HD-DVD player. That way you can have either HD format, and DVD, all in one, and no worries about transcoding, download time, studio support, etc.SpruceCaboose
The trouble is such a device doesn't exist. Furthermore, the licensing agreements of both the HD-DVD and BluRay camps prevent member companies from making such a device. It would have to come from a company that is outside either camp.
choasgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 choasgod
Member since 2005 • 5710 Posts

Can't Sony think of anything on their own anymore?

cterry04

[sarcasm]Nope ... all SONY can do is follow Microsoft whom has soo much experience making Moives - Music - TV shows - MP3 players such as Diskman, etc .... after all like SONY could of ever thought that putting TV shows and trailers up on the internet they have been doing for years could be done again on PS3 ...[/sarcasm]
Tamarind_Face

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Tamarind_Face
Member since 2007 • 2270 Posts
[QUOTE="mjarantilla"]How amusing. :D But Microsoft still has a few moves up their sleeves when it comes to digital media. It'll be interesting to see what Sony plans to offer with their store. Since they own their own movie studios and TV production studios and whatnot, will their competitors allow their content to be sold through the PS3, or will they side with Microsoft against Sony? More importantly, will Sony's Video Download service be anywhere near as seamless as the XBL Video Marketplace, or will it just be a simple webpage embedded in the browser that has to be navigated by mouse and keyboard?

Sony's video service will be more successful,why? becasue PS3 has a bigger hardrive(upgradable also) and Sony owns tons of shows and movies. Yeah M$ maybe releasing a new 360 or a new harddrive, but not all 360 owners will not buy another 360. And the new harddrive will cost more than a $100.
jackassultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jackassultima
Member since 2005 • 1048 Posts

[QUOTE="Me-Ur-Daddy"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="GsSanAndreas"]Sony is in the movie buisness, Microsoft is in the Pc buisness, i think sony will do better with the videosmjarantilla

Yeah, and how's Sony's MP3 player doing, hm? Come off it. Everything falls before the iPod.

MASSIVE DAMAGE!

Sony Eriksson Walkman phones are set to overtake iPods in sales this year!

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mjarantilla
[QUOTE="Tamarind_Face"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"]How amusing. :D But Microsoft still has a few moves up their sleeves when it comes to digital media. It'll be interesting to see what Sony plans to offer with their store. Since they own their own movie studios and TV production studios and whatnot, will their competitors allow their content to be sold through the PS3, or will they side with Microsoft against Sony? More importantly, will Sony's Video Download service be anywhere near as seamless as the XBL Video Marketplace, or will it just be a simple webpage embedded in the browser that has to be navigated by mouse and keyboard?

Sony's video service will be more successful,why? becasue PS3 has a bigger hardrive(upgradable also) and Sony owns tons of shows and movies. Yeah M$ maybe releasing a new 360 or a new harddrive, but not all 360 owners will not buy another 360. And the new harddrive will cost more than a $100.

Sony owns tons of shows and movies. So? That just means they have a legal right to those shows, but it doesn't mean they have the capability to convert them all into a format that's viable for digital distribution. It's a huge task, and none of the other movie studios actually have any capability of this type. They all have to call upon third-party companies to help them convert everything to digital. Even beyond that, does Sony have a media format that works even half as well as WMV for digital distribution? Do they even have encoding software that's refined enough and powerful enough to perform the encodes without screwing up the video quality with errors? I know you'll probably just brush all this off as insignificant, or you'll claim that WMV is crap and that whatever format Sony uses is better, despite the fact that Microsoft has been working on WMV for close to ten years, that it's being used for HD-DVD, BluRay, and pretty much all streaming video on the Internet, and that Sony has had almost no success whatsoever in creating and supporting digital media formats.
ragrdoll21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ragrdoll21
Member since 2006 • 6048 Posts
[QUOTE="DaysAirlines"]Sony owns Columbia Pictures, they have better movies.GazzaB

:roll: of course they do

They where tthe #1 studio  @ the box office last year. http://www.ksbitv.com/entertainment/4857721.html
trasherhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 trasherhead
Member since 2005 • 3058 Posts
They also own MGM who has tons of stuff.
Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts
So whats the point of B-R if you can just download movies off PSN? Just asking, because they could have made the PS3 a lot cheaper and still offered access to HD format movies.
HazeNPopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 HazeNPopes
Member since 2007 • 735 Posts
Ipod > Zune
trasherhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#44 trasherhead
Member since 2005 • 3058 Posts

Then I'll remind you that Sony Ericsson's Walkman phones are the most popular MP3 mobile phones.
ramey70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ramey70
Member since 2006 • 4002 Posts
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]Look, if you are woried about getting the best service for movies, but a dual Blu-Ray/HD-DVD player. That way you can have either HD format, and DVD, all in one, and no worries about transcoding, download time, studio support, etc.HuusAsking
The trouble is such a device doesn't exist. Furthermore, the licensing agreements of both the HD-DVD and BluRay camps prevent member companies from making such a device. It would have to come from a company that is outside either camp.

Where have you been? LG officially announced the dual BD/HD-DVD player at CES this year.
Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#46 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts
[QUOTE="HuusAsking"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]Look, if you are woried about getting the best service for movies, but a dual Blu-Ray/HD-DVD player. That way you can have either HD format, and DVD, all in one, and no worries about transcoding, download time, studio support, etc.ramey70

Where have you been? LG officially announced the dual BD/HD-DVD player at CES this year.

Yeah, but with a $2k price tag, that LG combo HD video player is still out of reach for most consumers. Its only a matter of time before either one format fades away, or the combo players drop to $500.
ramey70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ramey70
Member since 2006 • 4002 Posts
[QUOTE="ramey70"][QUOTE="HuusAsking"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]Look, if you are woried about getting the best service for movies, but a dual Blu-Ray/HD-DVD player. That way you can have either HD format, and DVD, all in one, and no worries about transcoding, download time, studio support, etc.Darth matt

Yeah, but with a $2k price tag, that LG combo HD video player is still out of reach for most consumers. Its only a matter of time before either one format fades away, or the combo players drop to $500.

You need your eyes checked. It's $1,199, not $1,999.
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mjarantilla
So whats the point of B-R if you can just download movies off PSN? Just asking, because they could have made the PS3 a lot cheaper and still offered access to HD format movies.Darth matt
Digital distribution is an ideal format for impulse movie rentals, but BluRay, like DVD, is mainly for ownership.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
[QUOTE="Darth matt"]So whats the point of B-R if you can just download movies off PSN? Just asking, because they could have made the PS3 a lot cheaper and still offered access to HD format movies.mjarantilla
Digital distribution is an ideal format for impulse movie rentals, but BluRay, like DVD, is mainly for ownership.

ownership for movies and music is going extinct. you don't own the music or movie. you only license it. the ultimate goal for these companies is to have you pay every time you listen/watch anything.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#50 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
I believe Sony, because of their postition in the movie/tv world, can secure more videos and TV shows than M$ can.