So after 4 years of dominating, is the Wii "fad" finally over?

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Zune_HD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Zune_HD
Member since 2010 • 1144 Posts

In regards to being the mainstream video game juggernaut. This is not a qualitative analysis, whether you like the Wii or Nintendo games, but the future doesn't look too bright. Here's why:

The 3DS: Nintendo is not a big company. They have small, dedicated internal teams. With the 3DS push, could one say that many of the key Nintendo teams--the Zelda Team, after finishing SS and EAD Tokyo, who can be working on anything, with Miyamoto hinting on 3D Mario on the 3DS, could Nintendo's dev teams already moving onto the 3DS.

The Wi___ line: The Wii____ line has been gangbusters for Nintendo. With the exception of WiiMusic, they sold millions worldwide, however, the most recent--Wii Party didn't even chart on NPD. I hear it did respectably in Japan and I'm not aware of Europe's reception. But such a big drop off in a such a tentpole line seems troubling for Nintendo.

Competing mindshare from Move and Kinect: Now that the HD twins have some form of motion control, Sony and MS have essentially created a diversion for prospective, new customers. Would a gaming layperson, who has no idea about NPD, gaming sites, etc, easily be swayed away from a potential Wii purchase for a 360 with Kinect or a PS3, with additional BR functionality?

Again, this discussion is not about whether you like the Wii or not, but to see if this is a trend and what does this means for the industry.

Furthermore, even if sales drop to hell. Nintendo's strategy was brilliant. They became relevant again, avoiding obscuring that could've have easily happened after the Gamecube. They've shown everyone that a new market exist and can be catered to with great results and they've positioned themselves nicely for the next generation.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50663 Posts

A fad doesn't last for 4 years... and it's still selling really well as well as getting incredible software.

Zune_HD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Zune_HD

A fad doesn't last for 4 years... and it's still selling really well as well as getting incredible software.

Chutebox
It was sarcasm.
dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

What new martekt was started? casual gaming has been around for a long time.. its what made the ps1/ps2 so popular.

xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts

Its still selling well even if its not as well as before and the lead that it has over the other two consoles it can afford a slowdown in sales. The Wii has already won this generation in terms of sales. The next generation of video game consoles is expected to begin sometime within the next 2-3 years, the 360 and the PS3 have no chance of catching up or passing the Wii in terms of sales with 2-3 years.

nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nintendo-4life
Member since 2004 • 18281 Posts
A) Nintendo was never irrelevent. B) 4 Years is good for a generation. C) Expect Nintendo hardware to get revamped in 2011 (I don't know why but I just feel it.)
OniStrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 OniStrat
Member since 2003 • 1800 Posts

Nintendo is not a big company.

Zune_HD

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Nintendo bigger than all of Sony (not just SCE but the whole company)? I remember reading that somewhere maybe a week ago.

Tropictrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Tropictrain
Member since 2010 • 4863 Posts

I don't think the new generation of casual gamer will be swayed easily by the move and kinect. Nintendo is a name that resonates much easier with the casual market since it's been around so much longer. Even my grandparents knew what Nintendo was. (And they all own Wiis now by the way.) But if I mentioned an X-box or a Playstation, they would have no clue what I'm talking about. People generally prefer the familiar, and this effect is even stronger if you can't be bothered to do too much additional research. This is why Nintendo pulled this off so well, and I'm willing to bet that if Sony or Microsoft tried the same tactic at the launch of their consoles they would not have had as much success.

Zune_HD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Zune_HD

[QUOTE="Zune_HD"]

OniStrat

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Nintendo bigger than all of Sony (not just SCE but the whole company)? I remember reading that somewhere maybe a week ago.

I meant in terms of divisions. Sony is a electronic/media company while Nintendo is strictly games.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

[QUOTE="Zune_HD"]

OniStrat

Nintendo are worth more, but are a much smaller company in terms of employees and revenue

(or at least were, Sony may have passed them again thanks to Stringer and slumping Wii sales)

J-WOW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 J-WOW
Member since 2010 • 3105 Posts
Dominating in wat? sales? HAHAHAHAHAHA!
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
Dominating in wat? sales? HAHAHAHAHAHA! J-WOW
As crazy as it sounds, they are.
J-WOW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 J-WOW
Member since 2010 • 3105 Posts
[QUOTE="J-WOW"]Dominating in wat? sales? HAHAHAHAHAHA! tagyhag

but I care not for sales
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 tagyhag
[QUOTE="tagyhag"][QUOTE="J-WOW"]Dominating in wat? sales? HAHAHAHAHAHA! J-WOW

but I care not for sales

That's nice, this is a sales thread.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
Competing mindshare from Move and Kinect: Now that the HD twins have some form of motion control, Sony and MS have essentially created a diversion for prospective, new customers. Would a gaming layperson, who has no idea about NPD, gaming sites, etc, easily be swayed away from a potential Wii purchase for a 360 with Kinect or a PS3, with additional BR functionality?Zune_HD
this is a common misconception. it's not just the motion that attracted the so called "casuals". the price is also an issue. so a wii with wii sports and wii sports resort (which, to the "layperson", counts as 5 games + 12 games = 17 games in total) costs $199, while a PS3 with move and a game/game compilation or an X360 with kinect and a game/game compilation costs much more (not gonna look for exact numbers because it's not really needed). plus, most "casual gamers" already got their hands on a wii, they're not going to give up on it and spend money on a whole new console + accessories + games. sony and microsoft are basically fighting nintendo over the not-so-big portion of the casual market that hasn't got their hands on a wii yet.
LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 LaytonsCat
Member since 2010 • 3652 Posts

Nintendo has different teams for different consoles so your needing the wii devs to make 3DS games is wrong. For example when the first Zelda team is done with SS it will most likely start on the next gen console game. When the second zelda team is done with OoT3D they will likely make a new 3DS zelda

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts
The fad will continue when Ninty drops the price.
amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 amaneuvering
Member since 2009 • 4809 Posts

I think the Wii's still got some life in it yet.

real45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 real45
Member since 2006 • 548 Posts

Anybody know how much Nintendo made in profit this generation. I guessing its somewhere between 5 to 8 billion.

Sp4rtan_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Sp4rtan_3
Member since 2010 • 3495 Posts

Chutebox
Pretty much this. Anyone who calls a wii a fad is purely a fanboy.
mattuk69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mattuk69
Member since 2009 • 3050 Posts

I thought Next Gen consoles are more of a "fad". It was like have a HDTV then you need to buy a console. Or if you have a next gen console you need to buy a HDTV.

ChaltierX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ChaltierX
Member since 2009 • 1128 Posts

Never recall the Wii being a fad.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

The Wii has a lot of awsome games, 4 years is not a fad.

kontejner44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kontejner44
Member since 2006 • 2025 Posts

Well what is said is valid but you could speculate the other way. How many times has Nintendo surprised us this gen? 2009 didn't look good untill NSMBW etc.

If they have found a great way to apply the Vitality Sensor concept then that's their 2011 killer app and lets face it every year can't be 2010 in terms of core software. It's only going to slow down from here, that's a given, we are past the middle point of the lifespan.

Rahnyc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Rahnyc4
Member since 2005 • 6660 Posts
yeah, that fad is like the second best selling console this year and thats with out a couple of price drops and the wii still havent gone through a new remastered version, like the xbox 360 and ps3. the wii still looks the same as it looked back when it launched.
T_REX305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 T_REX305
Member since 2010 • 11304 Posts

Wii still has a lot of in it

crippled_ram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 crippled_ram
Member since 2010 • 1583 Posts
It's not a fad, it's an awesome system, BUT it will slow down from here. Whereas the quality of its game titles can only go up (going by the evidence that the unrelenting 2010 lineup provides us all with), it will lose its retail steam, it was bound to happen sometime, and honestly, four years of dominating the market so totally is unprecedented.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

Its not going to dominate anymore but its selling fine.

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#29 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

The Wii is a good system, although motion control is largely a gimmick. A regular controller dominates motion control any day.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BrunoBRS

The Wii is a good system, although motion control is largely a gimmick. A regular controller dominates motion control any day.

MathMattS
try that in an FPS and see how long you last.
shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 shinrabanshou
Member since 2009 • 8458 Posts

Are you the same person who posted this on Neogaf? Or did you just copy it... :/

Wii4Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Wii4Fun
Member since 2008 • 1472 Posts

MathMattS

Sometimes it seems like some people were expecting dual analog controls to stay in gaming forever.

Dilrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Dilrod
Member since 2003 • 4257 Posts

Chutebox
There is no time limit on a fad. A fad lasts until the novelty wears off. Such a steep decline of sales/interest are indicators of a fad.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#34 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

Dilrod

There is no time limit on a fad. A fad lasts until the novelty wears off. Such a steep decline of sales/interest are indicators of a fad.

So this means the PS2 is a fad.

lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#35 lettuceman44
Member since 2005 • 7971 Posts
If the Wii is a fad, then what is the Xbox and Ps3? A lesser fad?
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="Dilrod"][QUOTE="Chutebox"]

LegatoSkyheart

So this means the PS2 is a fad.

no, it means everything is a fad. *facepalms at the quote inside the quoted post*
Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

4 years of dominating... in a children/parent market that nobody here cares about?

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

I hope so

kontejner44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 kontejner44
Member since 2006 • 2025 Posts

MathMattS

You like math? apply some logic here and realize that this is a sales thread :P

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BrunoBRS

4 years of dominating... in a children/parent market that nobody here cares about?

Mr_BillGates
yeah, a market nobody here except everybody here cares about.
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 tagyhag

I hope so

finalstar2007
That's kind of weird. :P I hope you're not a fan of Monopolies. Imagine having to pay over $1000 for your PS3? :lol:
TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TheColbert
Member since 2008 • 3846 Posts
I would say the Wii is still dominating now. They won this generation for sure.
ironman388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ironman388
Member since 2006 • 1454 Posts

[QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

I hope so

tagyhag

That's kind of weird. :P I hope you're not a fan of Monopolies. Imagine having to pay over $1000 for your PS3? :lol:

do you even know what a monopoly is?

crippled_ram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 crippled_ram
Member since 2010 • 1583 Posts

[QUOTE="tagyhag"][QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

I hope so

ironman388

I'm pretty sure tagy has a nice idea, considering her post actually made some sense.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#45 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

If you want to understand what's happening in the industry, read up about Nintendo's blue ocean strategy, and that article by that maelstrom fellow.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#46 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

well if its over it was good times... lolz were had by many...

the 60's fad was over... the 70's had multiple fads.. thats life.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 tagyhag

[QUOTE="tagyhag"][QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

I hope so

ironman388

Why did the PS3 drop its price this generation?
caryslan2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 caryslan2
Member since 2005 • 2486 Posts

The Wii is really in no danger of totally collapsing anytime soon. Honestly, all Nintendo needs to do is lower the price and release a key game like New Super Mario Brothers Wii 2 and you will see sales rise again. I would assume there are a good amount of people who want to play the exclusives that the Wii offers, but are unwilling to jump in due to its current price.

Move and Kinect arrived too late to reverse the Wii's lead for this this generation. Even if they are successful, Nintendo simply needs to drop the price, time a major release to coincide with the drop, and essentially undercut both the Kincect and Move before they get any real chance to get a foothold in the market. The one advantage the Wii holds over both the PS3 and the 360 is the fact that the Wiimote is the default controller of the system. Even if you consider the bundles that incluse the Move with the PS3 and Kinect with the 360, they would have a difficult time selling if the Wii drops to the $99 dollar price range

I know people love to write Nintendo off at the first chance they get, but Nintendo has plenty of options left to ensure the Wii keeps selling.

Lethalhazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49 Lethalhazard
Member since 2009 • 5451 Posts
Mmmm, if the zelda game is good, I don't care. I doubt it will be though because I'm afraid they'll be making it as easy as TP :(. and motion controls blow.
Jelley0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Jelley0
Member since 2009 • 1867 Posts

[QUOTE="ironman388"]

[QUOTE="tagyhag"] That's kind of weird. :P I hope you're not a fan of Monopolies. Imagine having to pay over $1000 for your PS3? :lol:tagyhag

Why did the PS3 drop its price this generation?

Seeming that he questioned if you knew what a monoply is or not meaning your post didn't match his meaning of monoply, then he obviously think Monoploy is only a board game ;)