Smaller developers leaving XBLA/PSN. Too expensive and closed up.

• 111 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#101 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11699 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"][QUOTE="FPSDad1161"] Is that just for retail and XBLA games or indie games as well?OhSnapitz

I would assume for any game. I know developers get the first three patches for free. After that, they have to pay $40,000. No wonder why you see XBLA games get the drop in support. Monday Night Combat started up as a 360 game, quickly to be abandoned when the PC version was released. Now the sequel is a PC exclusive.

Would that not be incentive for the devs to release a finished product.. :| I'm not saying I support M$/Sony on this one.. but there have been entirely too many games released this gen (on All Platforms) that REQUIRES patching.. Some even day 1. That should be unacceptable to us gamers.

While I would agree, you do have to take into consider that many smaller developers do not have enough resources to keep beta testing games and working on them for too long. It costs a lot of money to run that.

Also, it is quite impossible to have a public beta testing or have a pre-sell sales. On PC is quite popular nowadays for smaller developers to sell a game (for lower than full price) while it is in Beta, so gamers can help the developers beta test the game before a full release is done.

Also, beta testing on PC is much easier since you can patch up a game while it is released super easy without the need to jump through hoops. Smaller developers would need to hire an army of testers, which they can not.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

[QUOTE="OhSnapitz"]

[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"] I would assume for any game. I know developers get the first three patches for free. After that, they have to pay $40,000. No wonder why you see XBLA games get the drop in support. Monday Night Combat started up as a 360 game, quickly to be abandoned when the PC version was released. Now the sequel is a PC exclusive.ShadowDeathX

Would that not be incentive for the devs to release a finished product.. :| I'm not saying I support M$/Sony on this one.. but there have been entirely too many games released this gen (on All Platforms) that REQUIRES patching.. Some even day 1. That should be unacceptable to us gamers.

While I would agree, you do have to take into consider that many smaller developers do not have enough resources to keep beta testing games and working on them for too long. It costs a lot of money to run that.

Also, it is quite impossible to have a public beta testing or have a pre-sell sales. On PC is quite popular nowadays for smaller developers to sell a game (for lower than full price) while it is in Beta, so gamers can help the developers beta test the game before a full release is done.

Also, beta testing on PC is much easier since you can patch up a game while it is released super easy without the need to jump through hoops. Smaller developers would need to hire an army of testers, which they can not.

I see your point... however I stand by mine. If I'm playing a game I purchased and all of a sudden I get stuck inside the wall on lvl 13 and have to restart.. I don't want to hear "we didn't have enough money for testers".. Then maybe you should've held back your product for a bit longer.. as I don't see them refunding any money.. or maybe I'm wrong about that last bit.. Have any of you been refunded money because a product faulted after release? Let's ask some of the PS3 skyrim players..
TH1Sx1SxSPARTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 TH1Sx1SxSPARTA
Member since 2011 • 1852 Posts
[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

They mean that they want to make an unfinished game and then patch it ?

That is only happening on PC, why even talk about it like they did not know consoles have high standards ?

dont you ever get tired of making yourself look like an idiot?
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
I agree out of principle too. The PC is the natural home for indie games.ActionRemix
That it is. Closed systems like...consoles...won't be a home for the indie scene. They won't harbour innovative games that only indie developers can bring. No, they cannot, for they are consoles and therefore closed.
Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#105 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

Games will continue to come to Steam and the App Store, whereas consoles will continue to decline until tablet completely replaces those useless junks.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

It's a shame but it's true. Indie games thrive on PC, specifically Steam, because of the open nature of the platform. Hopefully Sony and MS learn from this in the future.

AcidSoldner
Let us not forget Desura. Gotta encourage some competition. :)
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#107 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator  Online
Member since 2004 • 49595 Posts
Come to Steam and Impulse then!
whitey_rolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#108 whitey_rolls
Member since 2006 • 2547 Posts

Geez all my pc gaming brothers on here really dropped the ball on the big budget exclusive for non rts/mmo games.

Guys Diablo 3 coming out soon, not an MMO or RTS and pretty sure the budget is quite large.

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

Geez all my pc gaming brothers on here really dropped the ball on the big budget exclusive for non rts/mmo games.

Guys Diablo 3 coming out soon, not an MMO or RTS and pretty sure the budget is quite large.

whitey_rolls

They really screwed the pooch didn't they?

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#110 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

[QUOTE="pelvist"]

[QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

Okay, non-MMO or RTS big budget PC exclusive.

p4s2p0

Because you dont get any of those genre worth mentioning on consoles they dont count? Honestly a single free to play MMO can have more gameplay/fun/content and keep you playing longer than all of the in house developed games for PS3 or 360 combined.

But not everyone is intrested in MMO's

"But not everyone" does not = EVERYONE. There are more than a few million people that are interested, ...obviously.

Not everyone is interested in sloppy rehashed first person shooters or Kinekt games either.

Consolites say MMOS and RTS dont count because they dont have any good ones on consoles, its as simple as that. Another one of the many strong points of PC that cant count as a pluss for the platform because they are pretty much none existant on consoles, just like mods and games that arent available on to them.

wakefulness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#111 wakefulness
Member since 2010 • 3989 Posts

Hopefully, Playstation Suite can offer a happy medium. PS Suite is open (currently in private beta) and is available on more than a single hardware.