Sledgehammer: Modern Warfare 3 Not a 'Cut and Paste'

• 197 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#1 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

With a new installment of Call of Duty coming out each year, the franchise has attracted its fair share of critics. Many of the most vocal accuse each game of simply repeating the formula of its predecessor, "cutting and pasting" the previous version and making only small changes. According to Sledgehammer Games general manager Glen Schofield, this isn't the case.

In a new interview with CVG, Schofield asserts that this couldn't be further from the truth.

"If you put Modern Warfare 2 next to Modern Warfare 3 you would see a huge difference," he said. "Look at all the character models, look at all the gun models, look at the reflections, look at the water. There is so much that we've added, so when someone says 'cut and paste', I don't even want to talk to them because they don't know. They just don't know. They have no idea."

Schofield added that the engine is "a Porsche," calling it more impressive than engines he's worked with previously.

"I've worked on a lot of engines over my lifetime and spent a lot of time putting graphics in to them and this thing is Porsche," he said, "and what I mean by that is that it is stream-lined, everything in it is perfectly freaking clean. You can tell it's been worked on for years. It's easy to upgrade."

"On top of that you have what we added to the audio engine. Then there's a lot of stuff under the hood. People don't think about this but when you make your tools better and you can iterate twice as many times, you make the game better."

Still, he said that gameplay is the primary focus, not just graphics.

"I've said this before - I'm not shipping an engine, I'm shipping a game. So that's why I'm going to talk about the game. You can talk about your engine all you want. It's not fun."

Schofield also discussed game's lack of an open beta, saying that Call of Duty XP sufficed since so many players were able to try out the game.

"This game is so big between the campaign, the Spec-Ops and the multiplayer, there was so much work to do that I don't know whether [a beta] hit anyone's mind or not," he said. "We had XP and XP was in itself a way for 1,000s of people to play the game and for us to look over their shoulder and see how they were doing and how they liked it and that was really good."

The full interview is available on CVG.

Modern Warfare 3 hits stores on November 8th.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/120/1200637p1.html

I think if they put more effort in COD then people would bash it has much.

eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts
ill find out Nov. 8th when i redbox the game
Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

:lol: yeah right. Certainly looks that way.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Its Call of Duty which means a day 1! dont care if its a copy and paste or even a DLC. the biggest FPS of the year is almost here! :cry:.. cant wait :oops:

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#5 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Newsflash for Sledgehammer, it takes more than better graphcis for a game not to be cut and paste.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Newsflash for Sledgehammer, it takes more than better graphcis for a game not to be cut and paste.

turtlethetaffer
they can't even manage the graphics part :lol:
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

Glen Schofield's doing a good job at making me hate him. Everytime he opens his mouth, he just makes himself sound like an even bigger ass.

Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

Which is why MW3 needs to flop so that these big-mouthed developers can keep their flapping traps shut.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
:lol: Yeah... ok.... keep telling yourself that Sledgehammer.
Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

"If you put Modern Warfare 2 next to Modern Warfare 3 you would see a huge difference," he said. "Look at all the character models, look at all the gun models, look at the reflections, look at the water. There is so much that we've added, so when someone says 'cut and paste', I don't even want to talk to them because they don't know. They just don't know. They have no idea."

So the "huge difference" is a few graphical tweaks? Really?

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 turtlethetaffer

So the "huge difference" is a few graphical tweaks? Really?

organic_machine

Exactly what I said.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
Aaaargh, I was going to post this, but GS wouldn't let me... Have fun with this gonna-be-huge topic TC. :P
peterw007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 peterw007
Member since 2005 • 3653 Posts

Too bad Infinity Ward is dead...and Sledgehammer is just riding off of the massive success that Infinity Ward created.

Let's see you actually introduce novel gameplay ideas, Sledgehammer, instead of making up nonsensical excuses for why your critics' opinions are invalid.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 turtlethetaffer

Too bad Infinity Ward is dead...and Sledgehammer is just riding off of the massive success that Infinity Ward created.

Let's see you actually introduce novel gameplay ideas, Sledgehammer, instead of making up nonsensical excuses for why your critics' opinions are invalid.

peterw007

"This game is different because graphics."

That's more or less what he said.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60722 Posts
Really though with the sales they way they are, why would they change?
walkingdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 walkingdream
Member since 2009 • 4883 Posts

Note to sledgehammer

Look at the difference between BC2 and BF3 that's how you make a sequal. Not only Graphics but animations, scale more options everything is upgraded.

Crystal-Rush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Crystal-Rush
Member since 2005 • 2274 Posts
It certainly looks like a cut and paste job. MW3 looks like it was completed 4 years ago when COD 4 came out.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
Member since 2007 • 11536 Posts

from what i've seen, it looks exactly like a copy and paste, but im going to buy it anyway :P

telefanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 telefanatic
Member since 2007 • 3008 Posts

When will people get sick of playing the same game every year i dont know. But when they do call me.

Avatar image for soiheardyoulike
soiheardyoulike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 soiheardyoulike
Member since 2008 • 724 Posts

If the game didnt look like one then people would not be saying this left and right and he would not need to come out and deny it.

eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts

If the game didnt look like one then people would not be saying this left and right and he would not need to come out and deny it.

soiheardyoulike

that pretty much sums it up

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20242 Posts

He won't talk about the engine because the engine is copy paste. The other features are somewhat new. I don't care what he says, the "game" is the engine. You can't have a game without an engine.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

Note to sledgehammer

Look at the difference between BC2 and BF3 that's how you make a sequal. Not only Graphics but animations, scale more options everything is upgraded.

walkingdream
BF3 isn't a sequel to BC2. BC is a totally different series than BF 1942, 2142, 2, and 3. However it's still a nice sequel to 2.
djsifer01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 djsifer01
Member since 2005 • 7238 Posts
That great. Still no way im ever buying another COD game. FPS games are a dime a dozen and im sick of them.
Skreltch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Skreltch
Member since 2011 • 227 Posts

Q - does it still have horrid, embarrasing, generic, cheesey, rancid shooting mechanics a 3 year old can master?

A - "Yes"

ok, Ill be playing Battlefield...have fun.

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#26 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

Note to sledgehammer

walkingdream
BF3 is the sequel to BF2. The scale is about the same, maybe even smaller. If Caspian Border is the largest map, then I think Dragon Valley in BF2 was a lot larger than that. So what have they upgraded? Graphics and animations?
viper-kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 viper-kid
Member since 2007 • 811 Posts

This is the first Cod which I feel like they are not changing much since that campaign trailer which showed the exact same set pieces as MW2. Then Multi trailer showed no evolution either. IW was good now this sledgehammer dev will ruin modern warfare games.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 millerlight89

[QUOTE="walkingdream"]

Note to sledgehammer

MyopicCanadian

BF3 is the sequel to BF2. The scale is about the same, maybe even smaller. If Caspian Border is the largest map, then I think Dragon Valley in BF2 was a lot larger than that. So what have they upgraded? Graphics and animations?

Where does it say Caspian is the largest? The shooting mechanics are also different, as are the classes. So no dice. Let's not forget the massive leap in custimization.

RedHound5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 RedHound5
Member since 2007 • 40 Posts

I'm buying it, but that's bullcrap Sledgehammer... We know exactly what were getting with COD4.2

mlbslugger86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mlbslugger86
Member since 2004 • 12867 Posts

So, their Best Defense of the Fact That MW3 isn't cut and paste is "Look At the Water??:lol:

oh god don't let this Be 65 dollars wasted

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

[QUOTE="walkingdream"]

Note to sledgehammer

MyopicCanadian

Dice never said it was

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
I don't think the game is a cut and paste like some people say. But I would say they should add more to it.
cabose38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 cabose38
Member since 2005 • 1162 Posts

ill find out Nov. 8th when i redbox the gameeboyishere

Me too.

Goro69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Goro69
Member since 2011 • 98 Posts
Of course it's a copy and paste job, There's nothing different between this game and Modern Warfare 2, just like there's no difference at all between the Iphone 3 and 4. The people who buy this stuff make me laugh.
Cheesehead9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 Cheesehead9099
Member since 2008 • 2849 Posts

And the earth is not round.

famunda666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 famunda666
Member since 2010 • 167 Posts

All I got from that was blah, blah, blah, we lie for activision. blah, blah, blah, we say its not cut and paste because 12 yr old tweens and casual idiots who buy this game believe us, blah, blah, blah, Activision pays us in coke and whores, so we can keep a straight face while we lie to you.

I seriously can't wait until CoD plummets to the bottom of a New Jersey pond covered in sewage and frog S*** just like a few other activision games....Tony hawk *cough* Guitar Hero *cough*

Call it extreme I don't care I have been burned by too many bad CoD games. And every FPS game tries to replicate CoD now days....the game sucks I dont get it. Leave it to the casuals though to lap up a game the is inferior to everything else out there.

I hope activision, Sledgehammer, infinityward, and treyarch all die of the plauge.

zeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 zeta
Member since 2003 • 1189 Posts

The only answer to their damage control is.... IW engine. There is nothing drastic being done to the engine that technically has been used since CoD1 (id Tech 3 aka Quake III or IW 1.5). Improvements, yes. Of course! Is it enough to constitute that it doesn't look like a cut and paste? IMO, no.

That's not neccessarily a bad thing either considering it's obviously not hindering on the core casual gameplay. Come November, we can really comment on these claims on both sides.

Goro69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Goro69
Member since 2011 • 98 Posts
The same engine used in Call of Duty 1 is the same engine being used by Modern Warfare 3, people don't even get it. Every game in the franchise since the original has been a copy and paste with new guns, maps and graphics.
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 millerlight89
The same engine used in Call of Duty 1 is the same engine being used by Modern Warfare 3, people don't even get it. Every game in the franchise since the original has been a copy and paste with new guns, maps and graphics.Goro69
Not true, Cod 3 to 4 was a huge leap in MP.
zeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 zeta
Member since 2003 • 1189 Posts

[QUOTE="Goro69"]The same engine used in Call of Duty 1 is the same engine being used by Modern Warfare 3, people don't even get it. Every game in the franchise since the original has been a copy and paste with new guns, maps and graphics.millerlight89

Call of Duty 3 did not use the IW engine. It used Treyarch's NGL.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 millerlight89

[QUOTE="millerlight89"][QUOTE="Goro69"]The same engine used in Call of Duty 1 is the same engine being used by Modern Warfare 3, people don't even get it. Every game in the franchise since the original has been a copy and paste with new guns, maps and graphics.zeta

Call of Duty 3 did not use the IW engine. It used Treyarch's NGL.

Was I talking about graphics?
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

When your game stops having the same scripted campaign and the same messed up multiplayer talk to me glenn.Graphics are one of my worries with MW3, but not my biggest worry.

el3m2tigre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 el3m2tigre
Member since 2007 • 4232 Posts

I saw one of MW2's DLC maps for the first time. I thought it was MW3 footage honest to god :o

Dr_Snood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Dr_Snood
Member since 2008 • 2547 Posts
He's right. MW3 was cut, pasted, and then bolded in certain areas in order to give it a "different" feel from MW2.
AngryJuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 AngryJuice
Member since 2011 • 305 Posts

We know this Sledgehammer. Call of Duty is one of the greatest and most inovative strategy games this gen and brang so many new things to the table. FPS's like Battlefield 3 and Starcraft 2 wish they were as strategic as CoD. MW3 just continues to prove to be the dominatn RPG/FPS/Strategy game.

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

[QUOTE="MyopicCanadian"][QUOTE="walkingdream"]

Note to sledgehammer

lawlessx

Dice never said it was

I guess we'll find out in a week ;)
Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts
Copy and paste or not - I'm probably going to get MW3. Love the gunplay so much, probably the best around at the moment. Plus it'll be fun with friends online.
Moriarity_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Moriarity_
Member since 2011 • 1332 Posts
Same animations, same gameplay, very slightly improved graphics, some new maps with a bunch of recycled maps(willing to be any amount of money the dlc will have recycled maps), some different guns/perks with the majority of them being recycled from older games, and a 4-5 hour campaign with more holes in it than swiss cheese...sounds like a rehash to me.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#49 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Same graphics engine, same textures, same sounds, same guns, same animations...

No copy and paste eh?

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts
Same animations, same gameplay, very slightly improved graphics, some new maps with a bunch of recycled maps(willing to be any amount of money the dlc will have recycled maps), some different guns/perks with the majority of them being recycled from older games, and a 4-5 hour campaign with more holes in it than swiss cheese...sounds like a rehash to me.Moriarity_
Don't get the hate for Call of Duty's singleplayer. It's frantic, fun and over the top - like it aims to be. If i wasn't planning to buy MW3 I'd probably rent it for the SP alone.