Sixaxis is a better value than 360's controller.

• 78 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts
Think about it-- Sixaxis comes with a compact, recahrgeable battery like a newer handheld game system. But with the Xbox 360's wireless controller, you have to pay $15 for the "chager kit" just to get the battery and charge cable, or else you're suck using AAs. PS3's controller only costs you $50 for all the bells and whistles, whereas with 360 you have to spend $65 to get the full Monty.
htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 htekemerald
Member since 2004 • 7325 Posts
*looks at the review ign gave it* LoL
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts
Think about it-- Sixaxis comes with a compact, recahrgeable battery like a newer handheld game system. But with the Xbox 360's wireless controller, you have to pay $15 for the "chager kit" just to get the battery and charge cable, or else you're suck using AAs. PS3's controller only costs you $50 for all the bells and whistles, whereas with 360 you have to spend $65 to get the full Monty.
Timstuff
What's wrong with using AAs? They last for over forty hours. I agree, MS should've included rechargeables, but it's not a huge point when a $3.00 pack of four AAs can last two or three months of playing.
himynameisyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 himynameisyo
Member since 2006 • 785 Posts
IGN thinks differently, and since they have actually used it IGN's opinion>yours.
Avatar image for dark_templar_99
dark_templar_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dark_templar_99
Member since 2005 • 2890 Posts
The suckasses controller isn't very good.   i'd take the wiimote or 360 controller over that any day.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Timstuff
Show me this review that condemns a piece of plastic.
Red_Baron5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Red_Baron5
Member since 2006 • 1522 Posts
Show me this review that condemns a piece of plastic.Timstuff
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/738/738858p2.html Personally, we can't help but feel that the SIXAXIS (as it's now known) has been sadly neglected when viewed alongside the rest of the PS3. Compared to Microsoft's uber-comfortable Xbox 360 pad, the SIXAXIS feels cheap, plasticky, uncomfortable and disconcertingly light - almost as if it's going to fly out of your hands during those more extreme gaming moments. More worrying still, the newly-designed lower L and R shoulder triggers feel more like they belong on an early controller prototype than the near-final model. Replicating the 360 pad, rather than being simple shoulder-mounted buttons, the triggers are now hinged horizontally along the controller, with pressure forcing them inward along the bottom - like triggers then, really. Trouble is, they're placed almost unnaturally low meaning we found ourselves operating them by jamming our fingers in between the hinges to apply pressure, rather than using the buttons themselves. What's more, the triggers are convex, with no grooves to keep your fingers in place - an issue further compounded by their smooth finish, offering no resistance against your finger tips. Invariably we found our digits slipping off with the triggers snapping back to their default position. Bah. Of course, the PS2's Dual Shock pad wasn't without its faults either but we still learned to live with it. It's just a shame that Sony hasn't used its resources to bring its controller up to next-gen standards along with its cutting-edge hardware.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Timstuff
Read it in another thread. I also read that Game Informer had a much different take on it, and PSM thought it worked fine. Maybe the IGN guy has weird hands.
kraidiation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kraidiation
Member since 2005 • 6546 Posts
Read it in another thread. I also read that Game Informer had a much different take on it, and PSM thought it worked fine. Maybe the IGN guy has weird hands.Timstuff
PSM thought it was fine? :o I never would have guessed....and GI is one of the (if not the) worst gaming magazines out there. IGN is far more credible than either.
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mjarantilla
Read it in another thread. I also read that Game Informer had a much different take on it, and PSM thought it worked fine. Maybe the IGN guy has weird hands.Timstuff
Or maybe IGN's just more critical? :D I think it'll be ok. But your original point about batteries hardly makes the SixAxis a better deal.
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts
Well... then again when the battery loses charge, you have to buy another controller... instead of a new battery pack.
Avatar image for deactivated-57d773aa56272
deactivated-57d773aa56272

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 deactivated-57d773aa56272
Member since 2006 • 2292 Posts
The Xbox 360's controller has force feedback.
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts

Yeah I'm sure PSM would praise it what else would they do :roll:
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Timstuff
Well... then again when the battery loses charge, you have to buy another controller... instead of a new battery pack. yoshi_64
Or you can just replace the dead battery with a new one, like an intelligent person would. Wait, or were you planning to buy a new DS Lite once the battery on your current one quits?
The Xbox 360's controller has force feedback.Gamertag-TFTW
And PS3 has motion sensors. Apples for Oranges.
kraidiation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kraidiation
Member since 2005 • 6546 Posts
[QUOTE="yoshi_64"]Well... then again when the battery loses charge, you have to buy another controller... instead of a new battery pack. Timstuff
Or you can just replace the dead battery with a new one, like an intelligent person would. Wait, or were you planning to buy a new DS Lite once the battery on your current one quits?

I think he means when the pack starts to lose charge, after 200+ recharges or whatever...happens with most all rechargable batteries ;)
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts
[QUOTE="yoshi_64"]Well... then again when the battery loses charge, you have to buy another controller... instead of a new battery pack. Timstuff

Weren't the batteries built into the remote? I read somewhere they were, and hoped not.
theboxmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 theboxmike
Member since 2005 • 2615 Posts

PSM:lol:

What did u expect from a playstation mag?

i mean the gave killzone a 9:lol:

Avatar image for 212912404065390437547932332930

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 212912404065390437547932332930
Member since 2006 • 401 Posts

*looks at the review ign gave it* LoLhtekemerald

Seriously.

phidelthegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 phidelthegreat
Member since 2006 • 173 Posts
Timstuff
Ive been playing with the dual shock for almost 10 years and while functional no way near comfortable. The 360 controller is the hella comfortable. Owned that and i can get a wired one for 40 and at most playing distances a wire doesnt bother me.
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mjarantilla
[QUOTE="Timstuff"][QUOTE="yoshi_64"]Well... then again when the battery loses charge, you have to buy another controller... instead of a new battery pack. kraidiation

I think he means when the pack starts to lose charge, after 200+ recharges or whatever...happens with most all rechargable batteries ;)

And I think Timstuff means prying open the controller and buying a third-party battery pack instead of buying a brand-new controller.
outsidethewall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 outsidethewall
Member since 2004 • 14750 Posts
Meh. *Goes and recharges AA batteries used for 360 controller for the night*
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Blackbond

If the PS3 battery dies you have to replace the controller you cannot replace the battery.
If a DS battery loses charge you do this for $15.

http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?currency=USD&storeId=10001&jspStoreDir=NOASTORE&productId=108205&categoryId=62209&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&ddkey=SetCurrencyPreference

Sorry its not linked GS is acting funny today
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Timstuff
It works the same way with PS3 controllers as it does with the DS, stop making ridiculous stuff up.
waynehead895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 waynehead895
Member since 2005 • 18660 Posts
When battery life dies, send controller and pay for Sony to replace it. 
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Timstuff
Or do it yourself for the price of a battery and a screwdriver. Did anyone actually send their GBA SPs to Nintendo when their battery needed replacing?
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Blackbond
It works the same way with PS3 controllers as it does with the DS, stop making ridiculous stuff up.Timstuff

Link me to a spare Sixaxis battery pack or find me some proof that the battery can be replacable by convential means or be owned. I'm not making stuff up you are by saying the controller works like the DS when clearly it doesn't and I proved it by linking you to the $15 dollar DS battery. Where is this SixAxis battery? Show me?
waynehead895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 waynehead895
Member since 2005 • 18660 Posts
Or do it yourself for the price of a battery and a screwdriver. Did anyone actually send their GBA SPs to Nintendo when their battery needed replacing?Timstuff
So will sony sell the batteries?
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Timstuff
[QUOTE="Timstuff"]It works the same way with PS3 controllers as it does with the DS, stop making ridiculous stuff up.Blackbond

Link me to a spare Sixaxis battery pack or find me some proof that the battery can be replacable by convential means or be owned. I'm not making stuff up you are by saying the controller works like the DS when clearly it doesn't and I proved it by linking you to the $15 dollar DS battery. Where is this SixAxis battery? Show me?

Provide me with proof that you have to buy a new controller when it dies, or YOU are owned. You are the one in a compromising position, not me. Rechargeable batteries in products have almost always been replaceable. Unless it's welded to the thing's freaking circuitboard, it's replaceable. Now show me that link, before I get impatient.

Sony has replacement batteries for the PSP, so don't act like they're going to start some dopey new trend with the PS3.
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mjarantilla
Provide me with proof that you have to buy a new controller when it dies, or YOU are owned. You are the one in a compromising position, not me. Rechargeable batteries in products have almost always been replaceable. Unless it's welded to the thing's freaking circuitboard, it's replaceable. Now show me that link, before I get impatient.Timstuff
The iPod's battery can't be replaced reasonably speaking. The case is pretty much seamless. The same could be true for the SixAxis, we don't know. If there is a latch through which you can access the battery, like in the DS or PSP, then you're right, you can just replace the battery. But if you need to disassemble the whole damn controller to get at the battery, even if it IS removeable, then you accept ownage. As far as we know right now, you HAVE to replace the controller. That is Sony's official position. (Contrast this with Nintendo's position on the DS battery: you can remove it, but only if it's worn completely out.) Not to mention Sony's always touted the replaceability of batteries, most obviously with the PSP.
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Blackbond
Or do it yourself for the price of a battery and a screwdriver. Did anyone actually send their GBA SPs to Nintendo when their battery needed replacing?Timstuff

Spare GBA SP batteries were always available. I'd usally charge two and carry an extra one just in case. So no you didn't have to send it back because guess what? You could just pull the battery out and insert the spare man.

http://shopping.msn.com/prices/shp/?itemId=20387773
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Timstuff
You still had to unscrew a screw. And you didn't provide a link saying that Sixaxis' battery isn't replaceable. Hurry up or you're owned.
Red_Baron5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Red_Baron5
You still had to unscrew a screw. And you didn't provide a link saying that Sixaxis' battery isn't replaceable. Hurry up or you're owned.Timstuff
http://crunchgear.com/2006/10/19/sixaxis-will-not-offer-replaceable-battery/
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Blackbond
You still had to unscrew a screw. And you didn't provide a link saying that Sixaxis' battery isn't replaceable. Hurry up or you're owned.Timstuff

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/10/18/ps3-controllers-play-and-toss/

There you are. Your ownage has been approved. There is no method or way as of now to change the Six-Axis's battery. All it says is that it hopes that there will be a way. So you better hope something happens to remedy this situation because as of now you are owned.
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Blackbond

Using a phillips head is conventional as far as I'm concerend. Oh and to add insult to injury check below. Welcome to my sig you have now been owned.

http://gaming-edge.blogspot.com/2006/10/sony-clarifies-some-ps3-controller-talk.html
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Timstuff
Sorry, but I'll need some proof that "broadband watch" is a credible source. They also said that the controllers have to be connected via USB cable in order to bind to the console, which reeks a bit of BS if you ask me.
StryderK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 StryderK
Member since 2006 • 3189 Posts

All I can say Timstuff got his ass handed to him!!! And now he's completely gone because of the ownage he recieved!

JESUS! Anyone who did some research will know that the Six-Axis no shock's battery is not changeable since E3. There there were plenty of people who said that the controller lacks a port that allows you access to the batteries. This have been confirmed again and again during subsquent plays by people and Sony's comments now completely iced it and here come Timstuff saying that the batteries were replaceable..........

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Blackbond
Sorry, but I'll need some proof that "broadband watch" is a credible source. They also said that the controllers have to be connected via USB cable in order to bind to the console, which reeks a bit of BS if you ask me.
Timstuff

You recieved three different sources that all said the same thing. Sorry man you have been owned just deal with it. Three sources saying the same thing isn't coincidental.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Timstuff
If the back comes off with a screwdriver, then the battery is replaceable. And I'm sure that as soon as there's need for new batteries, third parties will supply them (assuming Sony does not). If you've never opened up a controller before, then you haven't been gaming very long.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Timstuff
[QUOTE="Timstuff"]Sorry, but I'll need some proof that "broadband watch" is a credible source. They also said that the controllers have to be connected via USB cable in order to bind to the console, which reeks a bit of BS if you ask me.
Blackbond

You recieved three different sources that all said the same thing. Sorry man you have been owned just deal with it. Three sources saying the same thing isn't coincidental.

Three different sites all quoting another site that was translated. Sorry, I'll need something more concrete than that. Consider YOURSELF owned until you prove that the battery is not replaceable.
StryderK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 StryderK

If the back comes off with a screwdriver, then the battery is replaceable. And I'm sure that as soon as there's need for new batteries, third parties will supply them (assuming Sony does not). If you've never opened up a controller before, then you haven't been gaming very long.Timstuff

Yes, you can. But you forgot one simple thing. CONVINENCE! It's simply not very convinente for me or anyone else to have to open up an entire controller to replace the batteries....and if you mess up.......That's why most stuff the do contain batteries have a port that can easily open or close for convinence. Besides, if you ever check out say Nintendo or MS controllers, the screws they use are not regular screw types, making them even harder to open. And the controllers inards, in fact with any electronic devices are extremly delicate. If you don't know what you are doing and you mess up while changing the batteries, then kiss your controller goodbye!

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Blackbond
[QUOTE="Blackbond"][QUOTE="Timstuff"]Sorry, but I'll need some proof that "broadband watch" is a credible source. They also said that the controllers have to be connected via USB cable in order to bind to the console, which reeks a bit of BS if you ask me.
Timstuff

Three different sites all quoting another site that was translated. Sorry, I'll need something more concrete than that. Consider YOURSELF owned until you prove that the battery is not replaceable.

Tell me man. Why do multiple sites claim that the battery isn't replacable and that you have to replace the controller while not one website says you can replace it. You can't defend youself until you show me that the controller battery can be replaced because all the FACTS that I have found disapprove your OPINION.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Timstuff
Only ONE site is claiming that the battery is non-replaceable, and three other sites quoted them. Stop acting like that counts as multiple sources, because it clearly DOES NOT. Also, I would like to know a bit more about the credability of the original site, as well as the poeple who translated it (it was translated by message board junkies, so that doesn't help).

And Sony always uses phillips head screws in their hardware, so it's easy to open up. I've opened up four PS2 controllers to remove junk, and I didn't once "ruin" one of them. If you can screw up something so simple then your gaming skills must not be very good either.
StryderK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 StryderK

[QUOTE="Timstuff"][QUOTE="Blackbond"][QUOTE="Timstuff"]Sorry, but I'll need some proof that "broadband watch" is a credible source. They also said that the controllers have to be connected via USB cable in order to bind to the console, which reeks a bit of BS if you ask me.
Blackbond

Tell me man. Why do multiple sites claim that the battery isn't replacable and that you have to replace the controller while not one website says you can replace it. You can't defend youself until you show me that the controller battery can be replaced because all the FACTS that I have found disapprove your OPINION.

Ummm....Black, forget it! This guy will never admit he got owned. In his little mind, he's so right that even if the facts are staring in his face, he will never admit it and will invent excuses to look like he's right. In fact, to even further assuage his pain, he will keep on saying you got owned no matter what. Even if it comes directly out of KK's mouth.

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Blackbond
Only ONE site is claiming that the battery is non-replaceable, and three other sites quoted them. Stop acting like that counts as multiple sources, because it clearly DOES NOT. Also, I would like to know a bit more about the credability of the original site, as well as the poeple who translated it (it was translated by message board junkies, so that doesn't help).

And Sony always uses phillips head screws in their hardware, so it's easy to open up. I've opened up four PS2 controllers to remove junk, and I didn't once "ruin" one of them. If you can screw up something so simple then your gaming skills must not be very good either.
Timstuff

Okay we will play by your childish rules. I have one source of information saying that the battery can't be replaced and you have none. Opinions don't matter in debates only facts. Until you show me a source of info that proves the battery is replacable you lose, period.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Timstuff
You have no facts. Only a weaksauce article from a questionable Japanese website that was probably translated using bablefish and then fed to three semi-credible gaming websites. And from that you extrapolate that the battery in PS3's controller cannot be removed without a soldering iron and a degree in electronics, and not a simple phillipshead screwdriver.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Timstuff
[QUOTE="Timstuff"]Only ONE site is claiming that the battery is non-replaceable, and three other sites quoted them. Stop acting like that counts as multiple sources, because it clearly DOES NOT. Also, I would like to know a bit more about the credability of the original site, as well as the poeple who translated it (it was translated by message board junkies, so that doesn't help).

Blackbond

Okay we will play by your childish rules. I have one source of information saying that the battery can't be replaced and you have none. Opinions don't matter in debates only facts. Until you show me a source of info that proves the battery is replacable you lose, period.

How about myself? I probably have about as much credability as a mysterious Japanese website that no-one can seem to tell me jack squat about.
Red_Baron5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Red_Baron5
Actually, Sony confirmed that batteries aren't replaceable. They disproved the need to sync the controllers via USB though.
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Blackbond
[QUOTE="Blackbond"][QUOTE="Timstuff"]Only ONE site is claiming that the battery is non-replaceable, and three other sites quoted them. Stop acting like that counts as multiple sources, because it clearly DOES NOT. Also, I would like to know a bit more about the credability of the original site, as well as the poeple who translated it (it was translated by message board junkies, so that doesn't help).

Timstuff

How about myself? I probably have about as much credability as a mysterious Japanese website that no-one can seem to tell me jack squat about.

LOL omfg. Unless you are a publicist or work for some sort of website that covers video games you are not a credible source of info. I will trust the words of people who are AN ACTUAL NEWS PUBLICATION over the words of some fanboy on system wars LOL. So in other words you are admitting that you couldn't find anything to back up your OPINION. Foolish.

reticulate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 reticulate
Member since 2006 • 418 Posts
I find the DualShock uncomfortable, and the 360's controller very comfortable.  So, I don't see how that's better value.

It is up to opinion, I suppose.