Since RDR 2 only got a 9, do God of War, Spiderman, and Forza still have a shot at GOTY?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45105 Posts

I think God of War does for sure, especially once the honeymoon phase of RDR 2 settles in. As for Spiderman, haven't played it yet, but it did get a 9 so it does still have a chance. Forza is an amazing game, but too bad it's a racer, I don't know if that will ever give it credence for GOTY. What do you think, SW? Do these games still have a shot at GOTY against Red Dead Redemption 2?

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

I'd say the RDR2 fever will pass well befor christmas. As a game, RDR2 has turned out to he bland mainstream poo. I'm already bored to death with it.

My current Goty nominee is AC Odyssey.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

Reviews are done by one person. Game of the Year awards are done by a group of people.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

RDR 2 meta score says more awards critics will like it more then those two games. Heck in gamespot staff I bet more people will like RDR 2 more.

I could say I like the combat in GOW but how can that or Spiderman a shallow old checklist open world game compete with that master class. Spiderman score shows that imo its not even in GOW level to get anywhere near RDR 2. Sometimes the silly meta avarage actually shows when what people consider masterpiece arrives.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

I think God of War does for sure, especially once the honeymoon phase of RDR 2 settles in. As for Spiderman, haven't played it yet, but it did get a 9 so it does still have a chance. Forza is an amazing game, but too bad it's a racer, I don't know if that will ever give it credence for GOTY. What do you think, SW? Do these games still have a shot at GOTY against Red Dead Redemption 2?

You say of the dumbest shit on here. if the game is not in the GOTY category then the show is a fraud, its as simple as that.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SolidGame_basic
@i_p_daily said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

You say of the dumbest shit on here. if the game is not in the GOTY category then the show is a fraud, its as simple as that.

Coming from you, that's classic. Forza is one of my GOTY for this year, but in general sports and racing games don't really get much recognition in the GOTY category.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@i_p_daily said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Coming from you, that's classic. Forza is one of my GOTY for this year, but in general sports and racing games don't really get much recognition in the GOTY category.

Neither do superhero games.

Hawkeye44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8 Hawkeye44
Member since 2017 • 237 Posts

Lmao a niche racer that no one cares about will never win GOTY.

RD2 will win most adwards with GOW and Spiderman getting some.

koko-goal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 koko-goal
Member since 2008 • 1122 Posts

Forza will get racing game of the year awards.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts
@henrythefifth said:

I'd say the RDR2 fever will pass well befor christmas. As a game, RDR2 has turned out to he bland mainstream poo. I'm already bored to death with it.

I'll not be touching RDR 2 until/if it comes to PC.

I'm loving AC Odessey but mostly because Alexios is a lot of fun to play, reminds me a lot of Ezio who is, without a doubt, the most entertaining character in the series. Let's be honest though, it's mainstream poo so I'm really wondering how much more mainstream RDR 2 can possibly be?

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Todddow
Member since 2017 • 916 Posts

I've played them all except RDR2, I'm still on ACO, about 100 hours in.

RDR2 has a shot at GOTY, but I'll hold off until I play it. AC Odyssey is my GOTY so far. It just has it all.

LnV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 LnV
Member since 2018 • 151 Posts

I just hope Monster Hunter gets something.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

It'll come down to God of War or Red Dead 2, for sure.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#15 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

At Gamespot any game not Nintendo does not stand a chance this year at GOTY.

So not even sure why you would even think RDR 2 would get GOTY at GameSpot. pretty sure RDR 2 will be crowned GOTY everywhere else except Polygon, Giantbomb and Gamespot.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#16 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts

In 2013, GTAV lost to Zelda ALBW on GS and lost to TLOU on most other sites.

The same thing could happen in 2018, so GOW still has a good chance of beating RDR2.

kenshiro3948

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kenshiro3948
Member since 2018 • 406 Posts

GOTY awards are going to be between GOW and RDR2. I still think GOW will win GOTY on this site.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

God Of War will get it since gaming media hates Rockstar.(Specially with that latest "crunch" news)

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#19  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@kenshiro3948 said:

GOTY awards are going to be between GOW and RDR2. I still think GOW will win GOTY on this site.

You are forgetting the staff´s favorite Octopath , which is my guess as a GOTY even though it got a 8

dark_drag765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dark_drag765
Member since 2005 • 1046 Posts

@hawkeye44: Who knows, would be nice to see Forza Horizon 4 and Spider-Man getting some recognition since pretty much 99% of publications are handing GOTY to RDR2.

I never played the reboot of God of War but I am sure that is a quality game too.

I think a fact that helps Forza Horizon 4 is that it is an arcade racer not a sim

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@i_p_daily said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Actually its not as i'm just making fun of cows for the most part and thus joking to get an angry cow response, and it works almost all the time lol. You on the other hand take this seriously and try to ask serious questions, that for the most part are ok if a little bland, but you always add dumb shit within these questions like the part I put in bold.

Last I looked Forza Horizon 4 is a game and a great one therefore it qualifies, genre should take not part in the decision, and if its not nominated because its a "racing" game, then the GOTY awards has no credibility (did it ever though?)

Maybe they should make an effort to take the best game in each genre, and put those games in the GOTY category and just judge what the best game is from there, but these GOTY awards tend to go to the most "popular" game of the year.

Didn't Overwatch win it last year? and people asked how can a game with no SP win that award, maybe because it was fun.

Since you asked this question, can you tell me what criteria these "judges" use when judging what game has been best of the year, is one of the rules within the criteria no racing games allowed, or are you just talking out of your arse???

Avatar image for deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
Member since 2017 • 1499 Posts
@henrythefifth said:

You're bored to death of it but you said you refuse to buy the game? You're a special kind of stupid; you know that right?

@henrythefifth said:

I actually know few pedantics who refuse to buy the game because of all the anachronisms and other discrepancies they have spotted on the early footages.

It takes all kinds, eh?

Personally I refuse to buy RDR2 at launch because they're gone totally mainstream with it. RDR1 was different, challenging and gritty, RDR2 is easy peasy mainstream for sunday gamers and noobs.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

@dagubot said:
@henrythefifth said:

You're bored to death of it but you said you refuse to buy the game? You're a special kind of stupid; you know that right?

@henrythefifth said:

I actually know few pedantics who refuse to buy the game because of all the anachronisms and other discrepancies they have spotted on the early footages.

It takes all kinds, eh?

Personally I refuse to buy RDR2 at launch because they're gone totally mainstream with it. RDR1 was different, challenging and gritty, RDR2 is easy peasy mainstream for sunday gamers and noobs.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

@boycie: "superhero game" isn't a genre recognized by gaming websites, retailers, or even developers. 3rd person action adventure, however, is, and it has won goty. Given this rdr2 and gow have a good chance. Spiderman, maybe. Gow has a better chance than spiderman and forza horizon.

OliverSnyders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 OliverSnyders
Member since 2017 • 226 Posts

@Jag85 said:

The same thing could happen in 2018, so GOW still has a good chance of beating RDR2.

God of War isn't even close to the love that TLOU got that year. I mean, it's a well liked game for sure, but the reception for TLOU was something else.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#26 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts
@oliversnyders said:
@Jag85 said:

God of War isn't even close to the love that TLOU got that year. I mean, it's a well liked game for sure, but the reception for TLOU was something else.

While it's not getting the same amount of love as TLOU, GOW is still getting a lot of love. In terms of both critic and user scores, GOW is only 1% less than TLOU. After the RDR2 hype wears down, GOW should have a solid shot at taking the crown.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#27 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

I think GoW has a chance. Spider-Man would be a complete joke but it's possible.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

It wouldn't surprise me if GOW still wins alot of the GOTY awards... Sony exclusives tend to receive positive bias from the major outlets (especially ones like GS).

And I still think it's a damn shame that Forza won't be included in most outlets' lists... if Spiderman wins awards over Forza, bias confirmed.

JDubbs7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JDubbs7
Member since 2018 • 7 Posts

GOW is a great game but R* really outdid themselves this time

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

Gamespot has done clickbait Goty before. In 2013 Zelda won over GTAV, Bioshock Infinite and TLoU.

In 2009 they get demons souls over more popular Uncharted 2, CoD MW2, and street fighter 4.

I am confident this year Forza or Smash will get it just to get that free click from sony and Rockstar fans

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

Like always, the GotY will be something I don’t care about so it’ll most likely be Spider-Man or Red Dead or some other crap.

But my real pick? My personal really real pick? Cashman Slots on mobile. Yea, I’m going there. A mobile game, and a slot game to boot. It’s probably been my most played since I click the stupid coins on an hourly basis.

Cashman Slots on my iPhone SE is my pick for GotY. Come and get me!

Avatar image for REVOLUTIONfreak
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#32 REVOLUTIONfreak
Member since 2005 • 18418 Posts

I think RDR2 winning GOTY would just highlight what a weak year this has been for gaming.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SolidGame_basic
@REVOLUTIONfreak said:

I think RDR2 winning GOTY would just highlight what a weak year this has been for gaming.

you related to freedomfreak?

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 poe13
Member since 2005 • 1441 Posts

I just wanted to pop in here. I've played damn close to 300 games in my 20 years of gaming all the way through to the end. I haven't finished Red Dead Redemption 2 yet, but I'm a good 30 hours in now. Part of this is because I just love westerns so much, but I feel like this is the best game I have ever played in my life.

I've been through a lot of the greats according to website lists like Chrono Trigger, FF 6, 7, 9, Earthbound, Shadow of the Colossus, Super Mario 64, Half-Life 1 and 2, Super Mario Bros. 3, Persona 5, etc. and some of my top favorites are Bloodborne, Ocarina of Time, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and The Witcher 3....

but this game....WOW!!! I might be losing my mind, but I feel like this is the pinnacle of gaming. It has everything I want and more.

The hype really paid off for it to me in the end. I will be playing this and replaying it into oblivion.

OliverSnyders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 OliverSnyders
Member since 2017 • 226 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: RDR2 GS review is quite rushed. This was just so poorly constructed and executed.

@Jag85 said:
@oliversnyders said:
@Jag85 said:

While it's not getting the same amount of love as TLOU, GOW is still getting a lot of love. In terms of both critic and user scores, GOW is only 1% less than TLOU. After the RDR2 hype wears down, GOW should have a solid shot at taking the crown.

You're high on GoW. It's worse than God of War 1,2,3. Even those games were not GOTY.

RDR2 is Witcher 3 level game or even better. Rockstar has not done with RDR2 yet.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

@oliversnyders said:

@SolidGame_basic: RDR2 GS review is quite rushed. This was just so poorly constructed and executed.

@Jag85 said:
@oliversnyders said:
@Jag85 said:

You're high on GoW. It's worse than God of War 1,2,3. Even those games were not GOTY.

RDR2 is Witcher 3 level game or even better. Rockstar has not done with RDR2 yet.

Haven't played RDR2 yet. I'm high on GoW as well. Its different and better then 123. I don't think is going to take GOTY away from RDR2 though. GoW is easly a 9 while RDR2 is considered a masterpiece by folks. BOTW level of GOTY there is no way it doesn't win. I'm just here to defend GOW one of the best games this year but not a masterpiece.

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1704 Posts

It's only 9 because it's not an exclusive game. Imagine RDR2 as a Sony/MS/Nintendo exclusive and you have an easy 10.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

If RDR2 doesn't get the GOTY and is beaten by a game already out, I'm ignoring the result. This is the game of the year. Nothing is likely to come out to beat it, and nothing before it has been as good. This game is a 10, and there have been a few 8.5/9s.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

I think all 3 are in with a shout obviously red dead 2 will be favourite. The quality of all 3 deserve to be talked about.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

@anthonyautumns said:

It's only 9 because it's not an exclusive game. Imagine RDR2 as a Sony/MS/Nintendo exclusive and you have an easy 10.

I don't think reviewers think like fanboys on here.

@sakaixx said:

Gamespot has done clickbait Goty before. In 2013 Zelda won over GTAV, Bioshock Infinite and TLoU.

In 2009 they get demons souls over more popular Uncharted 2, CoD MW2, and street fighter 4.

I am confident this year Forza or Smash will get it just to get that free click from sony and Rockstar fans

Demons souls deserved it. I don't think Forza, Smash, Spiderman etc. are really contending with just RDR2 and GOW alone. Maybe they have a shot, but nowhere near those two juggernauts.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

@X_CAPCOM_X said:
@anthonyautumns said:

I don't think reviewers think like fanboys on here.

@sakaixx said:

Demons souls deserved it. I don't think Forza, Smash, Spiderman etc. are really contending with just RDR2 and GOW alone. Maybe they have a shot, but nowhere near those two juggernauts.

Of course demons soul deserves it. Just that its against much popular candidate

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

Smash is gonna get it