Sim City sales exceed 2 million copies

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

If they didn't implement the always online BS which caused issues through out launch they could have actually sold more

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/news/a501111/simcity-sales-exceed-2-million-units-reveals-electronic-arts.html

"In retrospect, our biggest takeaway is that we are lucky that SimCity has an enormous number of loyal fans," EA Labels president Frank Gibeau told VentureBeat. "That first week after launch was really rough - an experience nobody wants to live through again.

"We've sold more than two million units, and the number of people logging in and playing is holding steady. SimCity is a success. However, underestimating demand in the first month was a major miss. We hope that the game and the service we've provided since then meets the fans' high standards."

SimCity's sales figures were confirmed during EA's first quarter financial results. It was also announced that the Battlefield Premium community now exceeds four million members and Origin has reached 50 million users.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
Shame, they did so much right, yet so much wrong at the same time. No terraforming and small cities was the killer to me, not the online requirement.
Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

I could probably name 10 people I know who would have bought it if it weren't for the DRM.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#4 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Think of what it could've sold if DRM (*cough* "constant connectivity") hadn't designed the end product.  Disheartening.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

Keep patting yourself on the back, but I doubt 2 mil was the target goal.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Think of what it could've sold if DRM (*cough* "constant connectivity") hadn't designed the end product.  Disheartening.

Basinboy

Propably not that much more to be honest. It definitely affected the sales, but I doubt it was by more than 10-20%. 

Anyway, it's a nice game. Definitely better than Societies at least. I hope upcoming add-on (which we all know is coming) will upgrade it to SimCity 4 level.

immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#7 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

While 2 million is solid, it could of easily broke twice that and pushed 5 million if didn't have the DRM fiasco.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AdrianWerner

Gxgear

It's been just few months after launch. 2 mln might not be their end game, but the game will be selling well for years to come. It is propably the fastest selling entry in the series anyway.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

I still have not bought it aswell despite it being my most wanted game at the time...it makes you wonder what the actual sales number could have been without all this useless drm crap.

jdt532

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 jdt532
Member since 2003 • 4236 Posts

Too bad there's no offline mode. I love Sim city 4 but I will never buy this game.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gxgear

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

AdrianWerner

It's been just few months after launch. 2 mln might not be their end game, but the game will be selling well for years to come. It is propably the fastest selling entry in the series anyway.

It'll easily increase its sales tenfold by dropping its online DRM.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AdrianWerner

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

Gxgear

Increase? Maybe by 10%, but not much more.

ten fold? Lol.. be real.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Gxgear

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]It's been just few months after launch. 2 mln might not be their end game, but the game will be selling well for years to come. It is propably the fastest selling entry in the series anyway.

AdrianWerner

ten fold? Lol.. be real.

You think 9 out of every 10 people is ok with its online DRM? Right back at ya.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AdrianWerner

You think 9 out of every 10 people is ok with its online DRM? 

Gxgear

I think 9 out of every 10 SimCity players can live with it. I imagine most of SC community doesn't like online DRM, but vast majority of them bought the game anyway.  The people who hate DRM enough to boycott the game are always a small minority.

So when I hear stuff like "tenfold" I can only laugh.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Gxgear

A quick poll in this thrad.....annnnnd my estimate's closer than yours.

What's laughable is your inability to believe that the definitive franchise of a platform can hit double digits in million's copy sold.

ramonnl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ramonnl
Member since 2010 • 769 Posts

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

Gxgear

ten fold? Lol.. be real.

You think 9 out of every 10 people is ok with its online DRM? Right back at ya.

This game isn't pirated yet right?  So I guess their drm worked, pirates want it to get a offline mode... so they can pirate it!

Nanomage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 Nanomage
Member since 2011 • 2371 Posts

What's laughable is your inability to believe that the definitive franchise of a platform can hit double digits in million's copy sold.

Gxgear
If drm and online only was such a big deal for consumers that according to you,it would have sold significantly more if it didn´t have it,then why did Diablo 3 on a matter of a few months became the best selling exclusive title of the whole generation including PC,360 and PS3?
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
I apologize, I bought this.
ramonnl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ramonnl
Member since 2010 • 769 Posts

I apologize, I bought this.ArisShadows

I bought it too, and I like it. Only the first week was horrible (server stuff), after that the game is great.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

Shame, they did so much right, yet so much wrong at the same time. No terraforming and small cities was the killer to me, not the online requirement.MBirdy88

Same, the small city thing was stupid as hell. I didn't buy the game, just played it on a friend's account; so, at least I didn't lose any money on it.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Gxgear

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

Nanomage

If drm and online only was such a big deal for consumers that according to you,it would have sold significantly more if it didn´t have it,then why did Diablo 3 on a matter of a few months became the best selling exclusive title of the whole generation including PC,360 and PS3?

Am I here to try and explain to you the sale differential between 2 games? No. But thank you for pointing out that a good PC game is fully capable of selling over 10 million copies within months of release.

I will say that it's stupidly simple to see why there's a gap in the sale receptions though, hopefully that was a rhetorical question.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AdrianWerner

Gxgear

Your estimate is completely bogus. I thought you were just jokingly bashing Maxis and EA, but if you really belive that tenfold estimate then sorry, you have zero clue about pc market.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46296 Posts

That's really weak for such a huge franchise.

Shame EA and Maxis had to screw everything up, this game had the potential to sell so much more. I'm not even interested in buying it anymore as the servers will be shut down in a few years. I'll stick to other city builders.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
Here's why i didn't buy it and I was hyped: 1. Origin 2. Small cities 3. No single player 4. Always online 5. Crap servers
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AdrianWerner

R4gn4r0k

Umm..what? This is SimCity. Not Sims. Maybe you got those two mixed up. They aren't the same franchise.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

[QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

AdrianWerner

Umm..what? This is SimCity. Not Sims. Maybe you got those two mixed up. They aren't the same franchise.

Simcity is a huge franchise too ...
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 R4gn4r0k

Here's why i didn't buy it and I was hyped: 1. Origin 2. Small cities 3. No single player 4. Always online 5. Crap serversblue_hazy_basic

Exactly, same here. I really enjoyed my time I spent in the beta but the small city size and crappy server system was already apparant in just a few hours of play.

AdrianWerner

Just because the Sims is even bigger doesn't mean Simcity isn't a huge franchise. It's the most famous city building franchise in existence. Before accusing me of mixing up the Sims and Simcity you should get your facts straight yourself ;)

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Gxgear

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

AdrianWerner

Your estimate is completely bogus. I thought you were just jokingly bashing Maxis and EA, but if you really belive that tenfold estimate then sorry, you have zero clue about pc market.

Again, right back at ya. Except, you know, the numbers suggest my ridiculous claim is much closer than yours.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

Here's why i didn't buy it and I was hyped: 1. Origin 2. Small cities 3. No single player 4. Always online 5. Crap serversblue_hazy_basic

Exactly my reasons...and i also do not know anyone that bought this game despite them all wanting it..i'm glad i stuck to my guns...it was the same reson i never bought diablo 3 and did not buy a single ubisoft game for 2 years unless i could get them for a couple of quid.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 R4gn4r0k

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]Here's why i didn't buy it and I was hyped: 1. Origin 2. Small cities 3. No single player 4. Always online 5. Crap serversnaz99

Exactly my reasons...and i also do not know anyone that bought this game despite them all wanting it..i'm glad i stuck to my guns...it was the same reson i never bought diablo 3 and did not buy a single ubisoft game for 2 years unless i could get them for a couple of quid.

Many people boycotted Ubisoft titles and it led to them removing DRM in their new releases. I hope Blizzard and EA will smarten up too. This kind of DRM only ends up biting them in the ass.

Gamers have a lot of alternatives to choose from, so as a company you should motivate people to buy your game instead of trying to screw them over.

Even with all their DRM, the pirates always end up cracking the product in the end. So it's only the legit consumers that ends up getting screwed, and that's not a smart business move.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

"We've sold more than two million units, and the number of people logging in and playing is holding steady. SimCity is a success. However, underestimating demand in the first month was a major miss. We hope that the game and the service we've provided since then meets the fans' high standards."

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUK.

That's a pretty disheartening statement there. The fact that he thinks that the lack of server support was the only problem, not that the game was practically broken when it launched is pretty messed up.

nyzma23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 nyzma23
Member since 2013 • 1003 Posts

i love sim city and i don't care about drm it's a great game 

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

DRM is the least of its problems, the entire game is a developmental mess, they lied about use of cloud storage, the cities are smaller than towns in the sims 3, and the entire mechanics of the simulation is nothing but shitty smoke and mirrors.

chapnzaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#34 chapnzaba
Member since 2005 • 2302 Posts
Simcity 4 is one of my favorite games of All Time. But I'm so afraid of picking this up. I don't want to be heartbroken.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#35 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
It could've been much better.
MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

honestly this game deserve 0 copies, with city size 2x2 kilometres is totally useless, cities xl is leaps and bounce better than simNeighborhood 5..

moistsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 moistsandwich
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I would have bought it, if it wasn't for the extremely limited city size. I don't even care about the online only requirement that much.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

Game sucks even after I uninstalled it a little over a month ago. Broken to the max.

Damn city's are so small and having to go online sucks.

They got alot more work ahead to make the game acceptable and fun. Only Reason I bought it was because it was on sale and I got Dead Space 3 free.

moistsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 moistsandwich
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

honestly this game deserve 0 copies, with city size 2x2 kilometres is totally useless, cities xl is leaps and bouncebetter than simNeighborhood 5..

MK-Professor

I love finding holes in peoples knowledge. It's quite entertaining. Like when people pronounce "Colonel" as "Call-oh-nul" or "chic" as "chick"

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts
That's pretty good actually considering how the game launched.
MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

[QUOTE="MK-Professor"]

honestly this game deserve 0 copies, with city size 2x2 kilometres is totally useless, cities xl is leaps and bouncebetter than simNeighborhood 5..

moistsandwich

I love finding holes in peoples knowledge. It's quite entertaining. Like when people pronounce "Colonel" as "Call-oh-nul" or "chic" as "chick"

more like an error with the spell checker, problem with that?

chapnzaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#42 chapnzaba
Member since 2005 • 2302 Posts

[QUOTE="moistsandwich"]

[QUOTE="MK-Professor"]

MK-Professor

more like an error with the spell checker, problem with that?

Yeah, sure ;)

ShadowHawk676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ShadowHawk676
Member since 2012 • 111 Posts

The upside is they will probably make another and with the disaster that was the Sim City launch give it a single player portion and fix some of the issues. Because if they try to pull the same stuff with the next one it's almost guaranteed to bomb