Silent Hill: Shattered Memories: This gen's Horror King?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

It sure shows alot of promise...

Info...

- NOT a remake. Think new Battlestar Galactica series compared to the original show

- No loading screens at all

- Flashlight maped to Wii remotes IR pointer

-Wii remote speaker used for static noise and phone speaker.

- Protagonist helpless against monsters, can only run/hide or find ways to keep them at bay

- Enemies start out as simple humanoid figures and shape-shift throught the game according to the players actions/psychological profile

- Town areas, NPCs and events change acording to characters profile.

- No pause/save/message screens. Cell phone keeps player in-game all the time

- Search and interact with enviorments with Wiimote's IR pointer (example: turn snowglobe with pointer to find phone number)

- Use camera to capture "paranormal activities"(?) otherwise blind to the naked eye

-Silent Hill town seemless. Climb fences, open doors, block passageways while running from monsters (with NO loading/transitional screens)

- No text messages popping on screen, breaking the atmosphere. 100% voice over by characters. Protagonist will coment when player focuses on certain objects

- Completely new OST by Akira Yamaoka. His twisted version of "You were always on my mind" by Willie Nelson can be heard in the latest trailer

- This is Konami's trust test to Climax after horrible sales of Helix's SH:Homecoming.

- Climax developing the lead Wii SKU from ground-up. External teams porting down PSP and PS2 SKUs

- Complex terrain deformation when entering demonic dimension. Strong reason for the new icy theme.

- New dedicated engine that projects self-shadowing and shadows of every solid object on screen (even snow flakes) dinamicaly.

"I am not, generally speaking, a fan of survival horror games. Since Alone in the Dark and Resident Evil defined the genre all those years ago, developers seem content to smash together action and adventure tropes, creating a rough slurry of dodgy controls and unfriendly design decisions using clichéd slasher film aesthetics as an excuse for never bothering to evolve the games into something more refined (...)but for perhaps the first time ever, I'm eager to play a survival horror game to find out for myself."
- 1UP

^ basic bland humanoid shaped monster. Will shape shift once the game analyzes the gamers profile/actions

^ Monsters will open doors, jump fences, crawl and search for the player

"Starting with a first-person psychological evaluation and monitoring your decisions throughout your scary sojourn (the game will even make changes based on which rooms you visit first), there's no telling which characters or situations it'll throw at you. A quick glance at the other E3 demo stations revealed not only different versions of characters, but different encounters entirely!" - Joystick

^ Yes, its the same cop viewed by diferent gamer profiles

"Shattered Memories embraces the everyman conceit and runs with it. As in, running away from the town's twisted, meat-faced monsters is the sensible thing to do. And they're relentless this time, giving chase throughout nightmare sequences and grabbing at whichever of your appendages happens to be within range. Shaking them off (in the game's only gratuitous bit of waggling) or lighting flares will give you some reprieve, but only by climbing over fences and charging through doors -- all marked by a Mirror's Edge-esque highlight of blue frost -- will you survive. It's a terrifying, cinematic chase, especially if you press down on the d-pad and take a look at what's behiiiind youuuuuuu"- Joystick

^ E3 booth

"If you're one of the many series fans who've bemoaned the fact that Konami's first franchise foray on Wii isn't a totally new adventure, then you're in for a shock. Shattered Memories might be inspired by events of the original Silent Hill game - both sharing a protagonist in the form of Harry Mason, plus a handful of other returning character - but, from the moment Harry's car overturns and daughter Cheryl disappears into the fog of Silent Hill, it's clear that Shattered Memories is spinning a very different yarn.It's a shift of such seismic proportions that long-time fans might feel a little lost roaming the streets of Silent Hill"

" What's certain at this stage is that Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is absolutely packed with potential. It's wildly ambitious and - if it all comes together - could easily usher in a new era for survival horror. It makes brilliant use of the Wii's unique functionality and really pushes Nintendo's console to deliver a technically stunning, massively atmospheric experience." - IGN

TRAILER

http://uk.wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14325477/silent-hill/videos/shille3trailer.html

Dragonblade01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Dragonblade01
Member since 2004 • 5747 Posts

We'll have to see how the "scare factor" plays up to Dead Space

Agressive_Sock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Agressive_Sock
Member since 2009 • 115 Posts

Condemned Series

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

I'll have to wait until its out. Its looking solid right now (and grainy too) but let's see how it turns out.

hy4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hy4k
Member since 2009 • 1790 Posts
looks great
Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Thunderdrone

I'll have to wait until its out. Its looking solid right now (and grainy too) but let's see how it turns out.

ActicEdge
Grain filter is a Silent Hill staple. You can turn it off though :P
legend26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 legend26
Member since 2007 • 16010 Posts

the retuen of TRUE survival horror! :D

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

I like how the game is coming along. ALso its cool that both characters and monsters will reflect how the player is. I want the hot cop and im guessing you would have to say you like sex alot or something.

gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts
Looks very promising. I remember playing the original on PSX, and that game scared the bejeebus out of me. If this remake can recreate that scare-factor (especially since I'm older and a lot more mature now) then this will be a big feat in my eyes. It might also help usher in a return to true survival horror.
789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

The inability to kill enemies, leaving the only option to run, is certainly enough to pique my interest.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

It has some nice ideas, but it doesn't look very good to me ... and well, I'm against it because it's basically a new game titled "Silent Hill" for the sole purpose of garnering more sales.

I think some might consider Siren this gen's horror king, but I have yet to play it so ... :s Idk. This gen absolutely sucks for the Survival Horror genre.

789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 789shadow

It has some nice ideas, but it doesn't look very good to me ... and well, I'm against it because it's basically a new game titled "Silent Hill" for the sole purpose of garnering more sales.

I think some might consider Siren this gen's horror king, but I have yet to play it so ... :s Idk. This gen absolutely sucks for the Survival Horror genre.

hakanakumono

Or it could be because the developers think they have something unique to offer the series, and they do.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ActicEdge

hakanakumono

I always look forward to seeing you in threads about this game :P Anyway, I thought the whole point of devs creating games is to generate sales? I mean they gotta do what they gotta do if people want games to play. Anyway, not a survival horror fan all that much so I may try this one if it scores well. Oh and what do you think of FF2 Crimson Butterfly?

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

789shadow

Or it could be because the developers think they have something unique to offer the series, and they do.

Sure, this is different from the rest of Silent Hill; "unique" ... but that's just the point. It's different from Silent Hill. Silent Hill doesn't need a tired rehash of various plot elements from the original mixed in with a mishmash of Clock Tower gameplay and a choose your own adventure storyline. It's not Silent Hill. Why bastardize the original game?

The series is dead. Old. Tired. It doesn't need alternate realities. Survival Horror doesn't need this either. Companies need to be starting new IPs, not sucking out the little life dying series' have. If they would do that, we would well be on our way to the sequel for Room 304.

OrwellJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 OrwellJames
Member since 2008 • 591 Posts
This whole game looks like a brilliant reinvention of the series; it's a shame it had to end up on the Wii. I'll still get it, but I mean come on...Silent Hill 3 looked more impressive than this.
789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 789shadow

[QUOTE="789shadow"]

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

hakanakumono

Sure, this is different from the rest of Silent Hill; "unique" ... but that's just the point. It's different from Silent Hill. Silent Hill doesn't need a tired rehash of various plot elements from the original mixed in with a mishmash of Clock Tower gameplay and a choose your own adventure storyline. It's not Silent Hill. Why bastardize the original game?

The series is dead. Old. Tired. It doesn't need alternate realities. Survival Horror doesn't need this either. Companies need to be starting new IPs, not sucking out the little life dying series' have. If they would do that, we would well be on our way to the sequel for Room 304.

So you want new IP's, but want a sequel in the same sentence?o.0

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Thunderdrone
This whole game looks like a brilliant reinvention of the series; it's a shame it had to end up on the Wii. I'll still get it, but I mean come on...Silent Hill 3 looked more impressive than this.OrwellJames
yeah cuz PS2>>>Wiii lolololol hurr
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

ActicEdge

I always look forward to seeing you in threads about this game :P Anyway, I thought the whole point of devs creating games is to generate sales? I mean they gotta do what they gotta do if people want games to play. Anyway, not a survival horror fan all that much so I may try this one if it scores well. Oh and what do you think of FF2 Crimson Butterfly?

Fatal Frame 2 is a good game, but I think it lacks the punch the original had because of the frequency and predictability of ghost encounters. But it's a good game and I like it a lot. I'm not sure where to place the series on the survival horror spectrum. The games are almost more of horror RPGs than they are survival horror games - which is probably a pretty controversial opinion but I have a lot of them when it comes to the survival horror genre. Name a (japanese) survival horror game and I'll probably have played it/have an opinion on it.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="OrwellJames"]This whole game looks like a brilliant reinvention of the series; it's a shame it had to end up on the Wii. I'll still get it, but I mean come on...Silent Hill 3 looked more impressive than this.Thunderdrone

No, probably not but SH3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SH:SM.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="OrwellJames"]This whole game looks like a brilliant reinvention of the series; it's a shame it had to end up on the Wii. I'll still get it, but I mean come on...Silent Hill 3 looked more impressive than this.Thunderdrone

Uh, Wii and PS2 aren't really that far apart in terms of graphical capabilities.

And yes, Silent Hill 3 DOES look better than the game above. So does Silent Hill 4. Don't kid yourself.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

hakanakumono

Fatal Frame 2 is a good game, but I think it lacks the punch the original had because of the frequency and predictability of ghost encounters. But it's a good game and I like it a lot. I'm not sure where to place the series on the survival horror spectrum. The games are almost more of horror RPGs than they are survival horror games - which is probably a pretty controversial opinion but I have a lot of them when it comes to the survival horror genre. Name a (japanese) survival horror game and I'll probably have played it/have an opinion on it.

Alright. My friend was interested in buying it and wanted my opinion but I really have no experience in the genre. How about silent hill 2?

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Thunderdrone

Uh, Wii and PS2 aren't really that far apart in terms of graphical capabilitieshakanakumono
What reference are you using? Wii to PS360? Cuz the PS2 was considerably weaker than both the GC and Xbox. It even underperforms the DC in texture memory.
And yes, Silent Hill 3 DOES look better than the game above. So does Silent Hill 4. Don't kid yourself.

hakanakumono

Dont act dumb, i was laughing at his reasoning, "shame its on the Wii, even SH3 looks better". Take a minute to think what that coment implies.

And this goes to you and Actic Edge

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

ActicEdge

Alright. My friend was interested in buying it and wanted my opinion but I really have no experience in the genre. How about silent hill 2?

Silent Hill 2 is a wonderful game and if you go into it NOT knowing the major spoiler that many who haven't even played the game probably know, I'd say go play it right away before someone spoils it for you. Silent Hill 2 is almost the posterchild for not only gaming as art, but as literature. It's the favorite of most for a good reason (although the original is my favorite).

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]Uh, Wii and PS2 aren't really that far apart in terms of graphical capabilitiesThunderdrone

What reference are you using? Wii to PS360? Cuz the PS2 was considerably weaker than both the GC and Xbox. It even underperforms the DC in texture memory.

hakanakumono

Dont act dumb, i was laughing at his reasoning, "shame its on the Wii, even SH3 looks better". Take a minute to think what that coment implies.

And this goes to you and Actic Edge

Irrelevant, I know your point but responding to ignorance with ignorance only spreads more ignorance. In this case, you weren't clear, PS2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Wii, what am I suspose to imply? With a direct comparison between PS2 and Wii all it sounds like is you are actually trying to tell me SH3 looks worse than shattered memory which is completely untrue. Be more clear next time.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

It has to beat penumbra first

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

hakanakumono

Silent Hill 2 is a wonderful game and if you go into it NOT knowing the major spoiler that many who haven't even played the game probably know, I'd say go play it right away before someone spoils it for you. Silent Hill 2 is almost the posterchild for not only gaming as art, but as literature. It's the favorite of most for a good reason (although the original is my favorite).

So, I will hopefully get to try it then. And I actually have no clue whatSH2 is about so I don't think anyone can ruin it for me (unless they leave out spoiler tags :P)

Renjinrezo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Renjinrezo
Member since 2006 • 777 Posts

Silent Hill is no more... in the world. Whether it'll be a horror king or not, doesn't make it a SH game for me. As far as I'm concerned, the series had met it's end with SH4 (everything else for me is non-cannon).

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Thunderdrone

Silent Hill is no more... in the world. Whether it'll be a horror king or not, doesn't make it a SH game for me. As far as I'm concerned, the series had met it's end with SH4 (everything else for me is non-cannon).

Renjinrezo
You can always put a sticker over the name. Holding off on a potentialy good game because of its name is....silly?
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

Condemned Series

Agressive_Sock
yes, condemned is great. but i'm also looking forward to this one. i think the graphics look pretty decent for a Wii game, too.
Renjinrezo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Renjinrezo
Member since 2006 • 777 Posts

[QUOTE="Renjinrezo"]

Thunderdrone

You can always put a sticker over the name. Holding off on a potentialy good game because of its name is....silly?

Placing a sticker would make it bearable, true. But starting the game is another whole issue. I would indeed like this game, only if it had no "SH" (mythos/locations/characters) in it. Otherwise I would subjugate myself to pure torture, seeing the franchise ripped apart-- no even worse... the iconic 1st game's name tarnished.

It's pure opinion from a fan of the series, and as a fan I know when to let go of hope for a spiritual/"physical" successor. Eventually another iconic horror game will rise, though whether it'll follow the same route is unknown.

I just say "no" to butchering and remaking...

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Thunderdrone

It has to beat penumbra first

adamosmaki
I wasnt even aware of this game :S
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

Cool concept but I still don't think Climax can pull off the whole Silent Hill thing (they didn't get it right with Origins). It would of been better ifthis title was a new IP and not a reboot of the first SH title.

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

I played it at E3, and it was amazing. The part where you are running away from the monsters is so well done, that I think this game is fine without a combat system.

superapo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 superapo
Member since 2009 • 1714 Posts

ill be picking this up later this year. there aren't many games that have scared me recently, and i have played dead space.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

I played it at E3, and it was amazing. The part where you are running away from the monsters is so well done, that I think this game is fine without a combat system.

Wanderer5
Thats nice to hear, but whats the deal with the ice motif?
Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Thunderdrone

Cool concept but I still don't think Climax can pull off the whole Silent Hill thing (they didn't get it right with Origins). It would of been better ifthis title was a new IP and not a reboot of the first SH title.

jasonharris48
Origins was a PSP game (and it actually set the bar for PSP games) This one is obviously more ambitious
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

[QUOTE="jasonharris48"]

Thunderdrone

Origins was a PSP game (and it actually set the bar for PSP games) This one is obviously more ambitious

May have set the bars for PSP games but for a Silent Hill title it was lacking.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

Need a defining survival horror game for this gen, this could be it.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="jasonharris48"]

Thunderdrone

This title doesn't look anymore ambitious than Origins. Origins was a much prettier game than this.

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#40 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

I hope so. The last good Silent Hill game I played was Origins.

I'm glad they're removing the combat this time. IMO, combat was the weakest aspect in the Silent Hill series.

shalashaska88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 shalashaska88
Member since 2005 • 3198 Posts
Wii owners are so lucky. I watched the trailer and WOW it really looks good. Hopefully they'll do SH6 with this concept in mind for the 360 and PS3.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#42 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I'm glad they're removing the combat this time. IMO, combat was the weakest aspect in the Silent Hill series.

SpinoRaptor24
Yes this and the 1001 locked doors i didn't like much. Removing combat prevents the series from going into RE 5 direction, and will only add to the tension. Have You played Along in the Dark? The scariest parts were when You didn't know the enemies and didn't know how to fight them. The camera showing something watching You but You didn't know what. And when You didn't know where to go or where You were safe. Not knowing things. Feeling incapable. People always know about 'the unknown' being scary, but rarely talk about incapability. It's like playing doom3 while crawling. It makes the game suddenly 10x scarier because You start to anticipate what could be around a corner. This might very well become the scariest game this gen if they focus on this part.
SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#43 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

[QUOTE="SpinoRaptor24"]

KungfuKitten

Yes this and the 1001 locked doors i didn't like much. Removing combat prevents the series from going into RE 5 direction, and will only add to the tension. Have You played Along in the Dark? The scariest parts were when You didn't know the enemies and didn't know how to fight them. The camera showing something watching You but You didn't know what. And when You didn't know where to go or where You were safe. Not knowing things. Feeling incapable. People always know about 'the unknown' being scary, but rarely talk about incapability. It's like playing doom3 while crawling. It makes the game suddenly 10x scarier because You start to anticipate what could be around a corner. This might very well become the scariest game this gen if they focus on this part.

:lol:

That is so true. 95% of the doors in Silent Hill were locked and inaccessible.

Plus you're right. The fact that you can't kill enemies and must try to run and barricade yourself away from them will add more tension and horror to Shattered Memories :D

kaangonultas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 kaangonultas
Member since 2008 • 1647 Posts
it wont be good at all. Firstly it looks worse than SH3 on ps2 and its developed by climax not team silent.
Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Thunderdrone

[QUOTE="Thunderdrone"][QUOTE="jasonharris48"]

hakanakumono

This title doesn't look anymore ambitious than Origins. Origins was a much prettier game than this.

*facepalm* Oh gawd. Just drop it, your ridiculing yourself with these coments.
Zerocrossings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46 Zerocrossings
Member since 2006 • 7988 Posts

Great that they ditched the Silent Hill 4 bs.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="Thunderdrone"] Origins was a PSP game (and it actually set the bar for PSP games) This one is obviously more ambitiousThunderdrone

*facepalm* Oh gawd. Just drop it, your ridiculing yourself with these coments.

Not really. I base graphical assessments on the console that they're developed on. In other words, how well they use the system or handheld's capabilities and how good they actually look. For example, I'd say Final Fantasy VI is superior to VII as far as graphics go because VII is plagued by graphical inconsistencies and VI is better for the SNES than VII is for the PS1. At the same time, Origins looks to be better for the PSP than Shattered Memories for the Wii.

Number_1_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Number_1_Gamer
Member since 2007 • 1786 Posts

[QUOTE="Thunderdrone"][QUOTE="OrwellJames"]This whole game looks like a brilliant reinvention of the series; it's a shame it had to end up on the Wii. I'll still get it, but I mean come on...Silent Hill 3 looked more impressive than this.hakanakumono

Uh, Wii and PS2 aren't really that far apart in terms of graphical capabilities.

No. Don't be ridiculous. No PS2 Silent Hill looks better than Shattered Memories. You're being beyond ridiculous.
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="Thunderdrone"] yeah cuz PS2>>>Wiii lolololol hurrNumber_1_Gamer

No. Don't be ridiculous. No PS2 Silent Hill looks better than Shattered Memories. You're being beyond ridiculous.

Sarcasm?

_Verm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 _Verm
Member since 2009 • 488 Posts
is this multiplat