Silent Hill downpour. 4.5 IGN. Ouch...

• 91 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Ok so probably old but I just saw the review and man they scored it really badly. Some people here were excited about this game and from what they said it seems like a huge disappointment

http://ie.ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1220529p1.html

tarzanell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 tarzanell
Member since 2006 • 1503 Posts
$.5? Fifty cents is SERIUOS BUSINESS!!1! On topic, is anyone surprised anymore? Surely the game has now officially tanked?
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Seems like they just outright hated it. GS's review seemed far better. Even Destructoid's review didn't sound like trash. Then again, it's IGN. We don't care for their s***ty reviews.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

scores in general are a piss poor way to judge something and I have learned to never trust IGN for anything other than a laugh.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts

scores in general are a piss poor way to judge something and I have learned to never trust IGN for anything other than a laugh.

ReadingRainbow4
I would argue Metacritic is a pretty accurate source for comparing games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-59b71619573a1

$.5? Fifty cents is SERIUOS BUSINESS!!1! On topic, is anyone surprised anymore? Surely the game has now officially tanked?tarzanell

Yeah my bad :P Fixed now haha

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ReadingRainbow4

[QUOTE="ReadingRainbow4"]

KC_Hokie

Are you aware metacritic actually hurts the industry? certain companies lay off employees of game studios if their game doesn't reach atleast a 80-90% percentile. now tell me the difference between a bad scoring game that's actually decent, vs call of duty yearly releases that contstantly score well with major publications yet are abysmal rehashed trash.

omgmike23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 omgmike23
Member since 2012 • 33 Posts

So Sad because I planned on buying this game, I've never played a Silent Hill game and this one Kind of looked Alan Wake-ish which I thought would be cool. It's unfortunate because that 4.5 reaaalllly discouraged me buying it. :x Stupid IGN.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="ReadingRainbow4"]

ReadingRainbow4

Are you aware metacritic actually hurts the industry? certain companies lay off employees of game studios if their game doesn't reach atleast a 80-90% percentile. now tell me the difference between a bad scoring game that's actually decent, vs call of duty yearly releases that contstantly score well with major publications yet are abysmal rehashed trash.

Yea...I am very aware the industry pays attention to Metacritic. I pay attention to it as well. If a game gets a Metacritic score below 70, for example, I might rent it. I make decisions based on Metacritic.
BullyRay44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BullyRay44
Member since 2012 • 483 Posts

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]I would argue Metacritic is a pretty accurate source for comparing games. KC_Hokie

Yea...I am very aware the industry pays attention to Metacritic. I pay attention to it as well. If a game gets a Metacritic score below 70, for example, I might rent it. I make decisions based on Metacritic.

did you buy Uncharted 3 which has a 92 metacritic score?

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ReadingRainbow4

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]I would argue Metacritic is a pretty accurate source for comparing games. KC_Hokie

Well while you are making those informed choices, at least pay attention to the written text in the majority of reviews, place less importance on the numerical score.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="ReadingRainbow4"] Are you aware metacritic actually hurts the industry? certain companies lay off employees of game studios if their game doesn't reach atleast a 80-90% percentile. now tell me the difference between a bad scoring game that's actually decent, vs call of duty yearly releases that contstantly score well with major publications yet are abysmal rehashed trash.

ReadingRainbow4

Well while you are making those informed choices, at least pay attention to the written text in the majority of reviews, place less importance on the numerical score.

I read several review cites but I also look at the MC score as well.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

I make decisions based on Metacritic. KC_Hokie

That's incredible sad and I almost feel sorry for you.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-59b71619573a1

So Sad because I planned on buying this game, I've never played a Silent Hill game and this one Kind of looked Alan Wake-ish which I thought would be cool. It's unfortunate because that 4.5 reaaalllly discouraged me buying it. :x Stupid IGN.

omgmike23

GS's review is much better and far more forgiving. Watch that

Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

Who cares? It's one reviewer and a review that is in the minority.

If you really care about reviews and need them to determine a purchase then go for the user reviews. I find those reviews the most helpful of the bunch.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-59b71619573a1

That's a horrible idea and you will miss a LOT of great games if you do that.

Never buy a game based off other people's opinions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-59b71619573a1

If you really care about reviews and need them to determine a purchase then go for the user reviews. I find those reviews the most helpful of the bunch.

Goyoshi12

I never trust those either. All the devs that were caught doing positive reviews of their own games and guys who just bash a game for no reason. Look at MW3, While I too don't like the series it was childish to go and bad mouth it just cos it's CoD.

Another48hours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Another48hours
Member since 2012 • 1970 Posts

KC_Hokie

Unbalanced reviews with different numbers for each game from random sites with questionable reliability and official fansites averaged is better than a straight up review from one website? Both are incredibly stupid.
tryagainlater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#19 tryagainlater
Member since 2005 • 7446 Posts

I'll probably still get it. The reviews haven't been that bad across the board. Also, lol IGN :P

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]I make decisions based on Metacritic. seanmcloughlin

I find Metacritic to be incredibly accurate. I don't think I've ever enjoyed a game with a Metacritic below 70.
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Goyoshi12

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

seanmcloughlin

I never trust those either. All the devs that were caught doing positive reviews of their own games and guys who just bash a game for no reason. Look at MW3, While I too don't like the series it was childish to go and bad mouth it just cos it's CoD.

Are you implying I was talking about the Metacritic?

LOL! :lol:

You think I meant that $#!+ hole of user reviews? I meant like GS own user reviews or GameRankings reviews. :P

omgmike23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 omgmike23
Member since 2012 • 33 Posts
[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="omgmike23"]

GS's review is much better and far more forgiving. Watch that

Maybe I'll just altogether skip this one and wait for the Silent Hill HD collection, instead of getting this one the first Silent Hill I'll play will be the ones everyone says are good :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

Goyoshi12

You think I meant that $#!+ hole of user reviews? I meant like GS own user reviews or GameRankings reviews. :P

Well at least you know to stay away from there ;)

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

They also gave I am Alive 45...

Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Goyoshi12

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

seanmcloughlin

Well at least you know to stay away from there ;)

Exactly. ;)

What with the developers actually writing reviews for their OWN games on there and people just blasting or praising games for no reason or even just BEFORE the game is released I've learned not to trust those reviews.

Instead, I look at GS or GameRankings user reviews and maybe the main one/ones at that and then look at some videos of the game and decide if I want to go and perhaps purchase the game. Amazing how that works, huh? :o

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#26 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
IGNorant gives a game 4.5? Go f*cking figure.
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

KC_Hokie

Except it isn't. It's bloated with fanboy mags and the fact it just averages scores makes it the worst thing you could trust. Just choosing a couple sites and reading through the reviews is more than enough alot of the time.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

I don't think I've ever enjoyed a game with a Metacritic below 70.KC_Hokie

What is this I don't even...:shock:

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts

I've played and loved tons of games that critics don't agree with me on. Using a metacritic score is just plain idiocy I hope you put some of your opinion into your choices.

Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Blake135
Member since 2008 • 3994 Posts

Rock Paper Shotgun is a new found love of mine. Its a Great website that doesn't score games just gives well written reviews. Scores are **** they do nothing but kill the industry. Reviewers often are not given early release for games if they score games below a score they want, if they DONT review sites like IGN risk having low traffic since if they don't agree on giving that game a good score, then they are forced to wait for a games release which means their review is extremely late. Silent Hill Downpour does not deserve this low of a score and IGN are just being dicks, can't believe people honestly look at Game Rankings to see if a game is *worth it* read some bloody reviews and don't bother with scores.,,

trollop_scat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 trollop_scat
Member since 2006 • 2656 Posts

IGN's 4.5 was a definate red flag, and every other site is ranking it in the 6-7 range. Not good enough for my $60...

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44634 Posts
seemed to complain about graphics but I'd like to know if that's across the various platforms or if it's a PS3 issue because if it's a PS3 issue then the graphics won't be such a concern for me on the Xbox 360 since most multiplats run smoother on the Xbox 360 anyways
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ShadowsDemon

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]I don't think I've ever enjoyed a game with a Metacritic below 70.Gxgear

Exactly....
Strutten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Strutten
Member since 2008 • 1263 Posts

Ok so probably old but I just saw the review and man they scored it really badly. Some people here were excited about this game and from what they said it seems like a huge disappointment

http://ie.ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1220529p1.html

seanmcloughlin

Pretty good game actually, tho only thing that annoys me is combat and the decisions you have to make, which have no purpose at all .. but the atmosphere is true silent hill ****and the graphics isnt that bad as ign states not at all (no freezes or frame dips so far xbox360 side installed) .. clearly not a 4.5 game thats for sure min 6.5 max 7.5 if silent hill fan you will feel the vibe no doubt if you look away from the combat .. btw combat isnt that much of an issue, (saw someone complaining about that you had to fight all monsters etc, which isnt true cuz the trophies and cheevoes there is one " complete the game without killing a monster" ) so if you like silent hill its worth a playthrough imo its an okay game !
*edit* btw its ign, so you should take that with a pinch of salt..

Strutten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Strutten
Member since 2008 • 1263 Posts

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]I make decisions based on Metacritic. KC_Hokie

I find Metacritic to be incredibly accurate. I don't think I've ever enjoyed a game with a Metacritic below 70.

No offense mate, but you shouldnt be gaming then, you are missing out some great titles across all platforms..

johny300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 johny300
Member since 2010 • 12496 Posts
IGN lol.
johny300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 johny300
Member since 2010 • 12496 Posts

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]I don't think I've ever enjoyed a game with a Metacritic below 70.Gxgear

Yeah he lets Metacritic decide for him .lol
soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 soapandbubbles
Member since 2010 • 3412 Posts
people do know this game got a bunch of 8-9 scores and a nice 7.5 here..IGN couldn't review games to save their lives.
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
IGNorant gives a game 4.5? Go f*cking figure.ShadowsDemon
If they'd just traded a bunch of cash for an early review they'd have got a 9GN review like all the other ones.
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52449 Posts

4.5GN

They also 4.5'd I Am Alive.

lol@IGN.Play more than 15 minutes next time you review a game.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46498 Posts

4.5GN

They also 4.5'd I Am Alive.

lol@IGN.Play more than 15 minutes next time you review a game.

freedomfreak

lol IGN it's like all they know is a 9 or a 4.5

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

IGN seems to be the only site where the editor had real hatred for it.Everywhere els seems around 7 and up. Ill pick i up eventually.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ShadowsDemon
[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"]IGNorant gives a game 4.5? Go f*cking figure.blue_hazy_basic
If they'd just traded a bunch of cash for an early review they'd have got a 9GN review like all the other ones.

Yeah, because either they give a game a low score or they're bribed, is that right? :roll:
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#44 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

IGN's was the only completely negative review I saw. I'm excited to play Downpour.

jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5468 Posts

Game sadly looks and sounds awful! Combat looks clumsy and badly implemented and the amount of tech issues you can see just from watching the IGN video! Oh dear shame!

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"]IGNorant gives a game 4.5? Go f*cking figure.ShadowsDemon

Yeah, because either they give a game a low score or they're bribed, is that right? :roll:

No but they certainly hand out high scores in return for early reviews.
omho88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 omho88
Member since 2007 • 3967 Posts

WOW, IGN can score games below 5 I never thought of that with all the 9s to almost every game.

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts

The game had heavy production behind it but then it got rushed. O well, I bought every SH game day one (except Silent Hill Orgins) so I will still get this one. I liked Homecoming and SM so I'm sure I'll enjoy this one too.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

GS gave it a 7.5 which is about what all Silent Hill games get. Don't go off of IGN's review, it's personal taste...their's and not a true reflection of the game.

I rent games like Silent Hill games, Saw, and Resident Evil. Because once you've played through them, you're done. With the Silent 2 & 3 HD release on March 20th I'm going to play through all 3 for $17. Game Fly is the way to go.

The real score is GS's review here www.gamespot.com/reviews.html?platform=1028&mode=top&sortdir=asc