Shuhei Yoshida: PS3 Backwards Compatibility Is Never Happening on PS4

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios President Shuhei Yoshida had a sort of AMA on PlayStation France’s Twitter account, and he answered quite a few interesting questions.

Below, you can read a summary of what he mentioned:

• On PSN Name changes, Yoshida-san would like to know when the feature will be ready himself. Sony is aware that people are asking for the feature and their engineers are looking into what they can do. There will be an announcement as soon as they’ll know what will be done. As of today, they don’t even know if it can be done, but hopefully it’ll be doable.
  • Sony’s engineers have been working to enable friend online notifications in the future.
  • Sony’s first party and second party studios are developing over 30 games, maybe even 40 or 50 (at the end, though, he ended with “I have no idea” so the numbers are probably even more vague than they sound).
  • Yoshida-san gave a clear cut answer on the fact that PS4 won’t have backwards compatibility with PS3 (literally, the answer was “no” on whether it’s going to happen or not).
  • About the possibility of upgrading the specs of the PS4 even up to being able to support 4K, Yoshida-san explained that it was a purely hypotetical question, due to the fact that the PS4 is based on x86 architecture, making such an upgrade easier to implement(exactly as we mentioned when we wrote about it, unfortunately others seemed to have missed that detail).
  • RIME is still in development. It’ll require a bit more patience because the developer is very small.
  • When asked about when the PS5 will be released, he mentioned that PS5 does not exist. Whether that means that it’s currently not in development, we don’t know.
  • According to what people tell him on Twitter, they liked PlayStation’s Paris Games Week press conference.
  • Yoshida-san is excited to play Star Wars: Battlefront, No Man’s Sky and The Witness.
  • There are no news to announce about PS1 and PS2 classics on PS4.
  • Sony’s first party developers won’t make any JRPG in the foreseeable future (again, the answer was a clear cut “no” to whether we can expect any or not).
  • Yoshida-san’s favorite Street Fighter V character is Dhalsim, that he always used at the time of Street Fighter II.

DUALSHOCKERS

I guess I am happy that friend notifications, name changes, a more powerful PS4, and PS1 and PS2 Classics could happen, as well as the fact that there are so many first party games in development for the system- but the news about no PS3 BC, the news about no first party JRPGs, and the lack of news about RIME seriously hurts.

Still, baby steps. I'll take it.

A-new-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 A-new-Guardian
Member since 2015 • 2458 Posts

Rime is what I care about right now. This could turn out to be the PS4's Journey.

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

PS3 games would be hard to run

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52452 Posts

Of course not. They're already charging for BC.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

what is even the point of these AMA when they never answer any of the good question. They only answer the ones that are good from a PR standpoint and that is it.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

Knew that....he said before that it was "too hard" :,,,,,(

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Captain obvious, anybody who asks those questions in the first place needs to look up how computers work.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Lol he has shitty taste if he's really looking forward to Battleturd. Kudos for Dhalsim, though. He's also my SF fave.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

It would be impossible to software emulate PS3 games on a PS4.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50676 Posts

Not really surprised by that...and not because of the collections.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

Well nothing new here.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12  Edited By finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

I bought my PS4 to play PS4 GAMES! i dont want to play last gen games on my PS4.. hey some consoles have no games so they settle for BC to play old games lol.. my PS4 has way too many new games to enjoy.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Shuhei Yoshida: PS3 Backwards Compatibility Is Never Happening on PS4

So, where´s the "news" ?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44690 Posts

I'm okay with that for now, as long as they basically have the same line-up of PS1 and PS2 games if they offer that as BC, honor peoples rights if they got PS1/PS2 Classics on PS3 their, as well as keep adding titles, and plan on doing that on next Sony console, even better, hopefully by then they can pull off PS3 emulation as well as PS4 on next system... I'm not worried as I don't think this generation will be a long one like last gen, it just doesn't have the momentum.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Well I guess the Cell would be pretty damn hard to emulate with Ps4's cpu, or impossible. 360 BC must've been hard enough as it is for xbone.

I just want disc based Ps1 and Ps2 BC, I heard that may have been coming once.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178879 Posts

Non event. My PS3 is sitting next to my PS4.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60722 Posts

Knew that long ago.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@finalstar2007 said:

I bought my PS4 to play PS4 GAMES! i dont want to play last gen games on my PS4.. hey some consoles have no games so they settle for BC to play old games lol.. my PS4 has way too many new games to enjoy.

And some consoles re-master game after game after game when they have nothing coming out....lol just saying

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@kingtito said:
@finalstar2007 said:

And some consoles re-master game after game after game when they have nothing coming out....lol just saying

MCC? Rare Replay?

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kingtito

@LJS9502_basic said:
@kingtito said:
@finalstar2007 said:

MCC?

TLOU, you know that year old game that Sony felt needed a remaster?????? Hahahaha umm sure looks 1000x better than the PS3 version.......NOT

MCC at least included games from the original Xbox, you know, games waaaayyyy older than 1 year

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LJS9502_basic

@kingtito said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@kingtito said:

MCC?

TLOU, you know that year old game that Sony felt needed a remaster?????? Hahahaha umm sure looks 1000x better than the PS3 version.......NOT

MCC at least included games from the original Xbox, you know, games waaaayyyy older than 1 year

A remaster is a remaster and they both do it. Don't be a hypocrite.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kingtito

@LJS9502_basic said:
@kingtito said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@kingtito said:

MCC?

Point to where I said only Sony does it cow?

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 davem1992
Member since 2009 • 4068 Posts

@kingtito said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@kingtito said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@kingtito said:

MCC?

So mods :@charizard1605@darkspineslayer genuine question, when is this hypocritical cretin getting the boot?

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kingtito

@davem1992 said:
@kingtito said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@kingtito said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

MCC?

So mods :@charizard1605@darkspineslayer genuine question, when is this hypocritical cretin getting the boot?

How is what I said a violation of the TOS? Should ask the mods a question about yourself.

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 davem1992

@kingtito said:
@davem1992 said:
@kingtito said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@kingtito said:

How is what I said a violation of the TOS? Should ask the mods a question about yourself.

tut tut, just curious mods because this one started attacking me on another forum post with absolutely no malice towards him so it was entirely him being an angry man.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kingtito

@davem1992 said:
@kingtito said:
@davem1992 said:
@kingtito said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

tut tut, just curious mods because this one started attacking me on another forum post with absolutely no malice towards him so it was entirely him being an angry man.

LOL are you begging now? Attacked? Please, I asked you a question and you took offense as you normally do. By all means beg more

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 davem1992

@kingtito said:
@davem1992 said:
@kingtito said:
@davem1992 said:
@kingtito said:

LOL are you begging now? Attacked? Please, I asked you a question and you took offense as you normally do. By all means beg more

I think someone doesn't know what begging means, anyway yeah mods should I do this via PM or on here, been a while since I've reported a user so I forget.

P.S that comment is a lie, he got mad because I didn't attack the TC but instead chose to get a tad irked with a user whining about how bad the cows treat the Xbox One.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

Man this board is something. A console not getting BC is a non issue, but AA batteries in a controller or needing a screw driver to change the n3DS memory card is the end of the world.

@LJS9502_basic said:

And this, "It's OK because the company I hate does it too" crap needs to stop as well. You know damn well you would have the opposite opinion if the PS4 has BC and the XB1 didn't. It would be "LOL LEMS" and "I hope you enjoy the remasters" coming from you and @kingtito would be calling you a hypocrite.

Can we get users and fanbases to pick a standard and stand by it??? This shit is getting real old. How can we have a proper fight about plastic boxes if the goal posts move every time a new game or new feature comes out?

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@a-new-guardian said:

Rime is what I care about right now. This could turn out to be the PS4's Journey.

A nice looking empty 30-60min game? i hope not

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kingtito

@davem1992 said:
@kingtito said:
@davem1992 said:
@kingtito said:
@davem1992 said:

I think someone doesn't know what begging means, anyway yeah mods should I do this via PM or on here, been a while since I've reported a user so I forget.

P.S that comment is a lie, he got mad because I didn't attack the TC but instead chose to get a tad irked with a user whining about how bad the cows treat the Xbox One.

I think everyone would thank if you just PMed a mod instead of begging here for someone to get banned.

BTW go read the thread again and learn what attack means while you're at it.

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 davem1992

@kingtito said:
@davem1992 said:
@kingtito said:
@davem1992 said:
@kingtito said:

I think everyone would thank if you just PMed a mod instead of begging here for someone to get banned.

I was inquiring actually, I wasn't begging.

Oh I see you going mental cause I didn't attack the TC, then acting like a hypocrite about scum like NyaDC and then insulting me verbally.

That is considered "attack".

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

How about neither. Get the thread back on track please, I would rather not lock it or hand out and unnecessary strikes.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LJS9502_basic

@kingtito said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@kingtito said:

And there it is. Losing an argument and a fan boy automatically pins a fan boy label on others. So predictable and so very sad. You are making excuses why one is okay and one isn't. Like I said....hypocrite.

A-new-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By A-new-Guardian
Member since 2015 • 2458 Posts

@aroxx_ab: I meant it in a positive way lol. The developer said it would have much more to do than what you think, you'll explore, solve puzzles, platforming etc . My comment was to describe it as an adventure as great as journey. Which despite being short and not worth day one purchase still remained an great journey especially when you have a companion with you travelling to the mountain.

dino7c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dino7c
Member since 2005 • 533 Posts

do people really want to play these games on new consoles? I have an xbox one and can't imagine using it much

if at all

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LJS9502_basic
@GoldenElementXL said:

Man this board is something. A console not getting BC is a non issue, but AA batteries in a controller or needing a screw driver to change the n3DS memory card is the end of the world.

@LJS9502_basic said:

And this, "It's OK because the company I hate does it too" crap needs to stop as well. You know damn well you would have the opposite opinion if the PS4 has BC and the XB1 didn't. It would be "LOL LEMS" and "I hope you enjoy the remasters" coming from you and @kingtito would be calling you a hypocrite.

Can we get users and fanbases to pick a standard and stand by it??? This shit is getting real old. How can we have a proper fight about plastic boxes if the goal posts move every time a new game or new feature comes out?

WTF is your problem? Stating facts has nothing to do with a bias. Get over yourself.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 kingtito

@davem1992 said:
@kingtito said:
@davem1992 said:
@kingtito said:
@davem1992 said:

Oh I see you going mental cause I didn't attack the TC, then acting like a hypocrite about scum like NyaDC and then insulting me verbally.

This conversation is over per Darkspineslayer. Back to topic and don't PM me.

Sony had no intentions of backwards compatibility especially with PS NOW live. That would take revenue away from their streaming service so this was no surprise. Besides always thought playing old games on a new system was a waste of time for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

"Sony’s first party developers won’t make any JRPG in the foreseeable future"..

That's pretty sad that they will so easily just discard an entire game genre just like that. I wonder what other genres they will not make outside their typical cinematic movie based games? Guess I'll have to rely on third party for JRPG goodness. It's funny because outside of Bloodborne(which is a JRPG), Sony's first party is superbly lackluster.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LJS9502_basic

@kingtito said:
@davem1992 said:

Sony had no intentions of backwards compatibility especially with PS NOW live. That would take revenue away from their streaming service so this was no surprise. Besides always thought playing old games on a new system was a waste of time for me.

Pst....they have no intention because the console hardware is so different.

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 davem1992

@kingtito said:
@davem1992 said:
@kingtito said:
@davem1992 said:
@kingtito said:

Lol I'm positive you made that up.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 kingtito

@LJS9502_basic said:
@kingtito said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@kingtito said:

And there it is. Losing an argument and a fan boy automatically pins a fan boy label on others. So predictable and so very sad. You are making excuses why one is okay and one isn't. Like I said....hypocrite.

I didn't see a problem with MCC but a year old game with barely any difference? Cash cow is what comes to mind.

I call you a cow because that's what you are. You always come to the rescue of other cows. Should I have responded to him with " I guess it's better to PAY for backwards compatibility instead?" You still would have come running to defend him. Sorry, I call it like I see it.

Still doesn't make me a hypocrite because not once did I say ONLY Sony makes remasters. You mentioned MCC, I didn't and like I said I didn't have a problem with MCC for said reasons.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#42 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@davem1992: @kingtito: Both of you stand off, stop derailing the thread, and stop with the personal attacks. Any future violation of this nature is an immediate strike. You have both been warned.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 kingtito

@LJS9502_basic said:
@kingtito said:
@davem1992 said:

Still, with PS Now you really think Sony was going to have any other kind of backwards compatibility?

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 davem1992

@kingtito said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@kingtito said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@kingtito said:

I didn't see a problem with MCC but a year old game with barely any difference? Cash cow is what comes to mind.

I call you a cow because that's what you are. You always come to the rescue of other cows. Should I have responded to him with " I guess it's better to PAY for backwards compatibility instead?" You still would have come running to defend him. Sorry, I call it like I see it.

Still doesn't make me a hypocrite because not once did I say ONLY Sony makes remasters. You mentioned MCC, I didn't and like I said I didn't have a problem with MCC for said reasons.

You didn't see a problem with a game that had its core selling point broken for half a year?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@kingtito said:

Of course you see nothing wrong with what MS does....you're a lem. The excuses make you a hypocrite. Both are guilty of remastering from the past library. MS remastered the original Halo game once already. And some of the games on MCC were from the 360 gen.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 LJS9502_basic

@kingtito said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Still, with PS Now you really think Sony was going to have any other kind of backwards compatibility?

The PS3 was hard to develop for..............therefore they went another way. Which makes sense from a business standpoint. The BC on the X1 is not all inclusive. And you'd be better off playing the games on the 360. As for PSNow.....why is hard to believe that people who missed out on the console might be the ones buying the games? Which you have to do if you want to play old MS games as well.

Ugh...it burns.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 kingtito

@LJS9502_basic said:
@kingtito said:

Of course you see nothing wrong with what MS does....you're a lem. The excuses make you a hypocrite. Both are guilty of remastering from the past library. MS remastered the original Halo game once already. And some of the games on MCC were from the 360 gen.

Well I've stated why. They made 4 games with 3 of them being old games and not some remaster of a barely year old game. MCC wasn't just some cheap fast money grab unlike that OTHER game. So, yeah I didn't have a problem with it.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 kingtito

@LJS9502_basic said:
@kingtito said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

The PS3 was hard to develop for..............therefore they went another way. Which makes sense from a business standpoint. The BC on the X1 is not all inclusive. And you'd be better off playing the games on the 360. As for PSNow.....why is hard to believe that people who missed out on the console might be the ones buying the games? Which you have to do if you want to play old MS games as well.

Ugh...it burns.

Yeah it made sense, they can make more money from a streaming service than trying to implement backwards compatibility.

Like I said, I could care less for backwards compatibility. I didn't purchase new gen consoles so I can play old gen games.

PR propaganda is what that is. How many people in here talked about rebuying a game that's getting remastered? How many people are going to buy a NEW console to play OLD games? Not the majority that's for sure. Why is it so hard for you to understand that Sony is trying to cash in on popular games by remaking them and hoping you rebuy it?

They have cream for that.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts
@Wasdie said:

It would be impossible to software emulate PS3 games on a PS4.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#50 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4586 Posts

I'd like the ps4 to play ps3 games, but it's not a big deal to me. Why give bc, when they can charge for streaming or just remaster the game.