Should Mass Effect be left dead, forever?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

Poll Should Mass Effect be left dead, forever? (66 votes)

Yes 52%
No 48%
No Caption Provided

The last Mass Effect was a disaster, some attribute it to Biowares extreme struggles with the Frostbyte engine, others attribute to poor writing and a change in tone, others to a rushed launch.

More extreme attitudes have been adopted, writing off Bioware in it's entirety. The once prestigious developer, now the video game equivalent of M.Shyamalan. Wasted potential, or perhaps mediocre talent merely masked, revealed by the inevitability of time.

Regardless, this is where they are now.

Personally, i'm of the opinion the series was never good be it writing or mechanics, but this is about you, a person.

Should Mass Effect continue as entity as long as it's profitable and has an audience? Or would it be more dignified to let sleeping dogs lien and move on to something fresh?

• 
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61511 Posts

Nah, the series was great, and even Andromeda had some boons... Sadly, it just shat the bed elsewhere. It's less of an issue with ME and more an issue with Bioware.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

I have Andromeda but have yet to play it, may have to look into starting it soon.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16879 Posts

Let it go at this point. Even if they were to make a new game, between Andromeda, the Anthem debacles, and the upcoming Dragon Age game supposedly going the "games as a service" route, I think it's just a matter of time before EA finally eviscerates the studio once and for all.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44295 Posts

No. The first three Mass Effect games were/are fantastic and Andromeda was a good game in general, just a bit disappointing as a Mass Effect game. If they feel that they have a great game idea to make from the franchise then I say by all means give it a shot. If it turns out to be something that I don’t care for then I’ll simply pass on it until/if they make one that I care for. I certainly wouldn’t want to deny anyone else of a game that they might be interested in.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

No it's to fun to see how EA will F it up next time.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

Casey Hudson should sell the license

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#7 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I still had some hope for Bioware after Andromeda, but Anthem killed what was left.

unless the IP gets picked up by a competent RPG studio like Obsidian I don't really care at this point

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#8 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3648 Posts

I never played Andromeda cause of bad reviews. I loved Mass Effect 2 and 3, never played the original Mass Effect.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Yes, please don't bring it back and let it die with the little dignity it has left for the original cast.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56217 Posts

Everyone needs to remember that Andromeda isn't part of the core lure Mass Effect Trilogy and it was always meant to be a spin-off and yet, it gets hated. I really enjoy Andromeda and only for it's gameplay and it's gameplay was a huge step-up from the previous Mass Effect is why I give it a hard pass but the story itself was really bad writing. Bioware at the time wanted to turn Mass Effect into their own Star Wars but when EA came into the fray, that shut that dream down.

I love all the Mass Effect games, do I want to see it go completely? This is what needs to happen. Bioware needs to leave EA and if Bungie can walk away from Activision, why can't Bioware do the same? Once you leave EA, then we can talk about continuing Mass Effect but until then, I got no more love for Bioware because they were stupid to join EA. Should have join MS.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@davillain-: Cause they are based in the UK and broke, unlike Bungie in the US.

MS needs to buy them, if EA is even up for that or just destroy them, like the Sims dev. EA killed the Sims dev.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20126 Posts

For me to want to play a new ME game, it would have to ditch Andromeda and come back to the Milky Way to the post Reaper timeline. Heck, I'll take a Garrus prequel over Andromeda.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56217 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:

For me to want to play a new ME game, it would have to ditch Andromeda and come back to the Milky Way to the post Reaper timeline. Heck, I'll take a Garrus prequel over Andromeda.

I'm with you on this one. I didn't like the Andromeda galaxy and lack of previous aliens was a downfall for this spin-off. Going back the milky way galaxy with the Reapers is the only way this series will see the light again.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44605 Posts

It's going to need a major revival to correct course, I can't imagine fans of older games wouldn't want to see a new game done right. Problem is I don't see them pulling it off. I gave Bioware too much credit when I thought Andromeda's problems stemmed from Bioware using their "B-team" while their top talent plugged away at Anthem... but then Anthem turned out so bad I can't help but feel there is something fundamentally broken with them. Strange that in the end, and a bit funny to think of now, Andromeda was a much better game by miles. Still, I don't know how much more they can get away with before EA cans them. I know they have a new Dragon Age game coming, I thought I heard, I honestly never cared for that series, but if they still get one more shot to make a decent game and screw up with that then I feel another Mass Effect game might never come if the studio goes bust.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Bioware ain't the same studio they used to be. I don't believe the current team is capable of making a great game anymore.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59079 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Bioware ain't the same studio they used to be. I don't believe the current team is capable of making a great game anymore.

Aside from this I think it has another basic problem.

When people talk about Star Trek in high regard, they typically talk about TOS or The Next Generation, because everything afterwords is diminishing returns on a simple concept that far outlasted it's conceit.

DS9 being the exception, because it wasn't Star Trek.

I guess you could also apply that to Star Wars.

It's either go down the same retreaded road on what is, a very, very basic and in reality, fairly common generic sci-fi adventure premise, or flip the table and subvert expectations - which is a very difficult thing to do well, easily alienating audiences.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

Hard to say. If EA is still the same EA then yes... let it die with a little dignity left. If Bioware ever goes on without EA then I hope it’s one of the first IP’s that makes a comeback.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11139 Posts

I want them to learn from last time and try again, but I'm not sure if this current Bioware is capable of what it once was. I think Cyberpunk will end up as my go-to sci-fi RPG franchise now. Hope it doesn't let me down.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58393 Posts

Hard for me to say.

I feel like one of the few people that actually enjoyed Andromeda, but I also judge games independently from their previous installments (to an extent).

Bioware has always been a studio that changes their formula in proceeding games, often for better (or, at worse, just different) and Andromeda was no different.

The question you need to ask yourself is this: would you have preferred a stagnant Mass Effect series? One that did not evolve?

The answer for me is "no". I replay old games fairly often and, having replayed the original Mass Effect less than a year ago, I can tell you it has not aged well. So if you're asking me to choose between the Bioware of yesteryear and being given stale and outdated gameplay, or a Bioware that tries new things but comes up short, I will take the latter.

I already know I won't like a new Mass Effect that plays identical to the first one, so I will take a gamble on the new stuff.

Studios come and go as it is, while I have fond memories of Bioware, something else will take its place. The talent will go to other studios or leave the industry.

@uninspiredcup said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

It's either go down the same retreaded road on what is, a very, very basic and in reality, fairly common generic sci-fi adventure premise, or flip the table and subvert expectations - which is a very difficult thing to do well, easily alienating audiences.

Yeah, it's a very damned if you do, damned if you don't, sort of deal.

There were some other innate problems with development described in other posts (namely Bioware's "DLC team" making Andromeda while their main team made Anthem, poor leadership, EA calling the shots, and so on), but ultimately they just should have called it "Andromeda", redesigned the aliens, and not even include it in Mass Effect lore.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DEVILinIRON  Online
Member since 2006 • 8780 Posts

I think there should be a Left for Mass Dead Effect 3

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

Yea it should be left dead and Bioware's rotting carcass should be tossed in the coffin with it.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34668 Posts

Yeah. Bioware just ain't good anymore.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15946 Posts

Yes

Avatar image for deactivated-5e171d7dbd091
deactivated-5e171d7dbd091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5e171d7dbd091
Member since 2018 • 284 Posts

Bioware should just make Knights of the Old Republic 3 since EA has Star Wars rights anyways. It'll make Bioware great again lol.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#26 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

I always thought Mass Effect was ok at best, I never understood the appeal. Each to their own; if they make another one or not, I wouldn't care either way.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TheEroica  Moderator  Online
Member since 2009 • 22764 Posts

They simply cannot make another andromeda... And what I mean by that is that andromeda had no vision from the start. They were asking fans to tell them where the story should go and they showed next to nothing about the game throughout development.

Bioware Montreal had success with me 3 multi-player because they crafted a pretty good moment to moment gameplay set. But they also eliminated the importance of my squad mates who have now become ignorable ai wandering the battlefield... Compare that with how you thoughtfully selected sqaudmates for the suicide mission in mass effect 2, or really any load out any me game.

No compelling story, no compelling characters and the worst combat in the series simply because it has eliminated the weight of my side characters in combat... So much sigh.

Bottom line is they had no mass effect story they were COMPELLED to tell.... They just went through the motions and hoped for the best. Never a winning combination with a gane, especially games like mass effect.

If they revisit the series at some point I beg them to actually play and talk about what made the first three games great and start again. Don't ask fans for help making your canon and don't short change this ip Bioware! Do it right or don't do it at all.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#28 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@uninspiredcup:

The original Mass Effect trilogy was amazing. It was like Star Trek or Orville and you were in command of your own ship. On that premise, we NEED to have it continue. I also got to play Andromeda, despite everyone's best efforts to convince me not to. And I honestly enjoyed it! The story wasn't as epic as Mass Effect 1 and it took a long time before it got good but it was still interesting. And Andromeda still has all the features that made the series great.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59079 Posts

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@uninspiredcup:

The original Mass Effect trilogy was amazing. It was like Star Trek or Orville and you were in command of your own ship. On that premise, we NEED to have it continue. I also got to play Andromeda, despite everyone's best efforts to convince me not to. And I honestly enjoyed it! The story wasn't as epic as Mass Effect 1 and it took a long time before it got good but it was still interesting. And Andromeda still has all the features that made the series great.

Mass Effect is closer to something like Firefly or (funnily enough) Andromeda where it's action/adventure.

Something something an ancient evil, you are the chosen one, bam bam bam bam, will they or won't they etc....

I suppose you could compare it to the recent incarnation of the Star Trek movies, but they themselves are not Star Trek. They are jocks in space fighting bad dudes with super biggerer super weapons who hate Federation because need reason.

DarthBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DarthBuzzard
Member since 2019 • 360 Posts

Hell no. Hand it over to another developer.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Yes it very much should. They fucked it up for good. Bioware needs to go, they are embarrassing themselves every game. They'd rather be woke than good.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

Don't. Even. GO THERE!!!! >:(

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10480 Posts

i loved mass effect 1 but daren't go back to it for fear of it not ageing well and tarnishing the good memories. didn't care much for me2 and bought but didn't play me3. played about an hour of andromeda, and struggled to find the will to keep going. so it's gonna be a no from me dawg.

looking forward to seeing how outer worlds turns out in just over a month

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

I liked Andromeda it's a good game if you don't go into it with huge expectations.

That said, EA are EA. After Anthem I now have every confidence in them that they could make another Mass Effect that's actually not only the worst ME to date, but one of the worst games ever made, with bullet holes in it where they literally riddled it to death with microtransactions.

So I'm going to say no. Remaster the original trilogy and let that be an end to it. Oh, and make sure EA have literally nothing to do with the remaster other than giving a nod of confirmation to the packaging of the box.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22389 Posts

That's a tough one... my love for the first 3 games is immense, so a big part of me would love to see the series continue.

But Andromeda was so mediocre (not horrible - but nowhere near the level of the trilogy), that I'm unsure whether Bioware/EA has it in them anymore to do the series justice.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

BioWare is dead a has been for a long time.. between the shitty dragon age 3( hey let’s make a mmorpg but single player), the mediocre andromeda ( stale boring crap) and the wasted potential anthem, i I think it’s time to realize that the BioWare we once knew who made classic like Baldurs gate, knights of the old republic, mass effect and dragon age are loooong gone... it pains me to say so, but I hope EA burys bioware soon...

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

As much as I loved the trilogy and still had fun with Andromeda, Mass Effect should be left alone now. Bioware is getting worse with each new game they release. I don't trust them with continuing the franchise the way things are now.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2947 Posts

I want many more Mass Effect games. I enjoyed them all, including Andromeda. In fact, Andromeda had a better story than Mass Effect 3.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

I liked andromeda despite its flaws. Would like a new game but I think the series is dead now.

BioWare might want to launch a new RPG series instead of Mass Effect/Dragon Age.

Next gen is almost here and that’s the best time to start a new franchise.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

I don't even remember what was so bad about Andromeda. I remember hearing/reading that it sucked, but I loved the trilogy, so I picked up Andromeda for 2 bucks when they had a desperation sale on Origin. I remember installing it and starting a game, but then nothing. After realizing it had been months since then, I looked and apparently I uninstalled after only playing for an hour. Even if it was pretty damn bad, I don't usually uninstall a game that quickly unless it's actually broken with bugs and glitches, but I don't recall anything specific.

Anybody have any ideas what I might have run into? I might reinstall and try it again soon. Got a hankering for space stuff.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#41 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Needs a long nap. Bioware needs to prove it's good again before touching the franchise again. Haven't played a good Bioware game in ages. Downfall started soon after Mass Effect 2. Dragon Age 2 and Inquisition left a bad taste in my mouth. Couldn't even finish them. ME3 had bad ending but they somehow managed to make a decent game overall. Everything they created since sucked. Hope CD Projekt will explore this genre after CP2077.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#42 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9866 Posts

There is nothing wrong with the IP. Exploring the universe, picking up companions, do some TPS with cool powers, making choices etc. It's still a great concept. They just need to find a team that can execute with quality. And to do so they need to focus more on making the best experience they can and less on how to monetize it.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#43 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24960 Posts

Mass effect was never good to begin with. I did played highest rated and most beloved Mass effect 2 and it was simply awful. if that is consider best then imagine how bad andromeda is.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Knowing EA, they will make it into an MMO years later.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

When games lose the way like this I would prefer the resources to allocated to other projects or a new project that is somewhat similar but no longer called Mass Effect. Give devs a chance to see things from a new perspective instead of being bogged down by conventions that clearly were not working for them anymore.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#46 deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
Member since 2009 • 619 Posts

I voted to let the series die, but I wanted to take a moment to elaborate on my reason. If Andromeda changed the title by removing the name Mass Effect. It would have had a better chance. It would have stood out and potentially led to sequels. Obviously, for this to work, they would have had to have changed the species of the main characters. I feel Andromeda would have succeeded. In my personal opinion, I think we still have a lot of material which can be used within the original Mass Effect series. One concept I would have loved to see more of is the war to end all wars with the Reapers in the ME3. There is so much material from multiple perspectives; think Battlefield 1. I would also love to see more space battles. Lastly, I once seen an article with an idea of going back to the origins of the Citidel and allowing us a chance to see how our galaxy was defeated from past wars. There is a lot Bioware can do, but unfortunately, that does not seem it will ever happen. Sadly. There is a lot of potential here. They can even make movies based off all of the above mentioned!