Should id software now make Doom 3 spritual successor?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

Hello friends,

So I wanted Quake 1 reboot but after playing Doom Eternal i no longer wanted it. the reason it Doom Eternal is Doom mixed with Quake. it has many Quake elements. making quake reboot would not be difference than it.

but then i think they should make next game as spritual successor to Doom 3. slower paced, horror, dark atmosphere with lighting over and over again. Doom 3 was masterpiece too and rival Half life 2 back in 2004.

so should they make something like Doom 3 again? lets discuss

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

They made a much better game off the principles of Doom 4, I would much rather we continue this trend of sped up action jackson FPS games.

Make a new IP, somewhat concerned that the first "fix" to Doom 6 will be them upping the ammo count, and making the enemies brain dead like Doom 4 again.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

Doom 3 was a dark dungeon crawler cause carmack shot for the moon and made an engine that no system could run.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

Given the negative connotation with that game, more chance of a UFO landing in your front-garden.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Just play Doom 3.

Honestly this obsession with nostalgia and constantly wanting to play the same old experiences is the reason why the mid tier developers died out.

Stop it guys, hasn't the corona virus woken you guys up yet?... Life is short and can end at any time for anyone, I don't want to play the same old games.

The only way I would be interested another game from ID is if it was a game in VR made from the ground up for it... Because as of right now all these developers who are making FPS games are one trick ponies making the same games over and over with little to no difference from the last that goes from BF to COD to Doom to Wolfenstein to Halo.

I just don't care for them, woop da doo better graphics same old games.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:

Given the negative connotation with that game, more chance of a UFO landing in your front-garden.

and most unnecessarily hated game that was Doom 3.

its just different but quality wise it was amazing. almost as good as Half life 2. kinda shame people cant accept change.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@ghosts4ever: Almost as good as HL2 LOL. I can tell you one thing, you non stop trolling isn't anywhere close to as good as HL2.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ghosts4ever

@vfighter said:

@ghosts4ever: Almost as good as HL2 LOL. I can tell you one thing, you non stop trolling isn't anywhere close to as good as HL2.

youare wrong. it was as good as HL2 and even have better atmosphere too.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

I thoroughly enjoyed Doom 3 so I would welcome another one like it and hope its good. I'd still be reluctant to buy it though as for me the Doom franchise has been well and truly tarnished with the last two games, reduced to a wave shooter with the excessive use of AVP 2k10 like glory kills to sell it.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@pelvist said:

Doom franchise has been well and truly tarnished with the last two games,

If anything 2 games save Doom franchise. and has been well liked by both gamers and critics a like.

only 1 or 2 people not like it doesnot mean franchise tranish.

Doom and Doom Eternal are masterpieces infact Doom Eternal is best FPS i have ever played after STALKER.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 pelvist

@ghosts4ever said:
@pelvist said:

If anything 2 games save Doom franchise. and has been well liked by both gamers and critics a like.

Doom and Doom Eternal are masterpieces infact Doom Eternal is best FPS i have ever played after STALKER.

That's nice but I'm allowed to not like what you like Ghost...

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

I played a little bit of the Switch version. Gunplay isn't satisfying ... but I'm not opposed to something that's a bit more horror.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a
deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13 deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a
Member since 2020 • 1426 Posts

Doom 3 was epic awesome. So was ROE. Scary as shit back then, remember upgrading my entire system to just play Doom 3 as i could't run and play it on a older system.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ghosts4ever

@pelvist said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@pelvist said:

even if you missed old Doom. you can play it within Eternal. a proper Doom 2 as mini game.

see how technology move. the game that was most ambitious game of its time. created FPS genre is now a mini game in later games. who would have thoughs.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

Probably my favourite DOOM game.

DOOM 3 and DOOM 2016 rank out on top.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ghosts4ever

@R4gn4r0k said:

Probably my favourite DOOM game.

DOOM 3 and DOOM 2016 rank out on top.

Early Doom games didnot age well. people are blinded by nostalgia actually.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By pelvist

@ghosts4ever said:
@pelvist said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@pelvist said:

even if you missed old Doom. you can play it within Eternal. a proper Doom 2 as mini game.

see how technology move. the game that was most ambitious game of its time. created FPS genre is now a mini game in later games. who would have thoughs.

Yeah, who would have thought of re-using good old content to pack their repetitive game with something different? Pitty the same ambition couldn't have been spent on Doom Eternal. The whole thing is sold on the Doom name that was made popular by those games of old, this game is Doom in name only and shares more gameplay similarity with Painkiller than it does Doom. Except the Painkiller games were more fun. :D

I don't miss the old Doom games. I can play the old Doom games whenever I want and do on occasion when there are cool mods like Brutal Doom, and ill certainly be playing the re-release of Doom 64 soon as I finish HL: Alyx (which is so good, you should try it). I doubt ill bother finishing Eternal, I just CBA. If anyone missed the old games it was the developers of these new ones when they were making Demon Wave Shooter 2016, it wouldn't surprise me if most of the team never even played them.

I rate Demon wave shooter 2016 7/10 and what iv played of its expansion 4/10. You won't change my mind no matter how hard you try.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@pelvist said:

Yeah, who would have thought of re-using good old content to pack their repetitive game with something different? Pitty the same ambition couldn't have been spent on Doom Eternal. The whole thing is sold on the Doom name that was made popular by those games of old, this game is Doom in name only and shares more gameplay similarity with Painkiller than it does Doom. Except the Painkiller games were more fun. :D

Doom 1 and 2 were good for thier times. now they are incredibly dated thats why they use as mini games and browser based games.

Doom Eternal show id software passion to develop it. its most varied, longest, and deepest Doom game. every game is in Doom only since 3. THEY ARE DIFFERENT than each other.

and lol at painkiller better. no AI just enemy running at you. yawn.

@pelvist said:

I don't miss the old Doom games. I can play the old Doom games whenever I want and do on occasion when there are cool mods like Brutal Doom, and ill certainly be playing the re-release of Doom 64 soon as I finish HL: Alyx (which is so good, you should try it). I doubt ill bother finishing Eternal, I just CBA. If anyone missed the old games it was the developers of these new ones when they were making Demon Wave Shooter 2016, it wouldn't surprise me if most of the team never even played them.

yes you made your point. Doom 1 and 2 are unplayable unless you play brutal Doom mod. no one going to play games with no free mouse look today. beside in Doom 1 and 2 you can complete level in few minutes too.

Doom Eternal have just more depth to its gameplay.

@pelvist said:

I rate Demon wave shooter 2016 7/10 and what iv played of its expansion 4/10. You won't change my mind no matter how hard you try.

oh right. based on few minutes when first 2 level are not quite good and then game open up after 3rd and 4th. your loss then. why did you bought it if you know it was going to be expansion pack??

I have played every major FPS from early 90s to onwards and i found its one of the best FPS of all time. easily.

theres the reason why they are very positive on steam. bunch of old fans end up enjoying them.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/379720/DOOM/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/782330/DOOM_Eternal/

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#19 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

@pelvist said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@pelvist said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@pelvist said:

I don't miss the old Doom games. I can play the old Doom games whenever I want and do on occasion when there are cool mods like Brutal Doom, and ill certainly be playing the re-release of Doom 64 soon as I finish HL: Alyx. I doubt ill bother finishing Eternal, I just CBA. If anyone missed the old games it was the developers of these new ones when they were making Demon Wave Shooter 2016, it wouldn't surprise me if most of the team never even played them.

Demon Wave Shooter 2016 sums up my feelings about Doom 2016 perfectly.

OT, Doom 3 was a great game. I enjoyed the atmosphere and horror of that game way more than the 2016 game.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3221 Posts

Since you are no longer interested in a Quake 1 reboot. What about Quake II instead?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Absolutely. But Capcom should handle it. PDA ribbons. Mr X Cacodemon.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

action jackson

That's going back a ways..... I remember seeing that as a kid.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ghosts4ever

@AcidTango said:

Since you are no longer interested in a Quake 1 reboot. What about Quake II instead?

its going to be MP game. so meh.

I never cared about Quake other than original.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

DOOM 3 was a great tech demo but a terrible game.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3221 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@AcidTango said:

its going to be MP game. so meh.

I never cared about Quake other than original.

I actually liked Quake 2 a lot. Yeah it was dumb that id Software struggled in finding a name for it and just called it Quake 2 but it still had a good single player gameplay.

mtron32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mtron32
Member since 2006 • 4432 Posts

Doom 3 was trash, I could barely see anything when I tried to play it. The fact that I'm playing a super soldier in the future that doesn't have a flash light mod on every gun he owns was dumb as hell, even when people modded the flashlight onto it it was too late, fucc that game. Doom 16 was great and Eternal is awesome, I can see everything

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

@mtron32 said:

Doom 3 was trash, I could barely see anything when I tried to play it. The fact that I'm playing a super soldier in the future that doesn't have a flash light mod on every gun he owns was dumb as hell, even when people modded the flashlight onto it it was too late, fucc that game. Doom 16 was great and Eternal is awesome, I can see everything

DOOM 3 was limited by its engine. It couldn't render large number enemies without killing performance, so id's solution was to put only a few enemies on screen and then shroud them in darkness to, I don't know, make the game more challenging because you couldn't see what you were shooting at?

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 R10nu
Member since 2006 • 1679 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

its just different but quality wise it was amazing.

@ghosts4ever said:

Early Doom games didnot age well.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ghosts4ever

@R10nu said:
@ghosts4ever said:

its just different but quality wise it was amazing.

@ghosts4ever said:

Early Doom games didnot age well.

I am right. Doom 3 was masterpiece too. when i first played it, the dark atmosphere blew me away. the whole flashlight system was very innovative.

early doom games really didnot age well. thats why they are mini games in Doom Eternal and im also playing Doom 2 in Doom Eternal. for early 90s they were like best thing ever but now? no free mouse look. meh.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Doom Eternal is excactly what I want from ID. Don’t know what they could do to top it honestly. Not really into slow paced horror shooters. Doesn’t feel like it suits ID either.

At the same time I wonder if there’s enough left to do, to create a third one in this style.

Interesting to see what they will do.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ghosts4ever

@Sushiglutton said:

Doom Eternal is excactly what I want from ID. Don’t know what they could do to top it honestly.

thats true but apparently some people think its not Doom game blah blah because its not carbon copy of Doom 1 with no free mouse look and no voice acting etc.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@Sushiglutton said:

Doom Eternal is excactly what I want from ID. Don’t know what they could do to top it honestly.

thats true but apparently some people think its not Doom game blah blah because its not carbon copy of Doom 1 with no free mouse look and no voice acting etc.

Yeah there will always be those people... Eternal is vastly superior in terms of adrenaline rush, that’s for sure.

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 R10nu
Member since 2006 • 1679 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

the dark atmosphere blew me away.

Who gives a shit what blew you away, really. For all we know remembering to pull your pants down before taking a dump might send you over the rainbow.

Back in real world doom 3 is a dogshit shooter with dogshit gunplay, boring-ass dogshit hitscan enemies with dogshit on-hit feedback, shittiest flashlight mechanics in observable universe and dogshit sound design.

Pretty graphics made it just barely salvageable back in 2004, except Far Cry and Riddick came out earlier and wrecked it in that department while being better games.

So doom 3 finding its new home at the back of gaming history's junkyard is well justified.

Just like Classic Doom's pedestal of most gracefully-aged videogames in history alongside Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Metroid.

There's a good reason it still has a very active mapping/modding community that'll literally outlive you.

mtron32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mtron32
Member since 2006 • 4432 Posts

@dzimm said:
@mtron32 said:

DOOM 3 was limited by its engine. It couldn't render large number enemies without killing performance, so id's solution was to put only a few enemies on screen and then shroud them in darkness to, I don't know, make the game more challenging because you couldn't see what you were shooting at?

I get that they were trying to make it challenging but what they did was make it annoying by having the player switch from flashlight to gun. That doesn't make any sense for the setting or protagonist.