Should funding a multiplatform series, to make its sequel an exclusive, be considered moneyhatting?

• 59 results
GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#52 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts
@Star67 said:

I think it depends on the game.

Some of the games, such as Shenmue and possibly DMC5 might not have been made without backing from Sony.

Games like Tomb Raider and Street Fighter 5 probably would have been made anyway, so yes we should shame since this limits how many people can play.

Shenmue 3 is crowd funded as well as having backing from Sony. It very much has to be on PC as well as PlayStation as some of the funding has come from the pockets of PC gamers.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#53  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@jumpaction said:

Nah I don't think so. I don't see what's wrong with it. Funding has to come from somewhere and if a third party publisher won't fund it, or if there funding isn't enough, then I think it's okay for a console manufacturer to jump in and take over.

Regrettably, the end result is an exclusive game. The exact thing happened with Bayonetta 2 - which brought the franchise exclusively to a platform where the original game was open for everyone to play. That is better than the game not existing though.

^ This can't believe people still salty over Bayonetta 2...otherwise there would be no Bayonetta 2..guess salty fanboys rather have that rather than it be funded by one party so it becomes exclusive.

Don't see a problem either rather a game exist...because its funded by one party & becomes an exclusive rather than having it not exist at all...doesn't matter if previous series was multiplat in the past...what happens is now. :P

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#54 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20148 Posts
@Shewgenja said:
@ahmedkhan1994 said:

@Shewgenja: by that logic, if EA, Ubisoft, and other third party developers and publishers decided to make their games exclusive to PS4, or simply not to release them on Xbox, because the Xbox is so unpopular, it would be justified?

Happened to the Dreamcast.

And WiiU

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#55 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15965 Posts

Thought DMC was a sony exclusive at first. I doubt xbox users going to get mad much, the series is not really associated with xbox as much as ps and not sold as much there to build a strong fanbase. Tomb raider got announced exclusive got so much hate was because the series is always closely associated with ps and sold best there.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#56 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Nope. There's a big difference in funding a game as opposed to paying to keep a game off another platform.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts
@sakaixx said:

Thought DMC was a sony exclusive at first. I doubt xbox users going to get mad much, the series is not really associated with xbox as much as ps and not sold as much there to build a strong fanbase. Tomb raider got announced exclusive got so much hate was because the series is always closely associated with ps and sold best there.

They won't admit to being mad but they will be mad. They will dismiss it as a "weeb" game. Monster Hunter was never on Xbox before this year and MHW sold a ton on Xbone. Look how excited a lot of Xbox fanboys are getting over rumors that Nier Automata might be getting ported to Xbone. And DMC is a bigger deal than either of those.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Blackhairedhero
Member since 2018 • 3231 Posts

@ahmedkhan1994: Not true... Devil may cry 1,2, and 3 were all exclusive to PS2. It didn't go multiplat until Devil may cry 4.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@sakaixx said:

They won't admit to being mad but they will be mad. They will dismiss it as a "weeb" game. Monster Hunter was never on Xbox before this year and MHW sold a ton on Xbone. Look how excited a lot of Xbox fanboys are getting over rumors that Nier Automata might be getting ported to Xbone. And DMC is a bigger deal than either of those.

Just quoting for truth. Everyone knows what time it is except the XBox Defense Force up in this mudda.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8501 Posts

@Star67 said:

I think it depends on the game.

Some of the games, such as Shenmue and possibly DMC5 might not have been made without backing from Sony.

Games like Tomb Raider and Street Fighter 5 probably would have been made anyway, so yes we should shame since this limits how many people can play.

Sony didn't back Shenmue.