Shenmue III Lands New Character Art, Global Publishing Partner

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9730 Posts

It's nice to know that Shenmue III got a new publishing partner. What are your thoughts?

Shenmue III Lands New Character Art, Global Publishing Partner

We were promised new Shenmue III information at Gamescom 2017 next week, and developer Ys Net has prefaced that with fresh artwork and news of a publishing partnership. Deep Silver – who seems to enjoy working with Kickstarter successes – has announced that it will publish the long-awaited sequel on the PlayStation 4 (and PC, pedants) when it releases both physically and digitally next year.

You may be wondering why Deep Silver is doing the honours, and not SEGA or Sony. Well, remember that the Shenmue brand has been licensed by SEGA to Yu Suzuki and his team, so it’s not really involved in the project at all – aside from, we suspect, taking a cut of the profits. Sony, meanwhile, mostly pledged marketing support to the game, so its relationship with the release is similar to that of, say, Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice recently. So that’s why Deep Silver has been brought on board.

We suppose there’s still plenty of time for the studio to fix things up, though. Yu Suzuki will be meeting and greeting fans at Gamescom 2017 on both 23rd and 24th August in the general admission entertainment area.

http://wccftech.com/shenmue-iii-publisher-deep-silver/

Publisher Deep Silver has released a press release concerning the publishing deal with Ys Net:

“Shenmue is one of a few game franchises that have historical value whilst continuing to ignite passion across gamers. We are delighted to have signed this publishing partnership and look forward to utilizing our global publishing network to maximize the potential of this highly anticipated game,” said Dr. Klemens Kundratitz, CEO of Koch Media/Deep Silver.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

I can't wait!

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Yuss! Been truly waiting for this :)

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

I should get one of these.

Maybe I should get another.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GameboyTroy

Anyone else have something to say?

Sphensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sphensen
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

@GameboyTroy said:

how about a game of lucky hit?

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I don't like the new logo but I can get over that.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44100 Posts

I'll play the definitive Mighty X1X 4K 60 fps version, can't wait. :P

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

I am a HUGE Shenmue fan but it's audience is shrinking daily. I am not hopeful for it as a viable commercial success. Hell it wasn't successful when it was released initially. So really it boils down to a few people bought Shenmue 1, fewer people bought Shenmue 2, and even less will buy Shenmue 3.

Seems like a rerelease of the first two games would be better for Shenmue III to get others excited about the story. Or maybe releasing an info disc with all of the cut scenes. Shenmue II was released 2001. Who still remembers all the ins and out of Ryo's saga? More importantly, who cares?

Personally Shenmue series is the best set of games I have ever played.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

I just want those remasters above everything. Not that I wouldn't take a straight rerelease. Digging out the DC or emulating isn't the same. But the thought of playing the games again with modern bells and whistles like HD does get me a little excited.

One of the most evocative soundtracks of all time for me, one of the most fascinating games. And I know it wont be for everyone but, who cares?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#11 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19574 Posts
@GameboyTroy said:

Do you know where I can find some sailors?

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By GameboyTroy

A new trailer has been shown for the game.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2017/08/gamescom_2017_heres_your_first_look_at_shenmue_iii_on_ps4

Loading Video...

SinjinSmythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 SinjinSmythe
Member since 2008 • 1049 Posts

I'm surprised they didn't beg for money again and have a hyperlink to their kickstater.

Please save Shitmue (and give lots of money)

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

After seeing the trailer, I'm definitely sure the logo needs to go back to the original. Shenhua's face needs more work as well as it obviously doesn't look like Shenhua yet.

Beyond that, I'm impressed. It has a Shenmue feel to it which to me means Yu Suzuki has been successful thus far. I'm really looking forward to this.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jag85

@GameboyTroy: The environments look good, but the characters look off... They just don't look as good as the old Dreamcast character models in the Shenmue Passport Disc... they could've just used those character models and updated them in HD.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#17 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

I was hoping for Yakuza level of character model quality .. but I guess I was too hopeful .... faces need to be improved for sure but still hyped.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GameboyTroy

@Jag85 said:

@GameboyTroy: The environments look good, but the characters look off... They just don't look as good as the old Dreamcast character models in the Shenmue Passport Disc... they could've just used those character models and updated them in HD.

That's how the game is at this point graphically. The characters need more work. There seems to be a Shenmue music stream going on if you like the music of the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mrHNVFX-6k

EndofAugust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By EndofAugust
Member since 2017 • 812 Posts

Everything looks okay good with the exception of the characters, one thing I really dislike about Unreal Engine 4 though is that it looks like it's got this soft and hazy look to everything. It's hard to describe but I am largely not a huge fan of the engine in most implementations.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jag85

@GameboyTroy said:
@Jag85 said:

That's how the game is at this point graphically. The characters need more work. There seems to be a Shenmue music stream going on if you like the music of the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mrHNVFX-6k

Music sounds good. Definitely lives up to Shenmue standards.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Never played the first two back in the day because it seemed way to boring for my taste at that time, but Im pretty interested now. If they include HD version of the original 2 games I'd be sold.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Character models look... not good, especially Shenhua. I'm hoping for the best, but I'm not going in with the highest expectations.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@GameboyTroy said:

A new trailer has been shown for the game.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2017/08/gamescom_2017_heres_your_first_look_at_shenmue_iii_on_ps4

Loading Video...

2yrs and that's all they have to show, at this rate the game won't be out until 2020 at the earliest :(

As a massive Sega/Shenmue fan, all I can say is this is going to be a massive let down.

EndofAugust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 EndofAugust
Member since 2017 • 812 Posts

I find it very odd that they have gotten an official publisher and this game is still only on PlayStation 4. This isn't any kind of System Wars related nonsense, it's worrying. For a game like this, one which was a hard sell even when it was new and failed because of poor sales, it makes absolutely zero sense to me that they are not trying to expand to as many platforms as possible.

This series being ended is entirely stringent on the success of this game, tying it into a single console platform is a mistake.

PinkAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PinkAnimal
Member since 2017 • 2380 Posts

@endofaugust said:

I find it very odd that they have gotten an official publisher and this game is still only on PlayStation 4. This isn't any kind of System Wars related nonsense, it's worrying. For a game like this, one which was a hard sell even when it was new and failed because of poor sales, it makes absolutely zero sense to me that they are not trying to expand to as many platforms as possible.

This series being ended is entirely stringent on the success of this game, tying it into a single console platform is a mistake.

Porting the game takes resources. The developer would have to invest to port the game to the worst selling console this gen and with a shitty audience that has mostly a one-track mind and that makes fun of games that are not sticking to the HaloGearsForza formula. I'm saying the developer is smart to be weary about porting it but there's still hope for you lemmings. The problem is you guys are probably not going to buy it when it gets ported.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts
@Jag85 said:

Do you know where I can find some sailors?

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#28  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

Shenmue was never good.