Seems that all PS3 developers utilizes the Hard Disk extensively.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Vicious_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Vicious_T
Member since 2003 • 135 Posts
Whats with all these 500mb-4gb installations for PS3 games. Developers seem to love the integrated HD unlike X360 where it holds developers back with separating HD with the core, an using limited space last gen DVD rom.
Uptown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Uptown
Member since 2002 • 10348 Posts
i dont own a single game that installs 4gb to the HD.
daveg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 daveg1
Member since 2005 • 20405 Posts
its to keep loading times down since b/ray is slow.the only thing is 60 gig is going to get small fast when you 've got a lot of games.
hyperboy152000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 hyperboy152000
Member since 2003 • 4815 Posts

i dont own a single game that installs 4gb to the HD.Uptown

you can install the entirety of NG sigma onto the HDD or just partially or none at all

Uptown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Uptown

[QUOTE="Uptown"]i dont own a single game that installs 4gb to the HD.hyperboy152000

you can install the entirety of NG sigma onto the HDD or just partially or none at all

so you have the option? Ok what was the point of this thread?  I could see if they forced you to install 4GB. but they dont..its merely for load times if they do that anyways 

Vicious_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Vicious_T
Member since 2003 • 135 Posts

its to keep loading times down since b/ray is slow.the only thing is 60 gig is going to get small fast when you 've got a lot of games.daveg1

It only cost me $100 to upgrade to 200gb for PS3.

hyperboy152000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hyperboy152000

its to keep loading times down since b/ray is slow.the only thing is 60 gig is going to get small fast when you 've got a lot of games.daveg1

just buy a 120 gig hdd.....still less expensive (~80 $) then the 20 gig hdd for the 360

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts

[QUOTE="Uptown"]i dont own a single game that installs 4gb to the HD.hyperboy152000

When cows were bashing the Xbox for being a PC in a different shell, they didn't see this coming. Installing games to the HDD, just like a PC does.

hyperboy152000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hyperboy152000
[QUOTE="hyperboy152000"]

[QUOTE="Uptown"]i dont own a single game that installs 4gb to the HD.Uptown

so you have the option? Ok what was the point of this thread?  I could see if they forced you to install 4GB. but they dont..its merely for load times if they do that anyways 

the TC is merely stating that there is the option for everyone who owns a ps3 unlike with the 360 (thats his thoughts not mine)

daveg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 daveg1
Member since 2005 • 20405 Posts

[QUOTE="daveg1"]its to keep loading times down since b/ray is slow.the only thing is 60 gig is going to get small fast when you 've got a lot of games.Vicious_T

that is the beuty of the ps3 note book hdd!
VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

Whats with all these 500mb-4gb installations for PS3 games. Developers seem to love the integrated HD unlike X360 where it holds developers back with separating HD with the core, an using limited space last gen DVD rom.Vicious_T

And yet, the benefit to the PS3 games is marginal at best.

When MS talked to game devs, what they wanted most was 512mb ram. 

SageJMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 SageJMP
Member since 2004 • 4210 Posts
I have 1 game that requires 5GB, and that is ridge racer 7.  But I had the option to install it to reduce loading times, I wasn't forced to do it.  And once I was officially done with the game, meaning 100%, I simply un-install it.
Uptown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Uptown
[QUOTE="Uptown"][QUOTE="hyperboy152000"]

so you have the option? Ok what was the point of this thread? I could see if they forced you to install 4GB. but they dont..its merely for load times if they do that anyways

the TC is merely stating that there is the option for everyone who owns a ps3 unlike with the 360 (thats his thoughts not mine)

I guess....I mean...its good and its bad...its good because it would debunk any crappy load time arguments from the bd-drive, its bad because well, it would fill up the HD quick.....

hyperboy152000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hyperboy152000
[QUOTE="hyperboy152000"]

[QUOTE="Uptown"]i dont own a single game that installs 4gb to the HD.SpruceCaboose

When cows were bashing the Xbox for being a PC in a different shell, they didn't see this coming. Installing games to the HDD, just like a PC does.

they were just jelous that the xbox had a HDD when the ps2 HDD might as well never exsisted

MGS9150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MGS9150
Member since 2004 • 2491 Posts

Blu ray isnt slow, its as fast as dvd 9. Thats why oblivion has faster loading times on Ps3, that and because open GL is more efficient at using ram than Direct X and the ps3 doesnt have to uncompress textures and stuff. 

rwbojorquez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rwbojorquez
Member since 2003 • 1031 Posts

You don't know what you are talking about.  Required disk is if you want to install part of the game so it can load faster because the blue-ray suppose to take longer. Has nothing to do with space 4gigs compare to 9gigs on dvd does not make sence. 

hyperboy152000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hyperboy152000
[QUOTE="hyperboy152000"][QUOTE="Uptown"][QUOTE="hyperboy152000"]

so you have the option? Ok what was the point of this thread? I could see if they forced you to install 4GB. but they dont..its merely for load times if they do that anyways

I guess....I mean...its good and its bad...its good because it would debunk any crappy load time arguments from the bd-drive, its bad because well, it would fill up the HD quick.....

thats the trade off...which is why there is the option insted of being forced to install it....its really about how much HDD space you have (if you bought a higher capacity HDD) and how much your willing to deal with load times

the1stmoonfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 the1stmoonfly
Member since 2006 • 3293 Posts
[QUOTE="hyperboy152000"]

OK, fine, just one quesion then, whats the 25 Gb disc for, or even, what happens when games do fill a Blu-ray disc. Ouch! :?
hyperboy152000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hyperboy152000
[QUOTE="Uptown"][QUOTE="hyperboy152000"]

[QUOTE="Uptown"]i dont own a single game that installs 4gb to the HD.the1stmoonfly

OK, fine, just one quesion then, whats the 25 Gb disc for, or even, what happens when games do fill a Blu-ray disc. Ouch! :?

the 25 GB is (in theory) so the devs dont have to compress data thus allowing the disk to stream information onto the HDD (vs just installing part/all the game onto the HDD) once the devs utilize all the disk space then as far as i can see that mean no one will have to install any part of a game (sept patches and the like) onto the hard drive

JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts

[QUOTE="daveg1"]its to keep loading times down since b/ray is slow.the only thing is 60 gig is going to get small fast when you 've got a lot of games.MGS9150

Blu ray isnt slow, its as fast as dvd 9. Thats why oblivion has faster loading times on Ps3, that and because open GL is more efficient at using ram than Direct X and the ps3 doesnt have to uncompress textures and stuff. 

"Overall, we know that the Xbox 360 drive reads data faster than PS3's. While the Blu-ray drive might consistently read data at the same speed, the 360 drive is faster at reading data on the outer layers of the DVD disc; and that's were devs tend to put the biggest files."

That's from a joystiq.com article talking about porting Oblivion to PS3. It loads faster than 360 because they double up the data on the disc.

VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts
[QUOTE="MGS9150"]

[QUOTE="daveg1"]its to keep loading times down since b/ray is slow.the only thing is 60 gig is going to get small fast when you 've got a lot of games.JiveT

"Overall, we know that the Xbox 360 drive reads data faster than PS3's. While the Blu-ray drive might consistently read data at the same speed, the 360 drive is faster at reading data on the outer layers of the DVD disc; and that's were devs tend to put the biggest files."

That's from a joystiq.com article talking about porting Oblivion to PS3. It loads faster than 360 because they double up the data on the disc.

I thought Resistence devs did this also.

the1stmoonfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 the1stmoonfly
Member since 2006 • 3293 Posts
[QUOTE="the1stmoonfly"][QUOTE="Uptown"][QUOTE="hyperboy152000"]

the 25 GB is (in theory) so the devs dont have to compress data thus allowing the disk to stream information onto the HDD (vs just installing part/all the game onto the HDD) once the devs utilize all the disk space then as far as i can see that mean no one will have to install any part of a game (sept patches and the like) onto the hard drive

Fair enough. (if this is true, i dont know)
Fhiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#23 Fhiz
Member since 2004 • 7718 Posts
i dont own a single game that installs 4gb to the HD.Uptown
go buy oblivion, you basically install the whole game on to the harddrive. I think just a half gig more and you would have. seriously, why buy the disc?
CwlHeddwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 CwlHeddwyn
Member since 2005 • 5314 Posts
Whats with all these 500mb-4gb installations for PS3 games. Developers seem to love the integrated HD unlike X360 where it holds developers back with separating HD with the core, an using limited space last gen DVD rom.Vicious_T
what you seemed to have missed is that with only a 2x BR drive inside the PS3- developers have no OPTION BUT TO USE the HDD if they want decent loading times.
ChiChiMonKilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ChiChiMonKilla
Member since 2007 • 2339 Posts

[QUOTE="Vicious_T"]Whats with all these 500mb-4gb installations for PS3 games. Developers seem to love the integrated HD unlike X360 where it holds developers back with separating HD with the core, an using limited space last gen DVD rom.CwlHeddwyn
what you seemed to have missed is that with only a 2x BR drive inside the PS3- developers have no OPTION BUT TO USE the HDD if they want decent loading times.

I swapped my ps3's hd to a 100 gig 7200rpm and it was worth it basically there is no loading for games even oblivion I borrowed from a friend has hardly any loading. Even before the swap loading was about the same or faster compaired to my 360.

CwlHeddwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CwlHeddwyn

[QUOTE="daveg1"]its to keep loading times down since b/ray is slow.the only thing is 60 gig is going to get small fast when you 've got a lot of games.MGS9150

2x BluRay is similar to 10x DVD- but the X360 has a 12x DVD (& newer X360 drives are actually slightly faster again)
TREAL_Since

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TREAL_Since
Member since 2005 • 11946 Posts
[QUOTE="Vicious_T"]

[QUOTE="daveg1"]its to keep loading times down since b/ray is slow.the only thing is 60 gig is going to get small fast when you 've got a lot of games.daveg1

that is the beuty of the ps3 note book hdd!

Dang...compared to $100 for a 360 20 gig :?.
asdasd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 asdasd
Member since 2005 • 4464 Posts
I cant wait for Ninja Gaiden Sigma.. Thats the first game that I'm actually gona use the Hard Drive on lol. No loading times at all? YES PLEASE
ChiChiMonKilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ChiChiMonKilla
[QUOTE="MGS9150"]

[QUOTE="daveg1"]its to keep loading times down since b/ray is slow.the only thing is 60 gig is going to get small fast when you 've got a lot of games.CwlHeddwyn

2x BluRay is similar to 10x DVD- but the X360 has a 12x DVD (& newer X360 drives are actually slightly faster again)

This is how people abuse stats it's true that the 360 has a 12x dvd player but it only hits that speed for less than 1/2 the 4.5 gig single layer disc, the inside of the disc reads at 6x. On dual layer the max speed is only 8x for the 360 and only gets worse. Blu-ray's drive speed is the same for the whole disc. So for games in the real world blu-ray drive is actually as fast or faster unless the 360 game is 2 gigs in size. Also most 360 games are compressed that drops the speed even further compared to the uncompressed data on the ps3's blu-ray disc.

Hoobinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Hoobinator
Member since 2006 • 6899 Posts
[QUOTE="CwlHeddwyn"][QUOTE="MGS9150"]

[QUOTE="daveg1"]its to keep loading times down since b/ray is slow.the only thing is 60 gig is going to get small fast when you 've got a lot of games.ChiChiMonKilla

This is how people abuse stats it's true that the 360 has a 12x dvd player but it only hits that speed for less than 1/2 the 4.5 gig single layer disc, the inside of the disc reads at 6x. On dual layer the max speed is only 8x for the 360 and only gets worse. Blu-ray's drive speed is the same for the whole disc. So for games in the real world blu-ray drive is actually as fast or faster unless the 360 game is 2 gigs in size. Also most 360 games are compressed that drops the speed even further compared to the uncompressed data on the ps3's blu-ray disc.

And yet a lot of PS3 games show quite bad loading times. The 360 also de-compresses data in real time, MS made it do that, it's called actually thinking about the hardware and creating a balanced system unlike off the shelf components on the PS3. 

CwlHeddwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 CwlHeddwyn
BluRays drive Speed IS NOT the same for the whole disk- BluRay has similar reading issues that DVD has too
ChiChiMonKilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ChiChiMonKilla
[QUOTE="ChiChiMonKilla"][QUOTE="CwlHeddwyn"][QUOTE="MGS9150"]

[QUOTE="daveg1"]its to keep loading times down since b/ray is slow.the only thing is 60 gig is going to get small fast when you 've got a lot of games.Hoobinator

And yet a lot of PS3 games show quite bad loading times. The 360 also de-compresses data in real time, MS made it do that, it's called actually thinking about the hardware and creating a balanced system unlike off the shelf components on the PS3.

My ps3 had no problems with loading compared to my 360 but after I changed my ps3's hard drive to a 7200rpm it barely loads at all. Try that with your 360 and see what happens ??

ChiChiMonKilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ChiChiMonKilla

BluRays drive Speed IS NOT the same for the whole disk- BluRay has similar reading issues that DVD has tooCwlHeddwyn

Dis is a joke right or I am going to put this in my sig !!!Â