Sea of Thieves Review Update :A Voyage Finally Worth Taking (Gamespot) 8/10

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

39981

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 66

User Lists: 0

#1 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 39981 Posts

Well its not typical to re-review games but it seems like Gamespot saw a need to.

Review

THE GOOD

Rare has spent two years building on the game's strong foundation with features, tools, and systems that improve the core gameplay

The newly added emissary system is a brilliant solution that incentivizes various play styles in smart waysShips of every size feel great to control, whether you're coordinating a galleon with three friends or soloing a sloop

Unlike at launch, there are now countless things to do, whether you want to fight other players, engage with "Tall Tale" story missions, hunt skeleton fleets, or have any number of other adventures

The tension created by the possibility of being attacked at any moment has been enhanced by various new systems

THE BAD

Despite new tools that alleviate some grind, the level of investment required for certain ranks and unlocks can feel exploitative still

At high levels, short sessions feel unrewarding, creating the need to play for long stretches without breaks

Some bugs and balance issues have persisted for a long time

Did Sea of Thieves.... Unflop?😂

But then again, who takes Gamespot reviews seriously anyway.

Avatar image for madrocketeer
madrocketeer

7360

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 7360 Posts

Yet another thing for soulless corporations to point to and say; "our shitty live service game will turn good eventually, just be patient," while continuing to launch broken half-finished garbage.

Good on Rare, I suppose, but - and this is nothing personally against them - I just kind of wish their game along with others like No Man's Sky and R6: Siege didn't exist the way they did.

Avatar image for bluestars
Bluestars

1020

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 1020 Posts

8-10

It’s official S0T is off the flop list and into the very good game bracket

You live by the scores,you die by the scores

HaH

Avatar image for Sevenizz
Sevenizz

4921

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 4921 Posts

I had fun at the beginning. I think I’ll DL the updates and give it another visit. Thanks for the reminder! A few people on my friend’s list are constantly playing this game.

Avatar image for Archangel3371
Archangel3371

30657

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 30657 Posts

Nice to see them turn things around for the game. I really liked the look of the game graphically but it just didn’t seem like there was enough to interest me in it at first. I am tempted to give it a go now. Really wish they would bring out these type of games out when they are more ready and up to snuff. I really can’t imagine these things are any more financially beneficial then having a better product coming out from the get go.

Avatar image for DragonfireXZ95
DragonfireXZ95

26048

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26048 Posts

It finally has a price that might be worthy of admission as well. The 60 dollars they originally launched it at was outrageous for the content included.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

5958

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 5958 Posts

"Sea of Thieves. It's good now... we swear!"

Avatar image for fedor
Fedor

6869

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#8 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 6869 Posts

SoT has been pretty solid for a while now. Still need friends for the full expirence. Easily the best game to grief in currently.

Avatar image for adsparky
adsparky

1748

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 0

#9 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 1748 Posts

It's good that they are fulfilling some promises, but is way too wrong that they expect us to buy an unfinished product in hopes they will make it right along the way.

Avatar image for Antwan3K
Antwan3K

4562

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 4562 Posts

I've been playing the game on and off since launch and I can say with complete confidence that the vast majority of the game additions and updates were made due to in-game feedback and gameplay dynamics that can only come from the game actually being out in the wild.. As a result, this is a hand-crafted sandbox that is a direct result of player input..

That's good and all, but honestly, that's what the Game Preview program is for.. I felt like the game had a really solid foundation at launch but in hindsight, the $60 asking price was too much.. It should have launched at $30 like State of Decay 2 or it should have stayed in Game Preview until it was at least to the point of the Anniversary Update in terms of content in order to justify a full price tag..

The game is still really fun, the community is packed thanks to Game Pass, and the re-reviews by both IGN and GameSpot officially illustrate a great game at 8/10.. Congratulations to Rare for their continued support and Sea of Theives looks to be a longterm pillar of Game Pass.. But things could have (and should have) been handled better on the front-end..

Avatar image for davillain-
DaVillain-

42468

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#11 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 42468 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95 said:

It finally has a price that might be worthy of admission as well. The 60 dollars they originally launched it at was outrageous for the content included.

I play it for free when it was on Gamepass during its launch. Even MS knew $60 was outrages, so it was nice they included towards Gamepass.

Its been awhile since I played Sea of Thieves, might dive into the seas again before TLOU2 release.

Avatar image for lamprey263
lamprey263

36907

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#12 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 36907 Posts

I had fun with it before they piled on even more stuff, might have to go see what's new.

Avatar image for daredevils2k
Daredevils2k

2353

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#13 Daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 2353 Posts

Congrats , SOT went from shi*Ty, to just OKay.

Avatar image for sealionact
sealionact

5352

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#14 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 5352 Posts

Played it on and off since launch, and Rare have done a good job with the updates. Has always been gorgeous to look at, and good its finally done enough to get the credit it deserves...

Avatar image for with_teeth26
with_teeth26

10052

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#15 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 10052 Posts

Its a lot better than it was. if you have a few friends to play with its a blast.

IMO its more fun to dick around and attack other players/deal with AI ships than to do the actual quests though.

Avatar image for Sevenizz
Sevenizz

4921

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#16 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 4921 Posts

@daredevils2k: It was never shitty, just lacked content at the beginning. There was still a lot of fun with friends . But same could be said with most online games and good friends.

Avatar image for i_p_daily
I_P_Daily

16767

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#17 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 16767 Posts

Cows sure are quite up in here lol.

I've never played the game and still don't have any interest in it.

Avatar image for Livecommander
Livecommander

1271

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#18 Livecommander
Member since 2009 • 1271 Posts

This is Obviously a new thing they're doing. There plenty of Sony games that got better too. So be careful how you talk in here lems lol

I remember when yall complained that death stranding had its own page only to realize that it what they are doing with every big game release now

Avatar image for sakaixx
sakaiXx

8026

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#19 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 8026 Posts

NO.

Avatar image for briguyb13
briguyb13

4040

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#20 briguyb13
Member since 2007 • 4040 Posts

@sakaixx said:

NO.

You know, it's OK to enjoy more than just one brand's games. I know, I'm wasting my time here.

Avatar image for sakaixx
sakaiXx

8026

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#21 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 8026 Posts

@briguyb13 said:
@sakaixx said:

NO.

You know, it's OK to enjoy more than just one brand's games. I know, I'm wasting my time here.

of course that is why I have a Switch. too bad one of the games I played was Xenoblade 2, bad game.

Avatar image for briguyb13
briguyb13

4040

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#22 briguyb13
Member since 2007 • 4040 Posts

called it...

Avatar image for i_p_daily
I_P_Daily

16767

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#23 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 16767 Posts

@Livecommander said:

This is Obviously a new thing they're doing. There plenty of Sony games that got better too. So be careful how you talk in here lems lol

I remember when yall complained that death stranding had its own page only to realize that it what they are doing with every big game release now

Yeah nah

GS Street Fighter 5 review in 2016 it got a 7/10

&

GS Street Fighter Arcade Edition review 2018 it got a 9/10

You cows have such bad memories.

Avatar image for hardwenzen
hardwenzen

1654

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#24 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 1654 Posts

Launches empty. Takes 2 years to have okay content. This is just like Destiny, f those games.

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
mrbojangles25

46888

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#25 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 46888 Posts

@Sevenizz said:

I had fun at the beginning. I think I’ll DL the updates and give it another visit. Thanks for the reminder! A few people on my friend’s list are constantly playing this game.

Same. I liked it, it just was not good enough to pull me away from whatever I was playing at the time.

Should give it another spin though, and I think I will.

Avatar image for Livecommander
Livecommander

1271

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#26 Livecommander
Member since 2009 • 1271 Posts

@i_p_daily: nah i remember. a new consistent thing is what I meant to say. We will see

Avatar image for sadpolar7
Sadpolar7

83

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#27 Sadpolar7
Member since 2016 • 83 Posts

I wish they would’ve waited for it to be an actual game before releasing it as a game. It’s 2 years later snd we all moved on.

Avatar image for freedomfreak
freedomfreak

51814

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#28 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 51814 Posts

GaaS. Only fun with friends. This was a big ol' yikes to begin with. It looks beautiful, though.

Avatar image for SecretPolice
SecretPolice

36057

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#29 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 36057 Posts

Just so ya know.

A GS 8.0 for a Xbox game and especially this game, Sea of mofo Thieves, is equivalent to them scoring it 15/10. :D

Mighty Rare, their gonna rock the socks off SuperMighty XseX MonsterBox..... Yeah baby!!!

Don't wait, get your preorder in yesterday if you can. lol :P

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

26446

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#30  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 26446 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

Just so ya know.

A GS 8.0 for a Xbox game and especially this game, Sea of mofo Thieves, is equivalent to them scoring it 15/10. :D

Mighty Rare, their gonna rock the socks off SuperMighty XseX MonsterBox..... Yeah baby!!!

Don't wait, get your preorder in yesterday if you can. lol :P

lmao I give you props for admitting that an Xbox game scoring an 8 is considered a big deal. 😇

Avatar image for SecretPolice
SecretPolice

36057

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#31 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 36057 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@SecretPolice said:

Just so ya know.

A GS 8.0 for a Xbox game and especially this game, Sea of mofo Thieves, is equivalent to them scoring it 15/10. :D

Mighty Rare, their gonna rock the socks off SuperMighty XseX MonsterBox..... Yeah baby!!!

Don't wait, get your preorder in yesterday if you can. lol :P

lmao I give you props for admitting that an Xbox game scoring an 8 is considered a big deal.

:) Even the most ardent MS Xbox smear artists like GS won't be able to refute the masterpiece in the works...

Like I said, get that XseX preorder in now whilst you can. lololol :P

Avatar image for DragonfireXZ95
DragonfireXZ95

26048

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#32 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26048 Posts

@davillain- said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

It finally has a price that might be worthy of admission as well. The 60 dollars they originally launched it at was outrageous for the content included.

I play it for free when it was on Gamepass during its launch. Even MS knew $60 was outrages, so it was nice they included towards Gamepass.

Its been awhile since I played Sea of Thieves, might dive into the seas again before TLOU2 release.

If MS knew it was outrageous, it wouldn't have been 60 dollars. :P

MS counts on people that sign up for game pass and stay signed up, either by accident or just because it is a pretty decent value.

Avatar image for gifford38
Gifford38

1008

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#33 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 1008 Posts

@Pedro said:

Well its not typical to re-review games but it seems like Gamespot saw a need to.

Review

THE GOOD

Rare has spent two years building on the game's strong foundation with features, tools, and systems that improve the core gameplay

The newly added emissary system is a brilliant solution that incentivizes various play styles in smart waysShips of every size feel great to control, whether you're coordinating a galleon with three friends or soloing a sloop

Unlike at launch, there are now countless things to do, whether you want to fight other players, engage with "Tall Tale" story missions, hunt skeleton fleets, or have any number of other adventures

The tension created by the possibility of being attacked at any moment has been enhanced by various new systems

THE BAD

Despite new tools that alleviate some grind, the level of investment required for certain ranks and unlocks can feel exploitative still

At high levels, short sessions feel unrewarding, creating the need to play for long stretches without breaks

Some bugs and balance issues have persisted for a long time

Did Sea of Thieves.... Unflop?😂

But then again, who takes Gamespot reviews seriously anyway.

same with no man sky. its good these company's do this but wish they hold on to there games and get it right the first time.

sea of thieves always looked good to me but the mass was saying it was a empty open world.

I skipped no man sky but i might give it shot in vr.

Avatar image for Epak_
Epak_

10957

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#34 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 10957 Posts

Hmmm... might as well check it out again some day.

Avatar image for Ibacai
Ibacai

13899

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#35 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 13899 Posts

I was bored to tears while playing it but I do admit the sailing is top notch. The water physics and boats are just amazing. But it felt more like a tech demo than a game.

I’m hoping we can get a SoT2 with some more meat on the bones.

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

39981

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 66

User Lists: 0

#36  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 39981 Posts

@Ibacai said:

I was bored to tears while playing it but I do admit the sailing is top notch. The water physics and boats are just amazing. But it felt more like a tech demo than a game.

I’m hoping we can get a SoT2 with some more meat on the bones.

I doubt it. These types of games just evolve.

Avatar image for Ibacai
Ibacai

13899

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#37 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 13899 Posts

@Pedro: well hopefully it evolves in a way that keeps the awesome sailing and just improves everything else.

Avatar image for with_teeth26
with_teeth26

10052

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#38 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 10052 Posts

@Ibacai said:

@Pedro: well hopefully it evolves in a way that keeps the awesome sailing and just improves everything else.

its already made it a lot of the way there, worth another shot if you haven't played it since launch

Avatar image for jaydan
jaydan

3421

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#39  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 3421 Posts

Do we have any metric for games that have bad launches that get fixed down the line? Do these games get boosts in sales or what? I know No Man's Sky followed a similar path, but I'm unaware how games perform after being fixed.

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

39981

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 66

User Lists: 0

#40 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 39981 Posts

@jaydan said:

Do we have any metric for games that have bad launches that get fixed down the line? Do these games get boosts in sales or what? I know No Man's Sky followed a similar path, but I'm unaware how games perform after being fixed.

That would be an interesting study if the information was readily available.

Avatar image for jaydan
jaydan

3421

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#41  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 3421 Posts

@Pedro said:
@jaydan said:

Do we have any metric for games that have bad launches that get fixed down the line? Do these games get boosts in sales or what? I know No Man's Sky followed a similar path, but I'm unaware how games perform after being fixed.

That would be an interesting study if the information was readily available.

At the end of the day, a developer best hopes to never land in this situation in the first place by releasing completed and bug-free games, but it will inevitably happen on the rare few we've seen and will see, and they will tank critically and likely financially as well.

We don't have much data yet on dev's going out of their ways to try to fix a game, but we have a handful now that fits this description. We can start to see if trying to fix games after bad launches is even worthwhile for business.

Avatar image for Star67
Star67

4684

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 0

#42 Star67
Member since 2005 • 4684 Posts

@madrocketeer said:

Yet another thing for soulless corporations to point to and say; "our shitty live service game will turn good eventually, just be patient," while continuing to launch broken half-finished garbage.

Good on Rare, I suppose, but - and this is nothing personally against them - I just kind of wish their game along with others like No Man's Sky and R6: Siege didn't exist the way they did.

This has happened with several games this gen, SWB2 and No Mans Sky being other great examples.

Is this the new industry trend? Release a broken game and fix it over the next year? I hate this as a consumer, as I don't know what kind of product I'm going to get. I don't want 3/4 finished games!

They need to start delaying some of these games and finishing them! But corporate interests wouldnt like that. Like how the Battlefront games needed to release close to the movies, even though they still needed work!

And some games never get better! Like fallout 76 and Anthem.

Good on devs for continuing to make the games better, but damn do it in the first place!

Avatar image for madrocketeer
madrocketeer

7360

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#43 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 7360 Posts
@Star67 said:

This has happened with several games this gen, SWB2 and No Mans Sky being other great examples.

Is this the new industry trend? Release a broken game and fix it over the next year? I hate this as a consumer, as I don't know what kind of product I'm going to get. I don't want 3/4 finished games!

They need to start delaying some of these games and finishing them! But corporate interests wouldnt like that. Like how the Battlefront games needed to release close to the movies, even though they still needed work!

And some games never get better! Like fallout 76 and Anthem.

Good on devs for continuing to make the games better, but damn do it in the first place!

Certainly feels like a trend, and it's comeback stories like NMS and Sea of Thieves that let them get away with it.

Avatar image for Ibacai
Ibacai

13899

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#44 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 13899 Posts

@with_teeth26: just tried it for a couple hours. Still not there, still needs a ton in my opinion. But fortunately for all of the fans, my opinion is worthless.

So, good for everyone enjoying it.

Avatar image for with_teeth26
with_teeth26

10052

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#45 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 10052 Posts

@Ibacai said:

@with_teeth26: just tried it for a couple hours. Still not there, still needs a ton in my opinion. But fortunately for all of the fans, my opinion is worthless.

So, good for everyone enjoying it.

what do you think it could use as improvements?

granted I haven't played it a ton myself since all the updates. i got the impression that ship to ship combat is more interesting now with multiple ammo types, but combat between pirates or pirates/skeletons is still very simplistic with limited weapons.

Avatar image for Ibacai
Ibacai

13899

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#46 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 13899 Posts

@with_teeth26: I think there have been a ton of improvements, don’t get me wrong. But, the core game of increasing rep for cosmetics is still the fundamental backbone which I felt was lacking meat.

I love the addition of Tall Tales but they are hit and miss. Naval combat is better but that’s never been an issue for me really, neither has the sailing. The new islands and forts are cool, but the character combat is still blah. I still found myself asking myself, what is the point? Legend? Pass.

I realize this is a sandbox but I think it needs more tools. Give us AI ships we can attack and loot for the different factions. Which in turn gives bounties to other players to get revenge. Pirate controlled islands and forts, bigger islands, more things to discover, some fun crafting mechanic, more customization, etc.

The thing is, maybe it’s just not the game for me. I’ve loved sandboxes in the past, just not this one because it feels like a sandbox-lite. Which is why I’m hoping for a SoT2 which overhauls some stuff and evolves what works.

Avatar image for Antwan3K
Antwan3K

4562

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#47  Edited By Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 4562 Posts

@Ibacai said:

@with_teeth26: I think there have been a ton of improvements, don’t get me wrong. But, the core game of increasing rep for cosmetics is still the fundamental backbone which I felt was lacking meat.

I love the addition of Tall Tales but they are hit and miss. Naval combat is better but that’s never been an issue for me really, neither has the sailing. The new islands and forts are cool, but the character combat is still blah. I still found myself asking myself, what is the point? Legend? Pass.

I realize this is a sandbox but I think it needs more tools. Give us AI ships we can attack and loot for the different factions. Which in turn gives bounties to other players to get revenge. Pirate controlled islands and forts, bigger islands, more things to discover, some fun crafting mechanic, more customization, etc.

The thing is, maybe it’s just not the game for me. I’ve loved sandboxes in the past, just not this one because it feels like a sandbox-lite. Which is why I’m hoping for a SoT2 which overhauls some stuff and evolves what works.

just as an fyi, there are indeed AI ships in the game (both lone Skeleton ships that randomly spawn and entire Skeleton Fleets) that you can attack for various loot, reputation, and commendations.. Also the new Emissary system for the various factions encourage PVP by a "risk vs reward" dynamic that allows higher rewards for voyages but there's a clear visual indicator on your ship indicating you have loot (which is dangerous for obvious reasons).. this is coupled with a new Reaper faction that is designed to gain rewards and reputation from attacking and sinking those player ships on the Emissary voyages.. and in addition to the cooking mechanic, crafting is apparently on the way..

One thing is for sure, Sea of Thieves just isn't a game for everyone.. no matter how much they add to the game, it just won't appeal to every gamer.. and really, that can be said for nearly any game..

Avatar image for with_teeth26
with_teeth26

10052

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#48  Edited By with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 10052 Posts

@Ibacai said:

@with_teeth26: I think there have been a ton of improvements, don’t get me wrong. But, the core game of increasing rep for cosmetics is still the fundamental backbone which I felt was lacking meat.

I love the addition of Tall Tales but they are hit and miss. Naval combat is better but that’s never been an issue for me really, neither has the sailing. The new islands and forts are cool, but the character combat is still blah. I still found myself asking myself, what is the point? Legend? Pass.

I realize this is a sandbox but I think it needs more tools. Give us AI ships we can attack and loot for the different factions. Which in turn gives bounties to other players to get revenge. Pirate controlled islands and forts, bigger islands, more things to discover, some fun crafting mechanic, more customization, etc.

The thing is, maybe it’s just not the game for me. I’ve loved sandboxes in the past, just not this one because it feels like a sandbox-lite. Which is why I’m hoping for a SoT2 which overhauls some stuff and evolves what works.

fair enough, I can agree with a lot of that.

@Antwan3K already pointed out some of the new stuff you missed so I won't retread that ground. I will say that getting involved in a battle with several AI ships was the most fun moment i've had coming back to the game.

but I agree with you about the Tall Tales being a mixed bag and character combat not being great. I don't personally mind the more cosmetic driven progression since it means you can play with friends who are just starting and they wont feel like they are totally useless.

Avatar image for with_teeth26
with_teeth26

10052

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#49 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 10052 Posts

so, the game released on Steam a few days ago, and has 34k concurrent players on that platform alone.

meaning, between Steam, Xbox PC and console players, the game is pretty dang popular

Avatar image for SUD123456
SUD123456

5637

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#50 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 5637 Posts

NMS, SoT....how about these games don't get released until they have adequate content in the first place.