Rumor: Dead Space 3 Takes Place On A Frozen Planet, First Details

• 92 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 shinrabanshou
Member since 2009 • 8458 Posts

From Siliconera:

Electronic Arts is developing a new Dead Space game. No surprise there, but it doesn't take place on a spaceship. Dead Space 3 is set on Tau Volantis, an icy planet where Isaac Clarke has to wade through white-out blizzard conditions.

Early in Dead Space 3, Isaac crash lands on the planet. He believes he may be the only survivor and makes his way to an abandoned waystation, which he uses for shelter from the snowstorm. There he finds a survivor who is severely injured. Isaac speaks to the near dead comrade who reveals there are other survivors that trekked off to another facility. One of them is Ellie, a key character from the original Dead Space game. Isaac grabs a snowsuit and heads into the blizzard.

Later in the game, Isaac reunites with Ellie and a new character named Jennifer. The trio scale a mountain, but Jennifer is reluctant to do so. She's a tech type excited over finding a codex and plans to reverse engineer research by a group called Rosetta to gain access to it. As they climb up the mountain, they hear a howl from below, but cannot spot what kind of creature made the sound.

The enemies in Dead Space 3 are being referred to as "the hive mind."

This news comes from our mole that sent us details about Electronic Arts' Syndicate reboot a few months early.

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts

Cool.Let's hope this one doesn't drag on like the DS2 did.

lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts
Cool, loved the first two. This could be a "the thing" kinda game, I'm in if true :P
gotdangit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gotdangit
Member since 2005 • 8151 Posts

Why isn't Ellie with him from the beginning?

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#5 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

Cool, loved the first two. This could be a "the thing" kinda game, I'm in if true :Plbjkurono23

That seems to be what they're going for. The first two games borrowed a lot from Alien so it's not surprising that they would move on to The Thing, another sci fi horror masterpiece :D

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts
My favorite new ip this gen by far... Dead Space 1 amazed me , DS2 didnt so much , i was waiting for more epic big badass boss battles .. I guess DS3 wont dissapoint me. I love the series. Cant wait.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#7 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Awesome. Loved both the first game and second game, this one sounds great. Hopefully we don't have to wait for another 3 years for it!

Also, why isn't Ellie with him from the beggining? She was with him at the end of DS2. And she was never in the first game.

bri360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bri360
Member since 2005 • 2755 Posts

My favorite new ip this gen by far... Dead Space 1 amazed me , DS2 didnt so much , i was waiting for more epic big badass boss battles .. I guess DS3 wont dissapoint me. I love the series. Cant wait. AzatiS

the bosses in ds2 were dissapointing but i still liked it more than the first

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

So the necromorphs aren't the enemies anymore? Or is this another planet that just so happens to have a marker on it? Either way, can't say I'm not excited. Dead Space is easily my favorite new IP this gen.

lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lbjkurono23

[QUOTE="lbjkurono23"]Cool, loved the first two. This could be a "the thing" kinda game, I'm in if true :PMaster_ShakeXXX

That seems to be what they're going for. The first two games borrowed a lot from Alien so it's not surprising that they would move on to The Thing, another sci fi horror masterpiece :D

Thats correct, my only complaints with the series is the lack of unlockables and the bosses(I think they can make every boss fight feel more unique). ot, but is dead island any good? I'm thinking of getting it.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#11 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
I hope there are big, intimidating ice caves.
mikeyMKII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mikeyMKII
Member since 2009 • 754 Posts

Ellie? I don't recall an Ellie in the original Dead Space.

MickeyTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MickeyTheNinja
Member since 2007 • 3824 Posts

[QUOTE="lbjkurono23"]Cool, loved the first two. This could be a "the thing" kinda game, I'm in if true :PMaster_ShakeXXX

What are you talking about...? DS and DS2 borrowed from The Thing, not Alien. How do you see a shape shifting creature who just took the shape of a human, and think Alien? When The Thing, IS a shape shifting alien, that duplicates the host.
MercenaryMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MercenaryMafia
Member since 2011 • 2917 Posts
Dead Space 3! Day one buy.
jamejame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jamejame
Member since 2005 • 10634 Posts

Loved Dead Space 2. Still the best campaign in anaction game released this year in my opinion. While I figured they'd go to a planet next, an ice one comes as a surprise. Does there so happen to be another marker on this planet?

timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#17 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

New Deadspace game? Yes yes yes! :D

They aren't scary but they sure are fun to play though. :P

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60723 Posts
Sounds promising.
lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lbjkurono23
[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

[QUOTE="lbjkurono23"]Cool, loved the first two. This could be a "the thing" kinda game, I'm in if true :PMickeyTheNinja

What are you talking about...? DS and DS2 borrowed from The Thing, not Alien. How do you see a shape shifting creature who just took the shape of a human, and think Alien? When The Thing, IS a shape shifting alien, that duplicates the host.

Alien life form aboard a ship. :P
lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lbjkurono23

New Deadspace game? Yes yes yes! :D

They aren't scary but they sure are fun to play though. :P

timmy00
Fun to kill too. :3 It needs a horde mode :P
AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AzatiS

[QUOTE="AzatiS"]My favorite new ip this gen by far... Dead Space 1 amazed me , DS2 didnt so much , i was waiting for more epic big badass boss battles .. I guess DS3 wont dissapoint me. I love the series. Cant wait. bri360

the bosses in ds2 were dissapointing but i still liked it more than the first

Really? How comes?
AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AzatiS
I hope there are big, intimidating ice caves.musicalmac
And BIG , this time , intimidating badas bosses!!! :) I had big hopes for DS2 but never saw any biggie bossie
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

mikeyMKII

She wasn't. Ellie was introduced in DS2. It's either a typo on the article writer's part, or this whole thing is complete BS.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
All I could think was "Lost Planet" when I read that. Its a sad day when IP's start melding together.
IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#25 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

[QUOTE="lbjkurono23"]Cool, loved the first two. This could be a "the thing" kinda game, I'm in if true :PMickeyTheNinja

Well, enemy design is straight up inspired by The Thing, definitely. The morphing and general appearance is a dead giveaway. But setting wise it's more like Aliens. So I think it's a good mixture of both.

Anyway, if this turns out to be true that would be great, sounds awesome and I'd be really pissed if they killed off Ellie. Although she was in Dead Space 2, not the first

Szminsky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Szminsky
Member since 2005 • 1471 Posts

I don't like this.... not at all. Dead space is easily my top franchise this gen. I loved the dark atmosphere in the first 2: the zero gravity, vacuum, loneliness, and the feeling you were immensly detached from anyone, anywhere, and relied completely on going solo. Survival horror at its best. Now I hear this crazy stuff that it's taking place on an icy planet, snowstorms, climbing mountains etc... kinda takes away the point of dead SPACE IMO. I might be surprised though, but as it seems now I don't like the direction its taking.

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="lbjkurono23"]Cool, loved the first two. This could be a "the thing" kinda game, I'm in if true :Plbjkurono23

Thats correct, my only complaints with the series is the lack of unlockables and the bosses(I think they can make every boss fight feel more unique). ot, but is dead island any good? I'm thinking of getting it.

Have you played Boderlands? Dead Island is kind of like that. Big focus on hunting for loot and exploration. Personaly I think it's even more addicting and fun than Borderlands. In it's current form it's pretty buggy though, so beware.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

They need to ratchet up the scare factor.

It's pretty telling when the scariest part of ds2 for me was when you briefly revisit the ishimura.

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Master_ShakeXXX

I'm talking about the environments and atmosphere, which are very reminiscent of Alien. The Necros are definitely reminiscent of The Thing though, but that's just creature designs. Overall Dead Space feels a lot more like Alien than it does The Thing.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

[QUOTE="MickeyTheNinja"][QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

Master_ShakeXXX

I'm talking about the environments and atmosphere, which are very reminiscent of Alien. The Necros are definitely reminiscent of The Thing though, but that's just creature designs. Overall Dead Space feels a lot more like Alien than it does The Thing.

It also borrows a lot from Event Horizon.

lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lbjkurono23

[QUOTE="lbjkurono23"][QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

Master_ShakeXXX

Have you played Boderlands? Dead Island is kind of like that. Big focus on hunting for loot and exploration. Personaly I think it's even more addicting and fun than Borderlands. In it's current form it's pretty buggy though, so beware.

I do like borderlands, I did read about the bugs and all, but I was hoping it was like New vegas, were it was exaggerated(maybe it wasn't but I didn't have any major problems with it).
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

Sounds cool.. like it already.

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="MickeyTheNinja"] What are you talking about...? DS and DS2 borrowed from The Thing, not Alien. How do you see a shape shifting creature who just took the shape of a human, and think Alien? When The Thing, IS a shape shifting alien, that duplicates the host.topgunmv

It also borrows a lot from Event Horizon.

Which also borrowed a lot from Alien :P

Event Horizon was awesome though. It's the only film directed by Paul W.S Anderson that doesn't suck.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

Wouldint mind a frozen setting. Im sure someone said this already but seems like a THING setting.

Santesyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#35 Santesyu
Member since 2008 • 4451 Posts

Not feeling the storyline at all. This is not Lost planet.

skooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 skooks
Member since 2006 • 1411 Posts

Pretty hyped for this already, Dead Space is one of my favourite new IP's this gen. Loved the first two games and interested in the change of setting, if it's true that is. Hope it doesn't disappoint.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#37 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

I hope they execute the idea well. Its a great idea to change up the formula so it doesn't become stale or even more predictable.

I'll be following this closely though. Absolutely loved the first two games so this is pretty high on the radar.

g0ddyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts

I dont think it will just be on a frozen planet, there will be more to it.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

All I could think was "Lost Planet" when I read that. Its a sad day when IP's start melding together.foxhound_fox
How is having an icy environment "melding" IPs together? The games are a farcry from each other.

Anyway, I'm interested in seeing some more details. I'm always game for some more Dead Space.

lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 lbjkurono23
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]All I could think was "Lost Planet" when I read that. Its a sad day when IP's start melding together.HoolaHoopMan
How is having an icy environment "melding" IPs together? The games are a farcry from each other.

Lost planet invented icy environments with aliens. :P
el3m2tigre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 el3m2tigre
Member since 2007 • 4232 Posts

mikeyMKII

Dead Space 2.

True_Chaos_UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 True_Chaos_UK
Member since 2010 • 2570 Posts

Dead space 3 takes place on Hoth awesome Isaac on a taun-taun would be kewl.

Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#43 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts
Issac is quite the ladies man...
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#44 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

Cool.Let's hope this one doesn't drag on like the DS2 did.

Lto_thaG
.... Not sure if serious.... Dead Space 2 took 6 hours to beat...
Plamino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Plamino
Member since 2011 • 219 Posts
Any details on whether or not it will actually be good this time around?
MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#46 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

One of them is Ellie, a key character from the original Dead Space game.

The enemies in Dead Space 3 are being referred to as "the hive mind."

This news comes from our mole that sent us details about Electronic Arts' Syndicate reboot a few months early.

shinrabanshou

Hmmm...I don't know how much I should believe this. For one thing, Ellie wasn't in the original Dead Space. She was a new character in Dead Space 2. Secondly, the "hive mind" comes from the first game and refers to the final boss, as I recall. If the 3rd game follows the first two, the enemies will be necromorphs unless a new enemy has been introduced.

Hmmm....

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

i still need to play the first and the second

Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48 Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts
Gonna play Dead Space 2 in a while. I loved the 1st. Only finished it the weekend.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#49 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
Oh my God, it could be just like The Thing...why did DS2 have to suck so much? T_T
Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts
Oh my God, it could be just like The Thing...why did DS2 have to suck so much? T_TCherokee_Jack
Cmon... Dont spoil it for some lol.