Return of Who is the best Lara Croft: 2.0

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Poll Return of Who is the best Lara Croft: 2.0 (42 votes)

90's Lara 55%
00's Lara 45%

I have to apologise for posting a poll with one word in the opening comment but in my defense I had been awake for quite a substantial amount of time at that point and it was way past my bed time.

So I'll try again.

I f*cking hate the new Lara Croft with a burning passion. The devs do savour and relish her deaths in a really creepy way just like Polygon said and now she looks and behaves like a frustrated primary school teacher with parental issues and an inferiority complex.

They took all the fun out of Lara.

Happy?

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Here's some screenshots I took from her dying in the latest game.

If your wondering what she looks like in an early game dying, think, a sexy doll going suddenly limp onto some spikes which clip straight through her then some really crap blood particle effect squirts for a second or two and no change to her expression.

No Caption Provided

Here she is looking adventurous, feisty and confident. I think this was a Playstation 1 game but I played in on the Dreamcast then had to burn it in pentagram at midnight to get it's aura out of my house, it's that bad.

But at least Lara doesn't make me want to slap her in the face.

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

The one that's played by Alicia Vikander... that girl rocks

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

@boycie: did you literally just post to say you were not bothered about this topic but bothered enough to get out your favourite Alan Partridge gif?

You priorities are very confusing boycie.

It is a good one though.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

And my answer is same. both of them suck but new one even more.

she just whine, cry, yell this is so hard.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jackamomo

@enzyme36: you're right though. I should have made the poll about all versions of Lara Croft.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#7  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

If I only compare the text the old one sounds like a more interesting character for a Tomb Raider type game today.

Her 90's 3D model is so old that it looks silly today. Other than that, 90's Lara wins.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jackamomo

I'm just looking up pictures of Lara now, for err, research, yeah research!... Brb...

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#9  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@jackamomo:

I used to hate the new Lara but she's kinda grown on me. It took 3 games but her personality is so much more tolerable now. She's not exactly as fun as the Legend/90's Lara but at least she doesn't whine any more and she only cried ONCE in Shadow of the Tomb Raider! ONCE! I'm so proud of her! She's a grown so much these past games...

I still miss Lara's gymnastics though. And those beautiful dual handguns. And the outfits. And the voice. And the mansion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58951 Posts

Early 90's one obviously. A mix of James Bond and Indiana Jones, with bewbs, what's not to like?

The new one is a cry-baby mass murderer who hates Tomb Raiding. Much like Star Trek Discovery, a reboot aimed at Antifa/Resetera type folk. People who should be barred from society.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jackamomo

I see there is a new film out this year!

The acid test will be, will new Lara be as interesting to audiences as old 90's Lara with the big ones.

Dollars I mean.

5 ACTRESSES WHO COULD REPLACE ANGELINA JOLIE AS LARA CROFT

Wired 2009

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@jackamomo: I could see that work. As a lightly stylized 3D model. And then with the old Lara's background. If they want character development that could still easily happen, even if she isn't a troubled youth and all that. For example: through her connections.

I'm also not sure that deep character development is what people were ever looking for in a Tomb Raider game. Inner turmoils and emotional struggles don't exactly ooze fun like a more static character does. Which imo would have been a better fit for the market even with the idea of a reboot.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

What I said in the other thread.

The new Lara is a terrible character. Can't believe they milked this stupid "Becoming the Tomb Raider" origin story for three games. She's still unconvincing as an action star. I don't want to see this shit anymore:

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@enzyme36 said:

Going for the ugly one like a proper wingman :)

But there is only one Tomb Raider and that is, of course, Angelina Jolie, even at almost 45.

Also not a big fan of those average Swedish girls, to shallow

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

Definitely the current Lara Croft in my opinion. She looks better, obviously, but I also like her character much more as well.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nepu7supastar7

@ezekiel43:

I remember back when Lara didn't have to be believable. She didn't have to cry at certain points to remind you that she's human. Her humanity came naturally when she always chose to spare a life when murder wasn't necessary. Old Lara never enjoyed killing people. The new Lara just doesn't give a ****.

It's weird but after playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider, I feel hopeful that we won't have to worry about it anymore. She's at the same state (more or less) as she was in Tomb Raider 1. Confident. Strong. But not cocky. Even in the ps1 games, Lara's cockyness grew gradually over time. So it makes sense in a way.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@enzyme36 said:

Going for the ugly one like a proper wingman :)

But there is only one Tomb Raider and that is, of course, Angelina Jolie, even at almost 45.

Also not a big fan of those average Swedish girls, to shallow

...you know I got you fam

JtoThaMtoThaP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JtoThaMtoThaP
Member since 2016 • 1016 Posts

I love the reboot, so the new Lara

Wish I could play the new game though...bought it downloaded it but it says Pre-Ordered and won't let me play...I called Xbox Support and they said, yeah that's a known problem we are working on it. Thanks MS!

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

@Jacanuk: Amen

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jackamomo

@ezekiel43: what was that sh*t I just sat through. That was weak sauce.

It was like watching a really badly written drama that tries to force emotion into the story without giving any counterweight with light heartedness to soften the blow of the turmoil being felt by the heroin.

It was awkward to watch as she has acted the scene as someone in complete and utter despair. It was a bit ott I thought.

Even the biggest wettest wusses in the world don't emotionally collapse like Lara did in that scene. It was harrowing! The resolution, it turned out, was that she needed a big strong man. That is the most chilling part of this whole episode.

I'm confident in stating at this point that a cabal of shit misogynistic AAA developers are conspiring to undo all the positive female representation built up in the 90's and early 00's to make women in the media portrayed as emotionally unstable and lost without a male role model.

This is because they are ugly boys with poor personal hygiene and social skills and are dumb and that is their best chance, they feel, of ever getting to have sex.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

New Lara is quite a bit more attractive, in every way, than any previous video game incarnation.

I was never into a woman with humongous tits. And as far as Jolie goes, her fake ass lips are shit.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

New Lara, far more realistic, better depiction of a strong woman.

Original was just taking advantage of little horny kids.

Literally everything is better about the reboot Lara.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@enzyme36 said:

The movie was meh.

This thread made me laugh, although I do like the new TR games. Good job!

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jackamomo

@mrbojangles25: New Lara, far more realistic, better depiction of a strong woman.

You can't be serious.

Original was just taking advantage of little horny kids.

The thing is, was she a sexy stereotype? No not really? She had big boobs and lips and tiny waist and was an abstraction of reality like all 3d game characters were at that point because why not? 3D models of people at that point looked like giant minecraft block people anyway so make them look a bit interesting.

The thing about 90's Lara is she was on all the magazine covers because she was with the times. Confident, showing off her body and out there.

I'm not so sure current Lara is as with the times as Square would like to think. I don't believe she resonated with females like the original version as I think most women would probably feel like nepu in seeing a weak character with a ton of emotional baggage not as a very compelling role model but kind of annoying.

The point is the rebooted Lara just has no ideas. Yeah the first one was exploitative but this one is far more sinister in how they chose to portray her, as a young woman struggling to find her way and lost in the world. I'm not even sure what her redeeming features are supposed to be. She has almost no character at all and just feels like an extra in a bbc costume drama to me. They just sapped all the fun out of it. The colour scheme is even so drab alot of the time. It's Tomb Raider, everything is in the title. It's jaunty and fun. The Mummy is the film Tomb Raider should have been. It's a romp.

There is no reason young Lara needed to go so far in the realism direction. They made a pulp popular platforming franchise into an introspective grind of gritty and gory deathsploitation interactive/not interactive movie unskippable cut scenes/press the button sequences in the vain of an Uncharted game and forgot they were supposed to be remaking Prince of Persia again.

You are not making Schindlers List, Square. If your going to change Lara at least have an idea. She could not have less about her to interest you other than she used to be that cool character, remember? Yeah well, when she was young, she was a really melodramatic and moross bell end. Yeah, take that fans!

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

Haven't yet played Shadow but I got a Rise out of the last Tomb Raider I played. lol :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

@ezekiel43 said:

What I said in the other thread.

The new Lara is a terrible character. Can't believe they milked this stupid "Becoming the Tomb Raider" origin story for three games. She's still unconvincing as an action star. I don't want to see this shit anymore:

Lol. Reminds me of the time that Sony always wanted to kill uncle Ben in every Spider-Man movie.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@mrbojangles25: literally everything? I only played 2013, but I found her drama and murder inconsistent and the other characters absurd. Don't lean so hard on narrative if you can't do a good job with it. I also found the gameplay mechanics - while superior to Uncharted - to be poor. It suffers from the same problems, including "platforming" that depends on pointing at the target and clicking. Lastly, the emphasis on killing shit in linear fashion over exploring vast ominous tombs without a "gui guide" was just a huge disappointment. Other than the janky tanky controls in the originals (which are a genuine frustration) I think you're being really unfair trying to make this about bewbs

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jackamomo

I just realised I'm an idiot anyway and got it all wrong.

It should read 2010's Lara, not 00's Lara as the reboot was started in 2013 with Tomb Raider Legends and really I should have been using a picture of the last version of adult Lara which looks like this.

Lara in Tomb Raider: Underworld (2008)

I also should have included this video so people could look at all the versions.

Loading Video...

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34605 Posts

90's Lara ftw.

Fun Lara > boring "realistic" Lara.

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 knight-k
Member since 2005 • 2596 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Early 90's one obviously. A mix of James Bond and Indiana Jones, with bewbs, what's not to like?

The new one is a cry-baby mass murderer who hates Tomb Raiding. Much like Star Trek Discovery, a reboot aimed at Antifa/Resetera type folk. People who should be barred from society.

Amen

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

I love the old Badass/Strong/Sexy Lara from the 90’s/Early 2000’s who was the perfect example of female empowerment.

The new Lara in 2010’s is shown as a weak female who is constantly getting her butt kicked, experiences sexual assault and other abuses and has severe daddy issues.

The once strong powerful Lara has turned into a Soy eating weakling.

The developers completely failed in making Lara an inspiring character. She is now just a victim.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

@xantufrog said:

@mrbojangles25: literally everything? I only played 2013, but I found her drama and murder inconsistent and the other characters absurd. Don't lean so hard on narrative if you can't do a good job with it. I also found the gameplay mechanics - while superior to Uncharted - to be poor. It suffers from the same problems, including "platforming" that depends on pointing at the target and clicking. Lastly, the emphasis on killing shit in linear fashion over exploring vast ominous tombs without a "gui guide" was just a huge disappointment. Other than the janky tanky controls in the originals (which are a genuine frustration) I think you're being really unfair trying to make this about bewbs

I am not at all trying to make this about bewbs; when I said more realistic I meant her character, her trials and her reactions, and so on. Original Lara was great, but ultimately one-dimensional. New Lara might not be the best person, but she is a bit more believable. Seeing her as a naive brat out to make a name for herself, then into victim, then into struggling survivor...eventually culminating in demi-god ass-kicker in the most recent installment...it has been a pleasure.

I love them both and when I say I prefer one, it's not because I dislike the other. And I don't give a hoot about the size of the hooters (nyuk nyuk nyuk...) or any political or social commentary, I am talking just as a character.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jackamomo

@mrbojangles25: I just don't buy it.

Original Lara was great, but ultimately one-dimensional.

Come on, at least 2 dimensional. She is eurotrash, cat burgler, gymnast, bullet spraying maniac, sexy vamp, reckless and foolhardy, confident and intelligent and quick thinking. That's more than one dimension.

New Lara might not be the best person, but she is a bit more believable.

I don't get why anyone would want to sit through any more Hunger Games films at this point anyway. Eidos were way off the mark with this moody humourless incarnation.

Being angst ridden is not the the same thing as being deep. She has one mode and that is to sulk. I would never go out with modern Lara what a buzz killer.

How can you say she realistic anyway, she goes on a kill crazy rampage that puts Rambo to shame with apparently no remorse whatsoever.

New Lara is shallow and has no trademarks / ideas apart from being generally wretched. The way she stumbles through the games reminds me of an old SNES game about a scared boy who gets braver towards the end. But where's the glint in her eye and trace of a smile when she gets a win?

Lighten up modern AAA game developers. Even in the apocalypse, people would have a joke and it would be funny, not bad like a modern super hero film and make you vomit from how bland and cheesy it is. There is just no relief from the bleak tone of these modern games. They really need to counter the relentless angst with a bit of fun. Far Cry should be commended for this apart from the last one, that's just more of the same as this game. No one ever cheers up in AAA land these days.

Thing is. Is the story even any good? I bet it's not. Is the acting really convincing, the above clip would make me think, no probably not. It's another example of a game with a crap story you are forced to watch with your head in a clamp and matchsticks in your eyelids as boring self important people moan on at each other for hours before back to pushing forward then x when it tells you in a giant blue X button flashing in front of you and you maul the pad in an attempt to hit the right button in time without dropping the controller and banging your head on the coffee table as your brain is barely functioning as a member of the target audience.

The only redeeming feature is the pony tail, borrowed from good Lara. And why doesn't she ever have a wash? She's got time for lip gloss and foundation.

I should get remunerated by Eidos for all my helpful feedback I think.

"Arguments are elastic, tangled." - Confucius, or somebody.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#34 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

My current favourite is Lara from Shadow of TR.

She looks like a mature, 30+ woman, not some flippant teen girl. Just my kind of gal. Here's few pics I took off her.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

90's Lara for me.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#36 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts
@jackamomo said:

I just realised I'm an idiot anyway and got it all wrong.

It should read 2010's Lara, not 00's Lara as the reboot was started in 2013 with Tomb Raider Legends and really I should have been using a picture of the last version of adult Lara which looks like this.

Lara in Tomb Raider: Underworld (2008)

I also should have included this video so people could look at all the versions.

Loading Video...

In that case I'll go with 90s one, since I like Lara Croft from The Legends series the most. Her character had best of both worlds in Anniversary, The Legends and Underworld. 90s one felt too fake, while in reboots she whined too much. She felt like entitled rich kid in The Rise, who had to poke her nose everywhere for no reason. Her character didn't have any redeeming qualities. I haven't played Shadow yet but I didn't like her much in The Rise. I'll go with The Legends series because she maintained her "sexiness" from the 90s to an extent but was also more than pair of bouncing t.its when it came to her character.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 nepu7supastar7

@jackamomo:

You realize that the Legend Lara is basically the same as the 90's Lara, right? Her origin is the only thing that changed and it was very minimal.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jackamomo
@henrythefifth said:

My current favourite is Lara from Shadow of TR.

She looks like a mature, 30+ woman, not some flippant teen girl. Just my kind of gal. Here's few pics I took off her.

^ = minger

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

Isn't the whole thing with the reboot that she was supposed to start as a insecure, frail girl who develops into this more fun and outgoing chick we all know her like from the earlier games?

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Jackamomo

@nepu7supastar7:

They are polar opposites.

One is flat chested, the other has huge ones.

One is always muddy with baggy torn T-shirt - the other wears spandex and multiple weapon holsters and very well turned out.

One is independent, the other needs men to feel secure.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By nepu7supastar7

@jackamomo:

I was talking about the Lara from Tomb Raider Legend, Anniversary, Underworld. Not the new, less improved one.

That Lara was basically the same one we already knew from the ps1 games.