uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59086 Posts

Resident Evil 2's expansion pack done ok, not amazing.

Resident Evil 3 Remake hasn't been nearly as popular as its predecessor

Back in June, Capcom announced that Resident Evil had become its first series to surpass 100 million sales. Today's quarterly report has a less celebratory tone, with the publisher calling sales of Resident Evil 3 Remake "solid"—the cruellest compliment anyone can pay anything.

2.7 million sales in three months is still a respectable number, but quite far behind Resident Evil 2 Remake's sales across the same length of time. It boasted more than 4 million sales by this point and then went on to beat the lifetime sales of the original game. There's still a chance Resident Evil 3 Remake will do the same, but it's still got close to a million to go before it beats the original Resident Evil 3.

As business development manager Alex Aniel noted on Twitter, it's also lagging behind Resident Evil 5, 6 and 7. The latest game in the main series performed below Capcom's expectations, despite being a novel and terrifying reinvention, but it still managed to shift 3.5 million copies by the end of March 2017. Resident Evil 6 meanwhile, which was a bit of a mess at launch, still boasted sales of more than 4 million a few months later. Capcom called it a disappointment too. It seems like the publisher has started to rein in its expectations at last.

Despite Resident Evil 3 Remake not living up to what we called the best remake of 2019, Capcom reported a year-on-year increase in digital sales for the first quarter and, even with the complications created by the coronavirus, hasn't had to make changes to its business plan for the year.

While the pandemic has clearly affected game development, more free time and a greater need for escapism means that people are gaming more than ever before, so that's probably not had an impact on Resident Evil 3 Remake's sales. Some lower review scores—we gave it 55—and less nostalgic appeal compared to Resident Evil 2 are more likely contributors.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44313 Posts

Not terribly surprising as while I liked the original Resident Evil 3 it was definitely not on the same level as Resident Evil 2. I kind of expected to feel the same about both remakes. I still haven’t picked up RE3 Remake yet myself.

ZmanBarzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 ZmanBarzel
Member since 2014 • 3141 Posts

Not a shock. The original RE3 didn't have the fanbase the first two games did, so sales of remakes should follow a similar pattern.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 uninspiredcup  Online
@zmanbarzel said:

Not a shock. The original RE3 didn't have the fanbase the first two games did, so sales of remakes should follow a similar pattern.

Are we sure the majority of people playing these remakes actually played the originals?

Think it will probably have more to do with how soon the released it alongside 2.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5  Edited By dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

I think they just jumped the gun on it. They should have given it a little more time for RE2 to breathe before dropping this. Plus I feel like RE3 is generally a less popular game than the likes of 2 or 4.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

They obviously needed to make it more like Resident Evil 6.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

Felt rushed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
Member since 2019 • 1049 Posts

You'd think they'd learn after how much the original RE3 sucked, hence why Mikami had to come back and revive the series with 4

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7319 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@zmanbarzel said:

Are we sure the majority of people playing these remakes actually played the originals?

Think it will probably have more to do with how soon the released it alongside 2.

I agree with both of you. 2 is definitely the most fondly remembered of the OGs. And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't R3make come out less than a year after 2, and get comparatively lukewarm reviews? Yeah, this was never going move as many units, but 2.7 million is still "solid".

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61511 Posts

The game didn't hit that RE2R quality. It was an excellent game, but just lacking and incredibly short in comparison to RE2R. I still enjoyed it, but I can see why it didn't sell as well.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

I liked the NG+ feature where you can get stronger for each run to tackle higher difficulties.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@rzxv04 said:

I liked the NG+ feature where you can get stronger for each run to tackle higher difficulties.

This is something Alyx should have had. Influenced by Resident Evil, but completely lacks the replay value.

Even if it lacks metroidvania elements, having a basic NG/Remix mode like Resident Evil (which is in pretty much every game) would have helped a lot.

Doing this rather than focusing on mod tools would have been a better use of resources, as it will takes months/years for actual good shit to come out.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@rzxv04 said:

This is something Alyx should have had. Influenced by Resident Evil, but completely lacks the replay value.

Even if it lacks metroidvania elements, having a basic NG/Remix mode like Resident Evil (which is in pretty much every game) would have helped a lot.

Doing this rather than focusing on mod tools would have been a better use of resources, as it will takes months/years for actual good shit to come out.

I wish more sp games had forms of it but I might drop out of Alyx convo because I wanna play it eventually, "blind" when I get a new PC/VR or equivalent. Please excuse me *prayer hands*

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45262 Posts

Still haven't played it yet. Don't think I would pay more than $20 for it.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

Half-baked game, half-baked sales.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Still haven't played it yet. Don't think I would pay more than $20 for it.

I am in the same boat I really enjoyed the demo but 60 bucks for a 6 hour game is a complete rip off.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By clone01
Member since 2003 • 29826 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

They obviously needed to make it more like Resident Evil 6.

this^^

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44608 Posts

They delivered a weaker game and made money out of it, back to their old ways it seems. I wonder how long they plan to keep this up.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58398 Posts

Didn't the RE3 remake come out like a few months after the RE2 remake? Yet we were hearing about the RE2 remake for quite some time prior to coming out.

Maybe it was rushed and quality suffered? Haven't played it myself so I am just speculating, but it sounds like a cash grab attempt riding on the coattails of RE2 remake's success.

That's kind of sad to do to such a beloved franchise. Fans deserve better.

@lamprey263 said:

They delivered a weaker game and made money out of it, back to their old ways it seems. I wonder how long they plan to keep this up.

Until they listen externally, which rarely happens with Japanese companies.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

Well, it was a rushed remake of a rushed original back in the 90s. RE3 has always been weaker than RE2. It was then and it is now. If someone thought it would be better they were setting themselves up for failure. If they thought it would be as good as RE2 remake, then they probably didn't understand that it was already a remake of an inferior game than the first two entries. Plus they cut out a some content like the clock tower.

I'd still give it solid 8 though.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

Prove that been multiplatform doesn't always mean more sales. TLOU2 sould much better and i am sure GOT would as well.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11154 Posts

I haven't bought it yet because nothing about it screamed "full price purchase". RE2 remake was fantastic, but this one sounded more rushed at the cost of content.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39232 Posts

Skipped it on launch because of reviews. Still wanted to buy it for $30 or so, but got Exodus instead. So i just decided to borrow it from a friend, and h o l y f u c k, is this game shit or what?!?!?!?!?!?!?! RE3R is everything what went wrong with Capcom after RE5. This game was 4/10 worth, or even less. I hated this POS.

Never played the original, but heard about it being more action oriented. This wasn't Action Oriented... this shit was RE6. Please, Capcom, never ever make anything close to this piece of shit.

Its good that this abomination didn't sell.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#24 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

It wasnt very good- what were people expecting?

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

Game was way to short for its price, was also pretty bad.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@BenjaminBanklin said:

I haven't bought it yet because nothing about it screamed "full price purchase". RE2 remake was fantastic, but this one sounded more rushed at the cost of content.

It definitely screams "wait for a sale".

Admittedly haven't picked it up either, which is rare, typically buy any shit labeled "Resident Evil", but could see a mile away something was off with this one.