Resident Evil 4 Remake is probably best RE game game to date?

• 139 results
above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By above_average
Member since 2021 • 1583 Posts

Weird thing to say for so many system warriors about a narrative driven, 3rd person, over the shoulder, cinematic, Sony template style game, complete with QUICK TIME EVENTS!? When in all other cases these all same people claim to hate these types of games.

This just exposes the fact that most of the games you praising while hating on these Sony template games just aren't that good, since you're blown away by RE4 Remake that doesn't have have as good of gameplay as the majority of Sony developed titles.

Actually RE4 gameplay feels slow and clunky AF compared to any AAA Sony game I can think of. I'd have to resort back to David Cage titles to even compare something that feels as plodding

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11623 Posts

I'm still a RE1make is still the best imo, but 4 is great.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#53 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24980 Posts

@above_average said:

Weird thing to say for so many system warriors about a narrative driven, 3rd person, over the shoulder, cinematic, Sony template style game, complete with QUICK TIME EVENTS!? When in all other cases these all same people claim to hate these types of games.

This just exposes the fact that most of the games you praising while hating on these Sony template games just aren't that good, since you're blown away by RE4 Remake that doesn't have have as good of gameplay as the majority of Sony developed titles.

Actually RE4 gameplay feels slow and clunky AF compared to any AAA Sony game I can think of. I'd have to resort back to David Cage titles to even compare something that feels as plodding

RE4 Remake is EXACT opposite of sony movie titles.

when I played Uncharted 4. in first 3 4 hours I was doing nothing.

here in first 10 mintues I was escaping from horde of zombies in village. also im at chapter 5 and game have insane amount of gameplay and exploration. not a single scripted sequence i experience so far.

you cant compare RE4 to any sony movie trash.

ThatForumUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#54 ThatForumUser
Member since 2019 • 706 Posts

I will wait for game pass to tell you my opinion because this update is not Smart Delivery - Capcom use this option!!

stacweed11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 stacweed11
Member since 2020 • 447 Posts

I just got the platinum trophy on the remake last night. Beat the game 7 times to do so..... and not the biggest fan of OG RE4. Yea the remake is excellent.

Still think RE2 RE is the best though.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23718 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

Just found the game kinda souless and repetitive. Know that a shitty lazy term "soulless", but it felt like the most generic "baby first horror" 101 thing I've played. Apathy to it.

Nah, used to think it was too vague a crit, but I think everyone gets it these days. So much of modern gaming and entertainment is that.

Dead Space kinda ticks that box for me too. But it was more the actual game for me, just felt... flat. Like everything was just a "good enough" version of stuff other games were clearly doing better. The few things it could call its own, largely superficial.

And yeah, very repetitive. Again, hard not to compare to RE4. Which was like Mario Galaxy in terms of "how the **** did you guys have that many good ideas". I know you're not that big on RE4, but damn that variety was top.

Was honestly confused when the Dead Space remake was drumming up so much hype. As if I came from a different timeline, don't remember people being so hot on the original.

Probably seems like I'm shitting on it, but don't really think it's a bad game or anything.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#57 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59088 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Just found the game kinda souless and repetitive. Know that a shitty lazy term "soulless", but it felt like the most generic "baby first horror" 101 thing I've played. Apathy to it.

Nah, used to think it was too vague a crit, but I think everyone gets it these days. So much of modern gaming and entertainment is that.

Dead Space kinda ticks that box for me too. But it was more the actual game for me, just felt... flat. Like everything was just a "good enough" version of stuff other games were clearly doing better. The few things it could call its own, largely superficial.

And yeah, very repetitive. Again, hard not to compare to RE4. Which was like Mario Galaxy in terms of "how the **** did you guys have that many good ideas". I know you're not that big on RE4, but damn that variety was top.

Was honestly confused when the Dead Space remake was drumming up so much hype. As if I came from a different timeline, don't remember people being so hot on the original.

Probably seems like I'm shitting on it, but don't really think it's a bad game or anything.

Yea, wouldn't call if a bad game but you're right about the hype, seen it quite a few times listed on "le best horror games" sometimes lulzy above stuff like System Shock 2.

Saying that haven't played the remake, and played 1/2 lit (once) on the hardest difficulty years back. So my memories might be fuzzy, in fact, yea, def will be fuzzy.

But the fact felt no need to play it and reg go back to stuff like SS2 or RE2 etc... should say enough.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#58 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19588 Posts

RE4 has always been the best RE game, but ghost refused to admit it just because the controls weren't made for keyboard and mouse... But at least he's finally seen the light. Ghost has been developing good taste lately, with quality games like Doom Eternal, Final Fantasy VII Remake and now RE4 Remake.

Moistcarrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Moistcarrot
Member since 2015 • 1478 Posts

It's good, but it's kinda just re4 again.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#60  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39260 Posts

@moistcarrot said:

It's good, but it's kinda just re4 again.

Could only see this being an issue if you're doing a RE4 playthrough once a couple of years, which i've heard plenty of people doing. If you haven't play the game since 05-06, it being "just RE4" is pretty good.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50596 Posts

Dunno, but I'd enjoy it a lot more if Leon didn't walk so damn slow!

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#62 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

@evil_kane:

RE4 (2005) was more influential and ground breaking for sure, hence the metacritic scores reflect that, but RE4 has to be an improvement in literally every way.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 hardwenzen

@Chutebox said:

Dunno, but I'd enjoy it a lot more if Leon didn't walk so damn slow!

Would make the game too easy.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 hardwenzen
Loading Video...

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Ghosts4ever

@hardwenzen: RE4 is what TLOU should have been.

similar structure but done much better in RE4 as its gamey game compare to TLOU that is glorified hollywood movie.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By hardwenzen

@ghosts4ever said:

similar structure but done much better in RE4 as its gamey game compare to TLOU that is glorified hollywood movie.

You have no idea what you're talking about. RE4 is an arcadey game, while TLOU aims for realism, just like RDR does. Gameplay in TLOU2 is much more fluid than it is in RE4R.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50596 Posts

@hardwenzen: There should be a speed between his walk and sprint, that's all. Not asking for his sprint to be faster.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Ghosts4ever

@hardwenzen said:
@ghosts4ever said:

You have no idea what you're talking about. RE4 is an arcadey game, while TLOU aims for realism, just like RDR does. Gameplay in TLOU2 is much more fluid than it is in RE4R.

nope.

RE4 is action game done right. its not horror game. nothing horror about it. but its great action game with no scripted sequence or walking segments for 30 minutes.

TLOU is movie game. hand holding, scripted.

theres huge difference.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 hardwenzen

@ghosts4ever said:
@hardwenzen said:
@ghosts4ever said:

nope.

RE4 is action game done right. its not horror game. nothing horror about it. but its great action game with no scripted sequence or walking segments for 30 minutes.

TLOU is movie game. hand holding, scripted.

theres huge difference.

Nobody said that its not an action game. I said that its an arcadey title, while TLOU and TLOU2 are both aiming for realism, and do an amazing job of achieving it.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Mozelleple112

@stacweed11: RE4 remake master race. I too want to get the platinum for this game. Kind of turned off by the amount of specific playthroughs you have to do. If it was just beating it 7 times across difficulties, fine, but knife/pistol only, no talking to merchant, no healing, A rank on professional with no special weapons? speed running? ughhh.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Mozelleple112

@above_average: I'm probably the biggest fan of narrative driven games on this sub and lol RE4 is not one of them. It is an action based third person shooter title similar to The Last of Us, except The Last of Us 1 & 2 are more cinematic and are narrative driven. RE4R is more arcade-y and more action-y. the story is hardly present.

overall I prefer TLOU and TLOU2 for their industry-leading stories they both tell in conjunction with best-in-class gameplay but RE4R is pretty damn close to their quality.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Ghosts4ever

@Mozelleple112 said:

@above_average: I'm probably the biggest fan of narrative driven games on this sub and lol RE4 is not one of them. It is an action based third person shooter title similar to The Last of Us, except The Last of Us 1 & 2 are more cinematic and are narrative driven. RE4R is more arcade-y and more action-y. the story is hardly present.

overall I prefer TLOU and TLOU2 for their industry-leading stories they both tell in conjunction with best-in-class gameplay but RE4R is pretty damn close to their quality.

RE4 is so much better than TLOU. RE4 is pure game. and doesnot have any of scripted segments or walking segments. its shits all over TLOU.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Mozelleple112

@ghosts4ever: No it certainly does not. RE4 remake is a 9.5/10 and a GOTG contender.

TLOU is a 10/10 and a GOAT contender.

gameplay wise they are roughly equal in terms of quality of combat mechanics, enemy design, level design, enjoyment, replayability etc (obviously TLOU has vastly superior AI) but TLOU also has the best story video gaming has ever told, along with that gameplay.

RE4R doesn't. and RE4 does have scripted stuff lol. The rail way segments, the fight with Krauser, all are scripted. But it does not matter, scripted = good

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 uninspiredcup

@Mozelleple112 said:

@ghosts4ever: No it certainly does not. RE4 remake is a 9.5/10 and a GOTG contender.

gameplay wise they are roughly equal in terms of quality of combat mechanics, enemy design, level design, enjoyment, replayability etc (obviously TLOU has vastly superior AI) but TLOU also has the best story video gaming has ever told, along with that gameplay.

RE4R doesn't. and RE4 does have scripted stuff lol. The rail way segments, the fight with Krauser, all are scripted. But it does not matter, scripted = good

That's 0.5 higher.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Ghosts4ever

@Mozelleple112: TLOU is a movie game. scripted cinematic trash.

RE4-R is proper game. Third person action game that is not movie game. even remove QTE elements from original.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:
@Mozelleple112 said:

That's 0.5 higher.

He is mainstream gaming journalist. any game that is more mainstream and more popular is good. any game that is third person cinematic movie game is best thing ever. it get Awards. GOTY its best game ever.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@Mozelleple112 said:

That's 0.5 higher.

He is mainstream gaming journalist. any game that is more mainstream and more popular is good. any game that is third person cinematic movie game is best thing ever. it get Awards. GOTY its best game ever.

But Resident Evil is more mainstream than Last Of Us. And explicitly a cinematic series.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#78 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@ghosts4ever:

Maybe if it had Raid mode. Otherwise, no. It's great but there's definitely still room for improvement. I'd like to see if they go as far as RE6 with remakes and expand on the dodging and rolling mechanics. Because that gameplay was FANTASTIC. If they can combine that with RE4 remake's new mechanics: you'd have the best Resident Evil ever made.

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

User Lists: 1

#79  Edited By The_Deepblue
Member since 2007 • 1484 Posts

The original RE4 was already the best in the series, so it’s sort of a given that an excellent remake of that game is automatically the new best in the franchise.

I kind of miss the quick-time events, but I can also see how omitting most of them is a quality-of-life improvement. The game is just so, so good regardless of the iteration.

And you cannot even begin to understand how revolutionary this game was either unless you knew gaming before 2005. So many games have been influenced by RE4. Heck, Sony’s entire first-party lineup owes its existence and success to RE4. It’s a top five game all-time, no matter the version.

templecow90999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 templecow90999
Member since 2021 • 913 Posts

I think the original is better but the remake is really excellent. Just got to the castle on my 2nd playthrough.

I also echo the sentiment that I don't like speedrunning this game but Capcom clearly wants me to do it multiple times if I want to unlock everything. The original had none of that. You can buy the tommy gun and infinite launcher after beating the game on normal, and you also got the op armor costume for Ashley. Get the laser cannon for beating the game on pro (so sad it was omitted from the remake). Get the handcannon for getting 5 stars in mercenaries.

This game is going to take A LOT of runs to unlock everything.

stacweed11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 stacweed11

@Mozelleple112: it's not so bad dude! You don't need to do the professional mode run 1st playthrough for the hand cannon anymore, just do s rank in mercenaries mode. Very easy to do.

The pistol/knife, no healing, no merchant, do it on new game plus with OP pistols on assisted difficulty. You got this 💪🏼🙌🏽

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Mozelleple112

@stacweed11: Thanks for the encouragement! It'll be my 10th platinum and worth it for sure if I do get it.

And yeah as you say, the mercenaries DLC really did help a lot. I only did one level but I quickly and easily got an S rank so I assume the other levels will be pretty quick and easy too. That gets the Handcannon unlocked fast so I believe only the Chicago Typewriter will suck to get (A or better on Professional?)

I'm almost done with my second run, my strategy is this:

1. Play the game 100% blind on normal (done)
  2. play the game for fun on hardcore, while clearing collectables/ challenges (14/16 Ch. are done)
  3. Pistol/knife only run + no merchant on assisted with max Blacktail / infinity knife
  4. Aim for an A rankProfessional run as I should have infinite RPG / hand-cannon by now
  5. No healing run on assisted now with all the OP weapons available.

Then there's run 6 and 7 for the S+ Normal and S+ hardcore trophies that I am sceptical about as I won't be able to do these on an NG+ and that really annoys me. So no Infinity typewriter / Hand-cannon / RPG / knife ...

For one I don't know if I will ever be able to beat the times... even if I had all the OP tools I will definitely save these for last.

I might be burned out from 5 runs but RE4 is so good I think I will actually enjoy beating it 7 times.

Just not when I forced to play fast / without specific weapons etc. If I do go for them I will probably have to look at youtube and 1:1 their steps.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45276 Posts

damn, that's a pretty convincing cosplayer lol

stacweed11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 stacweed11

@Mozelleple112: Sounds like you have a plan. I'd recommend doing the knife/pistol, no merchant, no heal same run. On assisted your health regenerates back to yellow after you're clear of danger.

Get an A rank on professional using infinite rocket to unlock armor ashley ( she can't get picked up, or damaged) and also unlocks chicago typewriter. You can use that suit and gun and still get S+ ranks.

For S+ ranks do all the side quest on the village which gets enough spinel to unlock exclusive perk for the typewriter at the castle, which grants infinite and and no reloading.

It's a fun game so finishing that many times isn't to bad, and beating the game sub 4 hours is pretty easy once you know the puzzle solutions and path 💪🏼

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Mozelleple112

@uninspiredcup: Is it though? I'm pretty sure The Last of Us 1 alone is close to the all time sales of the RE franchise. I was disappointed to find out how poorly RE games are selling, especially RE4 as it is one of the GOATs of gaming.

And now with the TLOU TV show I have colleagues at work talking about TLOU lol. Obviously no intention of playing the game (boo) but still.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By ConanTheStoner
@Mozelleple112 said:

@uninspiredcup: Is it though? I'm pretty sure The Last of Us 1 alone is close to the all time sales of the RE franchise. I was disappointed to find out how poorly RE games are selling, especially RE4 as it is one of the GOATs of gaming.

Damn man. Not sure if you're serious here lol.

Just to be clear, don't give a shit about sales as a metric.

But a quick search shows RE series at 135 million copies sold as of December last year. I don't need to search TLOU1 sales to know it's not scratching that. Pretty sure REmake2 alone sold like 11 mill.

This series is a cash cow, Capcoms biggest cash cow at that.

@Mozelleple112 said:

And now with the TLOU TV show I have colleagues at work talking about TLOU lol. Obviously no intention of playing the game (boo) but still.

Yeah. Resident Evil has a lengthy history in other media as well.

We're talking about a multi billion dollar franchise here, not some little guy scraping by lol.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By uninspiredcup

Believe when it comes to other media as well Resident Evil is still more widely known than Last Or Of Us. Made a katwillion dollars when combine them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films_based_on_video_games

If they are good or shit, regardless, goobers ran out to see Jill Valentine in her latex custome.

The new one didn't seem to fair so well. And the CGI movies (which are actually canon and closer to source material) primarily have their audience in Japan.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Mozelleple112

@ConanTheStoner: Yeah my mistake, I was confusing RE numbers with DMC numbers (life time franchise is 23 million with DMC5 only selling 4.3 million after a quick search) I cannot believe only 4 million people bought DMC5. What a shame. the original DMC which I consider to be the best hack slash game of all time sold a pathetic 2.16 million. Like holy shit how can such a good game sell so little. Meanwhile shitty AC games probably selling 5x that every single year..

TLOU1 on its own is around 20 million.

I see RE franchise sells way more than the DMC franchise, but RE4 only 11 million after being released on like a dozen platforms is still a bit underwhelming

Edit: Looking my source for the DMC sales, it appears even worse. The 23 million is counting the HD remaster multiple times. (its counting as 1.4 million for each of the games, but I am pretty sure its 1.4 million for the entire bundle)

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 ConanTheStoner

@Mozelleple112:

Oh yeah, DMC certainly doesn't put up the numbers like that. It's a genre that only had mainstream appeal in gen 6. Mechanically deep, challenging, gameplay focused games aren't exactly what most gamers these days are looking for.

Still, those DMC5 numbers are a big success relative to that series and genre.

And gotta keep in mind with DMC1, relative to its time, those were strong sales. Back then a million plus was great, especially for a new IP. Didn't have these AAA budgets out of control with production values.

Best not to worry about what puts up big numbers vs what doesn't, will only bum you out. 😅

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 SolidGame_basic

Don’t remember the Regenerators acting like walruses in the original..

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 SolidGame_basic

Just beat the game! 22 hours on hardcore mode (probably a little more than that for the times I died lol). Amazing game! Well done.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 ConanTheStoner

@SolidGame_basic:

Time to buy the eye patch and hop into professional mode.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 SolidGame_basic

@ConanTheStoner said:

@SolidGame_basic:

Time to buy the eye patch and hop into professional mode.

Lmao.. hardcore had me yelling at the TV. I don’t know what professional mode would do.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 ConanTheStoner

@SolidGame_basic:

Right now I'm just doing it as a NG+, so it's actually pretty easy.

Kinda wish this game did like some of Platinums stuff. Where they let you start with your acquired kit, but mix in late game enemies earlier, give enemies new behaviors, etc. Or like how Ninja Gaiden takes it step further and even introduces all new enemy types.

Basically a NG+ where the game is every bit as challenging if not more so. But in interesting ways, not just some lame value changes.

PCLover1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 PCLover1980
Member since 2022 • 1264 Posts
Loading Video...

Guess the purists really dislike the new one lol. He changed the video title too, but this one is more sarcastic.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 SolidGame_basic

@ConanTheStoner said:

@SolidGame_basic:

Right now I'm just doing it as a NG+, so it's actually pretty easy.

Kinda wish this game did like some of Platinums stuff. Where they let you start with your acquired kit, but mix in late game enemies earlier, give enemies new behaviors, etc. Or like how Ninja Gaiden takes it step further and even introduces all new enemy types.

Basically a NG+ where the game is every bit as challenging if not more so. But in interesting ways, not just some lame value changes.

Yea that would be cool. Btw, I got a B rating lol.

I haven’t played the original since it came out. This felt like they changed it up a bit. Am I right on that or did they stay faithful to it?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Ghosts4ever

@pclover1980 said:
Loading Video...

Guess the purists really dislike the new one lol. He changed the video title too, but this one is more sarcastic.

Gman exposed him for lower the sound of Remake. he changed the title name.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 hardwenzen

This is the shittiest Crowbcat video i have seen on his channel. The editing is so bad that i am worried the man has sold his channel to somebody else.

PCLover1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 PCLover1980
Member since 2022 • 1264 Posts

@ghosts4ever:Yeah, it's weird. I never experienced that low of an ambient sound on my end. If anything, I had to lower the volume cos it blasted my ears. Also the mixing range is wider in the remake than the original.

@hardwenzen: I liked some of his content, even the Cyberpunk one even if I did like the game. But this video is just dishonest at parts, and cringey at best on the others... And I'm one of those boomers who likes the OG RE4.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 ConanTheStoner

@SolidGame_basic said:

Yea that would be cool. Btw, I got a B rating lol.

I haven’t played the original since it came out. This felt like they changed it up a bit. Am I right on that or did they stay faithful to it?

It's faithful in a lot of ways that matter, but there's definitely a lot of changes, big and small. Some for the better, but more for the worse.

Still a great game though, way better than I thought it'd be.