Remastered in HD games a bigger scam than DLC?

• 137 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

Poll is messed up a little:

If the launch price was$40 for these games then it would be more reasonable.

means: less than $40

This is just my opinion. I thought DLC, Resurgence & Stimulus package main examples, were one of the biggest scams of gaming and one of the downs of this gen (thank you TES 4) but wow. These "Remastered in HD" games are gaining ground to this title. Why would I pay (just my opnion) $40 for games I already own? Just for 720p and trophies/achievements? I mainly have beef with people who buy it for the trophies/achievements. $40 for pixels. "Hey! but you pay $60 for pixels all the time then by that logic, lulz TC is fail". No, I pay $60 to enjoy the game. Those people mentioned just pay $40 for added numbers to their trophies or gamerscore.

Thats my rant.

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

I'd have less problems if they strived for BC and HD remakes.

don't understand why you can honestly think an HD remake is better....we aren't going to see HD remakes of GTA San Andreas.....why wouldn't you want BC:?

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#3 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
I think it depends on the user. For me, that I didn't own a ps2, it is a great deal for me and hey, it is still a full game or multiple full games at the price of one.
Warriorboy1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#4 Warriorboy1990
Member since 2008 • 3813 Posts

This is just my opinion. I thought DLC, Resurgence & Stimulus package main examples, were one of the biggest scams of gaming and one of the downs of this gen (thank you TES 4) but wow. These "Remastered in HD" games are gaining ground to this title. Why would I pay (just my opnion) $40 for games I already own? Just for 720p and trophies/achievements? I mainly have beef with people who buy it for the trophies/achievements. $40 for pixels. "Hey! but you pay $60 for pixels all the time then by that logic, lulz TC is fail". No, I pay $60 to enjoy the game. Those people mentioned just pay $40 for added numbers to their trophies or gamerscore.

Thats my rant.

DroidPhysX
DLC is still a bigger scam.
2-10-08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#5 2-10-08
Member since 2008 • 2775 Posts

Considering the games were meant to be played in a lower resolution, remastering games is a complete scam.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

Thats my rant.

DroidPhysX

I stopped reading there. The collections are also made to introduce the series to new people.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
It's a bit of a scam when they take off BC in the later systems and then coincidentally start to release these remastered titles. It would be like the Wii losing complete BC and starting to see Super Mario Sunshine coming out with M+ support.
coltsfan4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 coltsfan4ever
Member since 2006 • 2628 Posts

Thats my rant.

DroidPhysX

What about the people who never got a chance to play the remastered HD games when they were first released? I would rather play them now with current gen tech and added features then buy them now. I never played the Sly Cooper games so the remastered version is a win in my book.

savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 savebattery
Member since 2009 • 3626 Posts
The only remakes I can tolerate are home console to portable remakes or remakes of games never released in a certain region.
cloudff7tm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 cloudff7tm
Member since 2006 • 3975 Posts

Not at all. If someone never played the first 2 GOW, they get two full, quality games for $30, with HD and trophies.

In Sly Coopers case, 3 full, quality games for $40, with trophies and HD.

Doesn't sound like a scam too me.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DroidPhysX

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

Thats my rant.

toast_burner

I stopped reading there. The collections are also made to introduce the series to new people.

You really think the collections were made in mind to introduce the series to new people? I mean, these are businesses we're talking about

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26650 Posts
I never owned a PS2. So it's alright by me. However, Sly never really interested me in the first place.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
The only remakes I can tolerate are home console to portable remakes or remakes of games never released in a certain region.savebattery
Chrono trigger FTW!!!!!
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DroidPhysX

I never owned a PS2. So it's alright by me. However, Sly never really interested me in the first place.DragonfireXZ95

True. Well i should of made an extra bit concerning this section. Sorry for not everyone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

Thats my rant.

DroidPhysX

You really think the collections were made in mind to introduce the series to new people? I mean, these are businesses we're talking about

Oh yeah, I forgot that businesses hate making new customers :roll:

FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 FIipMode
Member since 2009 • 10850 Posts
Not for me so far all of the HD collections are of games I haven't played on the PS2, now I get them all on one disc remastered for 40 bucks, I don't feel ripped at all.
felipebo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 felipebo
Member since 2009 • 4170 Posts

Neither DLC nor remakes are scams. They are great opportunities for people who didn't have acess to the original for whatever reason. And they can increase sales. I know it's a very specific case, but here's how:

I knew that God Of War 3 was coming out. But I didn't want to play it without playing the originals, so there would be 60 dollars Sony didn't make. But, they release GOW: Collection, made a sale off that (something very easy to make, just polish up graphics and add trophies) and get the sale from GOW3. Win win situation, Sony gets money and I didn't miss out on a great series.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DroidPhysX

Not for me so far all of the HD collections are of games I haven't played on the PS2, now I get them all on one disc remastered for 40 bucks, I don't feel ripped at all. FIipMode

Well thats just me. Whats a scam to me is great deal to another person...we all have different preferences i guess

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

A scam implies that people are paying for one thing and getting something something else. I think pretty much everyone who buys an HD remake of a PS2 game is expecting to get an HD remake of a PS2 game. :?

black_tempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 black_tempest
Member since 2008 • 2459 Posts
"Why would I pay (just my opnion) $40 for games I already own?" And there lies the inherent problem; of course you wouldn't pay for games you already own. But myself, and a large number of other people missed the opportunity to play these games and therefore are not paying for games we already own at all... it's up to your discretion whether or not you buy these games.
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DroidPhysX

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

[QUOTE="toast_burner"]I stopped reading there. The collections are also made to introduce the series to new people.

toast_burner

Well I'll acknowledge that they're trying to introduce the series to new people but thats not the entire reason of why they made the collection. It could be part or most of it

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

i think it's a rip but as soon as a game comes out that i want in hd and more importantly 3D then it won't be such a rip and i will waste my money on it.

anyway it's not my place to tell people how to blow the money that they earn no matter how stupid it looks to me. i didn't earn it so i don't get a say.

when Ico, Okaml and SotC comes out in 3Dhd then i'm there.

dethroned3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dethroned3
Member since 2007 • 1104 Posts

Thats my rant.

DroidPhysX

everything about your post is messed up because you don't know the definition of SCAM

dethroned3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dethroned3

Considering the games were meant to be played in a lower resolution, remastering games is a complete scam.

2-10-08

scam? do you understand the definition of scam? and havent you seen all the hd remakes on xbox live arcade and psn? its business for god's sake.
remastering is at least better than releasing it again without improvements

hd5870corei7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hd5870corei7
Member since 2010 • 1612 Posts

I have never played a Sly game in my life. I missed those titles simply because I had way to many games on PS2.

Now that I have more money than I did back in the PS2 days and we don't have that exuberance of quality titles the PS2 had (although kinda close)

I want these games. I have a 60 gb BC PS3 that was bought the day it released in Japan (Japanese connections ftw :D)

I would gladly pay $60 for these games as the trophy support + HD remake is EASILY worth the $13.XX bucks per game.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts

[QUOTE="2-10-08"]

dethroned3

scam? do you understand the definition of scam? and havent you seen all the hd remakes on xbox live arcade and psn? its business for god's sake.
remastering is at least better than releasing it again without improvements

You are right, re-releasing those GC games with motion controls made them even worse!:o

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DroidPhysX

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

Thats my rant.

dethroned3

everything about your post is messed up because you don't know the definition of SCAM

When did i say my post was messed up? All i said was that my poll for the thread was messed up.

So i guess people that say DLC is a scam don't know the definition of SCAM either?

dethroned3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dethroned3

[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

DroidPhysX

Well I'll acknowledge that they're trying to introduce the series to new people but thats not the entire reason of why they made the collection. It could be part or most of it

then what's the entire reason? both three companies are doing it. they're all trying to expand the gaming business. they're all trying to make money?
what's the scam and where is the scam in that?

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

[QUOTE="dethroned3"]

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

Thats my rant.

DroidPhysX

When did i say my post was messed up? All i said was that my poll for the thread was messed up.

So i guess people that say DLC is a scam don't know the definition of SCAM either?

yeah, we're stuck in a loop of exploitable double-standards now:o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

I just went on Amazon and saw this

dethroned3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dethroned3

[QUOTE="dethroned3"]

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

Thats my rant.

DroidPhysX

i say that your post is messed up because you dont know the definition of scam. answer my question above please.

scam: 1) A fraudulent business scheme 2)Deprive of by deceit

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#32 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49583 Posts
The only issue with me is that Sony touted BC back in 2006, and then they remove it. And now they, instead of adding BC, decide to port old games in HD and throw on trophies and then place a price on it. That's the epitome of milkage to the max.
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

toast_burner
"In stock. Sold by games4lessuk" That's an inherent contradiction in regards to the name of the seller, and the price of the game. lol
Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Skittles_McGee
Member since 2008 • 9136 Posts
They're both scams? Thats news to me.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Thats my rant.

DroidPhysX

Some people may not have played them when they were on PS2. I never owned any of the Sly Cooper games, and I never played either Team ICO games. Going back to a last gen game may prove to be an eye sore to some. Getting 2+ games in 720p and 60FPS for $40 isn't a bad deal at all. Considering I paid $100 for God of War 1 and 2 and now people who missed them can enjoy and upgraded version of both is great.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

Stevo_the_gamer

"In stock. Sold by games4lessuk" That's an inherent contradiction in regards to the name of the seller, and the price of the game. lol

I guess an unused copy of Sly Raccoon (in PAL territory at least) is rare, as all 4 sellers are charging that much and no where else has it in stock

xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts

Since when has things that you aren't made to purchase become a scam? Since when are add-ons or additions to games that aren't available until a certain date a scam. Really get over it, its called free enterprise. The bottom line is a lot money and time are put into video games. if you think you are getting scammed why are you buying games and why are you complaining about it? DLC is not a scam I don't care if the content is already on the disc or not. If you read the little fine print of any software you would realize thatyou don't own the software you have the RIGHT to play it, therefore the locked data as a lot ofyoucall itthat is not available is not free nor should it be, why? Well you didn't pay for it yet,

MassiveKaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MassiveKaos
Member since 2006 • 3876 Posts

Your logic is flawled. Mostl likely there will be alot of people buying them that never played these games before or only some of the games included and not all. Secondly alotof people sell their games, cant find there old copies, or the older copies are stratched or damaged. Lastly some people may have enjoyed eseries alot and would love to replay them in hd?

Your not forced to buy them anyway.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

I guess an unused copy of Sly Raccoon (in PAL territory at least) is rare, as all 4 sellers are charging that much and no where else has it in stock

toast_burner

Hmm, supply and demand economics. Can be great, and it can be a *****.

Tigerrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Tigerrus
Member since 2008 • 156 Posts
The only issue with me is that Sony touted BC back in 2006, and then they remove it. And now they, instead of adding BC, decide to port old games in HD and throw on trophies and then place a price on it. That's the epitome of milkage to the max.Stevo_the_gamer
Actually they removed BC because people were complaining they were charging too much for the PS3 and originally it almost literally had a PS2 in it. And when they tried software BC they weren't getting all the PS2 games to work so they ended up ditching it. And if you wanted them to give true BC again they would have to have everyone return their PS3s in exchange for new ones with the PS2 inside it again. Yes it is their fault for making the PS3 use Blu-ray discs for why it costed so much, but blu-ray is the major thing that sets the PS3 aside from the other consoles this gen. If I still have a working PS2 I would never think about repurchasing a game just for it to work on all PS3s and have trophy support. Though since they are in HD I might consider some of them if I don't have most of the games in it. Though I have 2 out of the 3 sly games so unless if I see the sly collection in a bargin bin it would be a hard buy for me. Though if I wanted to play the Sly games and this started to come out and for somereason I didn't get em on the PS2 I would possibly buy the collection. I think the collections are an opertunity for die-hard fans of the series to get HD remakes to justify them playing the game again.(that is the most "scammy" part of it) Or for people that never played the series before and thought about it to get all the games on one disc with out tracking down them at a used game store(or on the web were you have to take their word for that it works). I would personally consider buying improved ps2 games for the ps3 if they are bundled in the same disc of around for $15 or less a PS2 game if I really liked the game or wanted to try it but never cared to get it for the PS2.
Stumpt25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 Stumpt25
Member since 2006 • 1482 Posts
I missed out on GoW, so by getting the collection, I was able to get the third one and not miss out on anything. I've also heard great things about Shadow of the Colossus, but I missed out on in when it was on PS2, so the thought of playing that in HD is really great.
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#42 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Its a good price, and its a very good way to get gamers who haven't played certain games to experience those games with more of a push to do so. I still have a 60gb BC PS3 and I think its a good idea since I probably wouldn't have ended up getting the PS2 GoW games otherwise, while the GoW Collection has trophies and is in HD with 60FPS.

If you haven't played a game series and want to play it the best way you can with trophies added, collections are great and offer great value. You could just not play the games at all if it irks you or get a PS2 if your PS3 doesn't have BC. If you already played it then no one is forcing you to get the collection, its your choice if you want it enough for the trophies and remastering.

88mphSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 88mphSlayer
Member since 2010 • 3201 Posts

depends on if they do something to improve the game

like Serious Sam HD, which i thoroughly enjoyed (helped that steam had it on sale for $7 when i picked it up)

i would totally pick up an ICO HD collection if they improved the controls and framerate tho, but otherwise i'm not interested in picking up last gen titles just for extra resolution, playing last gen games upscaled isn't really bad enough to warrent spending $40

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Well, I never played a single Sly because I didn't get them when theya released and afterwards I wasn't able to find them. Getting all 3 games, better loking, with 3D and Move support and trophy support is absolutely epic for me ^^ Anyway, there are some fantastic PS2 games around and I'd like to play more with improved graphics and additional features, I'd gladly buy compilations like Kingdom Hearts, Suikoden or anything NIS developed ^^

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

they're certainly worth the money for people who haven't played them before, but i think $30-35 would be more reasonable.

Karnage108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Karnage108
Member since 2010 • 2595 Posts
Not for me so far all of the HD collections are of games I haven't played on the PS2, now I get them all on one disc remastered for 40 bucks, I don't feel ripped at all. FIipMode
If you haven't played them then how can you say if trophies and HD will really make the collection worth it, considering you can get the originals for around $5 a piece?
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

2-10-08

How is that?

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10311 Posts

The only thing close to a scam I can think of is that they take out BC and then they start doing remakes. For people that where intersted but never got a copy or never owned the console but were interested in the games it's a great deal. Let's not talk about the fanboys who will buy anything. I still see DLC as a bigger chance for scam. Anyways BC is only something that extends maybe to less than half of console-based gaming history. In the mayority of that you had to undust an old system to play an old game. So the concept of them selling remakes of old games for newer systems isn't such a crazy idea.

RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 RadecSupreme
Member since 2009 • 4824 Posts

I cant see how its a scam really.:| Its a 3 games in one. If it was priced at 60 dollars then yea but its not.

FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 FIipMode
Member since 2009 • 10850 Posts
[QUOTE="FIipMode"]Not for me so far all of the HD collections are of games I haven't played on the PS2, now I get them all on one disc remastered for 40 bucks, I don't feel ripped at all. Karnage108
If you haven't played them then how can you say if trophies and HD will really make the collection worth it, considering you can get the originals for around $5 a piece?

I think its worth it because I get all 3 good games remastered in HD, just what I said before.