Reggie - Nintendo not moving to smartphones, 3DS leading with software...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

King_Dodongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 King_Dodongo
Member since 2006 • 3759 Posts
Ok I haven't seen this thread and even if this news are from yesterday I will post them. (LOL) "Certainly we are adding more and more elements to fill out the experience and take away more and more time from competing devices," Fils-Aime said. "But our handhelds will always lead with games." "3DS content will be dramatically unique to our platform, because I don't think a smartphone manufacturer will invest to put a 3-D parallax screen in their device and not have the content to bring it to life." "What I have on Apple is content, because it's our content," he said. "That will give Nintendo a long-term competitive advantage." Source: http://blogs.forbes.com/oliverchiang/2010/10/28/apple-microsoft-and-sony-are-making-game-ready-smartphones-will-nintendo-not-likely-nintendo-president-says/
davidkamayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 davidkamayor
Member since 2008 • 1642 Posts

Good no one wants to sign another contract.

InfinityMugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 InfinityMugen
Member since 2007 • 3905 Posts

Ok I haven't seen this thread and even if this news are from yesterday I will post them. (LOL) "Certainly we are adding more and more elements to fill out the experience and take away more and more time from competing devices," Fils-Aime said. "But our handhelds will always lead with games." "3DS content will be dramatically unique to our platform, because I don't think a smartphone manufacturer will invest to put a 3-D parallax screen in their device and not have the content to bring it to life." "What I have on Apple is content, because it's our content," he said. "That will give Nintendo a long-term competitive advantage." Source: http://blogs.forbes.com/oliverchiang/2010/10/28/apple-microsoft-and-sony-are-making-game-ready-smartphones-will-nintendo-not-likely-nintendo-president-says/King_Dodongo

That's all I pretty much care about. Bring the content gamers want and the money will be there.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
And we can all thank Jebus for that.
nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts
[QUOTE="King_Dodongo"]Ok I haven't seen this thread and even if this news are from yesterday I will post them. (LOL) "Certainly we are adding more and more elements to fill out the experience and take away more and more time from competing devices," Fils-Aime said. "But our handhelds will always lead with games." "3DS content will be dramatically unique to our platform, because I don't think a smartphone manufacturer will invest to put a 3-D parallax screen in their device and not have the content to bring it to life." "What I have on Apple is content, because it's our content," he said. "That will give Nintendo a long-term competitive advantage." Source: http://blogs.forbes.com/oliverchiang/2010/10/28/apple-microsoft-and-sony-are-making-game-ready-smartphones-will-nintendo-not-likely-nintendo-president-says/

Despite the obvious flaming, I do admire and respect that Ninty has made hardcore gaming a priority over making a quick buck by following the "phone trend".
gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#6 gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

I see Apple as a competitor to Sony, but not so much to Nintendo. The majority of the people who play DS aren't exactly the type of folks obsessed with iPhone. Reggie is right though, Nintendo has an incredibly strong 1st party lineup.

Nintendo should make some 3rd-party exclusivity deals like MS does. I remember them doing that with Resident Evil on GameCube. Capcom already seems to love the 3DS. Nintendo should cut a deal with them for rights to games like Zack & Wiki and Monster Hunter.

p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6610 Posts

Games games games. Hell yeah and so far the games are looking good.

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts

I see Apple as a competitor to Sonygamecubepad
Ironic since Apple shoved a ton of their marketing into MGS4. :P

LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 LaytonsCat
Member since 2010 • 3652 Posts

[QUOTE="gamecubepad"]I see Apple as a competitor to Sonynervmeister

they wouldn't do that now

games are why teh iphone isn't a game system

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#10 gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

[QUOTE="gamecubepad"]I see Apple as a competitor to Sonynervmeister

Did they? I don't buy Apple products, so I never saw it.

With the rumored PSP/Android phone, Sony and Apple are definitely getting ready to throw down. Although, the PSPhone might just be a PSPGo with phone capabilities. We'll see.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
did anyone actually think nintendo would move into smartphones?
King_Dodongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 King_Dodongo
did anyone actually think nintendo would move into smartphones?BrunoBRS
Well with the recent news of the PSPhone, some people wondered what would be Nintendo's move.
Loco_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Loco_Live
Member since 2010 • 3147 Posts

▲ All I read was, "Ours is better, because I said so.", Also, Nintendo is the only dev to use their gimmicks innovatively, 3RD party devs never do it right. And how often does nintendo release AAA games for the wii and DS a year? Yeah, sounds like another dry system with the only good games being zelda, mario and pokemon. Which are all the same games we've been playing for years. Yawn. ▲

Loco_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Loco_Live
Member since 2010 • 3147 Posts

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]did anyone actually think nintendo would move into smartphones?King_Dodongo
Well with the recent news of the PSPhone, some people wondered what would be Nintendo's move.

▲ People need to keep in mind that the PSPhone has not been confirmed to be real, or confirmed to be the PSP2. ▲

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]did anyone actually think nintendo would move into smartphones?King_Dodongo

sony already has a cellphone brand, so why not. nintendo would jump into a market where they aren't the ones ruling from up above.
King_Dodongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 King_Dodongo

[QUOTE="King_Dodongo"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]did anyone actually think nintendo would move into smartphones?Loco_Live

▲ People need to keep in mind that the PSPhone has not been confirmed to be real, or confirmed to be the PSP2. ▲

We certainly don't know if it's fake too.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BrunoBRS

Nintendo should make some 3rd-party exclusivity deals like MS does. I remember them doing that with Resident Evil on GameCube. Capcom already seems to love the 3DS. Nintendo should cut a deal with them for rights to games like Zack & Wiki and Monster Hunter.

gamecubepad
nintendo's last exclusivity deal with capcom didn't go well... *cough*residentevil4*cough*
bowser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 63

#18 bowser3
Member since 2008 • 446 Posts

▲ All I read was, "Ours is better, because I said so.", Also, Nintendo is the only dev to use their gimmicks innovatively, 3RD party devs never do it right. And how often does nintendo release AAA games for the wii and DS a year? Yeah, sounds like another dry system with the only good games being zelda, mario and pokemon. Which are all the same games we've been playing for years. Yawn. ▲

Loco_Live

The Ds constantly gets AAA, although its been short on them as of right now, except for Shantaes Risky Revenge which is a DSigame. The upcoming lineup for the DS is bound to bring at least 4 overall AAA games and of course a bunch of AA games.

forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 forgot_it
Member since 2004 • 6756 Posts
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] nintendo's last exclusivity deal with capcom didn't go well... *cough*residentevil4*cough*

It wasn't even just RE4, out of 5 exclusive games, 3 wound up on the PS2, 1 was cancelled, and the last, only true exclusive, ended up being not so great.
Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Mystic-G
Member since 2006 • 6462 Posts

Was it really even a question that Nintendo would move to smartphones? Seems quite rhetorical to me.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="forgot_it"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] nintendo's last exclusivity deal with capcom didn't go well... *cough*residentevil4*cough*

It wasn't even just RE4, out of 5 exclusive games, 3 wound up on the PS2, 1 was cancelled, and the last, only true exclusive, ended up being not so great.

but RE4 was the big one, and the one that screams "i lied" the most, due to mikami's whole "if RE4 isn't a gamecube exclusive, you can cut my head off" thing.
OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts

Loco_Live
Name one Pokemon game announced for the 3DS.
Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

[QUOTE="Loco_Live"]

OreoMilkshake

Name one Pokemon game announced for the 3DS.

Dry? lol wut?

If that is true I wonder why the DS is the best selling handheld and has almost sold twice as many units compared to the current gen consoles. And the guy is right, if there is one thing that pushes units for a nintendo handheld, its Pokemon, and I am willing to bet my bed (I love sleeping) that we are going to see at least 3 different pokemon games (paired together, not seperately, such as white and black)within the first 4 years of the 3DS's life.

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Gamingclone

Lol, I dont know about other people, but I have respect for Reggie. Sure he says some things that are cocky/ stupid sometimes, but he is usually right in one way or another.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BrunoBRS

Lol, I dont know about other people, but I have respect for Reggie. Sure he says some things that are cocky/ stupid sometimes, but he is usually right in one way or another.

Gamingclone
absolutely! :P but really, he's the president of NoA. he's not there for teh lulz, he knows what he's talking about.
Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gamingclone

absolutely! :P but really, he's the president of NoA. he's not there for teh lulz, he knows what he's talking about.BrunoBRS

Most definately!

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#27 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
Good, the 3DS dont need no phone!!! But free texting would be nice :) And plus the phone feature is like the only new feature of the PSP2, the 3DS is still on top with analog, 3D, DS BC, and camera
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]

absolutely! :P but really, he's the president of NoA. he's not there for teh lulz, he knows what he's talking about.Gamingclone

Most definately!

lol i think i'm the only one that gets the "absolutely" joke i do... pay attention next time reggie gives an interview. you can't count on your hands the amount of times he says "absolutely" :P
NintendoNite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 NintendoNite
Member since 2010 • 728 Posts
good. nintendo is a gaming company and games are their first priority. nintendo = #1
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
If I want a new phone I'll buy a new phone. I won't be tempted by an expensive hybrid just because it has cool games.
Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Good. I already have a phone.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#32 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
Good on Nintendo's part, why compete with the iPhone when you could have another part of the market cornered where Apple can't even touch?