Reeves: We Need To Cut PS3 Price But We Won't

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

General909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 General909
Member since 2007 • 541 Posts

In a recent interview David Reeves, head of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, disputed Microsoft's claims that Xbox 360 leads Playstation 3 in sales by more than a million units.

"I don't want to talk about the competition too much, but Xbox 360 is not ahead by a million units," he said. "We sold through 500,000 PS3s in November. We sold through 1.1 million units in December. Our installed base now is very close to 8.5 million units in PAL territories. Our numbers show we are absolutely neck-and-neck."

Reeves was then asked if Playstation 3 will remain the most expensive console on the market, and he answered: "I think it will, yes. I'm not saying there are going to be any price cuts at all in the short term or the medium term. I'm not saying we don't need to do it - we are expensive. It is possible that as the cost [of manufacturing] comes down, we will be able to do it."

Reeves wrapped up the interview by taking a jab at Microsoft. "There are people who come in having done their research, thinking, 'PS3 has got all the games, it's free to go online, it's got a Blu-ray player. I know I'm not going to have to ring up the customer care line saying I've got three red lights.

http://www.megagames.com/news/html/console/reevesweneedtocutps3pricebutwewont.shtml

sorry if old

DireOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DireOwl
Member since 2007 • 3352 Posts
This is expected, he is the Playstation President in Europe. The best thing anyone can do when these guys talk is not listen.
one_on_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 208

#3 one_on_one
Member since 2008 • 2368 Posts

"The PS3 will remain the most expensive console on the market"

I do not doubt this. This is the downfall of having the most expensive starting price for a console this gen. Hopefully people will still buy PS3s despite the cheaper alternatives.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#4 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts
Nothing but arrogance dammit.
no_handlebars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 no_handlebars
Member since 2008 • 1774 Posts
Nothing but arrogance dammit. Lionheart08
It's Sony. They do arrogance best. Did you honestly expect anything less from them?
Giant_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Giant_Panda
Member since 2007 • 982 Posts
Companies always claim there won't be price cuts and yet they still cut the price anyway. I'm still crossing my fingers that Sony cuts the price by summer.
IIJuggaNottII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 IIJuggaNottII
Member since 2008 • 1907 Posts

What he should have said was, " We NEED to cut PS3's price..but we WONT because we CANT." Cant expect them to give them away.

Rigga911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Rigga911
Member since 2008 • 2429 Posts
ps3 is doomed, like the 360
WutTimeIsIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 WutTimeIsIt
Member since 2008 • 785 Posts
i think everyone who is asking for a price cut is a 360 owner who really wants a ps3. and sony refuses to go down to the level of 360 fanboys, cuz they know ppl like me, who already have a ps3 dont care about price cuts, cuz we purchased a ps3, and anyone who wants one (cept 360 fanboys) will too. the 360 hardware is just not capable of producing at ps3 levels, and sony knows this, which justifies their price, not to mention that it is actually hardware worth the price.
Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Lionheart08

[QUOTE="Lionheart08"]Nothing but arrogance dammit. no_handlebars
It's Sony. They do arrogance best. Did you honestly expect anything less from them?

Nah, that was sarcasm. Just figured I'd be the first to say it tp get it out of the way. :P

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lionheart08

i think everyone who is asking for a price cut is a 360 owner who really wants a ps3. WutTimeIsIt

I own neither and I want a price cut. Times are tough, and I'd actually like to buy it new, but at the same time $400 is still steep.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts
Welcome to month ago (or so).
NeoGen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 NeoGen85
Member since 2003 • 4270 Posts

i think everyone who is asking for a price cut is a 360 owner who really wants a ps3. and sony refuses to go down to the level of 360 fanboys, cuz they know ppl like me, who already have a ps3 dont care about price cuts, cuz we purchased a ps3, and anyone who wants one (cept 360 fanboys) will too. the 360 hardware is just not capable of producing at ps3 levels, and sony knows this, which justifies their price, not to mention that it is actually hardware worth the price.WutTimeIsIt

I'm going to give you two thumbs up for at least trying(if you are serious). But I do recommend one thing that you do. Skip 4:20. You would be doing us all a big favor, please. :D

Leo-Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Leo-Magic
Member since 2005 • 3025 Posts
who cares if they are not ready for price cut.
themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 themyth01
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts

i think everyone who is asking for a price cut is a 360 owner who really wants a ps3. and sony refuses to go down to the level of 360 fanboys, cuz they know ppl like me, who already have a ps3 dont care about price cuts, cuz we purchased a ps3, and anyone who wants one (cept 360 fanboys) will too. the 360 hardware is just not capable of producing at ps3 levels, and sony knows this, which justifies their price, not to mention that it is actually hardware worth the price.WutTimeIsIt

lol where do you come up with this stuff? 360 owners wanting a ps3? yea right, more like Sony's pathetic sales numbers knocking on their door showing them doom if they keep the same price, but hey if they don't want to step down to that level, then they might just face their demise after all, it's not like they can take many more losses.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts
Nothing but arrogance dammit. Lionheart08
You'd think they would have learned by now but I guess not. Sounds like they think a $20-$50 price cut will be good enough. It wont.
Mr_Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 Mr_Alexander
Member since 2007 • 1686 Posts
Yeah may be the most expensive console but it's also by far the most expensive to make, I heard they're losing 150$ or something per console sold, they really can't go much lower
PS3_3DO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PS3_3DO
Member since 2006 • 10976 Posts

Reeves wrapped up the interview by taking a jab at Microsoft. "There are people who come in having done their research, thinking, 'PS3 has got all the games, it's free to go online, it's got a Blu-ray player. I know I'm not going to have to ring up the customer care line saying I've got three red lights.

Yeah you are going to ring up customer care line saying I've got the Yellow Light! :lol:

Avatar image for Synthetic_NinJI
Synthetic_NinJI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Synthetic_NinJI
Member since 2006 • 2809 Posts
Wow, really Reeves :| I'm not even going to go into detail with this. Arrogance is why they are getting their *** handed to them this generation and as a person who has brought several PS products I haven to say they deserve it. Hope they get wiped out.
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18837 Posts

I think he's saying that to advoid people waiting for the rumored price drop.

Also a price drop could mean more 3rd party exclusives.

General909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 General909
Member since 2007 • 541 Posts

who cares if they are not ready for price cut.Leo-Magic

People that don't have the money for one but want one.

NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 NinjaMunkey01
Member since 2007 • 7485 Posts

Its all down to how mcuh you want to pay for a console.

Persoanlly i tyhink the money i spent on my ps3 was worth it, no problems so far, great graphics and great exclusives.

NickD33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 NickD33
Member since 2009 • 39 Posts

People want PS3 to fail because they can't afford one, cry moar. It's not Sony's fault you cant pay for one. Nice things cost money deal with it,

zatorys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#24 zatorys
Member since 2007 • 638 Posts
i dont care if they r selling or not just take ur game and rock ur world that it
NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NinjaMunkey01

People want PS3 to fail because they can't afford one, cry moar. It's not Sony's fault you cant pay for one. Nice things cost money deal with it,

NickD33
exactly. Its the same with everything, TV's, all electronics. People dont cry when there is a TV out of their price range, or a car, so why do it with consoles?
Tekkenloving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Tekkenloving
Member since 2008 • 1546 Posts
it's just p.r talk they all do it.
AdmiralBison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AdmiralBison
Member since 2008 • 3970 Posts

NickD33

You are absolutley right!!Nice things do cost money and Lemmings have spent to much money on games for the Xbox360-as evident with its game attach ratio!!

Avatar image for guitarsrock4eva
guitarsrock4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 guitarsrock4eva
Member since 2008 • 373 Posts
I wouldn't belive what they say. they arn't going to come out and say "we are cutting the price in (insert month)". because if they say that people will wait until they cut the price to get one. I think they will do a price cut but no one will know when apart from Sony. and they will do it suddenly without anyone getting hints of when it is. my bet is for it to be around March/April/May. this is because b then they will know if KZ2 has done them any favours with sales and if sales start to drop they will cut the price
speedsix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 speedsix
Member since 2003 • 1076 Posts
[QUOTE="NickD33"]

NinjaMunkey01

exactly. Its the same with everything, TV's, all electronics. People dont cry when there is a TV out of their price range, or a car, so why do it with consoles?

Hang on, isn't the Xbox more expensive in the long run??

PS3 owners are poor, they can only afford the free PSN.

Gh0st_Of_0nyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Gh0st_Of_0nyx
Member since 2007 • 8992 Posts
:lol:the line at the end was priceless
NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 NinjaMunkey01
[QUOTE="speedsix"][QUOTE="NinjaMunkey01"][QUOTE="NickD33"]

Hang on, isn't the Xbox more expensive in the long run??

PS3 owners are poor, they can only afford the free PSN.

In a way yes. Though thats not how MS market it, the normal buyer looks at the start price and will pick the 360 as its cheapest, only to thn find out about paying for oneline. So it tricks people ito thinking theiyre saving money. In another way... No. the ps3 to start with is more xpensive, some may not want lve, or the extras on the 360. Also ps3 games take much longer to come down in price.
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

In a recent interview David Reeves, head of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, disputed Microsoft's claims that Xbox 360 leads Playstation 3 in sales by more than a million units.

"I don't want to talk about the competition too much, but Xbox 360 is not ahead by a million units," he said. "We sold through 500,000 PS3s in November. We sold through 1.1 million units in December. Our installed base now is very close to 8.5 million units in PAL territories. Our numbers show we are absolutely neck-and-neck."

Reeves was then asked if Playstation 3 will remain the most expensive console on the market, and he answered: "I think it will, yes. I'm not saying there are going to be any price cuts at all in the short term or the medium term. I'm not saying we don't need to do it - we are expensive. It is possible that as the cost [of manufacturing] comes down, we will be able to do it."

http://www.megagames.com/news/html/console/reevesweneedtocutps3pricebutwewont.shtml

sorry if old

General909
this whole statement reeks of damage control.
dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dsmccracken
Member since 2003 • 7307 Posts
[QUOTE="NinjaMunkey01"][QUOTE="NickD33"]

Difference being that expensive cars usually bring higher performance than the cheaper ones.
NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 NinjaMunkey01
[QUOTE="NinjaMunkey01"][QUOTE="NickD33"]

dsmccracken

Difference being that expensive cars usually bring higher performance than the cheaper ones.

And the ps3 is more powerful than the 360 :)
dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dsmccracken
[QUOTE="dsmccracken"][QUOTE="NinjaMunkey01"] exactly. Its the same with everything, TV's, all electronics. People dont cry when there is a TV out of their price range, or a car, so why do it with consoles?NinjaMunkey01

Yet on a game by game basis, it doesn't show it.
NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 NinjaMunkey01
[QUOTE="NinjaMunkey01"][QUOTE="dsmccracken"] Difference being that expensive cars usually bring higher performance than the cheaper ones.dsmccracken

It does actually... Cough *killzone 2 = best looking game so far this generation* cough...
dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dsmccracken

[QUOTE="dsmccracken"][QUOTE="NinjaMunkey01"] And the ps3 is more powerful than the 360 :)NinjaMunkey01

It does actually... Cough *killzone 2 = best looking game so far this generation* cough...

Hmmm... was the phrase "game by game" too complex? Game by game is the total picture, not one single entry.

Anyway, you can cough up KZ2 hairballs all you want, but if you bought a car that was way more expensive and it only outperformed a k-car one day a year, you'd be burning the dealership to the ground. Never mind the fact that KZ2 is only the latest jump in the graphics leapfrogging that the 2 systems have been doing for over a year, not a quantum leap forward.

NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 NinjaMunkey01
[QUOTE="NinjaMunkey01"][QUOTE="dsmccracken"] Yet on a game by game basis, it doesn't show it.dsmccracken

Hmmm... was the phrase "game by game" too complex? You can cough up KZ2 hairballs all you want, but if you bought a car that was way more expensive and it only outperformed a k-car one day a year, you'd be burning the dealership to the ground. Never mind the fact that KZ2 is only the latest jump in the graphics leapfrogging that the 2 systems have been doing for over a year, not a quantum leap forward.

Ok you take the car thing a little to seriously... Killzone 2 beats every other game out, so the console its on (ps30 right now is graphics king. Coupled with the fact we already know better looking games are coming out for the ps3, and the fact that theres no game for the 360 coming out to look better than gears 2, plus the fact the 360 has been out for a year longer, plus the fact that the 360 ois easier to develop for, you see what I'm getting at here? The ps3 is more powerful, by how mcuh? Who knows, but it is, thats it.
dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 dsmccracken
[QUOTE="dsmccracken"][QUOTE="NinjaMunkey01"] And the ps3 is more powerful than the 360 :)NinjaMunkey01

And one more thing (while we're coughing up stuff) ...cough*that title belongs to Crysis*cough...
NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 NinjaMunkey01
[QUOTE="NinjaMunkey01"][QUOTE="dsmccracken"] And the ps3 is more powerful than the 360 :)savetehhaloz

OWNED!

Owned? Selfowned, youve messed up the quotes :|
savetehhaloz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#43 savetehhaloz
Member since 2007 • 2373 Posts
[QUOTE="dsmccracken"][QUOTE="NinjaMunkey01"] It does actually... Cough *killzone 2 = best looking game so far this generation* cough...NinjaMunkey01
Hmmm... was the phrase "game by game" too complex? You can cough up KZ2 hairballs all you want, but if you bought a car that was way more expensive and it only outperformed a k-car one day a year, you'd be burning the dealership to the ground. Never mind the fact that KZ2 is only the latest jump in the graphics leapfrogging that the 2 systems have been doing for over a year, not a quantum leap forward.

Ok you take the car thing a little to seriously... Killzone 2 beats every other game out, so the console its on (ps30 right now is graphics king. Coupled with the fact we already know better looking games are coming out for the ps3, and the fact that theres no game for the 360 coming out to look better than gears 2, plus the fact the 360 has been out for a year longer, plus the fact that the 360 ois easier to develop for, you see what I'm getting at here? The ps3 is more powerful, by how mcuh? Who knows, but it is, thats it.

The PS3 needs game since it has received very little compared to the Xbox 360. The PS3 graphics are the same and sometimes even worse then the ones on the Xbox. Even if the PS3 hardware was more powerful, whats the point if its taking developers more then 2 years to push out games for it? By the time Sony finally catches up, we'll be playing on the Xbox 720. "The Next Generation doesn't begin til we say so". A pity, considering Sony has been left behind.
dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 dsmccracken
[QUOTE="dsmccracken"][QUOTE="NinjaMunkey01"] It does actually... Cough *killzone 2 = best looking game so far this generation* cough...NinjaMunkey01

It seems like cows look at KZ2 (which IS gorgeous, BTW) and think that it somehow rubs off on the rest of their library. Sorry, but unless your library consists of nothing but 12 copies of KZ2, a game by game comparison shows little to NO DIFFERENCE in capabilities (and in some cases, the PS3 gets INFERIOR versions of multiplats), and you pay more for the privelege. So whatever unrealised potential you may be hanging onto, know THIS: a PS3 owner is getting a general gaming experience that is roughly on par with their 360 owning counterpart. That in no way shape or form can be spun to defend the higher price tag just because a single game comes out that tickles your fancy, anymore than the temporary graphical superiority of GeoW allowed 360 owners to declare victory.
McdonaIdsGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 McdonaIdsGuy
Member since 2008 • 3046 Posts
[QUOTE="dsmccracken"][QUOTE="NinjaMunkey01"] exactly. Its the same with everything, TV's, all electronics. People dont cry when there is a TV out of their price range, or a car, so why do it with consoles?NinjaMunkey01

In your opinion and fanboys world it is,real world begs to differ.
NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 NinjaMunkey01
[QUOTE="NinjaMunkey01"][QUOTE="dsmccracken"] Hmmm... was the phrase "game by game" too complex? You can cough up KZ2 hairballs all you want, but if you bought a car that was way more expensive and it only outperformed a k-car one day a year, you'd be burning the dealership to the ground. Never mind the fact that KZ2 is only the latest jump in the graphics leapfrogging that the 2 systems have been doing for over a year, not a quantum leap forward.savetehhaloz

The PS3 needs game since it has received very little compared to the Xbox 360. The PS3 graphics are the same and sometimes even worse then the ones on the Xbox. Even if the PS3 hardware was more powerful, whats the point if its taking developers more then 2 years to push out games for it? By the time Sony finally catches up, we'll be playing on the Xbox 720. "The Next Generation doesn't begin til we say so". A pity, considering Sony has been left behind.

Owning both consoles I can say that nearly every multiplat looks exactly the same on both coneoles, and then there are some where each version has its pros and cons. I dont get what you mean by "thre ps3 recieved very little." It had a much better exclusive lineup last year. And this year starts with Killzone 2 and the UK release of SOCOM. next gen wot be starting for a long time... And if the 720 does come out soon, and its better than the ps3, then I will get it.
dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 dsmccracken
And one more thing (while we're coughing up stuff) ...cough*that title belongs to Crysis*cough...

Ok I forgot to add, on consoles, very clever, would you like a cookie? :roll:

Clever? I didn't realize that making a valid point was eyeroll-worthy, or called for baked goods.
McdonaIdsGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 McdonaIdsGuy
Member since 2008 • 3046 Posts

OPINION and Opinion,no fact!
NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 NinjaMunkey01
[QUOTE="NinjaMunkey01"][QUOTE="dsmccracken"] Difference being that expensive cars usually bring higher performance than the cheaper ones.McdonaIdsGuy

In your opinion and fanboys world it is,real world begs to differ.

??? How does that in any way counter what I said at all. how do you know the "real world" begs to differ? Have any evidence?
dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 dsmccracken
[QUOTE="savetehhaloz"][QUOTE="NinjaMunkey01"] Ok you take the car thing a little to seriously... Killzone 2 beats every other game out, so the console its on (ps30 right now is graphics king. Coupled with the fact we already know better looking games are coming out for the ps3, and the fact that theres no game for the 360 coming out to look better than gears 2, plus the fact the 360 has been out for a year longer, plus the fact that the 360 ois easier to develop for, you see what I'm getting at here? The ps3 is more powerful, by how mcuh? Who knows, but it is, thats it.NinjaMunkey01

Owning both consoles I can say that nearly every multiplat looks exactly the same on both coneoles, and then there are some where each version has its pros and cons. I dont get what you mean by "thre ps3 recieved very little." It had a much better exclusive lineup last year. And this year starts with Killzone 2 and the UK release of SOCOM. next gen wot be starting for a long time... And if the 720 does come out soon, and its better than the ps3, then I will get it.

Most multiplats do look the same, but that undermines the whole "more expensive because of better performance" angle. As for the "much better" exclusive lineup, that's a little "eye of the beholder" if you ask me. As an RPG fan, I was pretty content with what the 360 put out, plus the superior console version of Fallout.