RE5 "Gears" Control Scheme Revealed!

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

In the newest issue of GamesTM Magazine they have a huge cover story on RE5 and they describe the Capcom nicknamed "Gears" controls (actually called D-type controls in the game). They say you can move and strafe with the left stick and aim with the right much like any FPS. LT will ready the weapon and RT will fire. While firing you CANNOT move, they said they needed to preserve that feeling of vulnerability that is essential to this game.

That sounds awesome. It is optional though.

Avatar image for RurouniSaiyajin
RurouniSaiyajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 RurouniSaiyajin
Member since 2007 • 4951 Posts
Sounds good. Can't wait to see it in action next week
ReaperV7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ReaperV7
Member since 2008 • 6756 Posts
thats it...im getting plane tickets to japan....going to capcom studios....and slapping the creator in the face.
Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Mordred19
Member since 2007 • 8259 Posts
that's what I expected, a simple button reassignment, not adding new abilities, like so many people assumed.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

thats it...im getting plane tickets to japan....going to capcom studios....and slapping the creator in the face. ReaperV7
Why? You still can't shoot and walk at the same time. :?

I don't see the problem.

Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts

thats it...im getting plane tickets to japan....going to capcom studios....and slapping the creator in the face. ReaperV7

AMEN...

I dont like the sound of Gears of Evil, Resident Gears or Evil Gears! Capcom are attempting to much to copy everyone else while the system on RE4 worked fine and just need minor adjustments in game mechanics.

redCloudJ7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 redCloudJ7
Member since 2007 • 1004 Posts

While firing you CANNOT move, they said they needed to preserve that feeling of vulnerability that is essential to this game.Aljosa23

That's kinda dumb. I mean why can't they improve the AI to perserve the tension. If you have quality AI that tension and feeling of vulnerability would still be perserved.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"] While firing you CANNOT move, they said they needed to preserve that feeling of vulnerability that is essential to this game.redCloudJ7

That's kinda dumb. I mean why can't they improve the AI to perserve the tension. If you have quality AI that tension and feeling of vulnerability would still be perserved.

You try firing a shotgun and walking in real-life. The recoil would send you flying backwards.
web966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 web966
Member since 2005 • 11654 Posts
Thank god you still cant move while firing.
redCloudJ7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 redCloudJ7
[QUOTE="redCloudJ7"]

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"] While firing you CANNOT move, they said they needed to preserve that feeling of vulnerability that is essential to this game.Aljosa23

You try firing a shotgun and walking in real-life. The recoil would send you flying backwards.

Why couldn't I just use a pistol? Or a sub machine gun? Why would I have to use a shotgun?

Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Mordred19
Member since 2007 • 8259 Posts
[QUOTE="redCloudJ7"]

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"] While firing you CANNOT move, they said they needed to preserve that feeling of vulnerability that is essential to this game.Aljosa23

You try firing a shotgun and walking in real-life. The recoil would send you flying backwards.[/QUOTE]

It actually would not. It's capcom's decision to restrict the player, and while it's not completely realistc, it's not the end of the world.

WillieBeamish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 WillieBeamish
Member since 2008 • 1289 Posts
[QUOTE="redCloudJ7"]

a shotgun will NOT make you go flying backwards. You watch too many movies.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
[QUOTE="Aljosa23"][QUOTE="redCloudJ7"]

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"] While firing you CANNOT move, they said they needed to preserve that feeling of vulnerability that is essential to this game.redCloudJ7

Why couldn't I just use a pistol? Or a sub machine gun? Why would I have to use a shotgun?

Either way, you try walking and shooting a firearm, Your accuracy would be very low.
kage_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 kage_53
Member since 2006 • 12671 Posts
[QUOTE="redCloudJ7"][QUOTE="Aljosa23"][QUOTE="redCloudJ7"]

Either way, you try walking and shooting a firearm, Your accuracy would be very low.

Its a game not reality....
ReaperV7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ReaperV7
Member since 2008 • 6756 Posts

[QUOTE="ReaperV7"]thats it...im getting plane tickets to japan....going to capcom studios....and slapping the creator in the face. Aljosa23

I don't see the problem.

*sigh*

Actually ive been wanting to slap the developers for a long time for RE4.....Resident evil Code veronica and resident evil 2 were my all time favorite resident evils.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29826 Posts

well, while videogames are in no way, shape, or form realistic, it is almost impossible in real life to move and shoot at the same time with any accuracy whatsoever. just saying. ;)

mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
Capcom better not be looking at anyone with a straight face and call it a survival-horror game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Its a game not reality....kage_53
Thanks for the observation.
redCloudJ7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 redCloudJ7

Either way, you try walking and shooting a firearm, Your accuracy would be very low.Aljosa23

The persons accuracy would be lower while moving. However whether or not their shoots would be effective depends on the persons level of skill.

Besides its kinda ridiculous to just sit there and aim when you have five or more people surrounding you, trying to kill you.

Heydanbud92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 Heydanbud92
Member since 2007 • 4464 Posts
this is a huige relief to me..
mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mo0ksi

[QUOTE="mo0ksi"]Capcom better not be looking at anyone with a straight face and call it a survival-horror game.Eyezonmii

why not?

you still can't move and shoot, they kept that tention, capcom recently stated, the game gets damn freaky. how does adding extra NEEDED moves, change that? RE4 already did it, just not as part of the overall controls.

you do know what survival horror means, right? RE5 is just that, your surviving the horror.

You must get scared real easily then because RE4 wasn't the least bit scary.

You can't move and shoot, but with the weaponry you get it really doesn't matter. The fact of the matter is that RE5 is gonna be a whole lot more action and very little survival horror.

And I know what it means, I played them before and RE isn't one of them anymore.

mephisto_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mephisto_11
Member since 2008 • 1880 Posts

anything gears influenced can only make a game better.

gears has really fun and deep controls.

Heydanbud92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Heydanbud92
Member since 2007 • 4464 Posts
[QUOTE="Eyezonmii"]

[QUOTE="mo0ksi"]Capcom better not be looking at anyone with a straight face and call it a survival-horror game.mo0ksi

why not?

you still can't move and shoot, they kept that tention, capcom recently stated, the game gets damn freaky. how does adding extra NEEDED moves, change that? RE4 already did it, just not as part of the overall controls.

you do know what survival horror means, right? RE5 is just that, your surviving the horror.

You can't move and shoot, but with the weaponry you get it really doesn't matter. The fact of the matter is that RE5 is gonna be a whole lot more action and very little survival horror.

And I know what it means, I played them before and RE isn't one of them anymore.

horror is in the eyes of the beholder, buddy.

i've seen plenty of horror movies and my blood was pumping when i played re4.

Dahaka-UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Dahaka-UK
Member since 2005 • 6915 Posts
Great. Lets have all games of all genres turn into generic first person/third person shooters. It will be brilliant. 1 genre FTW.
karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 karasill
Member since 2007 • 3155 Posts
[QUOTE="Eyezonmii"]

[QUOTE="mo0ksi"]Capcom better not be looking at anyone with a straight face and call it a survival-horror game.mo0ksi

why not?

Very true. My little sister (who's eighteen) will play through Resident Evil 4, but won't touch Resident Evil 0 or the remake because she says those games are just too scary. Resident Evil 4 has it's creepy momnets, but I wouldn't call it a true survival horror game. It's just plain and simple not as scary as the past Resident Evil games.
Eyezonmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Eyezonmii
Member since 2008 • 2145 Posts
[QUOTE="Eyezonmii"]

why not?

Err, RE was never scary to begin with. Why does one expect it to be now? RE isn't Silent Hill.

you obviously don't know what survival horror means, RE is still that, just with added controls and moves. WHOOPY. as if a person in real life would not do ANYTHING they could to survive. lol

Since the original, RE was about a special forces group, investingating strange reports in a mansion. this time Chris is with a new group the BSAA, doing the same thing, but going to the root of the problem (virus)

if you think RE was ever scary, that hilarious. the survival horror elements are ALL there, you survive a HORROR setting with infected beings, creatures..etc. just like the original.

Avatar image for RurouniSaiyajin
RurouniSaiyajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 RurouniSaiyajin
Member since 2007 • 4951 Posts
[QUOTE="Eyezonmii"]

why not?

I honestly didn't notice any real difference in the level of horror between the first three REs and RE4. Hence, why I usually just brush arguments like these off as people getting naturally desensitized to horror over time because of society

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9556 Posts

Yeah, if you can afford them, get me some too. I'm coming with.

karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 karasill
Member since 2007 • 3155 Posts

[QUOTE="mo0ksi"][QUOTE="Eyezonmii"]

[QUOTE="mo0ksi"]Capcom better not be looking at anyone with a straight face and call it a survival-horror game.RurouniSaiyajin

why not?

I honestly didn't notice any real difference in the level of horror between the first three REs and RE4. Hence, why I usually just brush arguments like these off as people getting naturally desensitized to horror over time because of society

No, I don't agree to that at all. Resident Evil 0-1 (gamecube versions) were genuinely scarier games, even to this day playing those two games still creeps me out due to presentation and atmosphere of those games. Resident Evil 4 not so much.

Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts
[QUOTE="Dibdibdobdobo"]

[QUOTE="ReaperV7"]thats it...im getting plane tickets to japan....going to capcom studios....and slapping the creator in the face. Eyezonmii

AMEN...

I dont like the sound of Gears of Evil, Resident Gears or Evil Gears! Capcom are attempting to much to copy everyone else while the system on RE4 worked fine and just need minor adjustments in game mechanics.

you do know barely much has changed, right? they are barely copying, just resigning the controls with added abilitiy to dogde. You do know in RE4 leon could dogde in a similar fashion right? but just when told to by pressing A (grenades, bosses, etc) this time its added in as a main part. beside most shooters now use the left to ready the weapon and the right T to fire, it feels natural.

you still can't move and shoot, so it'll be just like RE4.

Leon could also take cover in certain parts of the game, to dodge grenades.

People really need to go back at play RE4.

IMO, Capcom can borrow ideas all they want, since MANY MANY did from them when they made RE4. GEARS was a prime example. be fair.

Resigning the controls? They are copying! Which ever way you wanna put it they are cloning another game instead of implimenting their own ideas which is just laziness on Capcoms behalf. The Dodge feature was like a Mini-Game and barely anything more and adding it as a key feature just equals laziness.

The only thing which Capcom are doing right which they was going to change was making you have to stop and shoot.

redCloudJ7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 redCloudJ7

It's capcom's decision to restrict the player, and while it's not completely realistc, it's not the end of the world.Mordred19

Yeah its not the end of the world. But the control scheme would probably be more intuitive. And be a lot less stiff.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9556 Posts

mephisto_11

Do you mean that anything Gears influenced (especially if the game almost resembles Gears) is making every single game the same these days?

mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mo0ksi
[QUOTE="mo0ksi"][QUOTE="Eyezonmii"]

[QUOTE="mo0ksi"]Capcom better not be looking at anyone with a straight face and call it a survival-horror game.Eyezonmii

why not?

Err, RE was never scary to begin with. Why does one expect it to be now? RE isn't Silent Hill.

you obviously don't know what survival horror means, RE is still that, just with added controls and moves. WHOOPY. as if a person in real life would not do ANYTHING they could to survive. lol

Since the original, RE was about a special forces group, investingating strange reports in a mansion. this time Chris is with a new group the BSAA, doing the same thing, but going to the root of the problem (virus)

if you think RE was ever scary, that hilarious. the survival horror elements are ALL there, you survive a HORROR setting with infected beings, creatures..etc. just like the original.

From the original to Nemesis they carried a lot more horror elements than RE4. I might as well include Code Veronica and the GC versions.

I don't think RE was scary, but the creepy atmosphere was much more present than in RE4.

RE4 to be honest, carried a remarkably weak atmosphere compared to the previous ones. I'm trying not to talk down on the game because I enjoyed it myself, but scary and/or atmospheric it definately isn't.

Hell for me the feeling of survival wasn't even present because of all the herbs and ammo thrown at you.

The Gears style, while I don't mind it, is just showing that RE5 isn't going to be much of survival horror game. It lacksboth the feeling of survival and horror.

Also with what I bolded, what the helldoes that have to do with anything. Was I talking about the story? Nope. RE1 could've been about Chris trying to find a cure for male pattern baldness, but at least a creepy atmosphere was set.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29826 Posts

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]Either way, you try walking and shooting a firearm, Your accuracy would be very low.redCloudJ7

The persons accuracy would be lower while moving. However whether or not their shoots would be effective depends on the persons level of skill.

Besides its kinda ridiculous to just sit there and aim when you have five or more people surrounding you, trying to kill you.

that would actually be a really cool mechanic. maybe if you're running and shooting, the reticule would be harder to orient. good idea!

mephisto_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mephisto_11
Member since 2008 • 1880 Posts
[QUOTE="mephisto_11"]

X_CAPCOM_X

Do you mean that anything Gears influenced (especially if the game almost resembles Gears) is making every single game the same these days?

games borrow off each other all the time even mgs4 borrowed from gears.

doesn't always mean there as good

Eyezonmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Eyezonmii
[QUOTE="Eyezonmii"][QUOTE="Dibdibdobdobo"]

[QUOTE="ReaperV7"]thats it...im getting plane tickets to japan....going to capcom studios....and slapping the creator in the face. Dibdibdobdobo

AMEN...

you do know barely much has changed, right? they are barely copying, just resigning the controls with added abilitiy to dogde. You do know in RE4 leon could dogde in a similar fashion right? but just when told to by pressing A (grenades, bosses, etc) this time its added in as a main part. beside most shooters now use the left to ready the weapon and the right T to fire, it feels natural.

you still can't move and shoot, so it'll be just like RE4.

Leon could also take cover in certain parts of the game, to dodge grenades.

People really need to go back at play RE4.

IMO, Capcom can borrow ideas all they want, since MANY MANY did from them when they made RE4. GEARS was a prime example. be fair.

Resigning the controls? They are copying! Which ever way you wanna put it they are cloning another game instead of implimenting their own ideas which is just laziness on Capcoms behalf. The Dodge feature was like a Mini-Game and barely anything more and adding it as a key feature just equals laziness.

The only thing which Capcom are doing right which they was going to change was making you have to stop and shoot.

i didn't say they DIDN'T...but so what? they know what they are doing. Epic copied RE4, now Capcom can do it with gears, its only controls and since gears does it so well, so what? you still stop and shoot, and do the basic stuff, with more moves, hows that bad, again?

again, RE4 did most of the stuff in button pression form (when told) now its the actual gameplay mechanic, you haven't seen yet how it works, but already claiming its stupid?

and What laziness, what else could capcom do? lol

i'll admit RE4 controls are dated now, get chased by a dude and having to turn around to shoot is stilly now, a dodge feature is much more apporopriate for the sitauation. the game needs to progress, not go backwards. there is still new UNIQUE stuff to RE5 yet to be seen, reserve judgement atleast. (this goe's for the other posters)

elbow2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40 elbow2k
Member since 2007 • 1645 Posts

That's good enough.

As long as you can strafe while in the shooting position then it's all good.

Did they talk about a cover system perhaps? Like that IGN article spoke of?

Eyezonmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Eyezonmii
[QUOTE="X_CAPCOM_X"][QUOTE="mephisto_11"]

mephisto_11

if it wasn't for RE4 there would be NO gears (atleast not in its current form). Gears populized it with the cover system. but i agree, everyone copies, aslong as it works. only so much can be done. Devs need to make money, not take risks with something that could flop.

Eyezonmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Eyezonmii

That's good enough.

As long as you can strafe while in the shooting position then it's all good.

Did they talk about a cover system perhaps? Like that IGN article spoke of?

elbow2k

Nope. I don't think it will be anything major, maybe minor stuff done in certain situations like RE4.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

[QUOTE="ReaperV7"]thats it...im getting plane tickets to japan....going to capcom studios....and slapping the creator in the face. Aljosa23

I don't see the problem.

yeah i know and its option

if you were able to shoot whilst running though, then yeah i would do the same as he would/ is

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 VendettaRed07
[QUOTE="mephisto_11"][QUOTE="X_CAPCOM_X"][QUOTE="mephisto_11"]

Eyezonmii

if it wasn't for RE4 there would be NO gears (atleast not in its current form). Gears populized it with the cover system. but i agree, everyone copies, aslong as it works. only so much can be done. Devs need to make money, not take risks with something that could flop.

yeah gears was actually going to be an fps, until re4 came out and they figured that would be a much better direction to go in

Eyezonmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Eyezonmii
[QUOTE="Eyezonmii"][QUOTE="mephisto_11"][QUOTE="X_CAPCOM_X"][QUOTE="mephisto_11"]

VendettaRed07

yeah gears was actually going to be an fps, until re4 came out and they figured that would be a much better direction to go in

really? WOW had no idea.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 VendettaRed07
[QUOTE="VendettaRed07"][QUOTE="Eyezonmii"][QUOTE="mephisto_11"][QUOTE="X_CAPCOM_X"][QUOTE="mephisto_11"]

Eyezonmii

really? WOW had no idea.

:/ sarcasm?

i was just saying..

Eyezonmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Eyezonmii
[QUOTE="Eyezonmii"][QUOTE="VendettaRed07"][QUOTE="Eyezonmii"][QUOTE="mephisto_11"][QUOTE="X_CAPCOM_X"][QUOTE="mephisto_11"]

VendettaRed07

really? WOW had no idea.

:/ sarcasm?

i was just saying..

so was mine....obvious wasn't it. lol

TheWiikestLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 TheWiikestLink
Member since 2006 • 1730 Posts
[QUOTE="redCloudJ7"]

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"] While firing you CANNOT move, they said they needed to preserve that feeling of vulnerability that is essential to this game.clone01

well, while videogames are in no way, shape, or form realistic, it is almost impossible in real life to move and shoot at the same time with any accuracy whatsoever. just saying. ;)

eh,my first thought on this post was..."wow really" but then i realized most kids here are just that...kids...so i wont be harsh considering this poster like many other posting here have never shot a gun in there life.

found a few short YouTube videos to show you how accuracy on the move is actually learnable and realistic.

Watch the very end of this video, you see how far he is? - 1st video

This one is cool too - 2nd video

Think of this......if there was a olympic sport involving running and gunning trust me...there would be people doing amazing things. Running and gunning is learnable and realistic.

white_sox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#49 white_sox
Member since 2006 • 17442 Posts
I like the idea of not being able to move while shooting. It makes the game harder and can add to the scare factor.
Cedmln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#50 Cedmln
Member since 2006 • 8802 Posts
Because actually having the character be weak is what makes things scary. No matter how powerful the enemies are.