Rant Topic: GT5's mediocre visuals

This topic is locked from further discussion.

windsquid9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 windsquid9000
Member since 2009 • 3206 Posts

I played the GT5 demo today and realized once again that I should take consolite's words with a grain of salt. Every time I get my expectations up, they come crashing down when I actually see the game with my own eyes. That's not to say that all console games are ugly, but that they don't look as good as people let on.

Previously, I had made a comment that F1 2010 would have better visuals and words cannot describe how right I was. I'll break up this rant into each element of the game's visuals:

Car Detail:

There's a lot of polygons, so the cars look extremely smooth, but the shaders are lacking so things can get a little rough when you look at them closely. Vehicle reflections are very poor- at a distance (chase cam), they look decent, but when I switched to the hood view, I thought my eyes would hemorrhage. The reflections are extremely low-res and a little choppy. You can barely make out anything up close. The interiors, on the other hand were very nice with good textures and plenty of detail. Damage modelling, while present was kinda weak. It seemed that awkward deformation and subtle scratches was all that there was to GT5's visual damage.

Track detail:

As I expected, it was pretty bad. The track textures were decent- The cobblestone roads of Rome were pretty nice, though asphalt wasn't much to look at. The guard rails were horrible- They were solid gray, flat and blocky with the grooves painted on. I there was any normal mapping, I couldn't see it. The trees were an eyesore as well. Considering the game doesn't have an arcady sense of speed and junkloads of motion blur, they were very noticeable and very ugly. They were flat, washed out, lacking in detail, and pretty rough around the edges. Buildings featured low-res texture, few polygons, little to no normal mapping, and extremely blurry, low-res (probably cube mapped) reflections on the windows. Hills beyond the guardrails had undefined textures as well.

Anti-aliasing:

While you could tell it was present there were still a good deal of jaggies that took away from the visuals.

Lighting/Post-processing:

This is the star of the show. It's because of this that the game still manages to be pretty. The use of motion blur and depth of field also do wonders for the game's visual styling and great camera work. Aside from the lighting being a little lacking in its sense of depth, I have no complaints here.

Overall, I have to say that I was right when I claimed that GRID, DiRT 2, and F1 2010 would have better visuals than GT5 considering they have great-looking tracks and still have nice cars. And while this rant was mainly negative, I'm not saying that GT5 is ugly; Just that it's not the best looking game ever. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts
Just to get this cleared out, by demo do you mean prologue, or do you mean you actually played the final product somewhere?
mystervj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mystervj
Member since 2010 • 2213 Posts
Interesting story, you know Gamespot played GT5 during E3 and totally thought it was the best looking game on the show floor.
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

If you are referring to the time trial thing, that isn't an accurate representation of the visuals...

ArtisTool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ArtisTool
Member since 2010 • 509 Posts

What demo? Incomming fail I sense. And Gamespot gave GT5 best looking console game for a reason. It's one of the best looking console games...

Vader993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Vader993
Member since 2010 • 7533 Posts

whats the number for the sony defense force

windsquid9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 windsquid9000
Just to get this cleared out, by demo do you mean prologue, or do you mean you actually played the final product somewhere? 110million
No, it was a demo of the final build. It had a few of the new tracks announced at E3, damage modeling, better visuals than the time trial demo, and fair selection of cars.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
A lot of those complaints - if true - are to be expected from this generations consoles games running at 60fps. Though GT5 is ALMOST 1080p if I recall correctly, and 60fps, whilst looking great for the most part. Give it some credit.
windsquid9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 windsquid9000

What demo? Incomming fail I sense. And Gamespot gave GT5 best looking console game for a reason. It's one of the best looking console games...

ArtisTool

I never said it wasn't. I agree that it is a pretty game, but it has many flaws with the visuals that other games don't have (at least not to the same extent).

*notices topic title* Okay, so maybe I did, but I was referring to the quality of what was there, not the visuals overall.

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

As long as it looks better than Forza 3... thats all that maters

specialzed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 specialzed
Member since 2007 • 682 Posts

GTSaiyanjin2
QFT, and the only game that comes close to the visuals of GT5 is SC4 (ps3 version)
windsquid9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 windsquid9000

A lot of those complaints - if true - are to be expected from this generations consoles games running at 60fps. Though GT5 is ALMOST 1080p if I recall correctly, and 60fps, whilst looking great for the most part. Give it some credit.SaltyMeatballs
1280x1080, 2x(MS?)AA @ 60FPS. With these visuals, it is pretty impressive, but it's less than what I expected.

drspudz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 drspudz
Member since 2010 • 322 Posts
[QUOTE="GTSaiyanjin2"]

J-WOW
/thread

What is that gonna get you? Forza 3 isn't even the best looking racer on the 360.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I'm still waiting for the final product to be released.(GT5)

crimsonsabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 crimsonsabre
Member since 2006 • 746 Posts

[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]A lot of those complaints - if true - are to be expected from this generations consoles games running at 60fps. Though GT5 is ALMOST 1080p if I recall correctly, and 60fps, whilst looking great for the most part. Give it some credit.windsquid9000

1280x1080, 2x(MS?)AA @ 60FPS. With these visuals, it is pretty impressive, but it's less than what I expected.

then you expect too much.

btw what demo are you talking about?

windsquid9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 windsquid9000
[QUOTE="J-WOW"][QUOTE="GTSaiyanjin2"]

drspudz
/thread

What is that gonna get you? Forza 3 isn't even the best looking racer on the 360.

I'd have to say Codemasters' racers and maybe NFS: Shift beat it.
windsquid9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 windsquid9000

[QUOTE="windsquid9000"]

[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]A lot of those complaints - if true - are to be expected from this generations consoles games running at 60fps. Though GT5 is ALMOST 1080p if I recall correctly, and 60fps, whilst looking great for the most part. Give it some credit.crimsonsabre

then you expect too much.

btw what demo are you talking about?

Looked like the E3 demo and I was expecting something closer to the "game play" videos.

drspudz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 drspudz
[QUOTE="windsquid9000"][QUOTE="drspudz"][QUOTE="J-WOW"] /thread

I'd say PGR4 beats it.
windsquid9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 windsquid9000
[QUOTE="drspudz"][QUOTE="windsquid9000"][QUOTE="drspudz"] What is that gonna get you? Forza 3 isn't even the best looking racer on the 360.

I'd say PGR4 beats it.

I haven't played it myself, but from what I've seen, I can't whole-heartedly agree. I'll just blame video compression.
johny300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 johny300
Member since 2010 • 12496 Posts

[QUOTE="windsquid9000"]

I played the GT5 demo today... J-WOW

I stopped reading right there

Lol me too.
windsquid9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 windsquid9000
[QUOTE="J-WOW"]

[QUOTE="windsquid9000"]

I played the GT5 demo today... johny300

I stopped reading right there

Lol me too.

Not on PSN, but a display PS3.
The_OT_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 The_OT_Man
Member since 2010 • 80 Posts
I agree OP. I'm not impressed with GT5's visuals either. Let's just allow these fanboys to continue ranting at everyone who has any critical comments regarding GT5.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#26 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Pics or it didn't happen.

lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts

Pics or it didn't happen.

mitu123
...it didn't happen :P... but seriously I've seen very little of this game( since is not at the top of my games to get).
tmntPunchout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 tmntPunchout
Member since 2007 • 3770 Posts

Honestly, TC is wrong. Drop dead wrong. I don't know where you are coming out with your facts. It's much worse than you say. I've seen games on natal look way better than GT5, it's not even funny. Poly did a really bad job on this game.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

TC is in denial.

http://e3.gamespot.com/best-of-e3-2010/special-achievement/index.html?page=2

http://gamescom.gamespot.com/story/6274171/gran-turismo-5-speeds-off-with-gamescoms-top-prize/

http://tgs.gamespot.com/video/6276370/?tag=updates;title;5#toggle_video

gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 gaming25
Member since 2010 • 6181 Posts
I agree OP. I'm not impressed with GT5's visuals either. Let's just allow these fanboys to continue ranting at everyone who has any critical comments regarding GT5.The_OT_Man
When you have 99% percent of reviewers agree that GT5 is a graphical beast (previewers already agree), then we arent the fanboys at all.
windsquid9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 windsquid9000

TC is in denial.

http://gamescom.gamespot.com/story/6274171/gran-turismo-5-speeds-off-with-gamescoms-top-prize/

Gue1

TC has played the game (at least the most recent "public" build of it which looks to be the same as what they played). I'm not going to change my opinion simply because an official gaming site says otherwise. I base my opinion on what's actually there.

EDIT: And if you actually read my post, I'm not saying that the game is ugly, but that it simply has a plethora of visual flaws that other games don't have [to the same extent]. It's understandable that it is praised for it's visuals- it's a pretty game- but it's not without flaws and because of these flaws, I do not believe it is the best looking racer.

drspudz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 drspudz
TC has played the game....the rest of you guys have not. I wonder who I should listen to. Btw TC, play PGR4, it's my favorite racer this gen and one of the best looking racers. The weather effects are phenomenal. It has real time weather unlike GT5.
gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 gaming25
[QUOTE="windsquid9000"][QUOTE="Gue1"]

TC is in denial.

TC has played the game (at least the most recent "public" build of it which looks to be the same as what they played). I'm not going to change my opinion simply because an official gaming site says otherwise. I base my opinion on what's actually there.

But your opinion is wrong. You heavily nitpicked the graphics, pointing out "poles" and stuff like that as why you think this game is unimpressive. Car models are the best, the track is the best, and so is the weather, so I dont how you think this game is unimpressive. It does the main part of the graphics better than any sim ever.
lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

TC is in denial.

windsquid9000

EDIT: And if you actually read my post, I'm not saying that the game is ugly, but that it simply has a plethora of visual infidelities that other games don't have [to the same extent]. It's understandable that it is praised for it's visuals- it's a pretty game- but it's not without flaws and because of these flaws, I do not believe it is the best looking racer.

Aren't you the tc?!?!!?!? :o

gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 gaming25
TC has played the game....the rest of you guys have not. I wonder who I should listen to. Btw TC, play PGR4, it's my favorite racer this gen and one of the best looking racers. The weather effects are phenomenal. It has real time weather unlike GT5.drspudz
Not sure if GT5 isnt real time. But that isnt the point. You obviously dont think that PGR4 looks better than GT5 anyway since the only point you came up with is "real time weather effects".
johny300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 johny300

[QUOTE="windsquid9000"]

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

TC is in denial.

lbjkurono23

EDIT: And if you actually read my post, I'm not saying that the game is ugly, but that it simply has a plethora of visual infidelities that other games don't have [to the same extent]. It's understandable that it is praised for it's visuals- it's a pretty game- but it's not without flaws and because of these flaws, I do not believe it is the best looking racer.

Aren't you the tc?!?!!?!? :o

Hes speaking in third person if i'm correct lol.
drspudz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 drspudz
[QUOTE="drspudz"]TC has played the game....the rest of you guys have not. I wonder who I should listen to. Btw TC, play PGR4, it's my favorite racer this gen and one of the best looking racers. The weather effects are phenomenal. It has real time weather unlike GT5.gaming25
Not sure if GT5 isnt real time. But that isnt the point. You obviously dont think that PGR4 looks better than GT5 anyway since the only point you came up with is "real time weather effects".

GT5's isn't real time...and I never said PGR4 looks better than GT5. I just mentioned PGR4 because cows saying they would be ok with GT5 as long as it looks better than Forza3 which Forza 3 isn't even the best looking racer on the 360.
gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 gaming25
[QUOTE="gaming25"][QUOTE="drspudz"]TC has played the game....the rest of you guys have not. I wonder who I should listen to. Btw TC, play PGR4, it's my favorite racer this gen and one of the best looking racers. The weather effects are phenomenal. It has real time weather unlike GT5.drspudz

GT5's isn't real time...and I never said PGR4 looks better than GT5. I just mentioned PGR4 because cows saying they would be ok with GT5 as long as it looks better than Forza3 which Forza 3 isn't even the best looking racer on the 360.

But you are comparing it to GT5 for some reason.
johny300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 johny300
[QUOTE="gaming25"][QUOTE="drspudz"]TC has played the game....the rest of you guys have not. I wonder who I should listen to. Btw TC, play PGR4, it's my favorite racer this gen and one of the best looking racers. The weather effects are phenomenal. It has real time weather unlike GT5.drspudz

Last time i checked lems are saying FMS3 is the best looking racer on the 360?
drspudz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 drspudz
[QUOTE="johny300"][QUOTE="drspudz"][QUOTE="gaming25"] Not sure if GT5 isnt real time. But that isnt the point. You obviously dont think that PGR4 looks better than GT5 anyway since the only point you came up with is "real time weather effects".

It's not, in terms of exclusives...PGR4 is a lot better. Better car models, better lighting, better environment...the list goes on.
johny300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 johny300
[QUOTE="drspudz"][QUOTE="johny300"][QUOTE="drspudz"] GT5's isn't real time...and I never said PGR4 looks better than GT5. I just mentioned PGR4 because cows saying they would be ok with GT5 as long as it looks better than Forza3 which Forza 3 isn't even the best looking racer on the 360.

It's not, in terms of exclusives...PGR4 is a lot better. Better car models, better lighting, better environment...the list goes on.

It's youre opinion, and i guess you didnt click on the threads where 360 lems compare only FMS3 to GT5.
windsquid9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 windsquid9000

[QUOTE="windsquid9000"][QUOTE="Gue1"]

TC is in denial.

gaming25

But your opinion is wrong. You heavily nitpicked the graphics, pointing out "poles" and stuff like that as why you think this game is unimpressive. Car models are the best, the track is the best, and so is the weather, so I dont how you think this game is unimpressive. It does the main part of the graphics better than any sim ever.

The attention to detail on the tracks is very impressive.. The LEVEL of detail is not. And I'm not nitpicking. I'm pointing out clearly visible elements of the game's graphics. I'll see if I can clarify things so you can see where I'm coming from:

Because of the insane number of polygons, the cars are the smoothest I've seen and the textures are great as well. BUT, the reflections are heavily pixelated up close and the surface of the car looks somewhat artificial when you pay attention to how light interacts with its surface. This isn't an observation made from pressing my face against the screen, I simply looked at the car from the various views the game gives you. The hood view clearly shows how low-res the reflections are and the replays/display cars give you a good enough look at the cars to show that something is a little wonky about the surface. These cars may be the most detailed, but because some elements fall far short of cars in other games, they are arguably not the best looking.

The tracks, while the attention to detail is about the best I've seen, are very lacking in their level of detail. Elements in the environment aren't nearly as defined as they are in other games. That's not a biased opinion made by a GT hater that glanced at a video or two, that's an observable fact visible to those who have played the game. Other games have fully rendered guardrails. GT5 does not. Other games [may] have 3D trees. GT5 does not. Other games [may] have normal mapping, well defined textures, and detailed back-drops. GT5 (for the most part) does not.

You may be wondering "if the game's visuals have all these flaws, then why do people praise them so much?" Well, that's because of excellent visual styling. Lighting, use of motion blur and depth of field, attention to detail, camera work, level of detail (as far as the cars are concerned), etc. all come together nicely to make a great looking game and may lead some to ignore the aforementioned flaws. But that doesn't change that they are there and that doesn't change my stance.

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

PGR4 looks great, but not better than Forza 3 imo... both do have different styles, but overall Forza 3 has more detail. But I'll admit I do like PGR4 as the better game. The PGR4 video is my upload btw

Forza 3

PGR4

drspudz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 drspudz
[QUOTE="johny300"][QUOTE="drspudz"][QUOTE="johny300"] Last time i checked lems are saying FMS3 is the best looking racer on the 360?

It's youre opinion, and i guess you didnt click on the threads where 360 lems compare only FMS3 to GT5.

It's not just imo. It actually is better. Why the hell are you even defending Forza 3? Aren't you against it? Is it because you guys believe defeating Forza 3 graphically is such an accomplishment? Please.
johny300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 johny300
Lets wait for the reviews until then .....
Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

A console gaming not having fantastic visuals.........ill alert the media.

You want good visuals and great gameplayget a PC and enjoy the fact that console gaming still provides fantastic gameplay/games.

mlbslugger86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#47 mlbslugger86
Member since 2004 • 12867 Posts

i'm confused right now...how did you play the GT5 demo if i haven't seen any demo, and if it has bad visuals...it has to be that so called car damage

gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 gaming25

[QUOTE="gaming25"][QUOTE="windsquid9000"] TC has played the game (at least the most recent "public" build of it which looks to be the same as what they played). I'm not going to change my opinion simply because an official gaming site says otherwise. I base my opinion on what's actually there.windsquid9000

The attention to detail on the tracks is very impressive.. The LEVEL of detail is not. And I'm not nitpicking. I'm pointing out clearly visible elements of the game's graphics. I'll see if I can clarify things so you can see where I'm coming from:

Because of the insane number of polygons, the cars are the smoothest I've seen and the textures are great as well. BUT, the reflections are heavily pixelated up close and the surface of the car looks somewhat artificial when you pay attention to how light interacts with its surface. This isn't an observation made from pressing my face against the screen, I simply looked at the car from the various views the game gives you. The hood view clearly shows how low-res the reflections are and the replays/display cars give you a good enough look at the cars to show that something is a little wonky about the surface. These cars may be the most detailed, but because some elements fall far short of cars in other games, they are arguably not the best looking.

The tracks, while the attention to detail is about the best I've seen, are very lacking in their level of detail. Elements in the environment aren't nearly as defined as they are in other games. That's not a biased opinion made by a GT hater that glanced at a video or two, that's an observable fact visible to those who have played the game. Other games have fully rendered guardrails. GT5 does not. Other games [may] have 3D trees. GT5 does not. Other games [may] have normal mapping, well defined textures, and detailed back-drops. GT5 (for the most part) does not.

You may be wondering "if the game's visuals have all these flaws, then why do people praise them so much?" Well, that's because of excellent visual styling. Lighting, use of motion blur and depth of field, attention to detail, camera work, level of detail (as far as the cars are concerned), etc. all come together nicely to make a great looking game and may lead some to ignore the aforementioned flaws. But that doesn't change that they are there and that doesn't change my stance.

1. Instead of car models, you decided to talk about reflections, of course that is nitpicking. As long as the reflections are bearible (which they easily are), it doesnt really matter. 2. The only element of the environment that doesnt look as good are arguably the trees. The crowd, buildings, archetecture looks amazing. So once again, there is nothing really wrong with the environment either. This game doesnt have that many flaws, so I know why people praise it as much. The game is the best looking racer ever.
erglesmergle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 erglesmergle
Member since 2009 • 1769 Posts

The graphics are VERY inconsistent. At times it look somewhat photorealistic. At times they look very good. At times they look Forza-ish. And at times theyre just bad.

Not to mention, the 2D trees. The reason for 2D trees isnt that PD decided to put attention to other areas. its that the engine cant handle it. Fact.

johny300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 johny300
[QUOTE="drspudz"][QUOTE="johny300"][QUOTE="drspudz"] It's not, in terms of exclusives...PGR4 is a lot better. Better car models, better lighting, better environment...the list goes on.

It's not just imo. It actually is better. Why the hell are you even defending Forza 3? Aren't you against it? Is it because you guys believe defeating Forza 3 graphically is such an accomplishment? Please.

First of all i want to begin with saying that i have both consles, second i'm defending Forza3 because it's better than PGR4, and i feel it's an acomplishement because i want a challange between the games i play on both consles , it's good to have a rival that you can challange i mean GT5 will push F4 to be better when it comes out and when it's better i enjoy more see it's good to have a challange, i'll give you another example we all know that uncharted 2 looks amazing but of course gears 3 looks more amazing and that will push uncharted 3 to be better.