" Xbox 'Durango' Requires All Games to be Installed

• 175 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SonyNintendoFan
SonyNintendoFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SonyNintendoFan
Member since 2010 • 527 Posts

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/20/xbox-durango-requires-all-games-to-be-installed

"Play from the optical disc will not be supported" So all games must be installed.

PS4 is moving forward, and 720 is taking huge steps back.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/20/xbox-durango-requires-all-games-to-be-installed

Welcome to the world of Playstation 3 lems :P

SonyNintendoFan
That screenshot looks legit.
KiZZo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 KiZZo1
Member since 2007 • 3989 Posts

Damage control in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ....

Mrmedia01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Mrmedia01
Member since 2007 • 1917 Posts

PS4 will probably also require games to be installed if not streamed from the PSN network.

They don't want pirates to rape there systems.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

of course it does, we all know bluray is crap for gaming.

if you have to install games on bluray they may as well come on 2 dvds... or 4 floppy discs... or a cassette tape.

bluray = garbage format for gaming.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

"Play from the optical disc will not be supported" So all games must be installed.

SonyNintendoFan
where have you been, i already install all my games to the HDD on my 360 andit's dumb to compare it to the Ps3, Ps3 mandatory installs are just a small fraction of the game to speed up load times on the Durango it will be FULL game installs like on the 360. How you can make out this is something bad i don't know because it saves wear and tear on both the Drive and the Disk and power consumption equals Heat, less power consumption equals less heat, Drive not running equals less power consumption equals less heat. You also have the added bonus of faster texture streaming which eliminates Pop-In to a degree and can, in some cases, cut down load times. Full game installs are a step towards DD which is moving forewards not backwards.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
I don't buy this rumor. If games are going to be 50gigs in size, even a 3tb hdd is pushing it.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Just like on the the PC? It wouldn't bother me any.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

and that's bad?

FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 FIipMode
Member since 2009 • 10850 Posts
I thought we would bet back to pop in and play.
timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11 timbers_WSU
Member since 2012 • 6076 Posts

Why would you not install it? Cut load times in half and better perfromance. Duh?

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10503 Posts

if you have to install games on bluray they may as well come on 2 dvds... or 4 floppy discs... or a cassette tape.

Riverwolf007

Wait what? BluRay can do everything DVD can do, but faster, and with much larger quanities of data on a single disc. I am really not sure where you are coming from with this?!

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 delta3074

KiZZo1
Whats there to damage control, Ps3 mandatory installs=/=360/Durango full game installs, Mandatory Ps3 installs are to fix a problem, Xbox 360 full game installs actually BENEFIT the system.
Jack-Burton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jack-Burton
Member since 2013 • 2435 Posts
de ja vu http://uk.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29368654/next-xbox-confirmed-to-be-a-disappointment-?page=0
fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts
If it does not require an always on connection I don't mind, don't know why people don't install games in the first place unless lack of space
timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 timbers_WSU

KiZZo1
Remember when I said to go on vacation because your post are useless? Yeah. See you in a week.
inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10503 Posts

These rumours are getting boring. I want to see the actual stuff announced from Microsoft themselves. Though to be fair, installing whole games is like a pc, it really isn't too bad.

FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 FIipMode
Member since 2009 • 10850 Posts
[QUOTE="KiZZo1"]

delta3074
Whats there to damage control, Ps3 mandatory installs=/=360/Durango full game installs, Mandatory Ps3 installs are to fix a problem, Xbox 360 full game installs actually BENEFIT the system.

if they're mandatory that's fixing a problem too no?
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 delta3074

and that's bad?

lostrib
You gotta love trolls that post topics without actually thinking them through,lol
Mrmedia01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Mrmedia01
Member since 2007 • 1917 Posts

[QUOTE="SonyNintendoFan"]

delta3074

where have you been, i already install all my games to the HDD on my 360 andit's dumb to compare it to the Ps3, Ps3 mandatory installs are just a small fraction of the game to speed up load times on the Durango it will be FULL game installs like on the 360. How you can make out this is something bad i don't know because it saves wear and tear on both the Drive and the Disk and power consumption equals Heat, less power consumption equals less heat, Drive not running equals less power consumption equals less heat. You also have the added bonus of faster texture streaming which eliminates Pop-In to a degree and can, in some cases, cut down load times. Full game installs are a step towards DD which is moving forewards not backwards.

True Dat. Its a good idea from MS. Nothing wrong with this rumor.

They better have a huge hard drive in it though. 1TB on up would do it justice.

Heres the thing most nextgen games will probably take up between 15GB to 50GB per game. A gamer with a collection of 20 games might have a hard time fitting all games on the hard drive at once with 1TB. Guess a 1.5 TB would be perfect though for a hardcore gamer.

hexashadow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hexashadow13
Member since 2010 • 5157 Posts
:/ Microsoft should have just stuck to PC.
KiZZo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KiZZo1

[QUOTE="KiZZo1"]

timbers_WSU

Remember when I said to go on vacation because your post are useless? Yeah. See you in a week.

Don't worry, admins will soon send you on a much longer vacation ... as before.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 clyde46

[QUOTE="delta3074"][QUOTE="SonyNintendoFan"]

Mrmedia01

True Dat. Its a good idea from MS. Nothing wrong with this rumor.

They better have a huge hard drive in it though. 1TB on up would do it justice.

Heres the thing most nextgen games will probably take up between 15GB to 50GB per game. A gamer with a collection of 20 games might have a hard time fitting all games on the hard drive at once with 1TB. Guess a 1.5 TB would be perfect though.

Considering a 2.5in laptop 1TB hard drive is dirt cheap now.
KiZZo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 KiZZo1

[QUOTE="KiZZo1"]

delta3074

So PS3 installs don't benefit the system ...  Refer to my original post :lol:

Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Slow_Show
Member since 2011 • 2018 Posts

Why is this a bad thing? You get significantly better load times, and it all but certainly means Steamworks-type "buy the physical copy, still get the digital copy" functionality. 

And obviously, 50GB disks doesn't automatically mean 50GB games. I wouldn't imagine the average game being much bigger than 20GB, and that's a pretty conservative estimate.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 delta3074
[QUOTE="delta3074"][QUOTE="KiZZo1"]

FIipMode

Let me explain, PS3 mandatory installs where there to fix the problem of a slow BR drive, you don't get any of the benefits that you get with a full game install on the 360. The drive becomes inactive, the whole game is streamed from the disk which saves wear and tear on the Drive and the disk and cuts down on power consumption which cuts down on heat, Ps3 the drive is still spinning so no benefit whatsoever there, the same benefits apply whether a full game install is Optional or mandatory. Bottom line is that Full game installs on either the Xbox 350 or Durango and Mandatory installs on the Ps3 are not really compareable, one is designed to counter an inefficiency, the other increases efficiency. And full game installs are progressive, they are a good thing, this will help people on there way to getting used to DD which, whether people like it or not, is the way things are moving. For the TC to say they are a step backwards is quite deluded, i was hoping the Ps4 would have Full game installs, it's the next console i wish to own.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 clyde46
[QUOTE="FIipMode"][QUOTE="delta3074"]Whats there to damage control, Ps3 mandatory installs=/=360/Durango full game installs, Mandatory Ps3 installs are to fix a problem, Xbox 360 full game installs actually BENEFIT the system.delta3074

Let me explain, PS3 mandatory installs where there to fix the problem of a slow BR drive, you don't get any of the benefits that you get with a full game install on the 360. The drive becomes inactive, the whole game is streamed from the disk which saves wear and tear on the Drive and the disk and cuts down on power consumption which cuts down on heat, Ps3 the drive is still spinning so no benefit whatsoever there, the same benefits apply whether a full game install is Optional or mandatory. Bottom line is that Full game installs on either the Xbox 350 or Durango and Mandatory installs on the Ps3 are not really compareable, one is designed to counter an inefficiency, the other increases efficiency. And full game installs are progressive, they are a good thing, this will help people on there way to getting used to DD which, whether people like it or not, is the way things are moving. For the TC to say they are a step backwards is quite deluded, i was hoping the Ps4 would have Full game installs, it's the next console i wish to own.

It also stopped the 360 making that ungodly racket.
timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 timbers_WSU

KiZZo1

So PS3 installs don't benefit the system ...  Refer to my original post :lol:

Just admit you tried to be cute showing your fanboy colors and now realize how stupid you sounded.
KarateeeChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 KarateeeChop
Member since 2010 • 4666 Posts

so will this be like the ps3 where you have to install the game only to still be stuck with the worst version? :(

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Riverwolf007

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

_Matt_

Wait what? BluRay can do everything DVD can do, but faster, and with much larger quanities of data on a single disc. I am really not sure where you are coming from with this?!

it comes from the 20 min installs i have been doing on ps3 games for the last 6 years.

We Are Only Trying To Help

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#32 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
Here's a kicker, it has to be installed on propriety hard drives. Aka 200 bucks for 500GB.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 clyde46
Here's a kicker, it has to be installed on propriety hard drives. Aka 200 bucks for 500GB.hiphops_savior
I hope not. Least the PS3 allowed you to use standard 2.5in HDD.
KiZZo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 KiZZo1

Bottom line is that Full game installs on either the Xbox 350 or Durango and Mandatory installs on the Ps3 are not really compareable, one is designed to counter an inefficiency, the other increases efficiency.delta3074

If you counter an inefficiency ... don't you in fact increase efficiency ? :lol:

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 delta3074

[QUOTE="delta3074"]Bottom line is that Full game installs on either the Xbox 350 or Durango and Mandatory installs on the Ps3 are not really compareable, one is designed to counter an inefficiency, the other increases efficiency.KiZZo1

If you counter an inefficiency ... don't you in fact increase efficiency ? :lol:

Mandatory installs are required for the Ps3 to operate at it's BASE level, full installs on the 360 IMPROVE it beyond it's BASE level, Mandatory installs do not increase the Ps3's base efficiency, Xbox 360 Full game installs DO. But, just for arguments sake lest' just go with what you are saying, still not compareable, one is used to make the system more efficient to counter an inefficiency, the other is just there to improve efficiency:)
wazzap76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 wazzap76
Member since 2012 • 293 Posts

Why are people bit ching about this? Your computer has done the same thing for what almost 25 years now? These systems are computers so people get your head out your asses this means better running games.

KiZZo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 KiZZo1

[QUOTE="KiZZo1"]

[QUOTE="delta3074"]Bottom line is that Full game installs on either the Xbox 350 or Durango and Mandatory installs on the Ps3 are not really compareable, one is designed to counter an inefficiency, the other increases efficiency.delta3074

Mandatory installs are required for the Ps3 to operate at it's BASE level, full installs on the 360 IMPROVE it beyond it's BASE level, Mandatory installs do not increase the Ps3's base efficiency, Xbox 360 Full game installs DO. But, just for arguments sake lest' just go with what you are saying, still not compareable, one is used to make the system more efficient to counter an inefficiency, the other is just there to improve efficiency:)

A lot of the mandatory installs on PS3 (in fact almost all recently) are in fact full installs.

With that in mind, explain to me what is the difference between a game running from 360's HD and PS3's HD ...

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Tessellation
Member since 2009 • 9297 Posts
Why do you bandodge NYCgamer47 aka BrutonNYC aka Bigboss aka SonyNintendoFan?
Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

*yawn*

Mr720fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Mr720fan
Member since 2013 • 2795 Posts

Not a big deal if true, try harder cows.

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

There's a chance this could happen with both consoles. It doesn't even necassarily have to be a DRM thing. Could be just because Blu-Ray is too slow for next-gen.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 delta3074

KiZZo1

A lot of the mandatory installs on PS3 (in fact almost all recently) are in fact full installs.

With that in mind, explain to me what is the difference between a game running from 360's HD and PS3's HD ...

Depnds if it's amandatiry install on the Ps3 or a full game install, which you get if you download games from PSN, full game Installs on the Ps3 are not my issue, they ARE compareable to Xbox 360 Full game installs because they have the same advantages, My issue is somebody comparing Full game installs to mandatory ones used to 'aid' another part of the system, with the 360 there is a marked improvement in Both Game performance and system Efficiency with Full Game installs versus running them from the disk, the same applying to full game installs on the Ps3. Texture and data streaming from a HDD is Faster then Streaming assets from the Drive which increases system performance and Game performance because it cut's down on Pop-in. Drive being inactive means less power consumption which equals less heat also save on wea and tear for both the disk and the drive. Personally i don't have a problem with mandatory installs, gives me time for a cuppa, i just don't see how the two are compareable and i cannot understand the TC's Logic that any sort of install is astep backwards either, Mandatory installs wher there to fix a problem, where they a step backwards, Hell no. Trust me, there are enough things aout the Nextbox that have put me off Full game installs, mandatory or optional, is definitly NOT one of them, i see Full game installs as a benefit, a step foreward, they are a good thing imo.
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts
Oh the endless flames for mandatory partial install on PS3,all the hate and stupid complains,and now is ok,oh wait i would not say now i would say since the 360 got it,but on 360 the justification for the ownage by MS was that it wasn't mandatory and that you could run it from the disc,when clearly developer like ID advise you to install their game if you actually wanted and optimal version of the game... Now we are talking about mandatory FULL install of games on Blu-ray media,25 to 50 GB disc,this doesn't bother me but is quite an ownage to any lemming who flame PS3 partial instals..
Avatar image for 205212669269561485377169522720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#44 205212669269561485377169522720
Member since 2005 • 14458 Posts

Lol I remember Stevo_The_Lemming saying he prefers the 360 because of the lack of needing to install games. :lol:

Ahh where art thou! #lemdreams

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Riverwolf007

Oh the endless flames for mandatory partial install on PS3,all the hate and stupid complains,and now is ok,oh wait i would not say now i would say since the 360 got it,but on 360 the justification for the ownage by MS was that it wasn't mandatory and that you could run it from the disc,when clearly developer like ID advise you to install their game if you actually wanted and optimal version of the game... Now we are talking about mandatory FULL install of games on Blu-ray media,25 to 50 GB disc,this doesn't bother me but is quite an ownage to any lemming who flame PS3 partial instals..tormentos
who is saying it is ok?

i'm saying it is nothing but more proof  of what a shytty format bluray is for games.

those people saying it's ok?  well,  **** those guys.

bluray is so shytty for games that even next gen hardware can't fix the problem.

if installs are required it makes bluray a joke.

they could ship the nextbox with a cassette deck if we have to install anyway.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts
[QUOTE="KiZZo1"]

[QUOTE="delta3074"]Mandatory installs are required for the Ps3 to operate at it's BASE level, full installs on the 360 IMPROVE it beyond it's BASE level, Mandatory installs do not increase the Ps3's base efficiency, Xbox 360 Full game installs DO. But, just for arguments sake lest' just go with what you are saying, still not compareable, one is used to make the system more efficient to counter an inefficiency, the other is just there to improve efficiency:)delta3074

Depnds if it's amandatiry install on the Ps3 or a full game install, which you get if you download games from PSN, full game Installs on the Ps3 are not my issue, they ARE compareable to Xbox 360 Full game installs because they have the same advantages, My issue is somebody comparing Full game installs to mandatory ones used to 'aid' another part of the system, with the 360 there is a marked improvement in Both Game performance and system Efficiency with Full Game installs versus running them from the disk, the same applying to full game installs on the Ps3. Texture and data streaming from a HDD is Faster then Streaming assets from the Drive which increases system performance and Game performance because it cut's down on Pop-in. Drive being inactive means less power consumption which equals less heat also save on wea and tear for both the disk and the drive. Personally i don't have a problem with mandatory installs, gives me time for a cuppa, i just don't see how the two are compareable and i cannot understand the TC's Logic that any sort of install is astep backwards either, Mandatory installs wher there to fix a problem, where they a step backwards, Hell no. Trust me, there are enough things aout the Nextbox that have put me off Full game installs, mandatory or optional, is definitly NOT one of them, i see Full game installs as a benefit, a step foreward, they are a good thing imo.

Drop it your owning your self dude there is no difference other than 360 games taking more space tan need it,this doesn't bother me but you you complained a hell of allot about mandatory installs even that on PS3 they were partial on 720 they will be mandatory,prepare for 25 to 50 GB installs...
RavenLoud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 RavenLoud
Member since 2009 • 2874 Posts

Riverwolf007
You do know there are faster BR drives than the 2x ones in the PS3.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Riverwolf007

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

RavenLoud

You do know there are faster BR drives than the 2x ones in the PS3.

and if the problems with bluray are fixed by that then it's all good and i can make peace with bd.

but,  if installs are required on next gen systems i'm going to laugh because at that point bd is not needed since they have to be installed.

you guys have to see what i'm talking about here right?

why have it at all when you can have a cheaper format, and you can have a cheap format because installs are required.

games can come on this for all the difference it makes.

th?id=H.4823025843831589&pid=15.1

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts

[QUOTE="delta3074"]Bottom line is that Full game installs on either the Xbox 350 or Durango and Mandatory installs on the Ps3 are not really compareable, one is designed to counter an inefficiency, the other increases efficiency.KiZZo1

:lol:
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61534 Posts

I do that anyway.