PSP2 is going to change gaming, not the 3DS

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mrmccormo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Mrmccormo
Member since 2011 • 870 Posts

Keep in mind that I will be buying a 3DS and loving it, if not at launch then soon after.

However, the PSP2 is doing so much more that I - a gamer - care about. Mainly because of online and control scheme.

Online: 3DS is using 12-digit friend codes. PSP2 is using PSN with friends lists and trophies, as well as "Near" software to see gamers near you and see what games are popular in your area. 'Nuff said.

Control scheme: PSP2 has every control option that the 3DS has, plus an extra touch pad on the back (touch controls that don't obscure the action? Heck yeah) and an extra analog stick. You won't see too many 3rd-party 3DS games that can't also be done on the PSP2.

Another thing is the Playstation Suite. Having every Playstation Suite game that's on Android phones also available on the PSP2 is going to be pretty helpful.

I am interested in playing games in 3D, but I'd gladly trade 3D for a second analog stick, better-quality online, and markedly better graphics.

Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

It won't change anything as everything it'll do already exists.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#3 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

The only Change that I see the PSP2(NGP) and the 3DS doing for Gaming is Graphic in enhancments for Handheld Gaming.

Other than that nothing.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
I doubt it, the NGP doesn't look practical from what I see. How can you offer a console experience on the go? Also 3G isn't that big in America like it is in Europe you can't stay connect to the internet on the go 24/7 at least not cheaply anyways.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

I don't care I'm buying both.

Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

Nothing you mentioned will change gaming.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

Neither of them are going to change anything.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

The only Change that I see the PSP2(NGP) and the 3DS doing for Gaming is Graphic in enhancments for Handheld Gaming.

Other than that nothing.

LegatoSkyheart
I dunno, that online stuff sounds pretty sweet for a portable.
Cruse34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Cruse34
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

Well Sony's probably not going to make good games for it.

Uncharted Sure! But wait not by Naughty Dog?

Same with most of the announced games

jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#10 jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts

I doubt it, the NGP doesn't look practical from what I see. How can you offer a console experience on the go? Also 3G isn't that big in America like it is in Europe you can't stay connect to the internet on the go 24/7 at least not cheaply anyways.Fightingfan

I guess you mean 4g? 3g is in a big portion of the US. 4g is whats lacking now and even that seems to be exploding.

PSP2 and 3ds are not really changing gaming though.. What really is doing that is the smartphone game market.. More and more people are looking for that all in one device (phone, camera, light games, online, web browser).. Thats really is what changing the handheld gaming landscape... I look to tegra 2 to really see where things are heading.

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

Only if its cheap at launch.

Needs to match the 3DS launch price to be viable.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

Dat analog!

http://forum.i3d.net/attachments/offtopic-english/943182052d1249724207-happy-birthday-frank-dat-ass1.png

But no, I disagree.

PSP2 is cool tech for a handheld device, nothing new in gaming though. Tell me how with nothing new it can change gaming? 3DS will be the first mass market 3D games console with no special glasses required. 3D is something PSP2 can't do, but also something that can introduce new gameplay mechanics (albeit probably limited).

Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

Cruse34

Naughty Dog is involved in the development of Uncharted NGP.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

GreenGoblin2099
This. Only thing I want to see more of is the real touch pad, which I really haven't seen much of yet.
Greyfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Greyfeld
Member since 2008 • 3007 Posts
The only thing the NGP is doing is moving handhelds one step closer toward all-in-1 portable devices. In the next generation or two, we'll end up having phones and handheld systems as one package, since they're already getting radio, cameras, internet, etc etc. But both handhelds are doing that, not just Sony's.
Mrmccormo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Mrmccormo
Member since 2011 • 870 Posts

Cruse34
I have confidence in Sony's handheld devs. Neither the God of War, Killzone, LBP, or Resistence games were made by the original devs but they were all worthwhile games, imo.
Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 Zophar87
Member since 2008 • 4344 Posts

OMGOMGOMG 3G on a handheld!!!!11!!!1!!!

OMGOMGOMG Dual analog sticks!!!1!!11!!11oneone!!!!1!!

OMGOMGOMG it's $500.....

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
The PSP2 strikes me as a portable console. I don't know if I way a portable console but I will probably get it eventually.
RickyRevolver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RickyRevolver
Member since 2010 • 1086 Posts

Not Really.

I think the one thats gonna really "change" gaming is the 3DS. HOWEVER, I'd rather buy a PSP2 over a 3DS since its a portable PS3.

Greyfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Greyfeld

OMGOMGOMG it's $500.....

Zophar87

/facepalm

The NGP is supposed to be coming out at $300-$350. If you're going to be sarcastic, at least know what you're talking about first.

To the poster above me who mentioned it being a "portable console," I completely agree. That's one of the problems I have with the original PSP. Instead of original IPs and proper handheld titles, Sony is porting over a lot of older titles and making mediocre spinoffs to popular series.

Also, I don't know if it's just me, or if this is a widespread problem, but I tend to get a headache when I play my PSP for an extended period of time.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

Which one will change more? Probably the PSP2 as it is doing more different than the 3DS is, but neither are extremely ground breaking. At the same time both offer innovation and such. I am very excited for both, but given the lackluster lineup of 3DS games I am holding off on buying one (for now) and then when I saw the PSP2 it kinda stole my heart :P. I hope they rock E3. Both companies better come with some great announcements!

windsquid9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 windsquid9000
Member since 2009 • 3206 Posts

But no, I disagree.

PSP2 is cool tech for a handheld device, nothing new in gaming though. Tell me how with nothing new it can change gaming? 3DS will be the first mass market 3D games console with no special glasses required. 3D is something PSP2 can't do, but also something that can introduce new gameplay mechanics (albeit probably limited).

SaltyMeatballs

3D, an unnecessary feature that only alters perception (the game itself unaffected) can introduce new game mechanics, but dual multi-touch panels and a gyro/accelerometer/compass combo can't? I don't understand. :?

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#23 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

Other than that nothing.

locopatho

That's not changing a freakin' thing though.

Compare Online enhancemence to Motion Control and Touch Screens.

Besides, We've seen more enhancements with Online Handheld Capabilities through Cellphones, also the PSP and DS could already go online so if anything it's just improvements for Handheld Gaming, Evolutions not Revolutions.

Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Nintendo_Ownes7

[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]

But no, I disagree.

windsquid9000

3D, an unnecessary feature that only alters perception (the game itself unaffected) can introduce new game mechanics, but dual multi-touch panels and a gyro/accelerometer/compass combo can't? I don't understand. :?

The 3DS also has Gyros and Accelerometers.

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

[QUOTE="Zophar87"]

OMGOMGOMG it's $500.....

Greyfeld

/facepalm

The NGP is supposed to be coming out at $300-$350. If you're going to be sarcastic, at least know what you're talking about first.

To the poster above me who mentioned it being a "portable console," I completely agree. That's one of the problems I have with the original PSP. Instead of original IPs and proper handheld titles, Sony is porting over a lot of older titles and making mediocre spinoffs to popular series.

Also, I don't know if it's just me, or if this is a widespread problem, but I tend to get a headache when I play my PSP for an extended period of time.

....you know...its funny how u think u know the price of the NGP....do u work for SONY? cuz thats the only reasonable explanation as to how u would know the price. Anyway ill be buying both, but id say that 3DS is bringing more change than the NGP.

Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Zophar87

[QUOTE="Zophar87"]

OMGOMGOMG it's $500.....

Greyfeld

/facepalm

Either give a link stating that fact or get off of System Wars, and like $300-$350 is any better.

lolSony fanboys.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

[QUOTE="windsquid9000"]

[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]

But no, I disagree.

Nintendo_Ownes7

Dat inovashun!

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_8fN96p7_zdA/TUSiWynwkLI/AAAAAAAACTU/vMk0omcWP7w/s800/ngp_back.jpg

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
I think the ngp might change change gaming in the sense that it looks like the only system I've seen that you can quickly switch between touchscreen gameplay and using buttons.That might actually change gaming a bit The ngp might also change gaming in the sense that now you can use 3g to play call of duty and other games online. Meaning you could see people all over the place in public playing online. Other than that I don't think either will change gaming much.
windsquid9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 windsquid9000

[QUOTE="windsquid9000"]

[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]

But no, I disagree.

Nintendo_Ownes7

I'm aware, but they can't be used when 3D is enabled (will cause the effect to fade in an out making the game difficult to play) and it doesn't have a compass, which makes the accelerometer and gyro much more useful.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts
It isn't going to radically change anything. It's just part of the natural evolution of gaming. Or rather, the natural evolution of gaming in Japan.

You see Japan has been steadily moving away from home consoles in favor of handhelds. It's for this reason that the original PSP saw most of it's success in that country. At least in terms of software sales. The more i think about it, the more obvious it is Sony has chosen to build on that success and design the PSP2 to cater to this market. They may not even be particularly concerned with how well it performs in the west.
Elementguy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Elementguy13
Member since 2005 • 2950 Posts
I can't believe I am saying this but I might buy the psp2. I haven't played a portable since I was probably 13 but the psp2 just seems so much more matured and refined. I wouldn't be embarrassed to play such a thing in front of other people. Its practically a console and it offers much more in multimedia. I would never be caught dead playing a DS in my life. Especially 3d.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="Greyfeld"]

[QUOTE="Zophar87"]

OMGOMGOMG it's $500.....

Zophar87

/facepalm

Either give a link stating that fact or get off of System Wars, and like $300-$350 is any better.

lolSony fanboys.

hmmm $300 and even $350 SEEM TO BE....less than $500? Hmm thats strange ;). For what the NGP (PSP2) offers $350 or less is a great price IMO. I am very excited for both the 3DS and the NGP, but one thing is for certain, the 3DS will cost more than it is worth and the NGP will probably cost less than its worth, although maybe on par.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 locopatho

[QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

Other than that nothing.

LegatoSkyheart

Besides, We've seen more enhancements with Online Handheld Capabilities through Cellphones, also the PSP and DS could already go online so if anything it's just improvements for Handheld Gaming, Evolutions not Revolutions.

It is for handhelds tho surely? Maybe they start making some fun online co-op games, imagine a 16 player Pokemon game for 3DS using a similiar online system !
Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Zophar87

hmmm $300 and even $350 SEEM TO BE....less than $500? Hmm thats strange ;). For what the NGP (PSP2) offers $350 or less is a great price IMO. I am very excited for both the 3DS and the NGP, but one thing is for certain, the 3DS will cost more than it is worth and the NGP will probably cost less than its worth, although maybe on par.

NaveedLife

NaveedLife! You're ruining my fun! Stoppit.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Guess you weren't around gaming when the PSP came out, fans of Sony and game critics everywhere were saying the exact same thing about the NGP's predecessor. About the only thing we know for sure that the NGP will change, is bro gamers interest in handhelds (because of the second analong stick) for shooters.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

[QUOTE="locopatho"] I dunno, that online stuff sounds pretty sweet for a portable.locopatho

It is for handhelds tho surely? Maybe they start making some fun online co-op games, imagine a 16 player Pokemon game for 3DS using a similiar online system !

I am REALLY hoping that either the 3DS or NGP (or both) have a game that is a persistant online RPG (like Diablo II). Not like WoW, like Diablo, BIG difference lol. It would be great to have a big online community with tons of customization, loot and so on, where you could connect wirelessly to a friend or few and play locally, or just hop online and play with them and thousands of others online.

rolo107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 rolo107
Member since 2007 • 5469 Posts
Don't ask the arrogant System Wars goers what will change gaming, they are usually pretty sure nothing will. Then feign not being surprised when something hits big and does have a big cascade effect on gaming and changes quite a bit.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 locopatho

[QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

NaveedLife

I am REALLY hoping that either the 3DS or NGP (or both) have a game that is a persistant online RPG (like Diablo II). Not like WoW, like Diablo, BIG difference lol. It would be great to have a big online community with tons of customization, loot and so on, where you could connect wirelessly to a friend or few and play locally, or just hop online and play with them and thousands of others online.

That's exactly what I was thinking of! The whole 16 player thing seems enough, leave the massive ones to PC lol, but yeah hopping onto one of those games for a 20 minute bus journey or whatever sounds very appealing :)
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="locopatho"] It is for handhelds tho surely? Maybe they start making some fun online co-op games, imagine a 16 player Pokemon game for 3DS using a similiar online system !locopatho

That's exactly what I was thinking of! The whole 16 player thing seems enough, leave the massive ones to PC lol, but yeah hopping onto one of those games for a 20 minute bus journey or whatever sounds very appealing :)

Yeah if they are like Diablo II, then it is a deep experience that you could easily play for far too long :P, but also are able to play for 20 minutes or so like you said and get something accomplished. Generally I get sucked in and play for a bit but its nice to have the option either way while not sacrificing gameplay and depth. Man I love Diablo II :P

oh and did you know that Blizzard was considering making a Diablo DS but it just never got talked about again (to my knowledge).

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#40 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

GreenGoblin2099
This, applicable to both the 3DS and NGP.
babyeatermax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 babyeatermax
Member since 2010 • 272 Posts
Other than 3D the 3DS doesn't do anything the PSP or DS can't do. The NGP is a whole new ball game. So any doors have been opened.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 locopatho

[QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

NaveedLife

Yeah if they are like Diablo II, then it is a deep experience that you could easily play for far too long :P, but also are able to play for 20 minutes or so like you said and get something accomplished. Generally I get sucked in and play for a bit but its nice to have the option either way while not sacrificing gameplay and depth. Man I love Diablo II :P

oh and did you know that Blizzard was considering making a Diablo DS but it just never got talked about again (to my knowledge).

Man imagine if Halo and Diablo both got their fabled DS versions. DS would probably explode from too much awesome on one machine tho!
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Nintendo_Ownes7

Other than 3D the 3DS doesn't do anything the PSP or DS can't do. The NGP is a whole new ball game. So many doors have been opened.babyeatermax
Actually that is wrong the 3DS can do other things the DS and PSP can't do like Motion Sensing it also has Street Pass which is interesting.

But I said in the Poll I don't care as I will be getting both systems. The NGP also has some good features like the multi-touch track pad on the back, and the touch screen, the gyro, Accelerometer, and Compass, I also think GPS can be implemented creatively into some games. Just like on the Wii forcast Channel was implemented into some games.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="locopatho"] That's exactly what I was thinking of! The whole 16 player thing seems enough, leave the massive ones to PC lol, but yeah hopping onto one of those games for a 20 minute bus journey or whatever sounds very appealing :)locopatho

Man imagine if Halo and Diablo both got their fabled DS versions. DS would probably explode from too much awesome on one machine tho!

Haha yeah Diablo and a good FPS...thats what my buddy bought the system for and never got :P. Instead we settled for Goldeneye: Rogue Agent lol.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts
does the 3ds touch screen support multi-touch(more than one finger)?
windsquid9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 windsquid9000
does the 3ds touch screen support multi-touch(more than one finger)?MFDOOM1983
No, though I heard it responds to fingers better.
cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#47 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

GreenGoblin2099
LOL, on the money! If Sony prices this more than $250 than it won't move much at first, imo.
_SWAG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 _SWAG_
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts

agreed 10 thousand percent. the ngp freaking has a rear touchpad for goodness sakes, thats freakin genuis. imho not only the ngp will be higher rated it will outsell the 3ds by the boatloads. next gen started when the ps3 came out, now next gen for portables will start when the ngp comes out. why would they code name it next generation portable. cant wait

Greyfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Greyfeld

[QUOTE="Greyfeld"]

[QUOTE="Zophar87"]

OMGOMGOMG it's $500.....

painguy1

/facepalm

....you know...its funny how u think u know the price of the NGP....do u work for SONY? cuz thats the only reasonable explanation as to how u would know the price. Anyway ill be buying both, but id say that 3DS is bringing more change than the NGP.

First off, a little research goes a long way.

Secondly, I know this is System Wars, but regardless of your gender (Hi there, "look at me, I'm a chick that plays games" signature!), not resorting to straw-man attacks or flamebating would do wonders for having an intelligent discussion. This means not pulling the "You must be a total fanboy!!" card just because somebody disagrees with you. Especially when considering that my posting history proves otherwise.

And lastly, I'll be picking up a 3DS before I get the NGP, because I enjoyed the DS more than the PSP this generation.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"] does the 3ds touch screen support multi-touch(more than one finger)?windsquid9000
No, though I heard it responds to fingers better.

LoL good ol nintendo selling outdated tech at a premium. it's using a resistive touch screen as well so i doubt response is any better.