PSN to offer "Premium" Themes

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for carlisledavid79
carlisledavid79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 carlisledavid79
Member since 2006 • 10522 Posts

Well I for one wont be buying them, as I dont bother paying for themes or gamer pics on 360.

Link

Paying for themes/gamerpics = fail

Good thing there will still be 100's of user created themes for free.

Miss_Wacy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Miss_Wacy
Member since 2007 • 1911 Posts

i still think the 360 themes look much better then ps3s

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SOedipus  Online
Member since 2006 • 14813 Posts

Well I for one wont be buying them, as I dont bother paying for themes or gamer pics on 360.

Link

Paying for themes/gamerpics = fail

Good thing there will still be 100's of user created themes for free.

carlisledavid79

I agree 100%. But people buy them......

skirlnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 skirlnik
Member since 2004 • 909 Posts

Sony offers free themes, you can create, share, and download user-created themes, and now you can buy premium themes.

How can anyone argue with this?

FragTycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FragTycoon
Member since 2008 • 6430 Posts

the way themes are set up on the PS3 you will see the same exact theme for free on the site the day it's released... and you can download it with the PS3 browser..... you would be a complete idiot to buy a theme on PSN.

I don't even see a trademark on the things they shown so far...

free themes are not in the hundreds, they are in the 10s of thousands.

sl4y4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 sl4y4
Member since 2008 • 266 Posts

the way themes are set up on the PS3 you will see the same exact theme for free on the site the day it's released... and you can download it with the PS3 browser..... you would be a complete idiot to buy a theme on PSN.

I don't even see a trademark on the things they shown so far...

free themes are not in the hundreds, they are in the 10s of thousands.

FragTycoon

^ That

I really don't see the point in this tbh, the themes they showed look just like any other user created theme you can download for free, it's really pointless imo.

I hated paying for gamer pictures and backgrounds on 360, and I won't be on PS3 either, I mean, why bother?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts
I don't pay for this crap, but I don't blame Sony. M$ is making a killing with this stuff, and I'm sure 3rd parties are putting out some pressure to make the same kind of capital from Sony.
Chaos_HL21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Chaos_HL21
Member since 2003 • 5288 Posts

Sony offers free themes, you can create, share, and download user-created themes, and now you can buy premium themes.

skirlnik

It didn't stop the cows from Bashing MS on themes (MS offers free themes, and you can make your own themes on the 360).

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts
I barely bother with free themes. Why should I want ones that cost money, especially when you can download custom themes for free from websites?
lantus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 lantus
Member since 2006 • 10591 Posts
Good for Sony, but I don't ever intend to buy one, just like I've never bought one on Live. Complete waste of money, I'll stick with free user-created themes thank you. :)
W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts
That's dumb considering there are some amazing user created themes avalible for free already.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b
deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b
Member since 2005 • 4624 Posts
The brand names and teams gotta get their cut too, so I'm not surprized to see this. I like PSN's free themes just fine.
Avatar image for ReverseCycology
ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ReverseCycology
Member since 2006 • 9717 Posts

First paying for videos, betas, Qore, now paying for themes. Sony is slowly introducing a fee for PSN. A good amount of people are subscribing to Qore and I wouldn't be surprise if there's a good amount of people buying these themes. And this will continue to slowly work its way up to paying for a premium version of PSN. Quote me on this, within 5 years, there will be a fee for a version of PSN. Just wait.

yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts
The Heavenly Sword theme I currently have serves fine. :D I would probably look upt more, but I don't really care for the themes of my PS3 that much anyways... I'm rarely seeing it. When I boot up the system I'm playing something watching, and pressing the PS button gives me an XMB theme that looks like the original (not my custom) so... why bother? >_>
waynehead895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 waynehead895
Member since 2005 • 18660 Posts

skirlnik
IDK. Ask the Cows when we told them the 360 can do the same thing even though they do charge for some.
Jack_Bauer07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jack_Bauer07
Member since 2006 • 1141 Posts

First paying for videos, betas, Qore, now paying for themes. Sony is slowly introducing a fee for PSN. A good amount of people are subscribing to Qore and I wouldn't be surprise if there's a good amount of people buying these themes. And this will continue to slowly work its way up to paying for a premium version of PSN. Quote me on this, within 5 years, there will be a fee for a version of PSN. Just wait.

ReverseCycology

Qore is a digital magazine. How is Sony charging for betas?

istreakforfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#17 istreakforfood
Member since 2004 • 7781 Posts

This one looks sweet. Pic was from tc's link.

ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ReverseCycology
[QUOTE="ReverseCycology"]

Jack_Bauer07

And a guaranteed way to get into these betas is subscribing to this digital magazine called Qore.

MKLOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MKLOL
Member since 2007 • 2080 Posts

This one looks sweet. Pic was from tc's link.

istreakforfood
wow, that really look awesome, but I'm not really sure I want to pay for themes...
Jack_Bauer07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jack_Bauer07
Member since 2006 • 1141 Posts
[QUOTE="Jack_Bauer07"][QUOTE="ReverseCycology"]

ReverseCycology

And a guaranteed way to get into these betas is subscribing to this digital magazine called Qore.

Yeah, and plenty of magazines used to offer free demo discs with them. Besides, there are plenty of other ways to get in; not to mention the LBP beta was given through free codes, not Qore.

ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ReverseCycology
[QUOTE="ReverseCycology"][QUOTE="Jack_Bauer07"]

Jack_Bauer07

Yeah, and plenty of magazines used to offer free demo discs with them. Besides, there are plenty of other ways to get in; not to mention the LBP beta was given through free codes, not Qore.

Its not just betas there's exclusive content like videos and demos thats only found in Qore. The point is there's people that will pay for these things all on their PS3s. And since Sony is really desperate to make some kind of profit, they will slowly start charging for stuff that was originally free. It's just a matter of time. I just have a feeling Sony will introduce a version of PSN that will offer Qore and premium themes and whatever else they will charge for, all in one package with a fee, all within 5 years.

-DrRobotnik-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 -DrRobotnik-
Member since 2008 • 5463 Posts

skirlnik

Same with the 360, yet people bash M$ for it all the time.

MickeyTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MickeyTheNinja
Member since 2007 • 3824 Posts
Those looks pretty dope. One thing ive always liked about the PS3 dash is the icons always change when you put on a new theme.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts
very disappinting to me. primarially because the selection of free ones is really poor. i hate mine. and really, I hate all of them. very tacky for them to do.
thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts
Paying for themes is ultra lame.
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts

good thing i know how to create my own themes :D

You guys do realize that you can actally make those same exact themes if u want...right? How much do u want to bet that all these "premium themes" will be recreated exactly and posted up on the net for free?

desyple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#27 desyple
Member since 2008 • 1725 Posts
since when can the 360 use user created themes???????
-DrRobotnik-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 -DrRobotnik-

since when can the 360 use user created themes???????desyple

Since always...

desyple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 desyple

[QUOTE="desyple"]since when can the 360 use user created themes???????-DrRobotnik-

Since always...

how because ive never noticed them are u talking aobut using a picture or a real theme blades and everyhting???
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SolidTy

[QUOTE="desyple"]since when can the 360 use user created themes???????-DrRobotnik-

Since always...

Yeah, but they are limited. You don't get the same customization you get with PS3, from the sounds, the icons, and rotating pics.l The 360 ones are just pictures...same with the paid for ones.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

I'm sorry, I was thinking about avatars. I'm apathetic towards them charging for some themes. There will always be a ton of them you can find for free.

My beef is with the avatars, most of which suck.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SolidTy

ReverseCycology

Meanwhile, M$ is charging for that stuff PLUS a FEE. Sorry, M$ will always lead in this dept, no matter how you downplay it.

Also, If M$ offered people the ability to play in the GeoW2 BETA, people would have done it. It's nice to have OPTIONS.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SolidTy

Since always...

Yeah, but they are limited. You don't get the same customization you get with PS3, from the sounds, the icons, and rotating pics. The 360 ones are just pictures...same with the paid for ones.

User ones don't even affect the Blades, etc. They are essentially just rough pics.

-DrRobotnik-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 -DrRobotnik-
[QUOTE="-DrRobotnik-"]

[QUOTE="desyple"]since when can the 360 use user created themes???????desyple

Since always...

how because ive never noticed them are u talking aobut using a picture or a real theme blades and everyhting???

Yeah just the backgrounds. There are only three blade types anyway that come standard with the 360.

desyple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 desyple
[QUOTE="desyple"][QUOTE="-DrRobotnik-"]

Since always...

Yeah just the backgrounds. There are only three blade types anyway that come standard with the 360.

if thats the case thats nowhere near the customizability of the ps3's theme.
-DrRobotnik-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 -DrRobotnik-
[QUOTE="-DrRobotnik-"][QUOTE="desyple"][QUOTE="-DrRobotnik-"]

Since always...

True but still, theres an option for people to make their own if they dont want to pay for one or if they dont like any of the free ones.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SolidTy
[QUOTE="-DrRobotnik-"][QUOTE="desyple"][QUOTE="-DrRobotnik-"]

Since always...

Yeah, I like all the little sound effects on the Free Ratchet and Clank Theme. I don't know if I will ever pay $1 for these premium themes(probably not), but it's making money on Xbox, and Sony probably sees this as another money avenue.

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#38 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
I like the 360 themes better, thosea aren't nice to look at. I like the 360 themes cause they change with each blade.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SolidTy

I like the 360 themes better, thosea aren't nice to look at. I like the 360 themes cause they change with each blade.Toriko42

The PS3 Themes rotate pics as well. Plus the ICONS change, and you get new sound effects. Do you have a PS3 to compare, or are you just guessing?

desyple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 desyple
I like the 360 themes better, thosea aren't nice to look at. I like the 360 themes cause they change with each blade.Toriko42
true but i hardly go to any other blade other than the games or live blade. also some ps3 themes have changing pictures each time you load the home screen.
-DrRobotnik-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 -DrRobotnik-
What really annoys me is the lack of avatars. I mean there must be about 40 or so? Why cant Sony add any more, the current selection they have is crap. We need some sackboy avatars!
AIH_PSP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 AIH_PSP
Member since 2005 • 2318 Posts
That's such a stupid idea. No one will buy it if you can make one yourself or download one of the many thousands of free ones.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SolidTy

What really annoys me is the lack of avatars. I mean there must be about 40 or so? Why cant Sony add any more, the current selection they have is crap. We need some sackboy avatars!DrRobotnik

I agree with that, they need to triple the amount. There are a lot of characters SONY owns that haven't appeared as Avy's yet. It's very annoying.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SolidTy

That's such a stupid idea. No one will buy it if you can make one yourself or download one of the many thousands of free ones.AIH_PSP

You would think that, but they sell on XBOX 360, even though the same option is available. They are only a $1, never underestimate Laziness either.

ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ReverseCycology
[QUOTE="ReverseCycology"]

SolidTy

Meanwhile, M$ is charging for that stuff PLUS a FEE. Sorry, M$ will always lead in this dept, no matter how you downplay it.

Also, If M$ offered people the ability to play in the GeoW2 BETA, people would have done it. It's nice to have OPTIONS.

The difference is that M$ had an optional fee for all that stuff from the start, while Sony never did until now and you can not downplay that at all.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SolidTy
[QUOTE="SolidTy"][QUOTE="ReverseCycology"]

ReverseCycology

The difference is that M$ had an optional fee for all that stuff from the start, while Sony never did until now and you can not downplay that at all.

Okay, so Sony was a saint, and M$ was the devil, and now Sony is beoming the devil too(Well, Demon, as they don't charge for PSN yet.).

It's money, and it blows, but they need to start making the same kind of money that M$ is, or they won't be able to buy as much as M$ can.

AKA : Business.

I never liked microtransactions on Xbox, I don't like them appearing on PSN, but when you see M$ buyiing DLC for games, if more money allows Sony to do that for their customers, then they got to do what they got to do, despite me liking it.

ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ReverseCycology

Okay, so Sony was a saint, and M$ was the devil, and now Sony is beoming the devil too(Well, Demon, as they don't charge for PSN yet.).

It's money, and it blows, but they need to start making the same kind of money that M$ is, or they won't be able to buy as much as M$ can.

AKA : Business.

I never liked microtransactions on Xbox, I don't like them appearing on PSN, but when you see M$ buyiing DLC for games, if more money allows Sony to do that for their customers, then they got to do what they got to do, despite me liking it.

SolidTy

Yep. Its all business but atleast with M$ you already know what has a fee or not, while with $ony, what they made you think will remain free, might not be. It just seems like $ony is always playing catch up and falling short this gen.

Also one big way $ony can get more money despite if people like it or not, is by charging for PSN. And yes I believe they will do what they got to do.

desyple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 desyple
What really annoys me is the lack of avatars. I mean there must be about 40 or so? Why cant Sony add any more, the current selection they have is crap. We need some sackboy avatars!-DrRobotnik-
true
Krigon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Krigon
Member since 2005 • 5591 Posts

as long as m0dus keeps on making themes i don't care. :)

m0dus has created the best MGS theme available :D

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#50 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts

[QUOTE="Toriko42"]I like the 360 themes better, thosea aren't nice to look at. I like the 360 themes cause they change with each blade.SolidTy

The PS3 Themes rotate pics as well. Plus the ICONS change, and you get new sound effects. Do you have a PS3 to compare, or are you just guessing?

I see my friends PS3 a lot, I do like his wallpapers and stuff but I just like the dash on the 360 better and the themes.