PSN is hosed, hackers are going to take over.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 markinthedark
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

I was reading the web, trying to understand a little more about the recent PS3 hack... and i found a post from someone that presumably understands the issue in this thread explaining the significance of the hack in layman's terms...

Well, the master key has been found. I won't post it here, but I'm sure it'll be freely available on the Internet in a few hours, if not now.

If you're not a programmer it's useless to you, however if you are, you just got handed the keys to the kingdom. It's a cryptographic system of private and public key. Public key is used to run software, private key is used to sign it. You can't sign anything without a private key, and you can't run anything that isn't signed with a private key.

This enables you to sign anything you like and make the console run it as if it came from Sony. Even worse, it enables you to decrypt everything that has been signed with the private key, analyze it, modify it, and resign it to make it run on the console. This means:

1. Custom firmware (unpatchable)
2. Custom software (unpatchable)
3. Full access to all console functionality
4. Being able to change unique console ID (making it impossible to ban anyone on PSN)

Basically it opens the pandora's box. Complete meltdown for Sony.

---

The master key, the one used to sign ALL PS3 software to verify to the console that it's genuine, the key that is hardcoded (as in etched, unchangeable) into the master processor itself has been COMPROMISED, leaked, released in the wild.

This means you can code anything you like and use the key to sign it and the console will accept it as if it came from God (Sony) himself. There's no way to patch that hole, because technically it's not hacking, it's using Sony's own master key to sign your code, making it indistinguishable from the original.

There's literally no way they can fix this.

---

How big is this problem? Think JTAG Xboxes, but MUCH MUCH worse. Typically JTAG Xboxes can last only around 2 hours in the wild before they get banned. But now, every PS3 out there will be able to perform like an Xbox JTAG, without being able to get banned.

Sony will have to implement a sort of a PunkBuster anti-cheat system across the board, and won't be able to get it up an running for at least 6 months or more, and in the meantime you'll have cheaters paradise on PSN.

This will almost certainly be reported all over the gaming media, which is a complete disaster for Sony.

Seriously, for those that still don't get it - this is absolutely the worst possible scenario that could have happened for Sony, period.

Summary: Basically, unlike jtagged xbox's that get banned for going online... PS3 owners in the know are now able to hack games and play online as much as they want without any possibility of having their console banned. Seems like a pretty major issue im surprised isnt getting much attention... maybe because most folks like myself think this is just run of the mill console hacking, when it appears to have much worse implications.... thoughts?

EDIT: thread title edited for more clicks :P

MODERATOR'S NOTE: When the subject is legally questionable like this one is, especially in relation to Gamespot's Terms of Use, please be sure to link directly to the Gamespot news article on the subject. This will help our moderators to determine if a subject like this is appropriate and whether mentions of things like CFW are allowable in the context of the news.

Here are the appropriate articles to link in the case of this story:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6286071.html

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6286248.html

XboximusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 XboximusPrime
Member since 2009 • 5405 Posts

Well se what happens. As long as it dont effect my gaming.

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

To be honest Whatever

TheMoreYouOwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheMoreYouOwn
Member since 2010 • 3927 Posts
PS3 gaming will continue, as usual. The vast majority of users don't indulge in this stuff.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

:roll:

Hacks and cheating exist to an extreme degree now on both psn and xbox live...I wish people would stop making this stuff up as they go along *as in that thread*
This doesn't really mean more for the hacks just the unbanning which is harder but possible on the 360...

kussese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 kussese
Member since 2008 • 1555 Posts

Honestly, I'm not that concerned since I don't play online very often. It could be annoying once KZ3 comes out, though.

Twin-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Twin-Blade
Member since 2005 • 6806 Posts

No idea if this would work, but what about releasing patches & software with new private keys? People that would want to play new games would have to have an unmodified console or something? Is that possible or am I just sounding really naive?

XboximusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 XboximusPrime

Can someone explain to me why i shoudl really care about this or why this is a big deal? people are acting like this is gonna kill Sony or something. I mainly think people are jsut gonna use this to readd linux to their PS3. can i now potential get a PS3 virus through the internet or the browser?

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Dont really care about this stuff, i'll still buy my games and enjoy ps3.

metswonin69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 metswonin69
Member since 2006 • 1083 Posts

So how does this affect normal people that play the PS3?

markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 markinthedark

No idea if this would work, but what about releasing patches & software with new private keys? People that would want to play new games would have to have an unmodified console or something? Is that possible or am I just sounding really naive?

Twin-Blade

from what ive been reading the private key cant be patched... the only solution would to be to recall all PS3s on the market... as its hardcoded in the the physical components themselves.

TheMoreYouOwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheMoreYouOwn

Can someone explain to me why i shoudl really care about this or why this is a big deal? people are acting like this is gonna kill Sony or something. I mainly think people are jsut gonna use this to readd linux to their PS3. can i now potential get a PS3 virus through the internet or the browser?

XboximusPrime

Lems are just creating an "end of the Sony world" scenerio and jumping for joy now that psn has joined Live in the hack zone. Nothing more than that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

metswonin69
basically: your quick fun game of COD can now be ruined by an aimbotting hacker in god mode with noclip.
Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

Twin-Blade
No, because the consoles do NOT need to be modified for the hacking... this is because any program written can be signed, which means 'validated' by sony's private key, and the PS3 will read the program, and do what it asks because the PS3 will think it was written by sony employees and signed with the secret private key that ONLY sony has. In other words, they can make anything they want and the ps3 will think its perfectly legit, not having to bypass any of the security features because it is actually legit code.
Twin-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Twin-Blade
Member since 2005 • 6806 Posts

XboximusPrime

Have a read up on the PS3 Black Ops board. Supposedly hackers in BlackOps not only hack so that they win & unlock things for themselves, but are able to change things on other players accounts that are in the same game & lobby. Things like clan names, titles & the like. I heard they can unlock certain titles & ranks/pictures (I'm not sure of the terms. I haven't played Bops) of other players, which I guess isn't so bad if you don't want to do it the legit way. But they mainly ruin the multiplayer aspect of the game.

lucky_star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lucky_star
Member since 2003 • 2307 Posts

Somehow this feels like its being blown way out of proportion IMO.

Shouldn't we have ps3 games on torrent sites already? Have a nice day downloading those ISOs.

People starting these threads remind me of all the doomsday 2012 etc tinfoil conspiracy loons.

Before you make these threads could we wait until we get any proof that the possible "hacks"and mods are actually working in practice b4 PSN users can start being worried?

metswonin69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 metswonin69
Member since 2006 • 1083 Posts
[QUOTE="metswonin69"]

ferret-gamer
basically: your quick fun game of COD can now be ruined by an aimbotting hacker in god mode with noclip.

Has this started happening to people on this board?
Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Kashiwaba
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts

[QUOTE="Twin-Blade"]

markinthedark

from what ive been reading the private key cant be patched... the only solution would to be to recall all PS3s on the market... as its hardcoded in the the physical components themselves.

Ya I remember people were saying the same thing last Feb when the infamous error happened and in just 1 day everything returned to normal I'm sure hackers are just exaggerating it most likely it will be another PSP case you can use a custom firmware on your PS3 but if you want to go online then you have to remove it and thats what I got from PS3-hacks.com if you want to log on PSN you should unload the custom firmware.

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Hakkai007
Member since 2005 • 4905 Posts

basically: your quick fun game of COD can now be ruined by an aimbotting hacker in god mode with noclip.ferret-gamer

Basically this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYGlWjIKoY4

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"][QUOTE="metswonin69"]

metswonin69

Has this started happening to people on this board?

there was actually a thread about a hacker on ps3 cod a day or two ago.
XboximusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 XboximusPrime

[QUOTE="XboximusPrime"]

Twin-Blade

Have a read up on the PS3 Black Ops board. Supposedly hackers in BlackOps not only hack so that they win & unlock things for themselves, but are able to change things on other players accounts that are in the same game & lobby. Things like clan names, titles & the like. I heard they can unlock certain titles & ranks/pictures (I'm not sure of the terms. I haven't played Bops) of other players, which I guess isn't so bad if you don't want to do it the legit way. But they mainly ruin the multiplayer aspect of the game.

well, i dont do multiplayer so that dosent effect me personaly, but that does kinda suck.

TheMoreYouOwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheMoreYouOwn

Shouldn't we have ps3 games on torrent sites already? Have a nice day downloading those ISOs.

People starting these threads remind me of all the doomsday 2012 etc tinfoil conspiracy loons.

Before you make these threads could we wait until we get any proof that the possible "hacks"and mods are actually working in practice b4 PSN users can start being worried?

lucky_star

It is. Waaay out of proportion.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
Anything is *possible*, but until someone makes it a) easy and b) widely available, not much will really change. They keys are out there though with infinite possibilites though, yeah.
markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 markinthedark

[QUOTE="lucky_star"]

TheMoreYouOwn

It is. Waaay out of proportion.

in a few weeks once people start making programs available to general public, it will be known. But unlike a jtagg'd xboxs which are easily detected and banned rather quickly. These hacks will be undetectable. Thats really the main difference as far as i can tell.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts
[QUOTE="lucky_star"]

What i'd be worried bout is using the web browser, going to some website that executes legit code and takes control of your console. completely possible. But don't kid yourself, this is a major problem for Sony, it invalidates every security measure they attempted. Not to say that PSN will get hacked right away, because they still have control over their own servers. hackers will have the ability to make any program they want for the PS3 and install it with just a dvd in the drive, and PS3 will think it was made by sony and accepts the install. hackers will have the ability to decrypt game discs (eventually) and make mods the the game code (mostly still in binary so it won't be a simple task) then resign the disc and run them as legit games. hackers can install any OS they wish, as if it was an open source computer. they can create a game loader that can run any game burned to disc from online or copied from a rental store. they can allow games that are small to be burned to DVD and signed which will allow them to be run as a legit game, only burned to dvd. they can install better media center apps and container/codec support for any and all of the popular media formats. they can enable mkv support and streaming from your PC directly. they have thea bility to downgrade your PS3 to any version you want, and it will accept it like it came from sony HQ. they can take control of your console via a virus that installs iwth some other random app the user tried to install they can install any PSN title as if it were bought and downloaded over PSN game develoeprs game content will become available to the general public, which may in fact reduce their desire to make multiplatform games on such an insecure console (this is a big maybe, but completely possible) In the end, there are a lot of crazy things that can be done with the PS3 and a lot of dangerous things. The biggest thing to note is that any user who wants to do stuff to their console does NOT have to hack it or modify it in any way, as any program being installed will have sonys validatation (signed by their private key). Sony is completely unable to change this because those keys are widely used, and invalidating that pair of keys (both private and public) will prevent current games sold in stores from working on any PS3. There is no way for them to verify code and apps are truly legit or not and this will make it UBER hard for them to block those programs. Now that hackers have access to all the software, any bans sony puts on can be undone, or prevented to begin with, incluidng PSN bans. Even MAC address blocking of a specific console will not work as the MAC can be spoofed with a program some hacker decides to write, making it PSN capable again. While all of Sony's security measures are still perfectly intact on all the consoles, they are completely bypassed the same way any store bought game is allowed to be run from the disc. This IS a serious worst case scenario, and the sad part is that it all came from one mistake sony made, by not randomizing the variables used in the private/public key generationg algorithms, which is common practise when setting up that kind of system. Some one made a small mistake, which is on all PS3 consoles, and in the end brought down everything they tried to prevent in the first place. A small mistake with gigantic consequences. Sony is sweating buckets right now, as the 'jailbreak' devices are literally nothing compared to this problem. And this will affect developers choices when it comes to multiplatforming a game or staying exclusive as games will be pirated worse than iphone apps.
poorfamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 poorfamz
Member since 2010 • 303 Posts
Y'all acting like Sony is not holding a group meeting right now, talking about the PS3's secret self destruct security button
markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 markinthedark

[QUOTE="lucky_star"]

Phazevariance

What i'd be worried bout is using the web browser, going to some website that executes legit code and takes control of your console. completely possible. But don't kid yourself, this is a major problem for Sony, it invalidates every security measure they attempted. Not to say that PSN will get hacked right away, because they still have control over their own servers. hackers will have the ability to make any program they want for the PS3 and install it with just a dvd in the drive, and PS3 will think it was made by sony and accepts the install. hackers will have the ability to decrypt game discs (eventually) and make mods the the game code (mostly still in binary so it won't be a simple task) then resign the disc and run them as legit games. hackers can install any OS they wish, as if it was an open source computer. they can create a game loader that can run any game burned to disc from online or copied from a rental store. they can allow games that are small to be burned to DVD and signed which will allow them to be run as a legit game, only burned to dvd. they can install better media center apps and container/codec support for any and all of the popular media formats. they can enable mkv support and streaming from your PC directly. they have thea bility to downgrade your PS3 to any version you want, and it will accept it like it came from sony HQ. they can take control of your console via a virus that installs iwth some other random app the user tried to install they can install any PSN title as if it were bought and downloaded over PSN game develoeprs game content will become available to the general public, which may in fact reduce their desire to make multiplatform games on such an insecure console (this is a big maybe, but completely possible) In the end, there are a lot of crazy things that can be done with the PS3 and a lot of dangerous things. The biggest thing to note is that any user who wants to do stuff to their console does NOT have to hack it or modify it in any way, as any program being installed will have sonys validatation (signed by their private key). Sony is completely unable to change this because those keys are widely used, and invalidating that pair of keys (both private and public) will prevent current games sold in stores from working on any PS3. There is no way for them to verify code and apps are truly legit or not and this will make it UBER hard for them to block those programs. Now that hackers have access to all the software, any bans sony puts on can be undone, or prevented to begin with, incluidng PSN bans. Even MAC address blocking of a specific console will not work as the MAC can be spoofed with a program some hacker decides to write, making it PSN capable again. While all of Sony's security measures are still perfectly intact on all the consoles, they are completely bypassed the same way any store bought game is allowed to be run from the disc. This IS a serious worst case scenario, and the sad part is that it all came from one mistake sony made, by not randomizing the variables used in the private/public key generationg algorithms, which is common practise when setting up that kind of system. Some one made a small mistake, which is on all PS3 consoles, and in the end brought down everything they tried to prevent in the first place. A small mistake with gigantic consequences. Sony is sweating buckets right now, as the 'jailbreak' devices are literally nothing compared to this problem. And this will affect developers choices when it comes to multiplatforming a game or staying exclusive as games will be pirated worse than iphone apps.

geez, i was just thinking about cheating online... but i guess the PS3 is kinda like a PC..... back before they had anti-virus software... and CD keys to validate games and such.

gonna be kind of like the old wild west of PC days. Maybe Norton will start making anti-virus software for the ps3. Seems like online cheaters is probably the least of sony's worries.

I was just thinking of 12 year olds with aimbots.

maybe this will be the catalyst to get next gen underway sooner rather than later.

USS_Data

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 USS_Data
Member since 2010 • 543 Posts

You people do realize there is already a custom 3.55 custom firmware availble to download which allows you to access PSN and you don't need the Jailbreak USB stick anymore with that custom firmware. The only thing it doesn't do yet is play downloaded games but that is just a matter of time.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
sorry... I'm not that rich but I will continue pay game that I purchase
themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 themyth01
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
Autoaim and other hacks should be able to run in the wild now. Let's hope they take refuge in CoD and let us be cheat-free in other games...
Domobomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Domobomb
Member since 2004 • 1914 Posts

Good luck writing code for the cell, lol.

BodyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BodyElite
Member since 2009 • 2678 Posts

[QUOTE="XboximusPrime"]

TheMoreYouOwn

Lems are just creating an "end of the Sony world" scenerio and jumping for joy now that psn has joined Live in the hack zone. Nothing more than that.

MS targets and bans within 1-2 hours of logging into Lice with modded (jtag'd) Xbox. That's why the people that do this never log online Sony can't ban these hackers apparently. So yes, soon PSN will be pandemonium
waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

Good luck writing code for the cell, lol.

Domobomb

It all makes sense now. Briliant, Sony, briliant.

walkingdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 walkingdream
Member since 2009 • 4883 Posts

[QUOTE="XboximusPrime"]

TheMoreYouOwn

Except the for the fact people are banned from Xbox live who do have modded consoles ;)
USS_Data

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 USS_Data

[QUOTE="TheMoreYouOwn"]

[QUOTE="XboximusPrime"]

BodyElite

MS targets and bans within 1-2 hours of logging into Lice with modded (jtag'd) Xbox. That's why the people that do this never log online Sony can't ban these hackers apparently. So yes, soon PSN will be pandemonium

Yes except there have been stealth parches for 360 games which make it undetecteble for MS to see if you're using and illegal game or not. Seriously some people have no clue what they are talking about.

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 waltefmoney

Yes except there have been stealth parches for 360 games which make it undetecteble for MS to see if you're using and illegal game or not. Seriously some people have no clue what they are talking about.

USS_Data

Stealth patches are detectable.. Microsoft detects them within a few weeks.

dvalo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dvalo9
Member since 2010 • 1301 Posts
[QUOTE="metswonin69"]

ferret-gamer

Can someone answer WHY do people use this? it just takes away the purpose of multiplayer.
USS_Data

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 USS_Data

[QUOTE="USS_Data"]

waltefmoney

Stealth patches are detectable.. Microsoft detects them within a few weeks.

and then the hackers will come up with a new patch it's just an endless cycle which can't be beaten.

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 waltefmoney

and then the hackers will come up with a new patch it's just an endless cycle which can't be beaten.

USS_Data

Yes, after they get their console banned. Basically throwing at least 200 dollars down the drain. Brilliant. Who would be stupid enough to keep buying new consoles, then modding them, then playing a few weeks of XBL and being banned? Most people with modded consoles don't even connect to Xbox Live.

USS_Data

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 USS_Data

[QUOTE="USS_Data"]

waltefmoney

Yes, after they get their console banned. Basically throwing at least 200 dollars down the drain. Brilliant. Who would be stupid enough to keep buying new consoles, then modding them, then playing a few weeks of XBL and being banned? Most people with modded consoles don't even connect to Xbox Live.

Well there you have you answer where all the sales for the 360 come from. Most people are stupid enough to buy a new console and you don't even need to open up the 360 to mod it all you have to do is flash the diskdrive which you can do yourself.

iMojo786_PSN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 iMojo786_PSN
Member since 2010 • 1641 Posts

will i still be able to play Mass Effect 2 and LBP2 this january 21st?

Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

iMojo786_PSN

Sure thing, it will not affect single player games in any way. Playing online will be hack fest though, especially COD.

iMojo786_PSN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 iMojo786_PSN
Member since 2010 • 1641 Posts

[QUOTE="iMojo786_PSN"]

Sagem28

Sure thing, it will not affect single player games in any way. Playing online will be hack fest though, especially COD.

LBP is more of an online game for me :x

and their are already people hacking on COD

Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

[QUOTE="Sagem28"]

[QUOTE="iMojo786_PSN"]

iMojo786_PSN

LBP is more of an online game for me :x

and their are already people hacking on COD

Somehow I don't think you need to worry about LBP2 getting hacked, it really isn't that competitive of a game. Like I said; COD will get the full blow with people using aimbots, infinite ammo, etc.

broken_ops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 broken_ops
Member since 2011 • 183 Posts

Dont really care about this stuff, i'll still buy my games and enjoy ps3.

finalstar2007

yeah see if you're still saying that when you're playing online and encounter hackers. you should care and hope something gets done about this, that is of course if something actually can be done

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
Can someone answer WHY do people use this? it just takes away the purpose of multiplayer.dvalo9
Because they can. You must be new to the world.
waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 waltefmoney

Well there you have you answer where all the sales for the 360 come from. Most people are stupid enough to buy a new console and you don't even need to open up the 360 to mod it all you have to do is flash the diskdrive which you can do yourself.

USS_Data

So people who don't have enough money to buy games have enough money to buy a new console every few months? Brilliant.

rubedisky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 rubedisky
Member since 2009 • 1024 Posts

[QUOTE="USS_Data"]

waltefmoney

So people who don't have enough money to buy games have enough money to buy a new console every few months? Brilliant.

they are bored and haking is their hobby. THey always search a challenge. It's sad.
waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 waltefmoney

they are bored and haking is their hobby. THey always search a challenge. It's sad.rubedisky

Well there you have you answer where all the sales for the 360 come from.

USS_Data

Interesting. According to him, all the 360 owners are genius hackers with trucks full of money that do nothing but exploit the system all day, and never buy games. And this is just some PR mumbo jumbo.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts

How many times has someone predicted the doom of the PS3 since the start of this gen? how many times has it became true?