PS4's DualShock 4 going to be the final, definite controller for PC games

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DrTrafalgarLaw
Member since 2011 • 4487 Posts

According to Redditor dzle, the developers of Galak-Z confirmed last weekend at PAX Prime in Seattle that all PlayStation 4 controllers will work on computers simply by plugging them in via the micro-usb connector without any finagling. It is also reported that the touchpad will also be able to be mapped like the touchpad on your everyday laptop. If this all comes to be true, the PlayStation 4 may just become the next generation controller you have to have for PC gaming.

According to the Redditor, Galak-Z currently is not stable on the PS4. Thus they had PCs with DS4s [Dualshock 4's] on the show floor running the game. I asked if this implied the PS4 controller works on PC, which he said yes it works as a regular USB controller. Also implying that the PlayStation 4s Dualshock 4 will work as a simple plug-and-play controller, possibly even with bluetooth (if were lucky.)

As it stands, most gamers prefer the Xbox 360 controller for the most comfortable computer gaming well have to see how that opinion fares come November 22nd when both competitors consoles go head to head.

Weve reached out to Galak-Z and Sony to confirm this and will update should we hear back.

http://levelsave.com/playstation-4s-...ork-computers/

If the the touchpad could mapped to mouse movement on PC, this would be the ultimate gaming PC controller.

This sounds awesome, even for PC gamers. General consensus is that the XB1 controller suck ass this gen around.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

Good if true.

Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts

Sure hope this is real. That'd be great.

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts

Oh, I like it. I want it to be true. Touch pad is big extra addition as a person who is used to it on a laptop.

DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DrTrafalgarLaw

The way Yoshida was talking about it on Twitter, it seems only the standard controls will work and not the extra stuff like the touchpad/motion controls. Which is fine with me. I've been using MotioninJoy for my Dualshock 3 and it works fine, but it'll be nice not to use a middleman anymore.

Slashkice

It's confirmed you can click on the touchpad and it registers as a button on PC. This means they'd only need the drivers put in for full touchpad functionality.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

""most gamers prefer the Xbox 360 controller for the most comfortable computer gaming ""

sheens: bubububbu the 360 controller sucks no one likes it.

Infact The TC has said this on multiple occasions. 

Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts

Well that is just brilliant. Good job Sony

Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Douevenlift_bro

""most gamers prefer the Xbox 360 controller for the most comfortable computer gaming ""

WilliamRLBaker

You're hurt.

NameIess_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NameIess_One
Member since 2013 • 1077 Posts

That's cool, gaming on my laptop is pretty clunky, and I could use a good controller.

Until then, will stick with this old DS3 of mine, with MotionJoy.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Snugenz

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

Douevenlift_bro

You're hurt.

Maybe, but he's not wrong.

LA-Nighthawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LA-Nighthawk
Member since 2013 • 335 Posts
Xbox One controller looks way better.
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Douevenlift_bro

[QUOTE="Douevenlift_bro"]

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

Snugenz

You're hurt.

He is wrong, many people prefered 360 controller to DS3 for FPS thats just true.  I prefer DS3 as thats not all I play

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Waitin' on dat Xbox One controller to drop

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Snugenz

[QUOTE="Snugenz"]

[QUOTE="Douevenlift_bro"]You're hurt.

Douevenlift_bro

He is wrong, many people prefered 360 controller to DS3 for FPS thats just true.  I prefer DS3 as thats not all I play

People prefer the 360 controller for more than just FPS, but ofc you would put a fanboy twist on it, wouldn't ya.

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Xaero_Gravity
Member since 2011 • 9856 Posts
This sounds aweome. Hopefully I find it as comfortable as the 360 controller.
StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

The way Yoshida was talking about it on Twitter, it seems only the standard controls will work and not the extra stuff like the touchpad/motion controls. Which is fine with me. I've been using MotioninJoy for my Dualshock 3 and it works fine, but it'll be nice not to use a middleman anymore.

Slashkice
Ever since Installing Motioninjoy, I can no longer charge my Dualshock in my laptop while playing PS3 at the same time. If I try to plug it into my laptop, it de-syncs the Dualshock from the PS3, and I have to physically re-sync it to the PS3 with the cord. I even uninstalled that shit off my computer, and I could never get it back to normal. BTW, for the love of god I hope Sony finally decided to add an auto sync button on the DS4.
Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Snugenz

Steambox is just pointless now.

Gue1

Not at all actually.

Though i'm gonna go ahead and assume that you don't really understand what Steambox is.

LA-Nighthawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LA-Nighthawk
Member since 2013 • 335 Posts

Gue1
The steambox prototype has insane hardware. Makes PS4 and Xbox One look like a joke.
DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DrTrafalgarLaw

WilliamRLBaker

The 360 D-pad still sucks ass for let's say Super Street Fighter IV AE, Injuctice and (indie) platformers. No self-respecting PC gamer would use a controller to play a shooter on PC.

Get out of this thread. Now.

DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DrTrafalgarLaw

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

Snugenz

Not at all actually.

Though i'm gonna go ahead and assume that you don't really understand what Steambox is.

But you do?
Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Snugenz

[QUOTE="Snugenz"]

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

DrTrafalgarLaw

Not at all actually.

But you do?

It's a Steam branded PC with a Steam OS.

It's not rocket surgery.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17451 Posts

[QUOTE="Slashkice"]

DrTrafalgarLaw

It's confirmed you can click on the touchpad and it registers as a button on PC. This means they'd only need the drivers put in for full touchpad functionality.

And that, in itself, is part of the problem Newer (Windows Vista and up) come with the drivers pre-installed, or are a part of the automatic USB driver updates when it is detected. Since MS is the creator of both, we know there will be full compatibility like apple products, or PS3/Vita Will we have to depend on Sony releasing and updating firmware that is fully compatible with all versions of Windows? Or worse, will it be done by 3rd parties? That is what will hold back PS4 controller from being universally used.
treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

DrTrafalgarLaw

The 360 D-pad still sucks ass for let's say Super Street Fighter IV AE, Injuctice and (indie) platformers. No self-respecting PC gamer would use a controller to play a shooter on PC.

Luckily the Xbox One has a vastly improved D-Pad in addition to zero dead zone on the joysticks, and the new impulse triggers.

It'll be the hardcore gamer's choice :cool:

danten81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 danten81
Member since 2013 • 328 Posts
Good, most PC gamers use keyboard/mouse for shooters, and we need a useable dpad for sidescrollers and fighters.
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

People will just continue to use the Xbox 360 controller.  PC gamers will continue using the mouse & keyboard for FPS.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#28 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts
If it were to be the definitive option, it would have to have different stick placement.
DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DrTrafalgarLaw

[QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"]

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

treedoor

Luckily the Xbox One has a vastly improved D-Pad in addition to zero dead zone on the joysticks, and the new impulse triggers.

Nope.avi
General consensus on XB1 controller;

• The controller is very, very, very unergonomical compared to X360. It's smaller, the feeling is kind of like you are using a DualShock3.
  • The move distance of sticks is a little bit smaller, than the one in X360. I really thought about PS Vita sticks while playing.
  • Bumpers are totally connected to triggers. There isn't any piece of plastic (like in DS4) in-between trigger and bumper (clearly seen on video I edited in) so in 30-40% maybe you would miss the trigger and hit the bumper.
  • The vibration is a lot less than on X360.
  • The D-Pad is deepened into controller and it's really awkward. As in X360, DS3, DS4 it's slightly above the surface of controller. So while you try to press it on XBO gamepad moving your left thumb down from left stick you hit nothing, then you have to spend a second to find d-pad and actually press it. Really strange.
Radical_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Radical_6
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="treedoor"]

[QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"] The 360 D-pad still sucks ass for let's say Super Street Fighter IV AE, Injuctice and (indie) platformers. No self-respecting PC gamer would use a controller to play a shooter on PC.

DrTrafalgarLaw

Nope.avi

The controller is very, very, very unergonomical compared to X360. It's smaller, the feeling is kind of like you are using a DualShock3.The move distance of sticks is a little bit smaller, than the one in X360. I really thought about PS Vita sticks while playing.Bumpers are totally connected to triggers. There isn't any piece of plastic (like in DS4) in-between trigger and bumper (clearly seen on video I edited in) so in 30-40% maybe you would miss the trigger and hit the bumper.The vibration is a lot less than on X360.The D-Pad is deepened into controller and it's really awkward. As in X360, DS3, DS4 it's slightly above the surface of controller. So while you try to press it on XBO gamepad moving your left thumb down from left stick you hit nothing, then you have to spend a second to find d-pad and actually press it. Really strange.

Sorry but you're the last person anyone should believe when it comes to anything Microsoft related.
danten81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 danten81
Member since 2013 • 328 Posts

People will just continue to use the Xbox 360 controller.  PC gamers will continue using the mouse & keyboard for FPS.

blackace
Using the 360 pad on PC shows how awful the deadzone really is. I prefer playing racers with DS3/Motioninjoy, just for that. That pad was made for shooters w/ aim assist.
DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DrTrafalgarLaw
[QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"]

[QUOTE="treedoor"]

Radical_6

Nope.avi

The controller is very, very, very unergonomical compared to X360. It's smaller, the feeling is kind of like you are using a DualShock3.The move distance of sticks is a little bit smaller, than the one in X360. I really thought about PS Vita sticks while playing.Bumpers are totally connected to triggers. There isn't any piece of plastic (like in DS4) in-between trigger and bumper (clearly seen on video I edited in) so in 30-40% maybe you would miss the trigger and hit the bumper.The vibration is a lot less than on X360.The D-Pad is deepened into controller and it's really awkward. As in X360, DS3, DS4 it's slightly above the surface of controller. So while you try to press it on XBO gamepad moving your left thumb down from left stick you hit nothing, then you have to spend a second to find d-pad and actually press it. Really strange.

Sorry but you're the last person anyone should believe when it comes to anything Microsoft related.

Got banned already? Keep the butthurt coming. :cool:
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

Xbox One controller looks way better. LA-Nighthawk

So far the only 2 things I'm questioning is the small size and how the d-pad is embedded into the controller. The NEW XBox 360 controller has the D-Pad higher up and it feels great. Not sure why they didn't still with this. The only things I'm questions about the PS4 controller is analog sticks and triggers. I'm glad the controller is a bit larger now. I don't know about the touchpad either. I question it's location and if it will interfer with normal gameplay.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I'll probably stick to the 360 controller. The PS4 & XBone controllers don't seem like they will be any better than it.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17451 Posts

[QUOTE="treedoor"]

[QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"] The 360 D-pad still sucks ass for let's say Super Street Fighter IV AE, Injuctice and (indie) platformers. No self-respecting PC gamer would use a controller to play a shooter on PC.

DrTrafalgarLaw

Nope.avi

• The controller is very, very, very unergonomical compared to X360. It's smaller, the feeling is kind of like you are using a DualShock3.
  • The move distance of sticks is a little bit smaller, than the one in X360. I really thought about PS Vita sticks while playing.
  • Bumpers are totally connected to triggers. There isn't any piece of plastic (like in DS4) in-between trigger and bumper (clearly seen on video I edited in) so in 30-40% maybe you would miss the trigger and hit the bumper.
  • The D-Pad is deepened into controller and it's really awkward. As in X360, DS3, DS4 it's slightly above the surface of controller. So while you try to press it on XBO gamepad moving your left thumb down from left stick you hit nothing, then you have to spend a second to find d-pad and actually press it. Really strange.

That was one guys opinion............NOT a general consensus. Most E3 reports on the controller have been positive.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
I'll stick with the 360 pad I have now.
Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#37 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts
I want it plug-and-play and fully supported by every next-gen game like the 360 controller this gen.
Wiimotefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Wiimotefan
Member since 2010 • 4151 Posts

That'd be great, I hated jumping through hoops to get the DS3 working on PC.  

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
Oh yeeahh!!
silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
Never been excited to try a controller like im for DS4. This thing will be da bomb for my pc and ps4
Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Mr-Kutaragi
Member since 2013 • 2466 Posts
of course
sebbi11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 sebbi11
Member since 2004 • 1190 Posts

[QUOTE="treedoor"]

DrTrafalgarLaw

Nope.avi

lol, so much bullshit... a very, very, very juvenile text, even for a cow.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts
Sweet news, the DS4 will easily take the top spot for my PC gaming controller needs (which is rare but it does happen of course).
dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

Hmm, wonder how this will work with tablets & phones.

There really is no standard gampad for those systems yet. If Sony could grab them it could be a huge victory.

Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Led_poison
Member since 2004 • 10146 Posts
I need something wireless, will work over bluetooth?, If not, ill just try Vavles controller.
Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#46 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts
i hope its true too! I hate having to fuss with joy2key and all those stupid programs just to get my dual shock working on pc. The only reason i use the incredibly horrible 360 controller for pc is because its plug and play and supported by games. If my old saitek ps2 era controller still worked in post 2006 games I would still be using that , as DS3 is too much trouble. it is this reason that I tend to not buy controller only games on PC as much (although trails gold and rogue legacy I had to have).
Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#47 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts
Yep, saw this today at an Expo. Used PS4 controller to play NFS Rivals on a gaming rig.
XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 XxR3m1xInHDn3D
Member since 2013 • 2365 Posts
"According to the redditor" rofl