PS4 Pro: Power Consumption, Heat & Noise Tested!

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20105 Posts
  • Well under 300W consumption
  • 75W when on the menu with a game installing from disc
  • 71W when downloading with no disc
  • 58W in rest mode
  • Project cars without patch 104W
  • Infamous First Light 4K 155W vs 148W launch PS4 1080p
  • Fan noise is on par with the launch PS4
  • Temp tops out at 42 degrees Celsius or 107 degrees Fahrenheit
Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7704 Posts

Too bad about the noise, otherwise sounds good

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

A bit disappointed with the noise levels but everything else sounds good.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

Push Square reviewed it and said it's the quietest PS4 yet and recognised that Digital Foundry said the opposite but figured it might differ from one unit to another.

That can't be right, can it? Either they are all loud or none of them are. Couple of other reviews said the Pro was almost silent as well. Maybe DF got a bad unit?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56109 Posts

Everything looks nice from what I seen. Noise is no concern for me because I always turn up my speakers and even on my PC, I always wear my headphones for that matter so with that, everything sounds good.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@blueinheaven said:

Push Square reviewed it and said it's the quietest PS4 yet and recognised that Digital Foundry said the opposite but figured it might differ from one unit to another.

That can't be right, can it? Either they are all loud or none of them are. Couple of other reviews said the Pro was almost silent as well. Maybe DF got a bad unit?

I dunno, my PS4 is much quieter than some tests I've read - even under heavy load. I know some people on here are rabid about their noise levels, and yet mine is definitely not the loudest console I've owned. I wonder if across their base and Pro units there are some QC issues?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DaVillain  Moderator

@xantufrog said:
@blueinheaven said:

I dunno, my PS4 is much quieter than some tests I've read - even under heavy load. I know some people on here are rabid about their noise levels, and yet mine is definitely not the loudest console I've owned. I wonder if across their base and Pro units there are some QC issues?

Even my launch PS4, I can barely hear the damn thing at all. Even playing heavy exclusive games such as Uncharted 4, I still don't hear any loud noise.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 blueinheaven

@xantufrog said:
@blueinheaven said:

I suppose that might be possible. My PS4 is loud when it boots up or first starts reading a game but after that it doesn't bother me at all, it's pretty quiet. There is definitely disparity between reviews of the Pro though. It's worrying to think QC issues might exist on a product like this which you would hope would be tested to death before they even thought of releasing it.

Maybe the review units aren't quite final product?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@davillain-: same here. OG PS3, 360 were louder than my unit. It does have a higher pitch due to the smaller fan, so people may be mistaking tone for volume? But even then - the dB readings I have (from admittedly flawed phone apps) are nowhere in the range of some reports I've seen, while at the same time appearing quite accurate for "rule of thumb" values in different circumstances (e.g., the dB for a normal conversation and distance X).

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DaVillain  Moderator

@xantufrog: My best guess most people sit there PS4 vertical? I have never set any of my consoles vertical so I don't know if it effects the fan noise.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 blueinheaven

@davillain- said:

@xantufrog: My best guess most people sit there PS4 vertical? I have never set any of my consoles vertical so I don't know if it effects the fan noise.

Why would anyone sit a console vertical? All consoles horizontal for me, PC system units always vertical. Maybe I'm weird?

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

so it consumes less power has a bigger chasis and yet it's just as loud as vanilla ps4, lol sony engineering

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

One advantage of using a larger fan and ventilation area on the Xbox One, whereas are are smaller fan needs to spin a lot faster to move as much air. Hopefully future models are are mindful of that and solve loud noise issues, or just run cooler.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

The noise never bothered me so doubt it will now.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Vanilla ps4 noise never bothered me so i am fine with that.Besides my PC is way louder.

I either play with headphones or turn my speakers high enough to drown any external sounds.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#16 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9730 Posts

This source says its not loud.

PS4 Pro is actually quieter than the PS4 Slim

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52429 Posts

Mine's pretty quiet.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

Some people are just more sensitive to noise then others.

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

My pro is virtually silent the heat is mainly at the back and cool at the front where the disk drive is.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Silent? ppssshhaawww

I want my consoles to be huge and loud. I want the whole room to know that console is there and it's taken over.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

lo :P

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Still installing games on mine, but I'm sure as hell going to notice if the fan noise gets annoyingly loud. My old white unit is obnoxiously loud (gonna change the thermal paste as soon as I get the stuff to do it), I really hope my Pro isn't one of those noisy mother******, because that **** is annoying as ****. I don't want to wear my headphones all the time I play my Playstation for ****'s sake!

Don't care about power consumption at the moment since my electric bill is always the same 30 euros, it doesn't matter how much I consume.

Edit: Just played some BF1, no fan noise here, **** YES!

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

@davillain- said:

Everything looks nice from what I seen. Noise is no concern for me because I always turn up my speakers and even on my PC, I always wear my headphones for that matter so with that, everything sounds good.

Ditto. I'm not sure how one can be concerned w/ noise unless you play with the sound muted/super low. I love hearing the sounds fx, voice overs, and soundtracks. Maybe most others don't?

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

I just picked mine up. I dunno what it sounds like yet because I haven't turned it on yet. Hopefully when I get home and plug it in it won't be one of the loud ones. My launch PS4 I traded in was pretty quiet, it only got noisy when I was playing some VR games or Uncharted 4.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

@shellcase86 said:
@davillain- said:

Ditto. I'm not sure how one can be concerned w/ noise unless you play with the sound muted/super low. I love hearing the sounds fx, voice overs, and soundtracks. Maybe most others don't?

There's certain games and movies where silence gives you a better immersive experience. Once you notice a constant noise from the console or player you're using during these silent parts, it could really get annoying and take you out the experience. This is why there's people who are audiophiles that will notice things like these right away and regular people that will probably never notice.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

the amount of noise could vary according to the surface it's placed on and the surrounding acoustics in the environment which would explain the mixed message coming from DF

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 blueinheaven

People who just bought one commenting on the first impressions thread are all talking about how quiet it is. DF must have got a bad one. They should have asked Sony for a replacement first or at least talked to them about it before announcing to the world how loud it is. Unprofessional.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@blueinheaven said:

People who just bought one commenting on the first impressions thread are all talking about how quiet it is. DF must have got a bad one. They should have asked Sony for a replacement first or at least talked to them about it before announcing to the world how loud it is. Unprofessional.

if theres one there is more, so its better to make note of the one they got and it shows the possibly of getting one that's louder than average but still fully functional.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 blueinheaven

@04dcarraher said:
@blueinheaven said:

if theres one there is more, so its better to make note of the one they got and it shows the possibly of getting one that's louder than average but still fully functional.

How do you know there's more? You're just guessing? All the other reviews say it's quiet and nobody on here has complained about a loud one so DF appear to be an exception. You can't just assume there 'might' be another one unless of course you have some sort of anti-Sony agenda.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Mine is quite a bit more quiet then my PS4 too, so yeah might be a unit to unit basis.

Heat seems like the same, so no difference there.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@blueinheaven said:
@04dcarraher said:
@blueinheaven said:

How do you know there's more? You're just guessing? All the other reviews say it's quiet and nobody on here has complained about a loud one so DF appear to be an exception. You can't just assume there 'might' be another one unless of course you have some sort of anti-Sony agenda.

Its common sense that if there one is there are more. There is always lemons in product lines they are not all perfect.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 blueinheaven

@04dcarraher said:
@blueinheaven said:
@04dcarraher said:
@blueinheaven said:

Its common sense that if there one is there are more. Guess you never worked in manufacturing eh?

It's also possible their review model had a faulty fan or something and it's common sense that if this was going to be an issue for a lot of people there would be people screaming about it all over the internet. They complain about much less than that! Time will tell obviously but IMO they should have contacted Sony who I'm sure would have sent them another unit instead of just claiming as fact in their review that the console is very loud.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

@gago-gago said:
@shellcase86 said:
@davillain- said:

There's certain games and movies where silence gives you a better immersive experience. Once you notice a constant noise from the console or player you're using during these silent parts, it could really get annoying and take you out the experience. This is why there's people who are audiophiles that will notice things like these right away and regular people that will probably never notice.

Thanks for the perspective. I guess mileage varies, huh?

WallofTruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 WallofTruth
Member since 2013 • 3471 Posts

@blueinheaven said:

My Pro is super quiet while playing FF XV with the 4k option. I have the console on my desk, which is just a few inches away from me. I don't even notice it while playing games.