PS4 detailed Gamasutra

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts
""The PlayStation 4 is due out this fall, and its technical specifications have been largely under wraps -- till now. While the company gave a presentation at GDC, the system's lead architect, Mark Cerny, hasn't talked publicly in any great depth about the platform since its unveiling this February. Cerny approached Gamasutra in the hope of delivering a "no holds barred PlayStation 4 hardware expose," he said, during the interview that resulted in this story. "That certainly is what we're here to do," said Cerny, before speaking to Gamasutra for well over an hour. click here What follows is a total breakdown of the hardware from a developer's perspective: the chips on the board, and what they're capable of."" http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/191007/inside_the_playstation_4_with_mark_.php "So, what we do as the game accesses the Blu-ray disc, is we take any data that was accessed and we put it on the hard drive. And if then if there is idle time, we go ahead and copy the remaining data to the hard drive. And what that means is after an hour or two, the game is on the hard drive, and you have access, you have dramatically quicker loading... And you have the ability to do some truly high-speed streaming." I think this ^^ means mandatory install.
zeroyaoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 zeroyaoi
Member since 2013 • 2472 Posts

Everything sounds good so far. I have no issues with instals as long as they provide a hefty HDD.

TruthBToldShow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TruthBToldShow
Member since 2011 • 352 Posts

Mandatory installs are lame.Miketheman83

They are when you have limited HDD space and you have to sit and wait for it to occur.  Doesn't appear to be the case, though.

"So, what we do as the game accesses the Blu-ray disc, is we take any data that was accessed and we put it on the hard drive. And if then if there is idle time, we go ahead and copy the remaining data to the hard drive."

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#5 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
Read the first page, nothing it seems we didn't know already, but Cerny certainly seems on top of his game
Miketheman83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Miketheman83
Member since 2010 • 3156 Posts
Mandatory installs are lame.
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 tormentos
Yes they are but Blu-ray media is not fast enough to feed data fast enough... At least you can play while you install.
Avatar image for GulliversTravel
GulliversTravel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GulliversTravel
Member since 2009 • 3110 Posts

[QUOTE="GulliversTravel"][QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"] :lol:blue_hazy_basic
His analysis is both balanced, optimistic and non-elitist despite the fact that hes also a PC gamer.

Wasdie knows his sh!t, I was laughing at the comment, not Wasdie's knowledge. He can put technical things in layman's terms for us uninitiated.

No I get why you replied like that, but yeah once he enters the thread theres no point reading the rest, he sums it up perfectly and what itll mean for us as gamers. After going away to different forums the maturity here is really lacking on all sides are guilty including the PC elitists.

DISSESHOWEDO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 DISSESHOWEDO
Member since 2010 • 1775 Posts

"It's ATI Radeon. Getting into specific numbers probably doesn't help clarify the situation much, except we took their most current technology, and performed a large number of modifications to it."

GoDstation 4 confirmed !

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts
The PlayStation 4 is due out this fall HNNNNNNNNNG
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

What is it with you consolites and this unfounded fear of harddrives?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50639 Posts

Ok Wasdie, translate this for us please.

Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

I hope launch models will have 500GB HDDs or better.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

PSbe4st

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

not rly, only for anxius teenage kids that cant wait 10 mins to play a game

they make the games runs faster, preserve the utility life of the lens and make the game run better overall.

Mrmedia01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Mrmedia01
Member since 2007 • 1917 Posts

Next Xbox will also do it, because they are using bluray discs also. Problem is bluray is slow. PS3 only had a 1X speed bluray, I heard PS4 will have 6X bluray but its still slow.

As long as they put good sized hard drives in there machines, I am all for mandatory installs. Better for games and keeps the system cooler not running hot off the Bluray Disc. PCs have been doing it since forver and no one has complained?

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

Amazing details.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

Chutebox
:lol:
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

[QUOTE="Miketheman83"]Mandatory installs are lame.tenaka2

Nothing...Its just nice to have the option of playing from the disc. Not a make or break either way.
cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1842 Posts

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="Miketheman83"]Mandatory installs are lame.clone01

Nothing...Its just nice to have the option of playing from the disc. Not a make or break either way.

Ask PC gamers to stream off the disc without HDD install and it'll all go to hell :lol:---but no seriously, HDD is a welcomed sight, that is unless Sony makes their own stupid own proprietary HDD where thats the only HDD that works with the PS4. 

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

[QUOTE="clone01"][QUOTE="tenaka2"]

cdragon_88

Ask PC gamers to stream off the disc without HDD install and it'll all go to hell :lol:---but no seriously, HDD is a welcomed sight, that is unless Sony makes their own stupid own proprietary HDD where thats the only HDD that works with the PS4. 

That was my biggest gripe with MS this gen. I went so far as to hack my old 360 drive to work with my 360 slim. Hate that proprietary sh*t.
Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

nothing new that hasn't been said a thousand times already since Feb 20.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Chutebox

[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

blue_hazy_basic

He's slacking right now :x

GulliversTravel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GulliversTravel
[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

blue_hazy_basic

His analysis is both balanced, optimistic and non-elitist despite the fact that hes also a PC gamer.
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
I hope that game install thing is as quick as throwing a disc in a 360 and playing a game. I really hate installing from a disc on consoles. The performance increase on the 360 games I installed was negligible and totally not worth the install time. I've got SF4 on my PS3 HDD and it's actually slower at pretty much any loading operation than my disc based 360 copy.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Chutebox
[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="Chutebox"]

GulliversTravel

Yes, he honestly is very good at it. I enjoy reading his posts.
Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts

The PlayStation 4 is due out this fall HNNNNNNNNNGHeil68

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

I like his and Ronvalencia's

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="Chutebox"]

GulliversTravel

Wasdie knows his sh!t, I was laughing at the comment, not Wasdie's knowledge. He can put technical things in layman's terms for us uninitiated.
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts

But consoles are supposed to be plug-in and play. Consolites are steadily losing any ammo they had against PC gaming.;)

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 tormentos

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="Miketheman83"]Mandatory installs are lame.MFDOOM1983

But consoles are supposed to be plug-in and play. Consolites are steadily losing any ammo they had against PC gaming.;)

Did you skip this generation.? The PS3 had several games which need install,and when you use the online store everything is install like on PC. I don't have any problem with that,i use to game on PC so it doesn't really bother me.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

tormentos

Did you skip this generation.? The PS3 had several games which need install,and when you use the online store everything is install like on PC. I don't have any problem with that,i use to game on PC so it doesn't really bother me.

I don't see why people wouldn't want to use a hard disc.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="Miketheman83"]Mandatory installs are lame.MFDOOM1983

Didn't you read the thread? You won't have to wait, it'll all just copy onto your hard drive as you play and finish what's left when you're not playing. No barrier between getting the game and playing.
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="GulliversTravel"]His analysis is both balanced, optimistic and non-elitist despite the fact that hes also a PC gamer.GulliversTravel

No I get why you replied like that, but yeah once he enters the thread theres no point reading the thread, he sums it up perfectly and what itll mean. After going away to different forums the maturity here is really lacking on all sides are guilty including the PC elitists.

I'm so beardmad at you right now :evil:
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

""The PlayStation 4 is due out this fall, and its technical specifications have been largely under wraps -- till now. While the company gave a presentation at GDC, the system's lead architect, Mark Cerny, hasn't talked publicly in any great depth about the platform since its unveiling this February. Cerny approached Gamasutra in the hope of delivering a "no holds barred PlayStation 4 hardware expose," he said, during the interview that resulted in this story. "That certainly is what we're here to do," said Cerny, before speaking to Gamasutra for well over an hour. click here What follows is a total breakdown of the hardware from a developer's perspective: the chips on the board, and what they're capable of."" http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/191007/inside_the_playstation_4_with_mark_.php "So, what we do as the game accesses the Blu-ray disc, is we take any data that was accessed and we put it on the hard drive. And if then if there is idle time, we go ahead and copy the remaining data to the hard drive. And what that means is after an hour or two, the game is on the hard drive, and you have access, you have dramatically quicker loading... And you have the ability to do some truly high-speed streaming." I think this ^^ means mandatory install.tormentos

From http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/191007/inside_the_playstation_4_with_mark_.php?page=3

Mark talks about culling which is similar to AMD's own HSA GpGPU for games push i.e. http://www.slideshare.net/zlatan4177/gpgpu-algorithms-in-games Slide 25 for frustum and occusion culling on GpGPU. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viewing_frustum

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

haven´t you heard the news ? 8GB of GDDR5 is mainstream now. Nextbox gonna have 12 GB of DDR4:lol:

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
Sony in beast mode.
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#39 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

There is a history of price gouging customers for expensive proprietary storage and bricking people system's through firmware upgrades if they don't use licensed peripherals. This is a major issue when the platform holder is unreasonably cagey over the way it handles licensing. Admittedly this is more of a concern with MS than Sony. (Steadily) Removing dependence on physical media can also be seen as a trojan horse for draconian-DRM.
GulliversTravel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GulliversTravel
[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="GulliversTravel"][QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"] Wasdie knows his sh!t, I was laughing at the comment, not Wasdie's knowledge. He can put technical things in layman's terms for us uninitiated.

No I get why you replied like that, but yeah once he enters the thread theres no point reading the thread, he sums it up perfectly and what itll mean. After going away to different forums the maturity here is really lacking on all sides are guilty including the PC elitists.

I'm so beardmad at you right now :evil:

Oh no the mods are cool though, like Wasdie and umm blue_hazy!
inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10503 Posts

Thanks for posting. Quite an interesting read, and certainly seems Sony have got the right man for the job of hardware architect this time around.

In layman's terms for those who found some of his tech speak a bore (or just TL;DR):

The PS4 is going to be great for developers to work with; is going to have dedicated hardware for certain processes in operation (that used to be taken up by software, or none dedicated hardware thus slowing it down or increase development times); and is going to have hardware that works all very well with each other with no bottlenecks. It is not designed to be a PC beater, but it has been designed with the future in mind, and should hopefully be a very nice investment.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ronvalencia

haven´t you heard the news ? 8GB of GDDR5 is mainstream now. Nextbox gonna have 12 GB of DDR4:lol:

jhonMalcovich

DDR4 and GDDR5M would be sharing the same SODIMM standard.

GDDR5_M_SODIMM.jpg

EPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 EPaul
Member since 2006 • 9917 Posts

So i read the entire arcticle and all i got was the PS4 would be awesome to develop for

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

[QUOTE="jhonMalcovich"]

ronvalencia

DDR4 and GDDR5M would be sharing the same SODIMM standard.

But 12 GB > 8 GB, so MS wins. :D

*I am kidding*

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

So i read the entire arcticle and all i got was the PS4 would be awesome to develop for

EPaul

No shit, it's nothing more than a PC, just like the next xbox, and of course gaming PCs.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ronvalencia

Thanks for posting. Quite an interesting read, and certainly seems Sony have got the right man for the job of hardware architect this time around.

In layman's terms for those who found some of his tech speak a bore (or just TL;DR):

The PS4 is going to be great for developers to work with; is going to have dedicated hardware for certain processes in operation (that used to be taken up by software, or none dedicated hardware thus slowing it down or increase development times); and is going to have hardware that works all very well with each other with no bottlenecks. It is not designed to be a PC beater, but it has been designed with the future in mind, and should hopefully be a very nice investment.

_Matt_
Making the ACE queue depth smaller and increasing the ACE unit count sounds logical when you have 8 not-so-strong CPU cores. On PC with Intel Core i7-3770, it can generate and submit enough GPU commands to fill 3 large ACE queues. A single Intel Sandybridge/Ivybridge core @ 3.4Ghz(with 3.8Ghz/3.9Ghz Turbo) can cover 3.5 to 4 AMD Jaguar cores @ 2.0Ghz i.e. two AMD Jaguar cores @ 2.0Ghz is roughly equal to one Intel Sandybridge core @ 2Ghz. Note why AMD marketing ships/supplies and recommends Intel Core i7-3770K level CPU for Radeon HD GCN reviews. AMD modified PS4's GCN to fit the targeted CPU. PS4's GCN would be a better fit for multi-threading bias AMD FX CPUs.