PS3=Sega Saturn

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Twisted_Hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Twisted_Hawk
Member since 2005 • 579 Posts
I do not see it turning around anytime soon. I remember reading an article about it, and all the flaws in the system are reappearing on the Playstation 3. Ouch!
Anysteam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Anysteam
Member since 2007 • 67 Posts
dreamcast rules
Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Javy03
Member since 2006 • 6886 Posts

I do not see it turning around anytime soon. I remember reading an article about it, and all the flaws in the system are reappearing on the Playstation 3. Ouch!Twisted_Hawk

And you say this without a link to the article or even examples of how the PS3=Sega Saturn and you also make this claim during a time period where the PS3 is outselling the Wii in Japan, the 360 in some countries in Europe (we dont get NPD from them to know if all) and its sales supposedly tripled in NA.

Nice...

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Lame thought for a lame thread.

This is the 1,596th time someone compared the PS3 to the Saturn.

eh.

AgentA-Mi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 AgentA-Mi6
Member since 2006 • 16713 Posts

Still alive still rocking my dear...

PS3 FTW

EG101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 EG101
Member since 2007 • 2091 Posts
Saturn had some great games and so will PS3. The difference of course is that Sega is not Sony. Sony can afford to launch hardware at a loss and make up for it in the last years of the console while Sega simply couldn't afford to do so. There are alot of simialarities between the Saturn and PS3. They both have complicated multiprocessor hardware that is difficult to program for(Saturn had 9 processors). However the games that were programmed properly looked great. Virtuafighter 2, Panzerdragoon series, segarally and all 2D games looked better than anything else out at the time for any competing consoles. Programmers didn't like the Saturn just as most don't like the PS3. The Saturn launched at a hefty $400.00 price tag with only avg at best games simialarly to the PS3 launch.The problem with the Saturn was that it didn't sell fast enough to make up for the losses Sega was taking which is very simialar to the position the PS3 is in. Good thing Sony has deep pockets.
shadow_hosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 shadow_hosi
Member since 2006 • 9543 Posts

The ps3 can never be the sega saturn

they dont have segada sanshiro

Avatar image for TekkenMaster606
TekkenMaster606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 TekkenMaster606
Member since 2006 • 10980 Posts
More like the Panasonic 3DO or JVC X'Eye. :lol:
DementedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DementedDragon
Member since 2003 • 5095 Posts
PS3 = PS3. :shock:
Liquid-GEAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Liquid-GEAR
Member since 2007 • 1574 Posts
ehhh no.
Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts
TC = Fail
Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts

The ps3 can never be the sega saturn

they dont have segada sanshiro

shadow_hosi

Damn Straight. Segada Hanshiro > ALL.

JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts
lol I heard someone mention this guy in an earlier post but I did not know what they were talking about
Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts
Segata Sanshiro! Segata Sanshiro! Sega Sataan Shiro! xD
Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Gunraidan
Member since 2007 • 4272 Posts

The Saturn had some of the best and most legendary games of all-time (Panzer Dragoon Saga, Grandia, Shin Megami Tesnei: Devil Summoner, Radiant Silvergun, Princess Crown, Burning Rangers).

Hell even in it's first year it delievered (Guardian Heroes, Virtua Fighter 2, NiGHTS, Panzer Dragoon)

The PS3 is nowhere as good as the Saturn in it's early years and is in no way going to be as good as it in it's life end unless some miracle happenes.

Yodas_Boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 Yodas_Boy
Member since 2007 • 857 Posts

PS3 = PS3. :shock:DementedDragon

I was totally going to say that.

Avatar image for kenshinhimura16
kenshinhimura16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 kenshinhimura16
Member since 2005 • 7009 Posts

Dont take now into consideration my sig. Im buying a Wii on X-mas an a 360 when Fable launches. And my new PC is coming soon so I can replay Gears.

Now, to compare the PS3 to ANY Sega Corp console is pathetic and stupid. Both Sega and Sony are completely different. Sega was in a deep hole, covered with lots of problems. Sega was a console only developer, when you produce only 1 thing, and that 1 product fails, you are in one hole that you will most likely be unable to crawl out.

2nd. Sega centered its attention on American tastes, though a big part of the market its not the winner decider, that made their console "unpopular" in the other regions, thus giving more terrain for both Nintendo and Sony. That terrain was easily taken by Sony in 1997 and Nintendo lost it for doing what its being reported nowadays (making 3rd party developers have a hard time).

The Saturn lost terribly for a couple of things that Sony doesnt lack.

1- Terrible lack of First Party quality games. Now, I know this is SW, and most people here have half a brain, but most PS3 exclusives made from 1st Party studios so far have been really good on the score sides, GS aside.

2- Close to no 3rd party support, something that the Genesis actually managed to have. As you can see, be it a fanboy or not, Sony hasnt lost games in terms of games itself. It just lost exclusivities and time exclusiveness deals.

The Saturn left Sega in bad shape, leading them to release the Dreamcast really fast, and as you could see, it actually got attention, but suddenly all their games, except some EA games dissapeared after the first year, while Sonys most popular franchises are coming in 08. The DC was dead after its first year. Also, unlike Sega, Sony can work with a department loss thanks to the popularity of their other products.

If Sega had been a bigger company as Sony is, we would be still seing a Sega console in the market.

PD: I love all consoles, Im one of the few that are proud to be called gamers. I love my hobby of being a gamer, and I couldnt stand not at least playing a console. Even if I hate it.

No, the flaming can come.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

Dont take now into consideration my sig. Im buying a Wii on X-mas an a 360 when Fable launches. And my new PC is coming soon so I can replay Gears.

Now, to compare the PS3 to ANY Sega Corp console is pathetic and stupid. Both Sega and Sony are completely different. Sega was in a deep hole, covered with lots of problems. Sega was a console only developer, when you produce only 1 thing, and that 1 product fails, you are in one hole that you will most likely be unable to crawl out.

2nd. Sega centered its attention on American tastes, though a big part of the market its not the winner decider, that made their console "unpopular" in the other regions, thus giving more terrain for both Nintendo and Sony. That terrain was easily taken by Sony in 1997 and Nintendo lost it for doing what its being reported nowadays (making 3rd party developers have a hard time).

The Saturn lost terribly for a couple of things that Sony doesnt lack.

1- Terrible lack of First Party quality games. Now, I know this is SW, and most people here have half a brain, but most PS3 exclusives made from 1st Party studios so far have been really good on the score sides, GS aside.

2- Close to no 3rd party support, something that the Genesis actually managed to have. As you can see, be it a fanboy or not, Sony hasnt lost games in terms of games itself. It just lost exclusivities and time exclusiveness deals.

The Saturn left Sega in bad shape, leading them to release the Dreamcast really fast, and as you could see, it actually got attention, but suddenly all their games, except some EA games dissapeared after the first year, while Sonys most popular franchises are coming in 08. The DC was dead after its first year. Also, unlike Sega, Sony can work with a department loss thanks to the popularity of their other products.

If Sega had been a bigger company as Sony is, we would be still seing a Sega console in the market.

PD: I love all consoles, Im one of the few that are proud to be called gamers. I love my hobby of being a gamer, and I couldnt stand not at least playing a console. Even if I hate it.

No, the flaming can come.

kenshinhimura16

I don't think you know what you're talking about.

Centered it's attention on American tastes? how? The Saturn was only big in Japan, and sold more than the N64 there.

Lack of first party titles are you serious? The console always moved through first party games.

Lack of third party support? I don't think you are aware of the fact that the Saturn had more than 600 games, more than twice the amount of the N64. Apart from Squaresoft and Enix (who never made games for any SEGA console) the rest of the big name developers made games for the Saturn.

powerserge818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 powerserge818
Member since 2007 • 85 Posts

lol......3D0

what a flop. had potential. but then again.....panasonic.......

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

lol......3D0

powerserge818

Panasonic was only in charge of manufacturing the systems IRRC. the actual company was 3DO.

There were Goldstar made 3DO's as well.

CaptainHerlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 CaptainHerlock
Member since 2007 • 755 Posts

[QUOTE="Twisted_Hawk"]I do not see it turning around anytime soon. I remember reading an article about it, and all the flaws in the system are reappearing on the Playstation 3. Ouch!Javy03

And you say this without a link to the article or even examples of how the PS3=Sega Saturn and you also make this claim during a time period where the PS3 is outselling the Wii in Japan, the 360 in some countries in Europe (we dont get NPD from them to know if all) and its sales supposedly tripled in NA.

Nice...

Don't you know that opinions and facts are interchangable in the 21st century? If you merely state something it BECOMES fact. It deosn't matter if you have information to back it up. Stephen Colbert calls it "Truthiness". ;)

EnergyAbsorber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 EnergyAbsorber
Member since 2005 • 5112 Posts

The Saturn had some of the best and most legendary games of all-time (Panzer Dragoon Saga, Grandia, Shin Megami Tesnei: Devil Summoner, Radiant Silvergun, Princess Crown, Burning Rangers).

Hell even in it's first year it delievered (Guardian Heroes, Virtua Fighter 2, NiGHTS, Panzer Dragoon)

The PS3 is nowhere as good as the Saturn in it's early years and is in no way going to be as good as it in it's life end unless some miracle happenes.

Gunraidan

And Saturn Bomberman was a blast to play as well.

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts

lol......3D0

powerserge818
The 3DO was more of a standard than a specific console. Panasonic made some, but so did Goldstar and a few others. Creative Technology even released a 3DO Blaster add-on ISA card and CD drive that could be had for much less than a console 3DO if you already owned an IBM PC clone. That platform did not have enough games, though, especially given the astronomical 700 US$ price tag for the console renditions. It had some noteworthy titles, namely a Star Control II port with voiceovers and CGI cutscenes(and also upon which the UQM source port is based), a Super Street Fighter II Turbo port with music improved even over the arcade version, Return Fire, and not much else.